July 1st: Free Agent/Trade Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: July 1st: Free Agent/Trade Tracker

Brassard gets 5 per for 5 years. Seems high to me but they know what they're getting in NY. He's a decent player but I would think he ranks pretty low among the NHL's 2nd line centers.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/cashing-in-rangers-sign-brassard-to-five-year-25-million-deal/

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Arbitration is just part of the business. PK could still re-sign again in Montreal regardless of whether he goes through it or not. Now if the hearing gets overly contentious then that could change things but it's not guaranteed.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/while-subban-isnt-talking-contract-he-wants-to-be-a-montreal-lifer/" rel="nofollow">http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/while-subban-isnt-talking-contract-he-wants-to-be-a-montreal-lifer/

-Gerry Dee

I've never heard of a player that didn't get driven thru the mud by the team during an arbitration hearing, but I guess you could be right on this one because I'm sure PK's heard pretty much all the negativity by now anyway. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Brassard gets 5 per for 5 years. Seems high to me but they know what they're getting in NY. He's a decent player but I would think he ranks pretty low among the NHL's 2nd line centers.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/cashing-in-rangers-sign-brassard-to-five-year-25-million-deal/" rel="nofollow">http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/cashing-in-rangers-sign-brassard-to-five-year-25-million-deal/

-Gerry Dee

Yea I agree dez, but I guess it's more his value to the team moreso than an overall comparison across the league. Especially once the whole Richards soap opera was done. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Man, why do so many people think a team should roll over like Yellow Lab looking to get it's belly scratched for every good player they have?  Oh no!  PK might decide to leave as a free agent several years from now - give him 49% of the franchise, a house in Westmount, $14M a year for 100 years, and pay for Lebron James to be his butler! 

Fk it.  Go to arbitration, take a 1 year award, and come right back and do it again next year.  He'll still be a RFA.  If he has a whackjob of a year and wins another Norris, great - try to sign him long term.  If he decides he wants Kane and Toews money, tell him to go yodel and trade him to Edmonton for a buttload.

Any team that starts letting their top players dictate how they run the team is on its way to Leafdom.  PK, we can put aside this much in the budget for you.  Not enough?  Okay, well, Edmonton has room for that contract....

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Man, why do so many people think a team should roll over like Yellow Lab looking to get it's belly scratched for every good player they have?  Oh no!  PK might decide to leave as a free agent several years from now - give him 49% of the franchise, a house in Westmount, $14M a year for 100 years, and pay for Lebron James to be his butler! 

Fk it.  Go to arbitration, take a 1 year award, and come right back and do it again next year.  He'll still be a RFA.  If he has a whackjob of a year and wins another Norris, great - try to sign him long term.  If he decides he wants Kane and Toews money, tell him to go yodel and trade him to Edmonton for a buttload.

Any team that starts letting their top players dictate how they run the team is on its way to Leafdom.  PK, we can put aside this much in the budget for you.  Not enough?  Okay, well, Edmonton has room for that contract....

I totally disagree! It's not that simple to just tell a player to pi ss up rooe book. Your far more intelligent than to make this sort of comment. I agree about you're explanation about how it should be, but that's a mute point you made. Arguably PK is one of the best at his position, but you saying "OK Edmonton has room for this contract!" that's a pi ss poor answer. PK is a top talent & is just as worthy to get paid as all the rest of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I totally disagree! It's not that simple to just tell a player to pi ss up rooe book. Your far more intelligent than to make this sort of comment. I agree about you're explanation about how it should be, but that's a mute point you made. Arguably PK is one of the best at his position, but you saying "OK Edmonton has room for this contract!" that's a pi ss poor answer. PK is a top talent & is just as worthy to get paid as all the rest of them.

First of all, it's not a "mute point", it's a "moo point". It's a cow's opinion.  It doesn't matter.

Joking aside, if every team would do this, it would shift the tides.  "I really want to stay here.  I really want to be a XXXXXX for life."  Oh yeah, well we owe it to our fans to try to win the Cup.  If you really want to stay here, sign THIS deal.

If not, hey, it's not a problem.  There are plenty of teams that will be happy to have you and man, we'd get a king's ransom in return!  

-

Remember when Keith Tkachuk used to hold Phoenix under the knife once a year for a new deal?  They kept caving.  What good did that do?  O'Reilly has been farting around with his contracts in Colorado and he's a young guy.  Send that crap packing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Since the Habs gave Eller $3.5mill per season on average and $4.75 in his last year of the contract, Brassard is definitely worth $5mill per season in this market.

So Krecji is definitely going to be valued at $7mill now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@NHLFREEAGENTS

"Detroit RedWings re-sign Tomas Tatar to a 3 year contract #NHL"

They call me Tater!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

See, the thing is, you don't have to be a jerk about it. Who said anything about him not getting paid?  Negotiate a deal in good faith.  If he decides he wants to use his future FA rights in the bargaining, well, fine - use your current arbitration rights.  I'm also not saying you should try and scroo him down to less than Orpik or something stupid like that.  Go in and say look, he's not Shea Weber, and he's not Zdeno Chara, and he's not Erik Karlsson, Doughty, Suter or Keith.  We think PK is a top ten defenseman and if you look at his Norris voting results the last two years, he won one and he wasn't close the next year, so take the average and give him $6.75M to put him in that category.

How is that insulting?  He'll come back with a number that would make him the highest paid player in the game, the arbitrator probably lands on Letang and you're done.  Then you go back to him again and say look, we don't think you're the best in the game, but we're willing to put you up there with Suter in terms of Cap Hit if you're willing to go 8 years.  Then you negotiate and if you find out he wants $10M (as I wrote above, Kane and Toews money) then you get rid of him.  Because in the Cap era, no player is good enough to put that many eggs in a basket.

Just as an aside on Kane and Toews: heard some sports jock on ESPN talking about the Seahawks and how short the window is in the NFL because once young guys win, then it's all about getting paid.  Old guys who got paid will take less for a shot at a ring; young guys who've won now want to celebrate in style.  I have no doubt that Kane and Toews, not knowing any better after two cups before the age of 26, are completely convinced that they should get ego money and that they'll keep winning rings.  I'm wondering what Keith thinks, or the guys who know they'll be moving soon.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

@NHLFREEAGENTS

"Detroit RedWings re-sign Tomas Tatar to a 3 year contract #NHL"

They call me Tater!

Less than $3M per for 19-20-39 in 73 games: a .534 points/game pace playing only 14:21 a night.

Krejci: 19-50-69 in 80 games.  .863 point/ game, playing 19:07. 

Tatar plays about 3/4 of the ice time Krejci gets and scores 3/5 as many points.  He also doesn't have Lucic and Iginla on his wings, and he tied Krejci in goals even playing significantly fewer total minutes.

I guess Krejci's UFA salary just dropped back to about $5M.

[Why do we get all thyroids-a-poppin' about Krejci and Boychuk when someone hands out stupid money, but we never look at the smart money?]

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[Why do we get all thyroids-a-poppin' about Krejci and Boychuk when someone hands out stupid money, but we never look at the smart money?]

What no playoff stats for tater tots ?

He's 23 and played one full NHL season. I must have missed the first arbitration hearing for Krejci. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

TOMAS TATAR--23 yo...105 NHL games...24 G  23 A  48 P...2.75 M cap hit

REILLY  SMITH--23 yo...134 NHL games...27 G  38 A  65 P...???? M cap hit

Looks to me, that SMITH is going to get 2.5M - 3M, and KRUG will get even more than that.

IMO, at least 2 players currently under contract, will no longer be Bruins, by November.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:

TOMAS TATAR--23 yo...105 NHL games...24 G  23 A  48 P...2.75 M cap hit

REILLY  SMITH--23 yo...134 NHL games...27 G  38 A  65 P...???? M cap hit

Looks to me, that SMITH is going to get 2.5M - 3M, and KRUG will get even more than that.

IMO, at least 2 players currently under contract, will no longer be Bruins, by November.

Nice point! Anyone care to rebut this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

As per TSN:

The Winnipeg Jets announced Tuesday that the team has agreed to terms with winger Michael Frolik on a one-year contract worth $3.3 million, avoiding salary arbitration.

Both general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff and Frolik's agent Allan Walsh were scheduled to meet for their arbitration hearing on Thursday.

Frolik, 26, scored 15 goals and tallied 42 points with the Jets last season. The one-year contract means he could be eligible for unrestricted free agency next summer unless a new contract can be reached.

Frolik, who was acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks in a trade last summer, finished a three-year deal that saw him earn $1.9 million last season with a $2,333,333 cap hit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll rebut - I did on the other thread jm started but I'll do it again here because, hey, repetition is the soul of wit.

What the Wings pay Tatar (or the Jets Frolik) has no bearing on what the Bruins pay Krug or Smith.  Yes, these salaries would be cited to establish the "market value" of the players, but in the absence of any mechanism that would allow the players and their agents to assert that the player should be paid market value, that isn't worth anything.

Tatar was an RFA.  Smith and Krug are Group 1 players who do not have RFA (Group 2) rights.  I'm not sure, but they may even be subject to the $925K limit on EL player salaries, and eligible for bonuses.  If that's the case, I think PC could consider signing them to 2 years at $925 plus a hefty bonus package.  It would perpetuate the bonus cushion issue they have this year, push it back a couple of years, but if you push it far enough back you hit the point where Chara eventually retires and you get $7M to play with.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Tatar was an RFA.  Smith and Krug are Group 1 players who do not have RFA (Group 2) rights.  I'm not sure, but they may even be subject to the $925K limit on EL player salaries, and eligible for bonuses.  If that's the case, I think PC could consider signing them to 2 years at $925 plus a hefty bonus package.  It would perpetuate the bonus cushion issue they have this year, push it back a couple of years, but if you push it far enough back you hit the point where Chara eventually retires and you get $7M to play with.

Not to play devil's advocate Book but if that really were the case, if you are 100% right on this, then they would have been signed many moons ago because there is simply little to no room for numbers in this scenario. But, for some reason, they are still unsigned. I do not think there is stalling with regard to simple bonuses. That would be ridiculous. Something else is at play here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Not to play devil's advocate Book but if that really were the case, if you are 100% right on this, then they would have been signed many moons ago because there is simply little to no room for numbers in this scenario. But, for some reason, they are still unsigned. I do not think there is stalling with regard to simple bonuses. That would be ridiculous. Something else is at play here.

Yup.  It's summer.  You're bored and looking for conspiracy. 

1. The Bruins managed to find a way to pile bonuses on Iginla to the tune of over $4M.  That's a lot of wiggle room for what the bonuses might be.  The CBA has an example that says you can give a guy a $225K bonus for 20 goals and another $225K for 30 goals.  Same for assists, games played etc.  There are actually a lot more details to work out in a bonus scenario than there are if it's simply a question of salary.

2. Chiarelli's track record, and his comments, suggest that he wants to do right by these guys and not put the screws to them.  There may not be gun to his head, but he may want to sort out other factors to see what he can do rather than pull his pockets out now to show what he can't.

3. The Bruins may well be looking to move players like Kelly, Boychuk, Bartkowski, McQuaid, Miller, and even Krejci on the outside.  Those things may actually take precedence for Chiarelli's attention over something that is relatively straightforward where both sides know the outcome in advance and there's little real negotiating to be done.

4. People on this board were practically pooping themselves over the same "why hasn't it happened yet?!!?!?!?" thinking with Marchand's last deal.  Timing doesn't always mean what you want it to mean.

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No conspiracy here. PC has "found the time" to deal with other minor signings in a timely fashion (the exception being Fraser). I just seems that if it is so cut and dry then there really is no reason not to have this done and out of the way so he can tend to more "important things."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Those are far more simple, though jm.  Surely that's obvious.  All of those guys have done nothing to prove they're NHL players, and most if not all are looking at the coming season and absolutely salivating at the chance to make the roster.  I would bet all of the decisions on those players were made at the post-mortem in the same three week period when they were deciding whether or not to bring back Thornton and Iginla.  Pretty simple, really: 1) do we still want player x?  If yes, 2) do we qualify player x?  If yes, 3) what do we offer player x?  and 4) are we willing to negotiate?

My points 1-3 in the previous post were intended to show that, even if there aren't complications, finding the right way to structure the deals and thinking about the future of these players with the club isn't necessarily simple.  The complexity doesn't have to be a question of fighting about money, and it especially doesn't have to lead to Krug or Smith getting $3M per.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

All that said, I'll repeat the caveat above: I haven't been able to confirm whether they are subject to the EL cap or not, only that they have no RFA or other rights to use as leverage (and Crowls did that - credit where due).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

All that said, I'll repeat the caveat above: I haven't been able to confirm whether they are subject to the EL cap or not, only that they have no RFA or other rights to use as leverage (and Crowls did that - credit where due).

Would be interesting to know for sure. Perhaps Stanley has some insight? :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigBadnBruin. Show BigBadnBruin's posts

Both players are the same age, and were drafted in the same year (2009). Why would they not be at the same stage of contract rights?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The "other" Hayes brother just re-upped in Florida. As per NHL.com:

The Florida Panthers have signed forward Jimmy Hayes to a one-year contract, avoiding salary arbitration, the team announced Tuesday.

Tim Wharnsby of CBC.ca reported it is a one-way contract. Financial terms were not disclosed, but Harvey Filakov of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported the contract will pay Hayes $925,000. 

The arbitration hearing was scheduled for later Tuesday.

Hayes, who was a restricted free agent, had 11 goals and 18 points in 53 games for the Panthers in 2013-14 after arriving from the Chicago Blackhawks in a trade on Nov. 14.

"We are pleased to have reached an agreement with Jimmy," general manager Dale Tallon said in a statement. "We look forward to his continued contributions to our team both on and off the ice."

Hayes, 24, has 17 goals and 31 points in 96 career NHL games. He was a second-round pick (No. 60) in the 2008 NHL Draft and spent three seasons at Boston College before signing with Chicago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@NHLFREEAGENTS

"St. Louis Blues signed Peter Mueller to a one-year, two-way contract #NHL"

Now what are the Bruins going to do ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Easy.  Trade Lars Volden for him, send him to Malmo for six years, then bring him back to centre the third line.

Sections
Shortcuts