July 1st, Savard and Cap Space

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

July 1st, Savard and Cap Space

Does anyone know how Savard's LTIR status is accounted for during the off-season before and after July 1st?

Seems unlikely the Bruins will have an answer on his return prior to the July 1st free agency period, so I'm curious as to what cap space number they'll be dealing with up until his decision is made.

Kaberle, Marchand, Recchi, Ryder, free agent signing. It all really starts with Savard, doesn't it?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Re: July 1st, Savard and Cap Space

Ryder's performance is making this an interesting dilemma.  If he continues to shine, do we resign him?  If yes, he won't get $4M.  Maybe $2.5M.

Or do we dump him and Recchi, and use that money (maybe $5M) for Kaberle?

Yikes...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This is going to be an issue. I don't see it being resolved before July 1. My guess is Savard is going to takeis time, hard to blame him, and see how he feels. Does put the B's in a little of a bind though cuase even if he does come back, like he did this past year, he was a shadow of his former self..Tough situation for all involved, but Savvy does deserve to get a chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I don't see Savard's situation being rectified until training camp at the earliest. Maybe that's when he starts skating to see how it goes. We all know that anyone on LTIR doesn't count against the cap during the season until they are activated, but I'm not sure how that works during the off-season. Since teams can also go over the cap by a small percentage until the season starts, do LTIR salaries count against that overage or not?

I'd love to share/swap/hear ideas on Kaberle, Recchi and Ryder, but it's hard to have those discussions until we know what $$ they are dealing with.

Help! Anyone?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

If Ryder has a great post-season i can live with him under 3 M.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't care if Ryder scores a goal every game from here on out. In fact if he does, more reason to be fustrated with him.Great shot, big body and good skater...Much too inconsistent to be resigned for any dollar amount.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

i think they should deal with Ryder based on his play in THIS post season.  you need a sniper this time of  year  and he is playing great, he needs the consistency in the regular season, but if he pots 20 goals I would say sign him for 2.5 - no more

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

It's hard to argue with what Ryder has done in the post season so far. He has simply stepped up his game. I would resign him in the $2.5m range. As for Kaberle, he's been a bust IMHO. The only team in the playoffs without a PP goal and he was supposed to be the difference maker. This series would be over if we were getting any production from thr PP.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Savard will remain on LTIR until he is activated, which won't happen until at earliest training camp.  During that time, they can exceed the upper limit by his cap hit.  Also, from July 1st to the last day of training camp, they can exceed the upper limit by 10% of the cap - so about $6M this year.

This means they will be covered at least until the end of training camp.  If the Bruins make some signings, and Savard decides to play, that would be decision-day.

I am unsure what rules there are with respect to the timing of retirement.  Certainly if Savard retires during the off-season his cap hit goes away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Ryder has had 2 good games in this series after being invisible for the first 3 games and being awful during the regular season.  

I think his future with the B's hinges on what happens the Claude, if the B's get into the Conf. finals and Claude keeps his job then I think there is a good chance Ryder will be resigned (at a lower number than $4mil).  But if the B's lose this series or even the next and Claude gets dumped then no Ryder.

Personally I think Ryder should be gone regardless of playoff performance, give Caron as chance next year or sign someone who won't take the whole regular season off like Ryder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2

Plenty of Julien type UFA forwards heading to free agency. If I had it my way Ryder, Recchi and Kelly would be told the cliche that "the organization is going in a different direction" or in other words "thanks but no thanks you did a swell job last spring".

The cap should go up 2Mil to 62Mil so that will give PC just around 8Mil to work with. Erik Cole, Kobasew, Brooks Laich, Tanguay all available, to name a few, and all better than the alternatives above. I want some veterans who can put the puck in the net when Bergeron and Krejci go into week long slumps.

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

I'd rather have Wisniewski or Pitkanen than Kaberle at this point. Then watch as 50 posts are started that Burke ripped Chiarelli off let TO have the late pick in the 1st round and 3rd rounder so be it Tomas was a rental that PC over paid for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

In Response to Re: July 1st, Savard and Cap Space:
    [QUOTE]http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2 Plenty of Julien type UFA forwards heading to free agency. If I had it my way Ryder, Recchi and Kelly would be told the cliche that "the organization is going in a different direction" or in other words "thanks but no thanks you did a swell job last spring". The cap should go up 2Mil to 62Mil so that will give PC just around 8Mil to work with. Erik Cole, Kobasew, Brooks Laich, Tanguay all available, to name a few, and all better than the alternatives above. I want some veterans who can put the puck in the net when Bergeron and Krejci go into week long slumps. http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2 I'd rather have Wisniewski or Pitkanen than Kaberle at this point. Then watch as 50 posts are started that Burke ripped Chiarelli off let TO have the late pick in the 1st round and 3rd rounder so be it Tomas was a rental that PC over paid for.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrr. Show NeelyOrr's posts

[QUOTE]Ryder's performance is making this an interesting dilemma.  If he continues to shine, do we resign him?  If yes, he won't get $4M.  Maybe $2.5M. Or do we dump him and Recchi, and use that money (maybe $5M) for Kaberle? Yikes...
    Posted by olsonstephanie[/QUOTE]
    Ryder has saved our bacon twice. If he continues with this in the series, than he deserves some consideration. But not at 4 million. Maybe 2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=F&fa_type_id=2 Plenty of Julien type UFA forwards heading to free agency. If I had it my way Ryder, Recchi and Kelly would be told the cliche that "the organization is going in a different direction" or in other words "thanks but no thanks you did a swell job last spring". The cap should go up 2Mil to 62Mil so that will give PC just around 8Mil to work with. Erik Cole, Kobasew, Brooks Laich, Tanguay all available, to name a few, and all better than the alternatives above. I want some veterans who can put the puck in the net when Bergeron and Krejci go into week long slumps. http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php?year_id=2011&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2 I'd rather have Wisniewski or Pitkanen than Kaberle at this point. Then watch as 50 posts are started that Burke ripped Chiarelli off let TO have the late pick in the 1st round and 3rd rounder so be it Tomas was a rental that PC over paid for.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I have to agree with you on James Wisniewski. I would take him in a heartbeat over Kaberle. This guy knows how to quarterback a powerplay. He has a great shot, excellent puck mover and is capable of breathtaking end to end rushes. I was actually upset when the Habs aquired him, because I knew he would pay dividends for them. With him being a UFA & only 27 I would much rather throw the money his way. Could you imagine Chara & Wisniewski on the point together?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ErnestoGiove. Show ErnestoGiove's posts

Kabelre has shown nothing of interest that makes me want to sign him in the off season. He reminds me of a slower Wideman.Yes Wideman. The Montreal goals seems to come off of him plus he lacks emotion. I think Recchi hangs them up this year and Sturm signs a 1MM/1yr deal to try again in Boston. His chemistry with Bergie is amazing. Notice all those Habs/Bruins videos, he was a great go to guy. Marchand has to sign and Ryder under 2.5 is ok. Now you need someone from the backend, a PP guy (yes I realize Kaberle is a PP guy, but just not getting it done). There might be a slight - and I mean slight - chance they take a run for Weber. Also, a nice note on the side, if Phoenix does move to Winipeg, there might be a lot of players asking the GM they don't want to go to Winnipeg - might be a fire sale!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Unbelievable. Ryder is out to lunch all season long, and everyone here is crying "Get rid of Ryder! He's useless!" Now, he steps it up in the playoffs and it's "We gotta re-sgin Ryder, we need the guy." The Bruins need Michael Ryder like Aretha Franklin needs bacon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ryder?  Seriously.  Man I am gonna start selling you guys swamp land in Florida.  Ever hear of someone playing for a contract.  The sooner Ryder is gone the happier I will be. 

Glad he is helping us in the playoffs but imagine Brooks Laich in his spot for the same cash.  You instantly have a perfect compliment for Bergie and Marchand. 

I wouldnt give Ryder the league minimum. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

It's good to see him playing well and making a difference (after all he is getting paid well) but I agree with Shupe whole heartedly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

Look I understand Ryder is playing well and all, but please. Once his contract runs out let him go. Use that money on a better player that shows up everyday. Not every 10 games. We need to retool our front lines with what i think should be faster, skilled players. If Ryder/Boston wants to resign here. I would not give him more then $1.5 mil. Sorry, but i think he earned his pay already. Now he needs to deliver for the B's. Now to Kaberle. What a waste of a pick and good future prospect this was. At this moment I would probably rather have Kampfer playing the point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Dr.CC has settled the Savard scene. There are 4 UFA s on the Bruins, Kaberle, Recchi, Ryder, and Hnidy. Kaberle is playing himself into UFA and some other destination. Chia will have to bite the bullet on Colborne and the pick. Noone expected Kaberle to be so soft in the defensive zone. Recchi, we all love him, but please do not sign up again. It's really tough to watch age drag down a great player. Ryder, send him to the moon, do not pass go, just pass away. Need to sign Marchand, no if ,ands, or buts. How did Kelly even enter this discussion? He is signed thru next year, as is Pev,Campbell,Paille and Thornton. Does anyone really think Thorny belongs in any respect? Caron should be replacing him NOW. Kreji line is set, or should be; Bergeron needs a big, fast right wing who can score; Kelly and Peverly need another strong speedster who can score[ a bonus if Bergie's slot is filled] Campbell and Paille are Ok, but no longer need Thorny. If I had my druthers, I would trade Boychuck. He is just not smart!!! Ference has been solid and is signed; as are Chara, Seidenberg, and McQuaid, who is an amazing bargain at $500K. Kamfer deserves a shot, and the marketplace could replace Kaberle and Boychuck. Khudobin needs to be signed, and the incentive would be there if Timmy were traded and Rask noted as the alternate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Thanks DrCC. The explaination helps. I'm surprised at how much space they have, especially if Savard is out.

So being conservative, let's say the cap doesn't move much and ends up at $61,000,000. Savard doesn't come back, or at minimum his $4.0 salary does not hit until such time he does and decisions can be made at that time. The Bs really do have some good money to throw around. Why not dream big?

- Ryder ($4,000,000)
    - Recchi ($1,950,000)
    - Savard ($4,000,000)

+ Kaberle ($3.0 mil x 3 years)
    + Marchand ($2.25 mil x 4 years)
    + Erik Cole. UFA LW ($4.0 mil x 3 years)...up from last contract of $2.9/2 year
    + Drew Stafford. RFA RW ($3.5 mil x 3 years)...up from $1.9/2 year

How reasonable are those numbers? Still under cap. New balanced lineup:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Cole-Bergeron-Marchand
    Seguin-Peverly-Stafford
    Kelly-Campbell-Thornton/Paille

Chara-Seids
    Kaberle-Ference
    Boychuck-McQuaid

Boom. Cup.

Have fun with the CapGeek calculator. Enjoy:

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator/index.php?teamId=29

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Asmaha, not so fast. Eric Cole HAS been a solid player, but the emphasis is on HAS. Kaberle HAS NOT shown capability in his own defensive zone. Emphasis on NOT. He gets run over more than Ference.Stafford has been a Bruins Killer in some games this year, but do you even think that Buffalo will let him go? The Bruins need to add someone who will be a "killer" against all other teams. Finally, your Boychuck/McQuaid duo would be a disaster with Boychuck's lack of smarts, plus his insecurity when he passes ONLY to his other D. Kamfer could do a better job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Maybe something like thsi would fly Bogie.

Minus Kaberle (4.25)
    Minus Ryder (4.0)
    Minus Recchi (1.95)
    Minus Krejci (Trade, 3.75)

Marchand 3 years $7.5 (Cap Hit $2.5)
    Brooks Laich 4 years $13M (Cap Hit $3.25)
    Steven Stamkos (7.0)
    Caron (1.1)

Lucic - Stamkos - Horton
    Marchand - Bergeron - Laich
    Caron - Peverley - Seguin
    Kelly - Campbell - Paille
    Thornton

Chara - Boychuk
    Seidenberg - Kampfer
    Ference - McQuaid
    Bartkowski

Total Cap Hit (Including Buyout of Patrick Eaves): $57,498,333

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I like your optimism on Stamkos, but Boychuck needs to be traded for some one with speed , and most of all, SMARTS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I personally would love for PC to use whatever resources he had to sign Shea Weber!