Just had an interesting conversation with a Canuck fan....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Just had an interesting conversation with a Canuck fan....

He was trying to tell me why he was so pleased that the team resigned Maxim Lapierre.  He kept telling me that the fact that I hate him so much, means he's doing his job.  

Which I thought was interesting.  Apparently that guys job is to aggrivate me, while I watch the games on TV.  But seriously, I understood what he meant.  He's there to irritate the other team.  But is that really a neccassary job in the NHL?  Or is it just a job that guys with attitude problems and daddy issues made up, to justify their selfish, punk like behavior?

I mean plenty of teams don't have guys like that.  Plenty of teams have won without guys like that.  And the one's that did win with guys like that on the team, probably did so more so because of the amount of goals they scored and how well they played defense and kept the puck out of their own net....yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how they ALL did it actually

And before anyone says Marchand, remember, he scored 21 goals in the regular season and 11 in the playoffs.  And I don't think any of those went in because the goalie was too irritated to make the save

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Just had an interesting conversation with a Canuck fan....

I've had conversations with Nuck fans as well who said they really liked what Lapuke brought to the table,especially in the playoffs. I guess they didn't watch him enough when he played for the Habs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

In Response to Just had an interesting conversation with a Canuck fan....:
    [QUOTE]He was trying to tell me why he was so pleased that the team resigned Maxim Lapierre.  He kept telling me that the fact that I hate him so much, means he's doing his job.   Which I thought was interesting.  Apparently that guys job is to aggrivate me, while I watch the games on TV.  But seriously, I understood what he meant.  He's there to irritate the other team.  But is that really a neccassary job in the NHL?  Or is it just a job that guys with attitude problems and daddy issues made up, to justify their selfish, punk like behavior? I mean plenty of teams don't have guys like that.  Plenty of teams have won without guys like that.  And the one's that did win with guys like that on the team, probably did so more so because of the amount of goals they scored and how well they played defense and kept the puck out of their own net....yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how they ALL did it actually And before anyone says Marchand, remember, he scored 21 goals in the regular season and 11 in the playoffs.  And I don't think any of those went in because the goalie was too irritated to make the save
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]
    If they're too busy thinking about beating the sh*t out of some no-skilled player that they forget to score goals it makes a big difference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: Just had an interesting conversation with a Canuck fan....:
    [QUOTE]I've had conversations with Nuck fans as well who said they really liked what Lapuke brought to the table,especially in the playoffs. I guess they didn't watch him enough when he played for the Habs.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

That was actually his response to me.  That Max really turned a new leaf this year and cut out the bs.  Which kind of only goes to prove that he didn't need to play that role in the first place then, no?  Suddenly now, he's just focused on playing well for his team and not just acting like a punk out there.  Why is that?  Why isn't he "doing his job" anymore?

I'm not sure who's point he was trying to prove, his or mine.  

I also pointed out that when the chips were down, his attitude came back out for game 2 of the finals.  And what exactly did that accomplish?  An 8-1 beating in game 3?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

The thing that sucks about players like the Sedins, Lapierre, Subban, etc. is that if the refs just called their dives they would stop doing it immediately...

I fully acknowledge the Sedins and Subban are phenomenal players and some Bruins players have definitely embellished in the past, but it's getting ridiculous...

I'm just glad the Bruins proved they were better than all those teams...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Lapierre is old news.....Jannick Hansen deserves a good beating next B-Canuck meeting.....that guy was just brutal with his cheapshots    whacked Krecji in the back of the legs, forced Boychuk into the post, then his famous run of Ference when everything was said & done   another guy hiding behind the playoff refereeing & then turtleing when its time to answer the regular season bell

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Just had an interesting conversation with a Canuck fan....:
    [QUOTE]He was trying to tell me why he was so pleased that the team resigned Maxim Lapierre.  He kept telling me that the fact that I hate him so much, means he's doing his job.   Which I thought was interesting.  Apparently that guys job is to aggrivate me, while I watch the games on TV.  But seriously, I understood what he meant.  He's there to irritate the other team.  But is that really a neccassary job in the NHL?  Or is it just a job that guys with attitude problems and daddy issues made up, to justify their selfish, punk like behavior? I mean plenty of teams don't have guys like that.  Plenty of teams have won without guys like that.  And the one's that did win with guys like that on the team, probably did so more so because of the amount of goals they scored and how well they played defense and kept the puck out of their own net....yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how they ALL did it actually And before anyone says Marchand, remember, he scored 21 goals in the regular season and 11 in the playoffs.  And I don't think any of those went in because the goalie was too irritated to make the save
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

The classic example of this is Claude Lemieux, and most Bruins fans remember him for turtling up against Neely while #8 dragged him across the ice by the scruff of his neck to smash him face-first into the boards--an action Lemieux never protested b/c he knew how many cheap, potentially injury-indusing shots he had taken at Neely to lead up to that.

But Lemieux won the Cup (at least once--w/the Lanche, I think) and was effective in that role while not being a great player.

still, I think he;'s the exception. There are a lot of nasty, pesky, trash-talking irritants on teams (and Marchand completely fits the bill), but I don;'t think there's a space for guys like that anymore unless they also have real talent* (which Marchand obviously does.) If you're just a rat and not a goal-scorer or at least a PK guy, you're just going to be putting your team in a  penalty situation and it won't last long til you're benched.

I think this is why a guy like Sean Avery won't be around much longer. As his skill set erodes, his whole cheap-shot persona will end up hurting teams more than helping them.

Lapierre doesn't have enough talent to justify a decent contract. He cares more about taunting than scoring, apparently. The diff. between a guy like him and Marchand should be obvious: Marchand helped his team win a Stanley Cup....Lapierre helped his team lose focus, effort, and ultimately a title.

*Ken Linesman, who made his bones w/;the Flyers but also had productive late-career years w/the Bruins, is another good example of human sandpaper with talent to back it up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

And before anyone says Marchand, remember, he scored 21 goals in the regular season and 11 in the playoffs.  And I don't think any of those went in because the goalie was too irritated to make the save

Well I think Luwango was irritated by that fact that no one was "pumping up his tires"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Absolutely Swear, I have thought the same.  That is, people always say "if he bothers you so much, he must be doing his job".  No.  That's not right at all.  There are plenty of players that bother me and stink at the same time.  Daniel Carcillo bothered me the whole Philly series and he was awful.  Lapierre had some good hustle moments during the Stanley Cup and a couple of big goals,  but his behavior was totally emblematic of the pitiful displays that eventually caught up with the Canucks and turned the tide against them. 

If Gillis is still wondering why the Canucks might not have gotten a couple more calls (and we know he is), look no further than Lapierre.  The refs don't enjoy being tricked in the most important games of the season.  When Lapierre attempted the very worst of his many dives, by skating into Chara's stick after the whistle and then diving to ice like he got shot, you can see visible aggravation on the face of the ref.  No wonder, later in the game the same ref watched Marchand doing a speed bag workout on Daniel's face with a shrug of the shoulders.  In the third period of game 6, the ref just kicked Lapierre out of the game without any indication why.  His act had just worn thin.

Lapierre did a bunch of garbage that simply didn't work.  He was a side show, while some of his teammates stayed more focused on trying to win.  Gillis appears to have a preference for that type of play and then seems mystified when it doesn't work.  Lapierre is in the right place.  Montreal and Vancouver are the perfect places for that garbage.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AugustusPuckus. Show AugustusPuckus's posts

My prediction is that Lapierre will not be a Nuck by trade deadline.

He will be forced to try to expand his collection of NHL jerseys.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

He is the guy I would like to see someone kick the crap out of most.I hated this guy's guts when he played for the scabs.A weasel just like Claude Lemieux .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Lappy brings more to the plate than his 'agitator' role.  He's a decent 3rd/4th line center, has a decent faceoff %age, has decent size, good wheels, and can chip in a goal or two every so often.  During the season, his role as a 'yapper' was almost non-existent. 

I recall very distinctly, the 'pundits' on TSN, RSN, etc. at the deadline questioning this move by Gillis, saying that he was "bad in the room", "hated by his teammates", and would "disrupt the chemistry".  Seems like the "pundits" don't have a clue, because Gillis wouldn't re-up someone who displayed such characteristics.  Just goes to show that what people see on the ice isn't necessarily what teammates see from the bench, or how their view of that player is, from the locker room.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

Are these the same Vancouver fans who cry about the after whistle stuff and that the B's were to tough on them? But they like a cheap shot artists like Maxim?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Hey pucman, I agree, they need to lay a LARGE beatdown on that little sh.iteater Hansen. Can't wait for Jan. 7. Burrows and Hansen, better have extra ambulances at the Garden that night!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Lappy brings more to the plate than his 'agitator' role.  He's a decent 3rd/4th line center, has a decent faceoff %age, has decent size, good wheels, and can chip in a goal or two every so often.  During the season, his role as a 'yapper' was almost non-existent.  I recall very distinctly, the 'pundits' on TSN, RSN, etc. at the deadline questioning this move by Gillis, saying that he was "bad in the room", "hated by his teammates", and would "disrupt the chemistry".  Seems like the "pundits" don't have a clue, because Gillis wouldn't re-up someone who displayed such characteristics.  Just goes to show that what people see on the ice isn't necessarily what teammates see from the bench, or how their view of that player is, from the locker room.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I guess he must be one of the guys that is liked by his own fans and nobody else.  I can't stand him, but I guess you guys like him.  All bias aside, I truly thought his antics hurt the Canucks as much as his goals helped them.  I think the refs and really anybody in the hockey world found him to be a bit of a sideshow for taunting Bergeron about being bitten and taking the dive on Chara.  I know you'll compare him to Marchand, but I think just about everything Marchand did helped his team and he didn't take dives.  Marchand's chippy play seemed to propel the Bruins forward.  Lapierre's antics seemed to hurt and distract the Canucks and disuade the refs from making borderline calls.

He seems to me to be the poster boy for a player that thrives on the security of the instigator rule.  It isn't that he should have to fight if he doesn't want to (no one should).  It's that he spends every game taunting and pretending he wants to fight and then never backs it up.  I try to be fair and see things from the other side, but with Lapierre I just don't have anything nice to say.  I think he is bad for hockey and players like him move the game closer and closer to soccer, where drawing fouls, faking injuries, and generally acting like a teenage girl seems to be a critical part of the game.  I like my agitators to pester and annoy opposing players, but still act like men at the end of the day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

Fortunately, the Bruins don't need Max. If he played for my team I still wouldn't like it. To compare Marchand to him is ridiculous. Marchand made the kind of plays that Malkin and Oveckin make. Time to score. If I have to, I'll do it myself. He has the kind of game-breaking talent everyone said the Bruins lacked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'm not making the Marchand-Lapierre comparison.

I will agree that he's one of those players that you hate when he's on the opposing team.

Having watched every Canucks game last season, including the ones post-trade-deadline, I can state that Lappy's game during the regular season and through most of the playoffs was not what you Bruins fans saw in the Final.  Perhaps playing against the Bruins brings out the best (worst?) in Lappy;  perhaps he saw that the refs were letting a lot of post-whistle stuff go, so he was happy to take part in it.

Regardless, if AV and MG feel that having Lapierre on the team makes them better, then I'm not in a position to argue.  Having built a team that got within 1 win of the Cup, I'll defer to their decision-making prowess on these things. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Marchand has more offense ability than Lapierre and is over all a better player. Eos no need to comment any further.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Marchand has more offense ability than Lapierre and is over all a better player. Eos no need to comment any further.
    Posted by stinkman[/QUOTE]

I guess you didn't read the part where I wrote: "I'm not making the Marchand - Lapierre comparison".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CactusTonyo. Show CactusTonyo's posts

[QUOTE]My prediction is that Lapierre will not be a Nuck by trade deadline. He will be forced to try to expand his collection of NHL jerseys.
    Posted by AugustusPuckus[/QUOTE]

Dead wrong

Sections
Shortcuts