Juliens use of the 4th line..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Juliens use of the 4th line..

We all know how Claude likes to roll 4 lines. Thats fine, but I'd like to see him pick his spots a little better. Lucic scores the 2nd goal to tie the game, Lundqvist is angry,Bruiins are taking it to them, Torts has the Pyatt line out there, and Julien kills all momentum by sending the 4th line out there. Result: Thornton fails to get the puck out of the zone and Rangers go up...Would have liked to seen Bruins try capatalize on some momentum and send the Bergeron line out, even the Kelly line. Big part of the game and it came back to haunt them. it's okay to skip the 4th line for a shift.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Juliens use of the 4th line..

I see your point but I have no problem with how CJ distributes his lines. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Besides I a sure Thornton got the message when his a** was stapled to the bench for the rest of the game.

Overall, having 4 competent lines is a luxury few teams have as the Rangers will find out this year when they put all their stars on the top line for the rest of the year. The line matching itself has its risks and rewards.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I too have no problem with rolling 4 lines. Long term it's a great approach and there is something to be said for wearing down your opponent. It worked well enough against the nucks. And if you look at the TOI the 4th liners are on the bench more than the other 3 lines. Last night Paille and Campbell were in the 10 min. range, thorts only had 8 shifts for 4:18 TOI. That was about 2 shifts too many though. However, kel, you chose the right words...I think sometimes CJ needs to pick his spots better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

I see your point but I have no problem with how CJ distributes his lines. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Besides I a sure Thornton got the message when his a** was stapled to the bench for the rest of the game.

Overall, having 4 competent lines is a luxury few teams have as the Rangers will find out this year when they put all their stars on the top line for the rest of the year. The line matching itself has its risks and rewards.....

agreed.roll 4 lines, but certain situations call for certain personnel. I like to pour gas on a fire, not water.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

agreed.roll 4 lines, but certain situations call for certain personnel. I like to pour gas on a fire, not water.

True, but there may be circumstances in which perhaps the 4rth line is simply the best option of the time. Maybe the bergeron or kelly line need an extra breather or whatever the circumstances. There are many variables at play here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

kelv I remember several times last year where CJ did the same thing and the 4th line scored within 30 seconds. It was just unfortunate that this time it didn't work out. At least they salvaged a point after only playing 2/3 of a game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

kelv I remember several times last year where CJ did the same thing and the 4th line scored within 30 seconds. It was just unfortunate that this time it didn't work out. At least they salvaged a point after only playing 2/3 of a game.

Exactly. Sometimes it works, other times, not so much. Last night it didn't....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Caron skating in Thorntons spot would be nice. Maybe dress Thornton for the Sabres and Flyers but other than that I don't see the point in him even playing. I'm not saying this because of the play last night, just how I've felt for a while now.

Though to Thorntons credit, for a goon he is usually responsible with the puck. I HATE his long shifts though, just get off the ice... please.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I see what you're saying Kel, but you have to remember in the 1st period the 4th line was the only one going & putting any pressure on the Rangers. You can't very well start sitting them after they played their hearts out & outworked the other 3 lines on the team. It's almost a catch 22. I think it was just a bad break where the least talented player on the team cost them a goal. It happens. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Caron skating in Thorntons spot would be nice. Maybe dress Thornton for the Sabres and Flyers but other than that I don't see the point in him even playing. 

Though to Thorntons credit, for a goon he is usually responsible with the puck. I HATE his long shifts though, just get off the ice... please.

The long shifts are bad enough but it's extra frustrating seeing him glide back to the bench. He actually got sent back to the ice by the ref after an icing in game 1 due to his failure to hustle to the bench.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I think "several" might be a bit of an overstatement considering Thornton, Campbell, and Paille combined for 22 total goals last year.

Of course, the power of the internet allowed me to do a little bit of research.  Last season, the Thornton, Campbell and Paille never scored within 30 seconds of a Bruins goal.  There were three occasions when it was within 40 seconds.

Over the course of 82 games, and the amount of goals that team scored, going three for the season is pretty dang terrible.

I've been mentioning the fourth line momentum killers for years.  Someday, maybe Julien will listen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Several means 3. Sorry I was off by 10 seconds in my estimate. Based off the stats you got my memory doesn't seem so bad after all.

If you want to go one further to say that they are as bad as you're claiming can you see how often other lines scored within 40 seconds of a previous goal for a comparison?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Caron skating in Thorntons spot would be nice. Maybe dress Thornton for the Sabres and Flyers but other than that I don't see the point in him even playing. I'm not saying this because of the play last night, just how I've felt for a while now.

Bingo. Less is more ST.  Get off the ice and stop dangling like you are good.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

It certainly was, a "momentum killing goal", but the way it happenned didn't bother me that much.  Thornton tried to chip the puck off the boards/glass, which is always the safe, proper play.  It just didn't work. It's not like it was a bone headed, high risk play.  Same with Ferrence.  No wood, deflection, blocked shot, whatever, those things happen, and that's when a team scores.  

The way the big dogs were playing in the first period, shoulda been 6-0 anyway, so I don't see Thorton as the scapegoat.

It was a good entertaining game and it was nice to see the B's having the edge after that embarassing first.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I almost never complain about CJ rolling the 4th.  On Wednesday vs the Rangers however I was just about to scream when I saw Campbell out on the ice late in the third.  Then he got the game tying assist, and I went back to not complaining. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I almost never complain about CJ rolling the 4th.  On Wednesday vs the Rangers however I was just about to scream when I saw Campbell out on the ice late in the third.  Then he got the game tying assist, and I went back to not complaining. 

No direspect intended with this post Ricky but.......

Thinking there is a set of rules in place to when 4th liners should be playing is a thought many feel should be followed. Coaches coach by feel of how certain players are playing at that time.... not by some archaic thought of what hockey's Ten Commandments should be.

Julien must have thought that Campbell was playing well at the time for him to put him out there that late. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Thinking there is a set of rules in place to when 4th liners should be playing not by some archaic thought of what hockey's Ten Commandments should be."

Just becuase someone disagrees with you when the 4th line should be out on ice doesn't mean that type of coaching is archaic thinking. Having your best skilled, best puck possesion players on the ice late in periods gives some coaches better odds of not giving up a goal.

While on the subject of the 4th line, Julien has them click early this season. So imprssive this season especially Paille.

Sections
Shortcuts