Just a fact I been a bruins fan for forty years how about you:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sndeane. Show sndeane's posts

Re: Just a fact I been a bruins fan for forty years how about you:

In the early '90s, going to Bruins games and sitting near the fan who would declare "ANDY MOOG!  ANDY GODDAMN MOOG!" every time Moog made a save.  He even had a t-shirt that said "Andy Goddamn Moog" he'd wear to games.  He was an awesome fan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I was about 4 or 5 when I found hockey through my brother going to St John's Prep.  Bobby Carpenter was a senior there and was the talk of the town with the SI cover and all. 

Started following the Bruins after that.  Brad Park's Gm7 OT winner vs Buffalo in the '83 Adams Division Finals was the moment I became a die-hard.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Is it summer already?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nature abhors a vaccuum, NAS, and a Bruins blog abhors success.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

1971 for me. A lot of the same memories for me. I LOVED the Big Bad Bruins...read the book, played bantam hockey...Bobby Miller's dad coached me for a short time...I skated like Taz, no brakes LOL, so I guess I was a lost cause.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Just a fact I been a bruins fan for forty years how about you::
    [QUOTE]Is it summer already?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Hey Mr. Sarcastic,
    Check the weather outside, it's like 60.  Sure feels like summer weather round here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

I was born in 1971.  Bruins won Cup in 1972.  Waited 40 years for 2011 baby!  Feels good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thanks Chowda, a day later I remembered Gilles Marotte, forgot Pit Martin, but in those early days most information came from the sports page as I could only squeeze out two games a year in person from my paper route earnings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Just a fact I been a bruins fan for forty years how about you::
    [QUOTE]Thanks Chowda, a day later I remembered Gilles Marotte, forgot Pit Martin, but in those early days most information came from the sports page as I could only squeeze out two games a year in person from my paper route earnings.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

At first when you were saying a French Canadian who was a good hipchecker I ( like grizzlybear ) also thought of Leo Boivin . Then I realized you were talking about the Bruin who went the other way in the Pit Martin deal, Gilles Marotte who also was good at that.

Paper route money and sports only from the papers. How times have changed eh ?

One question for you bogie. In your earlier days did you you keep your interest up with the Bruins by listening to games on the radio ? That's what I did although it was in the 60's. I'm curious how early in your life were you able to this if you did it at all ?

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

Thanx for the memoirs bruins fan even you NAS, i still have an autograph black and white photo of the famous orr goal classic. Paper routes and radio those were the days, wooden sticks and leather shoulder pads and road hockey pretending to be my fav. bruin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rubberduck. Show rubberduck's posts

since 1968 for me ! the year after they had a long lengthy yearly subscription for last place in the standings. The TRADE (espo...) and Cheeeeeeevers made me love the bruins even though i was only around 12 years old then. I remember all the fuss around Orr coming to the B, wayne makis' stick slashing of Teddy, of course the 2 cups and the one they missed out in between because of Dryden. I'd also like to forget the too-many-men-on-the-ice game...Vadnais coming to B, at that time he was advertised as second to Orr, but unfortunately never happened, the so-called 50 goal scorer Walton when he was traded to B. What a thrill it was to see Orr skating up the ice all by himself at the Forum, nobody could catch him, only a dirty hit could stop him. By the way i'm a Montrealer!  Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Fan since '93. I was 5 at the time.

Best B's memory? It may just be because it is fresh, but I can't imagine going to anything better.
    Thursday night: Sitting at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Maryland (where I live), and cause a scene of biblical proportions when Ryder pots the game winner in game 4.
    Car ride home (in the back seat, of course), and take a quick look at stubhub for game 5 (god bless smart phones)....my drunken self says "Prior to fees and such, it's $150/ticket in the 13th row of the balcony...not bad". I buy 4, and invite my roommate from Florida, who just watched his first hockey game.
    Take the road trip on Friday, and take him and my two other friends to game 5. Rocking my Kessel jersey with "Blame Canada" written over the name, and biting the free terrible towel which everyone received prior to the game, and screamed my throat to shreds. Almost peed when Thomas made the save right in front of us, and tore through the towel when Price lost the puck in his feet. Had a full beer spilled on me when Horty netted the game winning goal, and I'd imagine the feeling was similar to a coach getting ice-bucketed after a super bowl victory; instead of fighting, I simply hugged the person who did it. I viciously made out with the chick I brought to the game shortly following the stale (don't they stop selling beer halfway through the 3rd or something?) budweiser bath.

$650 and an 8-hour road trip? What a gamble, but boy was it worth it.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco. Show rusco's posts

I am 55 now, and have been a B's fan since I was about 9 or 10. Even though I now Live in sweden. I catch as many games as I can on the web.GO B'S !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]Fan since '93. I was 5 at the time. Best B's memory? It may just be because it is fresh, but I can't imagine going to anything better. Thursday night: Sitting at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Maryland (where I live), and cause a scene of biblical proportions when Ryder pots the game winner in game 4. Car ride home (in the back seat, of course), and take a quick look at stubhub for game 5 (god bless smart phones)....my drunken self says "Prior to fees and such, it's $150/ticket in the 13th row of the balcony...not bad". I buy 4, and invite my roommate from Florida, who just watched his first hockey game. Take the road trip on Friday, and take him and my two other friends to game 5. Rocking my Kessel jersey with "Blame Canada" written over the name, and biting the free terrible towel which everyone received prior to the game, and screamed my throat to shreds. Almost peed when Thomas made the save right in front of us, and tore through the towel when Price lost the puck in his feet. Had a full beer spilled on me when Horty netted the game winning goal, and I'd imagine the feeling was similar to a coach getting ice-bucketed after a super bowl victory; instead of fighting, I simply hugged the person who did it. I viciously made out with the chick I brought to the game shortly following the stale (don't they stop selling beer halfway through the 3rd or something?) budweiser bath. $650 and an 8-hour road trip? What a gamble, but boy was it worth it.....
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Some of those spur of the moment trips are much better than even ones that are well thought out or planned out ahead of time. I had  somewhat simmilar expereince feeling the sting and a little intoxicated you could say after the bruins lost game 6 to the habs I said to my friends lets go to game 7 there is no way we will let them lose. Well we got tickets and the bruins lost 0-2 in 2004. Trip was still very fun but the loss was just crushing you could hear a pin drop on the 6 hour ride home from maine and as drunk as a i was I couldn't get a min of sleep. Glad you got a winning memory at least.

Really good stuff expecialy reading from some of the old timers and also enjoyed the posts of the old garden and I will never forget that old smell as a youngster going to a couple games there  year with my dad. It was a dump but that place had character wish it was still standing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Just a fact I been a bruins fan for forty years how about you::
    [QUOTE]Forty years staying faithful with the Big Bad Bruins, And it finally paid off again. Just quick memories: Bobby Orr Goal, Jonathan fighting Bouchard, The Bruins jumping into a brawl with the NYR fans, Esposito famous speech at the summit series, Cam Neely trade, the Don Cherry coaching era " and of course the 2011 cup run. "  This only a few that I came up with for this brief moment; refresh my memories with your fav. Bruins moments.
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

About 54 years, thanks to my first hero Leo BOVIN.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

50 Years -- The 3 cups -- the 1st in 1970 when I was only 19. Last year was the best since I never thought I would live to see another with all the heartbreaks (Parent in '74, the too many men on the ice plus many other Hab upsets). 

Bobby Orr from day 1 and following the career of my favorite -- Terence Joseph James O'Reilly. I met Phil Esposito at a book signing and he was gracious enough to field open questions. He claims to have tagged Terry with the "Taz" nickname. He earned it during training camp in '71 when he took out 3 players at once in the corners during a scrimmage. Espo had to tell a young O'Reilly to take it easy since he was one of the players that got hammered -- The problem was that he and O'Reilly were playing together one the same line.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

1970 when they won cup

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Chowda, just noticed this still running. I can't remember when I listened to the first radio broadcasts Because I was pushed to study every night, without any perks, then spent a few years in the Seminary, so no radio; then along came Korea and I no longer had a student deferrment, so it wasn't until the later 50's that i could once again, follow the bruins. I do have one crazy memory of my Aunt, we all probably had one favorite Aunt who spoiled us all our lives, My Aunt took me to my first hockey game when the railings were over my head. After two minutes I said" Ok, what's next" ? My Aunt never forgot until she passed away at age 87. My first connection to hockey video broadcasts was from MSG in Manhattan, and I've been hooked up ever since. Probably one of the first Center Ice customers, and installed a heat coil to the antenna to break up any ice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Chowda, just noticed this still running. I can't remember when I listened to the first radio broadcasts Because I was pushed to study every night, without any perks, then spent a few years in the Seminary, so no radio; then along came Korea and I no longer had a student deferrment, so it wasn't until the later 50's that i could once again, follow the bruins. I do have one crazy memory of my Aunt, we all probably had one favorite Aunt who spoiled us all our lives, My Aunt took me to my first hockey game when the railings were over my head. After two minutes I said" Ok, what's next" ? My Aunt never forgot until she passed away at age 87. My first connection to hockey video broadcasts was from MSG in Manhattan, and I've been hooked up ever since. Probably one of the first Center Ice customers, and installed a heat coil to the antenna to break up any ice.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Cool story bogie . Thanks for the reply. I love hearing stories like this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

In Response to Just a fact I been a bruins fan for forty years how about you::
    [QUOTE]Forty years staying faithful with the Big Bad Bruins, And it finally paid off again. Just quick memories: Bobby Orr Goal, Jonathan fighting Bouchard, The Bruins jumping into a brawl with the NYR fans, Esposito famous speech at the summit series, Cam Neely trade, the Don Cherry coaching era " and of course the 2011 cup run. "  This only a few that I came up with for this brief moment; refresh my memories with your fav. Bruins moments.
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

Since the Bruins beat the Leafs 11-0 in the sixties.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Griswal65. Show Griswal65's posts

[QUOTE]50 Years -- The 3 cups -- the 1st in 1970 when I was only 19. Last year was the best since I never thought I would live to see another with all the heartbreaks (Parent in '74, the too many men on the ice plus many other Hab upsets).  Bobby Orr from day 1 and following the career of my favorite -- Terence Joseph James O'Reilly. I met Phil Esposito at a book signing and he was gracious enough to field open questions. He claims to have tagged Terry with the "Taz" nickname. He earned it during training camp in '71 when he took out 3 players at once in the corners during a scrimmage. Espo had to tell a young O'Reilly to take it easy since he was one of the players that got hammered -- The problem was that he and O'Reilly were playing together one the same line.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]

Good one Zamboner... Orr got me too, around 71 playoffs. His charisma was captivating to a 6 year old.... O'Reilly afterwards, his never-say-die attitude..... 5 times in the playoffs with Gillies one year.

Pederson and Nifty were amazing together, pure chemistry, tic tac toe....

Used to catch games on the radio from Halifax as a kid in the early 80s, but only on a clear night when the waves would cross the Atlantic... One night, I lost the feed just as O'Reilly and Curran were throwing down with Alan Stanley and Dave Brown of Philly late one game. No internet then, had to wait a couple of weeks to read about it in the the Globe at the university library.....

good stuff folks; some truly passionate fans here....    

Sections
Shortcuts