Just A Thought..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRealist2. Show SoxRealist2's posts

Just A Thought..

We all know and are aware there needs to be a few moves made to make another Stanley Cup Run. Without Horton & Peverley, we still maintain grit & hockey sense; but the speed & goals are sacrificed.
    I know alot of you don't want Nash to Boston.. citing the salary and what we have to give up to get him.. I get that too.
    Pickings are slim and teams like Winnepeg, etc are getting closer to making the playoffs which turns potential sellers into buyers. Sacrifices have to be made to beat out other teams. Taking all this into consideration; I have a feeling we are going to get another vision of PC nearly crying on NESN after the deadline passes because he couldn't execute a trade without the sacrifice, like what happened a few yrs back.
    So you have to ask yourself, for example if keeping a player like "Thomas" who has value, is worth keeping on the team until offseason and potentially not getting far into the playoffs. You ask me, in my very own opinion, no player aside from Seguin is worth that. You have to be able to take a gamble like Theo with trading Nomar.
    I have not heard that "Rask" was offered a contract extension. Maybe because they did & want to keep it hush-hush so mr.political doesn't get hurt. PC may also may know that Rask could possibly want to walk after the season to explore options.. Who knows? If he has such knowledge he is using that to his advantage so when he says no to potetial Rask trade suitors; that when crunch time comes, they don't ask for much more like Dougie H.
    I hope PC has the guts to make a move. I will always love the Bruins whether he does or not, but a trade or two is needed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Re: Just A Thought..

Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, Seguin - off the table

Top 6 Dmen except for Corvo - can't happen

anyone else should be in play

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not bad JWensink, Bergeron's line; Lucic [Horton?]; who, or what would you expect for Campbell, or Paille, or Kelly. Why would you trade a 20 year old stud like Caron? You want to keep all on defense but Corvo? not a bad idea, but what would you get in return? Chiarelli has stated that he preferred not to lose any of the existing team; and we know he doesn't have many draft picks left. Maybe he feels he has enough in the "Juniors" pipe line as well as Providence so that he can give up his 1st and 3rd round pick [ both near the bottom of each round]. Do you really beleive there are better players than Kreji for a trade? Put on Chiarelli's shoes; look at the cap hits upcoming; then formulate an appealing trade package. Not much unless you use Thomas and Kreji. Do you think anyone, except Claude, wants Pouliot ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Thomas is a goner after the end of this season.  Sad in a way - but like you said, we need to find some cash for Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Rask long term deals. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Rask can't walk after this season. He's not a UFA, he's an RFA. He has no options and no leverage. He's porked.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In Response to Re: Just A Thought..:
    Rask can't walk after this season. He's not a UFA, he's an RFA. He has no options and no leverage. He's porked.
    Posted by lambda13

He can walk to the highest bidder providing the Bs dont match and that depends on the offer. PC would rather wait until then than trade him now because the possiblity of 3 1st rd picks could be had but ino if that is his thoughts, were doomed either way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Just A Thought..:
    We all know and are aware there needs to be a few moves made to make another Stanley Cup Run. Without Horton & Peverley, we still maintain grit & hockey sense; but the speed & goals are sacrificed. I know alot of you don't want Nash to Boston.. citing the salary and what we have to give up to get him.. I get that too. Pickings are slim and teams like Winnepeg, etc are getting closer to making the playoffs which turns potential sellers into buyers. Sacrifices have to be made to beat out other teams. Taking all this into consideration; I have a feeling we are going to get another vision of PC nearly crying on NESN after the deadline passes because he couldn't execute a trade without the sacrifice, like what happened a few yrs back. So you have to ask yourself, for example if keeping a player like "Thomas" who has value, is worth keeping on the team until offseason and potentially not getting far into the playoffs. You ask me, in my very own opinion, no player aside from Seguin is worth that. You have to be able to take a gamble like Theo with trading Nomar. I have not heard that "Rask" was offered a contract extension. Maybe because they did & want to keep it hush-hush so mr.political doesn't get hurt. PC may also may know that Rask could possibly want to walk after the season to explore options.. Who knows? If he has such knowledge he is using that to his advantage so when he says no to potetial Rask trade suitors; that when crunch time comes, they don't ask for much more like Dougie H. I hope PC has the guts to make a move. I will always love the Bruins whether he does or not, but a trade or two is needed.
    Posted by SoxRealist2

I don't think PC is lacking in the guts department.  There is nothing that can be done to guarantee a long playoff run.  Meaningful pieces coming in, usually dictates meaningful pieces going out.  Many have suggested moving Krejcki(current playoff leading scorer).  A smart GM must be convinced in his own mind, the player coming in, is an upgrade over the guy he's losing.  If he isn't confident, the trade is dumb.  Dealing for the sake of dealing is dumb.  
    The 2010 team was pretty close to the 11 team.  After 2 straight years of underachieving, PC had the good judgement to "not" blow up the team.  He massaged and tweaked it.  He may well continue to do it.  I hope he does.   We can thank last years success, pretty much, to the fact that PC didn't over react to the outcomes in 09 and 10. 
    The Bruins are a good team.  They\re not playing like it right now...but making a move based on current play pretty much guarantees it'll only get worse. Two thirds of their top right wingers are out. That is gonna hurt any team, at any time. Not an excuse, a fact.
    All that really matters is staying ahead of Ottawa, chew time off the clock for another 3 weeks, and hope the team starts the playoffs healthy.  I'd be surprised if there isn't a deal or 2, but won't be shocked if nothing happens.  Like last year, a blockbuster isn't likely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Just A Thought.. : I don't think PC is lacking in the guts department.  There is nothing that can be done to guarantee a long playoff run.  Meaningful pieces coming in, usually dictates meaningful pieces going out.  Many have suggested moving Krejcki(current playoff leading scorer).  A smart GM must be convinced in his own mind, the player coming in, is an upgrade over the guy he's losing.  If he isn't confident, the trade is dumb.  Dealing for the sake of dealing is dumb.   The 2010 team was pretty close to the 11 team.  After 2 straight years of underachieving, PC had the good judgement to "not" blow up the team.  He massaged and tweaked it.  He may well continue to do it.  I hope he does.   We can thank last years success, pretty much, to the fact that PC didn't over react to the outcomes in 09 and 10.  The Bruins are a good team.  They\re not playing like it right now...but making a move based on current play pretty much guarantees it'll only get worse. Two thirds of their top right wingers are out. That is gonna hurt any team, at any time. Not an excuse, a fact. All that really matters is staying ahead of Ottawa, chew time off the clock for another 3 weeks, and hope the team starts the playoffs healthy.  I'd be surprised if there isn't a deal or 2, but won't be shocked if nothing happens.  Like last year, a blockbuster isn't likely.
    Posted by stevegm

A very good response there.  I agree completely.  This isn't about "guts" at all.  This is about being smart.  Chiarelli has nothing to prove, given last season, and he can't let injuries and slumps force him into a bad deal.  Trading Rask or Krejci are both scenarios where they would be likely to give up more than they get back, especially now.

There is no need to deal from a position of desperation here.  Just stay ahead of Ottawa, let the injured guys get healthy, and look for opportunities to bring in a few needed parts if the price is right.  I think the logic of the OP is way off base.  No panic here, stay the course Chiarelli.  Make your splashes in the off season, not with desperate trade deadline gambles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It's very likely, given this market, that there just isn't a deal to be made. I'd rather PC err on the side of caution than blow up the whole team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's very likely, given this market, that there just isn't a deal to be made. I'd rather PC err on the side of caution than blow up the whole team.
    Posted by red75

Amen red, the more I read the recent threads here, the more amazed I am at the assumption that deals for good players are just there for the taking and Chia should just pull the trigger.  I think that finding a deal that truly helps the Bruins, without giving up too much, at the trade deadline is exceptionally unlikely and hard to come by.  I bet Chiarelli gets five terrible offers for Krejci and Rask every day and when he turns them down, as he should, people think he's just being complacent.  I admire his reluctance to bow to the pressure and panic -- the man has a plan and he sticks to it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Just A Thought.. : Amen red, the more I read the recent threads here, the more amazed I am at the assumption that deals for good players are just there for the taking and Chia should just pull the trigger.  I think that finding a deal that truly helps the Bruins, without giving up too much, at the trade deadline is exceptionally unlikely and hard to come by.  I bet Chiarelli gets five terrible offers for Krejci and Rask every day and when he turns them down, as he should, people think he's just being complacent.  I admire his reluctance to bow to the pressure and panic -- the man has a plan and he sticks to it.
    Posted by Fletcher1

All good thought s there, but this time around you have 2 players injured,both key members of your line up, one out a month a half and another clouded with uncertainty, both are top 6 forwards. Couple that with a team that is struggling right now and was before the players went down, I'd say thats incentive to make some sort of a deal. Now do you have to mortgage the future? No. Trade Rask, no, not at all. But I feel you need something to bring some stability to this line up ..A month ago, PC could make a deal for some depth att he back end, or, if he didnt see anything he liked gone with what he had. Today? I think he needs at least one forward capable of playing on one of the 1st 3 lines.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Just A Thought.. : All good thought s there, but this time around you have 2 players injured,both key members of your line up, one out a month a half and another clouded with uncertainty, both are top 6 forwards. Couple that with a team that is struggling right now and was before the players went down, I'd say thats incentive to make some sort of a deal. Now do you have to mortgage the future? No. Trade Rask, no, not at all. But I feel you need something to bring some stability to this line up ..A month ago, PC could make a deal for some depth att he back end, or, if he didnt see anything he liked gone with what he had. Today? I think he needs at least one forward capable of playing on one of the 1st 3 lines.
    Posted by kelvana33

I sort of agree kel, but what is honestly out there? We talked about players like Oduya being a help at a lower cost, but now the Jets could be in third place by the end of the day today. The Leafs, Caps, Ducks, Wild, Avs, Stars, Kings Flames, and Yotes are all still in the hunt.

You're looking at only the Oilers, Jackets, Lightning, Isles, Habs Sabres and Canes as sellers right now. Is there anything there that would help us that we could get at a reasonable cost? I'm not so sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Just A Thought.. : I sort of agree kel, but what is honestly out there? We talked about players like Oduya being a help at a lower cost, but now the Jets could be in third place by the end of the day today. The Leafs, Caps, Ducks, Wild, Avs, Stars, Kings Flames, and Yotes are all still in the hunt. You're looking at only the Oilers, Jackets, Lightning, Isles, Habs Sabres and Canes as sellers right now. Is there anything there that would help us that we could get at a reasonable cost? I'm not so sure.
    Posted by red75

Do we really know what names are being bandied about ? Peverley's name ( or Kelly for that matter ) were not mentioned at all in any trade rumours with the B's last year and voila....they became Bruins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Just A Thought.. : I sort of agree kel, but what is honestly out there? We talked about players like Oduya being a help at a lower cost, but now the Jets could be in third place by the end of the day today. The Leafs, Caps, Ducks, Wild, Avs, Stars, Kings Flames, and Yotes are all still in the hunt. You're looking at only the Oilers, Jackets, Lightning, Isles, Habs Sabres and Canes as sellers right now. Is there anything there that would help us that we could get at a reasonable cost? I'm not so sure.
    Posted by red75

Could be some team in contention  needs to trade a player to make room for something else. UFA's and players on bad teams arent the only ones who get dealt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan07. Show BostonFan07's posts

I think a deal with Edmonton could work for the Bruins

Bruins receive:

Ryan Whitney

Oilers receive:

Joe Corvo/Steven Kampfer
    and either Spooner, Knight, or draft pick

This deal works with the cap and it adds some offensive power from the D and would be an upgrade from Corvo back there. Whitney is from Boston and played here all the way through college so being back in the city could rejuvinate him a bit. He couyld waive his NTC to come play at home for a contender. He has had injury problems but I think he's out of that now and playing healthy. While the Bruins need forwards now they should be able to survive the rest of the regular season until Pevs and Horton and maybe plug some younger guys in there like Caron and (I cant believe I'm saying this) Hamill. Offense wins games, Defense wins the Cup as we saw last spring.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

My issue is that the B's were supposed to be a team that had more depth than any other. Was that not what everybody in the NHL was saying. No team could match the B's depth. Well, it turns out that the depth isn't as deep as we all thought. If this was a team in a 10 game slump I wouldn't be worried, but this team has been getting beaten at their own game. Blocked shots, rebounds cleared, great goaltending, timely scoring & hit like freight trains. That Bruins team hasn't shown up consistently enough. That's the concern. It's like the Bruins lost their identity & every one they play against found it. Staying the course is all well & good if you're winning more than you're losing. We're talking almost 2 months since the Bruins have played Bruin hockey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Why would you trade Spooner or Knight in a deal for Ryan Whitney? Whitney has a hard time staying healthy and I wouldn't trade either one of those guys in a deal for him.

I wish people would stop talking about Johnny Oduya. Has anyone seen him play recently? I watched him tonight against the Flyers and he looked terrible. He was a -3 and was out of position a ton. His numbers are worse than Corvo's and everyone is ripping on Corvo. Oduya has 13 points this season. Adam McQuaid had 6. Oduya is supposed to be an offensive minded defensman, McQuaid isn't and Oduya's numbers aren't much better offensively and McQuaid's defensive numbers are much better. Oduya is not an upgrade for this team. Our top 6 on defense has scored 100 points this season. If we upgrade on d, it may be the defensive type.

We need a forward. I'm not sure who is going to be available. Phoenix isn't going to be selling so that eliminates Ray Whitney. The Ducks don't seem to be selling after their recent run. Ryan Malone is likely available, but he isn't having a great year. The asking price for Ruutu is high for a guy whose numbers are good but not great. Ales Hemsky is available, but he has 4 goals. The options don't seem to be great. You may have to trade for a guy who is underachieving and hope that a change of scenery gets him going

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Since when is Oduya an offensive minded d-man. I think Oduya is a no go for the Bruins as well, as I've said many times, but I've watched the Jets all year. He had a bad game this night, one of his few, but he's a stay at home D with a bit of transitional speed. But mainly he's stay at home and defensively responsible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

nite, I think the Bruins depth is there, it's just...a different thing than we usually think of as depth.  It's not the NFL style next man up where you have players capable of playing on the first line playing on the third.  It's more the four line beast they are when right.  I'd love to look back through the game sheets last year and for the first half of this year and count up the number of games where the third or fourth lines dominated and the Bruins got the W for it.  You can match up the Krejci line with most top lines and it's mostly a wash (there are better top lines, there are worse top lines).  You match the Bergeron line with most second lines and the edge is often going to go to Bergeron's line.  Not many in the same class.  Third line with Kelly and Peverley is one of the best in the league, and Peverley in particular can make them a threat to create offense.  Fourth line has Paille, who is inconsistent on the finish but almost always gets chances with that speed.  Campbell and Thornton can grind and cycle, and while Thornton's a chucker, he does seem to get the shot on the net.

Once they have to mess with those lines, though, there's no pool in reserve to fill the gaps in the depth lines.  Caron isn't Peverley, and Kelly isn't a scorer or creator.  On the fourth line, Paille's chances are a bonus.  On any other line, his lack of finish is a burden.  So yeah, they have depth, but it dissipates quickly.

Sections
Shortcuts