July 1st: Free Agent/Trade Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: July 1st: Free Agent/Trade Tracker

In response to BigBadnBruin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All that said, I'll repeat the caveat above: I haven't been able to confirm whether they are subject to the EL cap or not, only that they have no RFA or other rights to use as leverage (and Crowls did that - credit where due).

Are you not entertained?!?!

[/QUOTE]

Both players are the same age, and were drafted in the same year (2009). Why would they not be at the same stage of contract rights?

[/QUOTE]

All sorts of reasons.  Your contract rights are based on a whole pile of things - particularly, when did you sign your first pro contract, at what age, and how long for?  You know how players who sign pro deals but then go back to junior don't burn a year of the contract if they play fewer than 10 games?  Part of the same set of calculations.  In both the case of both Smith and Krug, they signed at an older age than Tatar and then played fewer pro seasons under their deals.  There's a minimum number of pro seasons (mix of AHL and NHL depending on when you first signed your SPC) you have to play to be considered an RFA.  The NHLPA CBA is available on line - google it and then search for the EL provisions.  Or just PM Crowls....

[object HTMLDivElement]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Here's the fourth UFA Nonis has signed to a one-year deal this off-season:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/leafs/2014/07/28/daniel-winnik-signs-toronto-maple-leafs/13281463/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Peter Mueller signs two-way deal with Blues....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

As per TSN:

The Toronto Maple Leafs signed restricted free agent defenceman Jake Gardiner to a five-year contract on Tuesday.

The deal is worth $20.25 million with an average annual value of $4.05 million per season.

The 24-year-old defenceman scored 10 goals and 11 assists in 80 games with the Maple Leafs in 2013-14. He is coming off the final year of a three-year entry-level deal he signed prior to the 2011-12 season worth an average annual value of $1.117 million including performance bonuses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

As per TSN:

The Toronto Maple Leafs signed restricted free agent defenceman Jake Gardiner to a five-year contract on Tuesday.

The deal is worth $20.25 million with an average annual value of $4.05 million per season.

The 24-year-old defenceman scored 10 goals and 11 assists in 80 games with the Maple Leafs in 2013-14. He is coming off the final year of a three-year entry-level deal he signed prior to the 2011-12 season worth an average annual value of $1.117 million including performance bonuses.

[/QUOTE]

Leafies decided to lock him up rather than bridge deal him and end up with a higher AAV in the next deal. Slight overpayment for this guy at this point but they must be counting on his continued development. I actually like Gardiner....I think he'll live up to the money overall. But their D still sucks and they will not even come close to winning a cup and their wingnut, delusioned fans will continue to think differently and pump money in to the TO waste factory.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leafies decided to lock him up rather than bridge deal him and end up with a higher AAV in the next deal. Slight overpayment for this guy at this point but they must be counting on his continued development. I actually like Gardiner....I think he'll live up to the money overall. But their D still sucks and they will not even come close to winning a cup and their wingnut, delusioned fans will continue to think differently and pump money in to the TO waste factory.

[/QUOTE]

Soft and inconsistent, perfect fit for TO's back end....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

As per TSN:

With both sides scheduled for their hearing on Friday, the Montreal Canadiens and restricted free agent PK Subban have set up their respective asking prices in salary arbitration.

According to Ken Campbell of The Hockey News, the Canadiens submitted an offer of $5.25 million on a one-year contract, while Subban - represented by agent Don Meehan of Newport - is asking for $8.5 million.

The one-year offer from the Canadiens would still make Subban a restricted free agent with arbitration rights next summer.

Subban, who signed a two-year deal worth an average annual value of $2.875 million contract prior to the 2012-2013 season, scored 10 goals and added 43 assists in 82 games with the Canadiens in 2013-14.

So......7-7.5 mill then?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I've been assuming it will be something in the Letang range for a while.  No way do I make him the highest paid D in the league though.  Not a chance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been assuming it will be something in the Letang range for a while.  No way do I make him the highest paid D in the league though.  Not a chance.

[/QUOTE]

Especially since he will still be an RFA after this one year contract (assuming that is what it is).....it is as a UFA where he will really clean up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm just not as bullish on the contract market as some.  I don't think he's going to do a whole lot better next year on a longer term deal.  I could see him getting his $8.5 over 8 next year, maybe, but he won't get 8 figures.  Any GM who gives him that should be fired. 

All I can think when people talk about Subban breaking the bank is "man is Duncan Keith underpaid".  I mean, he's got a back-diving deal, but even in terms of real cash, his cheques are smaller than any two time Norris winner's should be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yeah, no kidding. The Hawks were smart to lock him up long term early. Bergevin should have taken note, so he will pay the price for nickel and dime short term bridge deals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...you're just yanking my chain, right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hahaha....tell me you don't think the Habs would have been better off locking Subban up at $5mill for 5-6 years instead of that ridiculous 2 year bridge contract at $2.75mill...that was low ball even then.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Big news out of the Peg! As per TSN:

The Winnipeg Jets are bringing back forward Matt Halischuk.

The unrestricted free agent agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way deal with the Jets on Wednesday that is worth $725,000 at the NHL level.

The 26-year-old had five goals and five assists in 46 games in his first season in Winnipeg. He also missed 28 games with a forearm injury.

Halischuk signed with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent last summer after splitting his first five NHL seasons between the New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators.

The Toronto native has 30 goals and 34 assists in 203 NHL contests.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:[QUOTE] Peter Mueller signs two-way deal with Blues....  [/QUOTE]

Now PC has to scramble.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hahaha....tell me you don't think the Habs would have been better off locking Subban up at $5mill for 5-6 years instead of that ridiculous 2 year bridge contract at $2.75mill...that was low ball even then.

[/QUOTE]

Do the math.  Say he gets $7.25 this year $8.5/8 next year.  That will mean they paid him: $13.25M for the first three years + $68M for the next 8 for an 11 year total of $81.25M.

If they give him $25/5, Subban is a 28 yr old UFA after 5 years.  If the cap hit for the highest paid D-man goes up an average of $500K/year over those 5 years, and if Subban is still playing at a level that has him requesting $8.5M now, then $10M is not an unreasonable number to project for Subban's subsequent deal.  So take the $25M you pay him for the hypothetical deal Bergervin "should" have signed and add the 6 years to get to the same end date as the comparison above and ... $85M/11 years.  Note that it's pretty hard to say the number here is high if you're in the camp that already thinks he's going to get much more than $8.5M on a long term deal.

Add that Subban, for all the raw talent he'd shown, was no lock to win a Norris when he did, and was not as good last year as he was coming off of signing a deal that gave him a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.  Bergevin made him prove he should be paid like one of the top D in the game; PK polished his resume. Even if that had cost the Scabs a couple of million, that's great risk management.  Basically, you've insulated yourself against Subban going all Tyler Myers.  AND you get not one but two more opportunities to go back to the table with him as an RFA, each time with more evidence of what kind of player he really will be over his career. 

I've laid this out a couple of times before.  The talking points on this are wrong.  Bergevin got this right; having to pay a player for performing well is not a mistake, but paying him before he's performed at that level sure is.  (See Brassard, Derick).

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:[QUOTE] Peter Mueller signs two-way deal with Blues....  [/QUOTE]

Now PC has to scramble.

[/QUOTE]

Mueller would've been a good chance to take on a two-way deal....

now let's see if PC's gamble pays off that one of the kids can step into the third line and pot a few goals.... 

[object HTMLDivElement]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Gardiner gets 5 years at 4.05 per season in Toronto.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=727447&navid=nhl:topheads

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

The Subban stuff I find amusing. 90% of the posts on here 2 years ago was about how the guy was a hot dog who only cared about himself....how his teammates hated him....how he was poison and a cancer and a pariah and all those other things. 

Now it's "What a Maroon Bergevin was to not have locked him up long term 2 years ago. Subban is an awesome talent who deserves to be one of the highest paid players in the NHL. How could the Habs have nickel-and-dimed him 2 years ago."

Hey, being a GM is great if you have Doc Brown's DeLorean. For guys like Bergevin who don't have the benefit of that or a crystal ball, it's a little more precarious. The Habs played the cards the right way at the time: Bookboy is 100% right. That's not to say they can't/won't screw things up in the future, but the revisionist history to what the Habs should have done really is just that: a complete revision of how Subban was perceived and what he'd proven to that point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Kennedy97's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Subban stuff I find amusing. 90% of the posts on here 2 years ago was about how the guy was a hot dog who only cared about himself....how his teammates hated him....how he was poison and a cancer and a pariah and all those other things. 

Now it's "What a Maroon Bergevin was to not have locked him up long term 2 years ago. Subban is an awesome talent who deserves to be one of the highest paid players in the NHL. How could the Habs have nickel-and-dimed him 2 years ago."

Hey, being a GM is great if you have Doc Brown's DeLorean. For guys like Bergevin who don't have the benefit of that or a crystal ball, it's a little more precarious. The Habs played the cards the right way at the time: Bookboy is 100% right. That's not to say they can't/won't screw things up in the future, but the revisionist history to what the Habs should have done really is just that: a complete revision of how Subban was perceived and what he'd proven to that point.

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the opinion that GM's need to take advantage of RFA status every time they can. Even when Stamkos signed his most recent deal I thought it made little sense. Why give a guy offer sheet money unless an actual offer sheet is on the table? RFA status is one of the few leverage points that GM's have at their disposal. They should use it when they can. BTW, Subban has always had his supporters and his detractors on this forum. That hasn't changed much at all in the last 2 years. Go back and look at the old threads and you'll see it's mostly the same people saying the same things.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@NHLFREEAGENTS

"New Jersey Devils sign Andy Greene to a five-year $25 million contract #NHL"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

@NHLFREEAGENTS

"New Jersey Devils sign Andy Greene to a five-year $25 million contract #NHL"

[/QUOTE]

I wonder what this means for JB? (Kidding!!!) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kennedy97's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...Bookboy is 100% right.....

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the opinion that GM's need to take advantage of RFA status every time they can. Even when Stamkos signed his most recent deal I thought it made little sense. Why give a guy offer sheet money unless an actual offer sheet is on the table? RFA status is one of the few leverage points that GM's have at their disposal. They should use it when they can. BTW, Subban has always had his supporters and his detractors on this forum. That hasn't changed much at all in the last 2 years. Go back and look at the old threads and you'll see it's mostly the same people saying the same things.

[/QUOTE]

dez, I agree but with the caveat that there are times when you have a Stamkos, a Tavares, who has been in the NHL since birth (or close to it) and he's clearly a franchise player type.  Those guys, I have no issue if they get more than a bridge RFA deal.  I mean, use RFA to ensure they get something "in the market" rather than the market setting deal they might get via an offer sheet or if they were completely free.  But do it rarely.  I really do think RFA should be about making guys truly earn those huge paydays.

In Bruins terms, I'm not over-fond of the Lucic or Seguin deals, but they were signed on the cusp of a lockout, so I guess you roll the dice a bit.  Plus, Lucic's is a third contract.

[object HTMLDivElement]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:[QUOTE] @NHLFREEAGENTS

"New Jersey Devils sign Andy Greene to a five-year $25 million contract #NHL" [/QUOTE]

I wonder what this means for JB? (Kidding!!!) [/QUOTE]

I was going to put "there's Books comparable" but I saw that "100%" comment and didn't want to interrupt any basking in glory. He needs to take one victory lap at a time...pace himself. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

haha, one small victory for Book, one giant leap for......