Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka?

It's no secret that B's have been struggling during the last 4-5 weeks and became a very ordinary team.

Is it time now for PC and B's Mgt to trade one of their goalie and get in return what they badly need at the moment ? (a real quarterback or a top winger)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka?

In Response to Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka?:
    [QUOTE]It's no secret that B's have been struggling during the last 4-5 weeks and became a very ordinary team. Is it time now for PC and B's Mgt to trade one of their goalie and get in return what they badly need at the moment ? (a real quarterback or a top winger)
    Posted by Bruinsforever[/QUOTE]
    I can't think of a good enough reason to trade either but that's just my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I don't think so.

Neely was asked this on weekly spot on 98.5.  His answer was interesting though because he referred to the team's goaltending situation as a "luxury" a couple of times. 

More importantly, he said they do not plan on trading either guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I'd prefer to not trade either.  It's a significant strength of the Bruins that I think should be left alone. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Tough call.

On one hand, the 2 good goalies IS a luxury and they could add a big piece.

The problem is, it feels like either goalie could be gone sooner than we think, so I don't know that the B's can make this call.

-TT has been playing kinda ordinary lately, but he has been good most of the year.  Still, he is older, plays a very physical game, and it's a legitimate concern that you could be trading high before an eventual decline.

Still, after his performance in last years Finals, how can you let a playoffs weapon like that go?

-Rask is "somebody's" goalie of the future, but right now I still think he's having trouble taking that next step as a sorta backup.  He plays better the more he plays, and right now he plays well, plays OK, plays well, plays mediocre.  He can't expect to play any more while on the same team as Thomas, and he could very easily decide to go somewhere next year where he's The Guy.

But what if the B's commit to him and it doesn't go well?

It's a tough call. I wouldn't want to make it.  If it were me, I'd try to improve the team another way, and give the goaltending more of a chance to sort itself out.

Of course, any conversation about any trade is ONLY relevant from a hockey-only consideration, and nothing else.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka?:
    [QUOTE]Tough call. On one hand, the 2 good goalies IS a luxury and they could add a big piece. The problem is, it feels like either goalie could be gone sooner than we think, so I don't know that the B's can make this call. -TT has been playing kinda ordinary lately, but he has been good most of the year.  Still, he is older, plays a very physical game, and it's a legitimate concern that you could be trading high before an eventual decline. Still, after his performance in last years Finals, how can you let a playoffs weapon like that go? -Rask is "somebody's" goalie of the future, but right now I still think he's having trouble taking that next step as a sorta backup.  He plays better the more he plays, and right now he plays well, plays OK, plays well, plays mediocre.  He can't expect to play any more while on the same team as Thomas, and he could very easily decide to go somewhere next year where he's The Guy. But what if the B's commit to him and it doesn't go well? It's a tough call. I wouldn't want to make it.  If it were me, I'd try to improve the team another way, and give the goaltending more of a chance to sort itself out. Of course, any conversation about any trade is ONLY relevant from a hockey-only consideration, and nothing else.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    Probably the most important point. I agree completely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Could the determining factor be based primarily on a consistent dip in Thomas' performance over some indefinite period (i.e., these last two years of his contract with him pushing 40) allowing Rask to take the reigns?  That is, if Rask performs as if ready to assume the starter's spot.  Man, there were some times in the 80's and 90's that I wished the Bruins had this situation.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Could the determining factor be based primarily on a consistent dip in Thomas' performance over some indefinite period (i.e., these last two years of his contract with him pushing 40) allowing Rask to take the reigns?  That is, if Rask performs as if ready to assume the starter's spot.  Man, there were some times in the 80's and 90's that I wished the Bruins had this situation.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    I miss the days of Cheevers/Gilbert and Moog/Lemelin where you didn't know who'd be getting the nod each night in the playoffs. I also miss the days of playoff games on back to back nights with time off to travel only. It really tested a team's depth and physical condition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

no & no....

Double T & Tuukka are the reason the B'S are where they're today and any repeat will depend heavily on the play of one of these two, most probably TT's.... 

let's put this discussion on the back burner at least until after this season....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Thomas will be traded in the off-season, I am betting my right arm on that one happening.  If a team wants Thomas NOW, it may get us the sniper we are craving.  Is Thomas for Vermette a good deal? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka? : I miss the days of Cheevers/Gilbert and Moog/Lemelin where you didn't know who'd be getting the nod each night in the playoffs. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I hear you, dez.  There's a youth/veteran dynamic in the tandems you mention just as there is today on the present club.  Although he wasn't a Bruin draft pick I tend to think of Rask as homegrown because he was the brightest goaltending prospect the team had in recent memory with the long-term presumption of one day assuming the No. 1 spot.  

The Thomas/Rask situation will be a crossroad the Bruins will have to manouver at one time or another.  For now let's enjoy the Hell out of it for as long as we can.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka? : I hear you, dez.  There's a youth/veteran dynamic in the tandems you mention just as there is today on the present club.  Although he wasn't a Bruin draft pick I tend to think of Rask as homegrown because he was the brightest goaltending prospect the team had in recent memory with the long-term presumption of one day assuming the No. 1 spot.   The Thomas/Rask situation will be a crossroad the Bruins will have to manouver at one time or another.  For now let's enjoy the Hell out of it for as long as we can.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]
    RHO, I agree entirely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

nope, its not time yet. move thomas in the off-season if the plan is to move one of them

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

No it's a strength for the team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Well heres my opinion . TT recently has been not tt. Rask, well him either. But if your PC and u see a decline, distraction in TT and feel its not gonna change, if you dont trade at the deadline and wait for the summer, the value goes down. Rask well we all have said and beleive hes our future. Is he ?. Im not sure either because his last couple of outings have been terrible but, that could be from distraction of TT also, who knows. We went all the way to win it last year on one goalie and yes TT got us there, Do any of you really think were going there this year ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]Well heres my opinion . TT recently has been not tt. Rask, well him either. But if your PC and u see a decline, distraction in TT and feel its not gonna change, if you dont trade at the deadline and wait for the summer, the value goes down. Rask well we all have said and beleive hes our future. Is he ?. Im not sure either because his last couple of outings have been terrible but, that could be from distraction of TT also, who knows. We went all the way to win it last year on one goalie and yes TT got us there, Do any of you really think were going there this year ?
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

Thomas is a heck of a lot easier to trade when he doesn't have a no trade clause. that is the major benefit of waiting for the summer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]Thomas will be traded in the off-season, I am betting my right arm on that one happening.  If a team wants Thomas NOW , it may get us the sniper we are craving.  Is Thomas for Vermette a good deal? 
    Posted by BorisTheGorilla[/QUOTE]

No, not nearly enough.
    Something seems off with him the last couple of years.
    He had 27 goals in '09-'10 but he has struggled to find the net last year and this.

Oh, and his 7G 16A is killing me in our office pool too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

First question: who do you want starting in the playoffs this year? Thomas for me. I do not trust Rask yet...he needs a full season as the #1 before I give him the start every playoff game. He'll get there, but not the way they are splitting time so far this year.

TT has the no trade clause, and they are shooting for another cup with him as the primary backstop. You don't mess with that...let him take another run at it, sign Rask long-term, and then part ways with Thomas during the summer or next year's trade deadline.

No reason why they can't milk the tandum at least through the end of this year. They have the cap space to secure Rask, and get more out of Thomas before he goes on the block.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka? : I miss the days of Cheevers/Gilbert and Moog/Lemelin where you didn't know who'd be getting the nod each night in the playoffs. I also miss the days of playoff games on back to back nights with time off to travel only. It really tested a team's depth and physical condition.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I think if Cherry would've been a little more flexible in giving Gilbert a start against the Habs during the play-offs in 77,78 & in 79. The B's could've had different out comes. Lets think back to those times. Cheevers was one of the best money goalie's in his era. Until it came to face the Canadiens. He had some great games against them, but he never had a great series. If Don wasn't so hard on Gilbert it things may have turned out differently. Not saying the Bruins lost, because of Cheevers. I'm saying giving a French Canadian a chance to play close to his home city. Those 5 games he played in 79 was some of the best goaltending I seen any goalie do in that decade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboman88. Show zamboman88's posts

NO!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just asking... Is it time now to trade Timmy or Tuuka? : I think if Cherry would've been a little more flexible in giving Gilbert a start against the Habs during the play-offs in 77,78 & in 79. The B's could've had different out comes. Lets think back to those times. Cheevers was one of the best money goalie's in his era. Until it came to face the Canadiens. He had some great games against them, but he never had a great series. If Don wasn't so hard on Gilbert it things may have turned out differently. Not saying the Bruins lost, because of Cheevers. I'm saying giving a French Canadian a chance to play close to his home city. Those 5 games he played in 79 was some of the best goaltending I seen any goalie do in that decade.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    I thought Gilbert was awesome when I was a kid. He had some big games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Rask is the Bruins goalie of the future. Unless Thomas duplicates his performance form last years playoffs, I do see the Bruins exploring a deal once his NMC expires. Right now, no, off-season a Thomas trade would not shock me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

how is this not obvious? one guy opens his fat mouth and divides the team when they were on a great streak thanks to his moronic insistence on spouting off political views and forcing teammates to have to go t here regardless of where they want their focus, the other is tuuka who just focuses on HOCKEY! could care less about the side of politics, just inappropriate. tt has to go, plus he's OLDER! trade him to carolina or montreal...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The brass has sure had plenty of opportunity to see Khudobin for the Baby B's this year.  Khudobin is currently 2nd in the AHL in GP and minutes and ranks 10th in SV% (.920) and 16th in GAA @ 2.58.

I really have not seen him play, but his numbers seem about where he has been over the past couple of seasons, despite the increased workload.

Sections
Shortcuts