JULIEN SYSTEM - I may be wrong in ripping it apart....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

JULIEN SYSTEM - I may be wrong in ripping it apart....

In hoping that people actually read and/or pay attention to my post on these discussions, if so, its no secret that I am not a big fan of the CJ 'system'.....with that being said, I may be wrong in constantly tearing it apart!!

I watched intently the Carolina-Dallas game last night; family was out shopping so was loving life watching a game in silence w/ an adult beverage in hand.....anyway, I estimate at least 15 blatant scoring opportunities for the teams combined between the circles; and as would make sense thats where most of the games goals were scored!!!

Again, I am not fully satisfied as I would like to see more pressure in the offensive end, not allowing teams to gain the red so easily, gap up more, & perhaps a little less of a collapse in zone; but witnessing other teams defensive schemes as basically open arms in their own zone, maybe CJ is simply eliminating those opportunities as the #1 priority and whatever else happens around their defensive cylinder he'll take those chances.

I realize this is only two teams in the league....but CJ is probably scared stiff to not allow his teams that vulnerability.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Re: JULIEN SYSTEM - I may be wrong in ripping it apart....

Good defense results in turn overs and odd man rushes which the B's are getting but cant bury them.  Maybe with Savy there they will.  Once a team like theB's gets that first goal it's game over much more often than not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In Response to Re: JULIEN SYSTEM - I may be wrong in ripping it apart....:
    Good defense results in turn overs and odd man rushes which the B's are getting but cant bury them.  Maybe with Savy there they will.  Once a team like theB's gets that first goal it's game over much more often than not.
    Posted by mattbs

Good forechecking results in turn overs and the Bs dont forchek well. Another observation I have noticed is chara for one rarely uses his slapshot, no ones afraid to block his shot anymore because there dumb slow wrsishots.
    Yes the system needs to change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puckstopa. Show puckstopa's posts

I too constantly rip CJ, and I grew up as a goalie so I do love some defense and goaltending but wallydoaglas is right but so is Juliens system if worked efficiently.  I believe CJ stifles his own offensive players by making them play in his defensive system, but it does work when the Bruins have a lead.  So my recommendation, that which will go unnoticed by Bruins brass, is why not let the B's play the game early on free of the defense and trapping offense. 

Start the game by telling to boys to go out there and score and take chances, then with the talent on this team Horton, Krejci, Seguin, Bergeron, Lucic, Savard, etc. they will score and put up goals when allowed to just play the game and worry less about their defensive responsibilities.  Then when you grab a lead get into the defensive mode and contain the other team.

I feel that is why OLD#81 would have never succeeded here and what might lead to a similar issue with Seguin.  Come on Claude let the kids play a little.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

After the Orr era up until the Pat Burns era the B's had many years with some of the best forecheckers in the league.  What did that get them?  

I would change the Clode system if we had offensive players like Ste Louie/Stamkos, Ovy/Semin, Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Towes, etc... but we don't at this point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

You are right in that Claude's defensive structure does limit offensive creativity and SLOW the game down. This is Claude's mantra and everyone must buy into it, as even CHIA is quoted as saying " I'm disappointed in the team's play, but "our system" is good." IMO the "system" has been decoded by more NHL teams, like Atlanta, and they are blowing it apart

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

You are right in that Claude's defensive structure does limit offensive creativity and SLOW the game down. This is Claude's mantra and everyone must buy into it, as even CHIA is quoted as saying " I'm disappointed in the team's play, but "our system" is good." IMO the "system" has been decoded by more NHL teams, like Atlanta, and they are blowing it apart
    Posted by Bogie6

Yep Clode has expired. Teams know what the B's do and know how to beat it. The team looks completely confused entering the offensive zone and forks the puck over more often then not. Im sick of watching the bruins struggle in all 3 zones like they do. They cant break out of the Dzone, half the forwards are standing still in the nuetral zone, and they turnover the puck entering the Ozone wayy to often. Atlanta and MTL look so crisp transitioning from one zone to another.

So it comes down to wether you think this team has the Talent and just is not performing(wherein you question CJ) or if you think this team has a lack of talent and is performing adequetly (Where the flaws are PC's fault). I happen to think the Talent is there and something just isnt clicking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Number of shots is a meaningless stat if you have a goalie who stops 99% of the shots he sees and has an angle on.  In fact, good defense and goaltending often inflate the shot totals of the opposition because they revert to "it's never a bad idea to shoot the puck."  And guess what?  It is a bad idea to shoot the puck when you have almost zero chance of scoring, zero chance of getting to the rebound before the defense, and a high chance of being caught deep if you miss the net and the puck rings around and starts the breakout.  That's the whole point of protecting the middle of the offensive zone - make them take shots that are effectively give-aways.  If there's a problem with that coverage, it's that good players will resist the temptation and hang on to the puck until someone makes them give it up.

Incidentally, the Bruins have yet to lose this year when they've scored the first goal.  But no one would know that because when was the last time that was a relevant stat?

Why not let them start the game taking chances?  Because just about every team in the league would be slavering at the opportunity to counterattack.  When you take chances, you accept the risk that you're going to give up more chances against.  Often the chances you give up are better than the ones you generate - odd man rushes etc.  A team that has had as much trouble burying chances as this one is more likely to find itself down two or three goals playing that style than up.

The point is this - create scoring chances.  Work harder to create scoring chances.  I really hate the complaining about the system when the problem is the players not burying chances when they get them, and not working hard enough to create them.  The system doesn't keep you from creating or from carrying the puck.  The players are simply not working hard enough to forecheck deep in the zone, then hustle back to their defensive responsibilities.  If I were PC, I'd buy Claude a kevlar vest and explain to the players that dude is bulletproof until I see a full 20-man effort night in and night out.  Play hard within the system and if the Bruins still lose, then we know it's the system.  Nap for 40 minutes then rage back - while playing the exact same system - and all you've proven is that you're not good enough to win playing 20 minutes a night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

After the Orr era up until the Pat Burns era the B's had many years with some of the best forecheckers in the league.  What did that get them?   I would change the Clode system if we had offensive players like Ste Louie/Stamkos, Ovy/Semin, Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Towes, etc... but we don't at this point.
    Posted by mattbs

This is exactly right. As frustrating as CJ's "defensive box system" is, it is necessary b/c the Bruins don't have the high speed/high scoring talent other teams have. Maybe Savard will change that to some extent, but he's more effective on the PP and even the potent Krejci/Horton/Lucic line isn't built for speed or explosiveness...it's best as a forechecking unit quartbacked by smart feeds from #46.

The Bruins most glaring lack is in that overused--but not for this team--term "puck-moving defenseman." The bruins don't have it. They are slow, tentative, and big in their own end. They have guys who can hit like mcQuaid and Stuart and Boychuk, but their best "move 'em out" D ,an is Seidenberg, and he aint no Brian Campbell or Mike Green. Because of this the Julien box system is the best thing the Bruins D can play, and it works to an extent. It asks the goalies to play above their heads and they usually do, but these things catch up to you and fast teams like Atlanta and Montreal and hard forechecking teams like Philly and Washington are going to bury the B's unless the team is made over, and fast.

This is not a problem of coaching or "effort", but one of talent--or the lack thereof. The Bruins are a team lacking in explosive offense and puck-moving defense. They have good to great goaltending and a solid D that only plays solid when it's defending in a structured box system, and can't be depended on to create offense.

That spells a team that might sneak into the playoffs, but won't get past round 1...maybe 2 at best.

One roll of the dice I would try is take Seguin off the leash and pair him with players of greater talent than the likes of Paille and Thornton, who are only holding back his progress.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I have noticed the last few losses that the B's have come out blazing and taking chances they were down 3 goals before the end of the second.  I believe the Carolina game comes to mind most.  

They are without Savard and Krejci.. this team aint gonna light it up.  They are better off to try and win 2-1 games until they are healthy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes!   Another thread about the coach!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Dont read it then NAS....just move on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: JULIEN SYSTEM - I may be wrong in ripping it apart.... : This is exactly right. As frustrating as CJ's "defensive box system" is, it is necessary b/c the Bruins don't have the high speed/high scoring talent other teams have. Maybe Savard will change that to some extent, but he's more effective on the PP and even the potent Krejci/Horton/Lucic line isn't built for speed or explosiveness...it's best as a forechecking unit quartbacked by smart feeds from #46. The Bruins most glaring lack is in that overused--but not for this team--term "puck-moving defenseman." The bruins don't have it. They are slow, tentative, and big in their own end. They have guys who can hit like mcQuaid and Stuart and Boychuk, but their best "move 'em out" D ,an is Seidenberg, and he aint no Brian Campbell or Mike Green. Because of this the Julien box system is the best thing the Bruins D can play, and it works to an extent. It asks the goalies to play above their heads and they usually do, but these things catch up to you and fast teams like Atlanta and Montreal and hard forechecking teams like Philly and Washington are going to bury the B's unless the team is made over, and fast. This is not a problem of coaching or "effort", but one of talent--or the lack thereof. The Bruins are a team lacking in explosive offense and puck-moving defense. They have good to great goaltending and a solid D that only plays solid when it's defending in a structured box system, and can't be depended on to create offense. That spells a team that might sneak into the playoffs, but won't get past round 1...maybe 2 at best. One roll of the dice I would try is take Seguin off the leash and pair him with players of greater talent than the likes of Paille and Thornton, who are only holding back his progress.
    Posted by TryToBearIt

THIS !  Very very frustrating to watch. 
    Now about that puck mover , HA ,  Montreal plays the exact same system as Julien.  They clog the front of the net and have Price get shots from the outside.  The difference is they have 2 , Suban and Markov, (now only one with Markov injured) good puck moving D's . 

Sections
Shortcuts