Julien Interview

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

Julien Interview

Julien: It's basically out of my hands. The guys know what they're doing. They're the ones on the ice when the puck drops. Audio Link

That's what this interview essentially says.

I thought it was part of the coach's job description to motivate the team. To be  leader of sorts. To sound like he's actually part of the team. But that's just naive, apparently.

I'm not surprised or anything, but this illustrates what I fear most about this series. Not the Habs. Not the refs. Julien.

What does surprise me is that in this video from 4/12, (same interview) he actually looks... under-confident.

"It's not all about the coach!" He keeps insisting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Re: Julien Interview

In Response to Julien Interview:
    [QUOTE]Julien: It's basically out of my hands. The guys know what they're doing. They're the ones on the ice when the puck drops. Audio Link That's what this interview essentially says. I thought it was part of the coach's job description to motivate the team. To be  leader of sorts. To sound like he's actually part of the team. But that's just naive, apparently. I'm not surprised or anything, but this illustrates what I fear most about this series. Not the Habs. Not the refs. Julien. What does surprise me is that in this video from 4/12, (same interview) he actually looks... under-confident. "It's not all about the coach!" He keeps insisting.
    Posted by Bruins-Unite[/QUOTE]

not to defend this guy but if your anyone of those guys in the locker room and need motivation from claude julian to go out and play up to the expectations of the talent in the room then they are going nowhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"It's not all about the coach!" He keeps insisting"

Fortunately it's not the first round I'm worried about it's the 2nd where he gets out coached. Loyal does have a point on that it certainly is up to the players who have the experience and are relied upon to contribute but how much Clode plays the 4th line and when is most definitely on the coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

In Response to Re: Julien Interview:
    [QUOTE]                 "It's not all about the coach!" He keeps insisting" Fortunately it's not the first round I'm worried about it's the 2nd where he gets out coached. Loyal does have a point on that it certainly is up to the players who have the experience and are relied upon to contribute but how much Clode plays the 4th line and when is most definitely on the coach.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

sandog outside of just looking up who was the 4th line say last year for chicago and checking there minutes after every game in boxscore to see how many shifts and minutes they got. is there another way to check that. the reason i ask is because i have heard this point alot lately about how much claude plays the 4th line. i would like to know how much more it actually is?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Suggesting that he looks under-confident is 100% absurd.  That's just looking for somehting to write.

How dumb.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Julien Interview:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Julien Interview : sandog outside of just looking up who was the 4th line say last year for chicago and checking there minutes after every game in boxscore to see how many shifts and minutes they got. is there another way to check that. the reason i ask is because i have heard this point alot lately about how much claude plays the 4th line. i would like to know how much more it actually is? Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

Well the only way is to look at the "game logs" which shows the minutes of each player. http://bruins.nhl.com/club/boxscore.htm?id=2009030221

As an example ,if you can stomach it, above shows who got what during the Bruins last playoff game in 2010. So all you would have to do is go to the Blackhawks site then got to schedule n change it to 2010 playoffs then go to "recap" in the end change it to "box score".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-Unite. Show Bruins-Unite's posts

Dawg: My biggest concern would be round 2, and it was, until I saw this interview. I know Julien as well as anyone can who doesn't interact with him, and he's got guilty dog face lol - something's up but I don't know what.

Loyal: I agree wholeheartedly that they should be motivated. But it's disconcerting to see that Julien is taking this hands-off approach--I'm hoping it's only a media persona. But I doubt it. I have quite a few years of training under my belt when it comes to reading strangers, and based on his past performance, this is what worries me most.

Not-a-sh1t: Everything is simple to a simple mind. Even things that aren't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

if the coach needs to motivate professional grown men for a playoff game then there is no way we are winning......are you serious its the coaches job?  crazy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Dawg: My biggest concern would be round 2, and it was, until I saw this interview. I know Julien as well as anyone can who doesn't interact with him, and he's got guilty dog face lol - something's up but I don't know what. Loyal: I agree wholeheartedly that they should be motivated. But it's disconcerting to see that Julien is taking this hands-off approach--I'm hoping it's only a media persona. But I doubt it. I have quite a few years of training under my belt when it comes to reading strangers, and based on his past performance, this is what worries me most. Not-a-sh1t: Everything is simple to a simple mind. Even things that aren't.

unite we are on the same page. i mean do i wish julian was a more confident, vocal leader ya of course. but go around the league who does it for u as far as coachs go. they are all pretty much poker-faced guys. maybe u could make a case for quennevillle,tortorella,renny(because of young team)and boudreau,which this guy is the perfect example of someone who is the exact opposite of julian and boston fans would probably love but is there a guy in the world who has done less with more. bruce broudeau makes julian look like a playoff genius. so its all about putting in your system getting it to work in all sitautions and getting the players to buy in. the guys who are able to this are guys like bylsma,laviolette and hitchcock. other than that half these look like they need to be woken up from a nap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

This is probably nit-picking but I can't stand it when coaches say--as Claude did in the DuPont article today--we believe we can "compete for" a Stanley Cup.

To me, this has always been code for "we know we're not actually good enough to "win" the Stanley Cup, but if we tweak the wording juuuuuusssst a little bit, we are telling the fan base what they want to hear without putting our necks out there that we believe the team we've built (Neely and Chia have also repeatedly used the "compete for" mantra) is capable of actually winning the d*mn thing.

Again, maybe reading too much into it....but it seems to me that if the coach and mgt. were really confident about the team they;'re running out there they'd at least be bold enough to say "we believe we can win the Stanley Cup this year." That's not the same as saying we "will", but it sounds a lot better to my ears than "compete for."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

It's not a player's job to recognize that he simply doesn't have it in a game and reduce his own role.

Some people are confused about this.

Some people seem confused about exactly what a coach does.

Some people think that coaches are nothing more than figure heads.

They're wrong.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

has anyone here actually coached before? i've been a wrestling coach for many years. from my experience, you coach/guide those athletes that are still in the learning process. when an athlete reaches that "elite" level, there's not much coaching to do. you keep them focused, and make in-match/game decisions, if needed. these guys are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES, they don't need a cheer leader behind the bench. they need a composed leader, who believes they can accomplish their goal. if pro athletes need a rah rah coach, they are mentally weak. motivation should come from within. they have a sucessful system, and they personnel to get it done. GO DO IT  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Suggesting that he looks under-confident is 100% absurd.  That's just looking for somehting to write. How dumb.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Not only does he look under-confident, he sounds under-confident.

OK, let's set aside the issue of motivating players.

Self confidence on the part of any leader in any situation has an effect on the subordinates, whethere that is a president of a company, a president of a country, an army captain or the leader of an expedition into the amazon or north pole.

It matters.  It has an effect  - on players and fan.  Is it the *most* important thing?  No.  But it matters.  There is parity in the NHL today and the difference between winning and losing is slight and it's the little things that will make a difference.

That and the power play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

what was expected of julien's comment? " we're giong to win every game and win the cup?" hockey players and coaches are for the most part very self-depricating and humble(one reason why i love the sport so much). i don't get what he SHOULD have said? who cares? what matters is what he's saying TO THE PLAYERS! talk about overanylizing a non-issue 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Julien Interview:
    [QUOTE]Julien: It's basically out of my hands. The guys know what they're doing. They're the ones on the ice when the puck drops. Audio Link That's what this interview essentially says. I thought it was part of the coach's job description to motivate the team. To be  leader of sorts. To sound like he's actually part of the team. But that's just naive, apparently. I'm not surprised or anything, but this illustrates what I fear most about this series. Not the Habs. Not the refs. Julien. What does surprise me is that in this video from 4/12, (same interview) he actually looks... under-confident. "It's not all about the coach!" He keeps insisting.

Wow.
    I am blown away by this interview.
    It is quite apparent that he is reminding himself to say the right things.

Some of the wrong things he said.

On the Bruins "a pretty good hockey team" (said slowly)
    On Lucic "pretty good" (said slowly)
    On the Habs "they are a good team, let's not kid ourselves" (this answer just burst out of him)

"I've tried to do the job every year"

"we hope our team will be at their best"

He seems to be making excuses already, he seems apologetic, he seems confused.

He seems overly rigid and defensive, example- "I'm coaching like every other year" like every other year he did exactly the right thing?

He is certainly dispassionate.  Not one hint of any kind that HE WANTS TO WIN.

One thing for sure, I am less confident in them winning after I heard this press conference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]what was expected of julien's comment? " we're giong to win every game and win the cup?" hockey players and coaches are for the most part very self-depricating and humble(one reason why i love the sport so much). i don't get what he SHOULD have said? who cares? what matters is what he's saying TO THE PLAYERS! talk about overanylizing a non-issue 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

i agree with both of your last 2 post adk. i dont know how high a level coached but either way u coached. dont u believe with the higher the level the less motivation actually comes from a coach. i have never been a coach at any level but from what i have seen and heard its the leaders in the locker room who motivate each other and coaches impalement there systems and make adjustments before and during games. maybe that was part of the down fall of last years playoffs i dont know. all i do know is it worked for the first 3 games and the 3-0 lead in game 7 so who is at fault. its been debated at nauseum by everyone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

For all the Boston fans out there, it's ok when someone like Belicheck says something like this but not Julien? Julien's job to the media is to tell them the least amount possible so it doesn't end up on the other teams bulletin board. Coaches aren't the same to reporters as they are with the team. Anyone who needs to pump his team up or wake his team up through the media, doesn't have the atttention of the team.

Bad-Hab - He seems.....reserved as we go into the first playoff series. You want him to act like this is his first rodeo?

I am less confident that any of the Julien haters will give him a chance in the playoffs and already think he should be fired regardless of what happens in the post season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Tired of the talk from Jacobs on down to the players. Show me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

badhab...sounds to me like you were NEVER confident the bruins will win, and your looking for excuses why they won't. please tell us what YOU would have said TO THE MEDIA in clodes position. this should be good

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

btw, loyalblackNgold... i have coached hs state champions- and am one myself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, so it's only the players and the only job of the coach is to sit behind the bench and say 'line 1 now', 'line 2 now' and so forth.

And players are totally professional, the crowd NEVER encourages them or discourages them.  They are professional and that doesn't effect them.

And players are totally profressional and there is no such thing as a 'locker room cancer' type player who demoralizes his own team mates.

If you believe all that stuff I just said, and you think this has been debated 'ad nauseum', then fine.  Disregard this thread and put me on ignore.

To claim that "he looks under-confident is 100% absurd" - I have to ask, did you see that interview?

He looks nervous, guilty and scared.

Watch this video - How to give testimony on the witness stand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMA3dhtvEV0

Then look at Julien's video.

For God's sake,   if you don't notice any similarities, then you are in denial.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]btw, loyalblackNgold... i have coached hs state champions- and am one myself.

that's awesome i have a ton of respect for coaches. i wasn't saying anything derogratory the opposite actually. i wanted to get an idea the higher the level of competition the less motivation players get from coaches and the more they relie on it from inside themselves and others players on team is all.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

loyal...you are completely correct in your assessment. the coach keeps his hands on the steering wheel and the players press the gas pedal. even more so at the pro level.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]badhab...sounds to me like you were NEVER confident the bruins will win, and your looking for excuses why they won't. please tell us what YOU would have said TO THE MEDIA in clodes position. this should be good

Sure I would have said the Canadiens are a good team, but we're a good team, too.

In my mind the strongest phrase he used was   "make no mistake"  - I would have made sure to say that once about my team.

I wouldn't be using words like "hope" and "trying".  I'd maintain eye contact.  I wouldn't be shifting around in my chair.

In short, I would do everything I do when I give a presentation at a meeting at work.  I wouldn't dare say that the IT people are professionals and at the end of the day it's going to be their responsibility and so on, no you don't say that, you don't say the obvious - that just starts to cast doubt on something that should be done.

I mean, that even works if I tell my wife I'll take her out to dinner, how would it go over if I said "I'm going to take you to the nicest restaurant in town.  The cooks are professionals and they know what to do, so all I can do is drive you there".
    How would that go over if you said that to your wife?

If I were him, I would make it known that I want to win,  I wouldn't spend so much time trying to distance myself from my players.

That's only what I would do, but there are many strategies that would work.

The tuna for example - being combative with reporters shows you've got fire in the belly.

There's a million ways to do it right, there's a million ways to do it wrong.

Guys, say what you want, but his pressers are not doing it for me, period.  It is a media event.  For who?  Players?  Management?  The press?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's the coach speaking to the fans for the most part.  A message to the fans.

Say what you want, I don't like it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Julien Interview : Sure I would have said the Canadiens are a good team, but we're a good team, too. In my mind the strongest phrase he used was   "make no mistake"  - I would have made sure to say that once about my team. I wouldn't be using words like "hope" and "trying".  I'd maintain eye contact.  I wouldn't be shifting around in my chair. In short, I would do everything I do when I give a presentation at a meeting at work.  I wouldn't dare say that the IT people are professionals and at the end of the day it's going to be their responsibility and so on, no you don't say that, you don't say the obvious - that just starts to cast doubt on something that should be done. I mean, that even works if I tell my wife I'll take her out to dinner, how would it go over if I said "I'm going to take you to the nicest restaurant in town.  The cooks are professionals and they know what to do, so all I can do is drive you there ". How would that go over if you said that to your wife? If I were him, I would make it known that I want to win ,  I wouldn't spend so much time trying to distance myself from my players. That's only what I would do, but there are many strategies that would work. The tuna for example - being combative with reporters shows you've got fire in the belly. There's a million ways to do it right, there's a million ways to do it wrong. Guys, say what you want, but his pressers are not doing it for me, period.  It is a media event.  For who?  Players?  Management?  The press?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's the coach speaking to the fans for the most part.  A message to the fans. Say what you want, I don't like it.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth I agree he looked like the deer in the headlights, and one that knew the truck was coming. He's not an idiot--he knows if the B's don't get out of round 2 he's history.  He also knows the PP has been on life support since Savard got KO'd and that Kaberle hasn't brought it completely back to life.

I think that thought process is starting to show to the media.

But we'll find out starting tomorrow night whether it's all overblown hooey or not.

Sections
Shortcuts