Just how good is Rask?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just how good is Rask?

I mentioned these numbers in another thread, but since it was one of Stanley's I figure a lot of you wouldn't see them.

It's early, but he's off to a very good start with a 1.95 GAA and a .926, but the career numbers of his time so far in the league really surprised me.

269 goalies have played at least 100 games - of those 269, Rask has a .926 - the highest ever ahead of Hasek's .922 with Rinne and Thomas next at .921. His GAA of 2.20 ties him for 8th with Hasek with most of the other guys ahead of him having played in the 20's.

So my question is - is this sustainable? Does he have the chops to keep putting up these kinds of numbers? Those stats are pretty jaw-dropping.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Just how good is Rask?

Answer: Time will tell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Agreed, time will tell but his success thus far has a lot to do with the Bruins system and the beast that is Chara.

Rask is a very good goalie and I have faith that he is up to the task of being the top guy in Boston for years to come as long as he's healthy. I'd rather have Rask than most of the goalies across the league.

I'm still happy the Bs got him for Raycroft from the Leafs and happy the Leafs got nothing when he left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I prefer to judge a goalie on his performance when the chips are down and how he responds in a must win situation (Smith, Parent, Dryden come to mind).   So far Rask hasn't been very good (see 2010). 

I'm happy he's here though and I expect big things from him, especially considering the caliber of the team that he has in front of him. 

To me, regular season stats mean squat.  Yeah, they'll get you a nice contract and big points in the fantasy leagues,  but no one will miss you when you're gone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

Agreed, time will tell but his success thus far has a lot to do with the Bruins system and the beast that is Chara.

Rask is a very good goalie and I have faith that he is up to the task of being the top guy in Boston for years to come as long as he's healthy. I'd rather have Rask than most of the goalies across the league.

I'm still happy the Bs got him for Raycroft from the Leafs and happy the Leafs got nothing when he left.

As a goalie, don't agree with the comment that his success (hasn't won anything yet) has alot to do with Chara and the system. Having Chara helps, can't argue that, but goalies still have to be good goaltenders to have any success. During the coarse of a game and a season, NHL shooters are going to get their chances. Thomas had Chara during the Cup run and he still had to stand on his head for the B's to even get to the Finals. Thomas benefited from Juliens system and the presence of Chara, but the whole team benefited from Thomas' stellar play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

As a goalie, don't agree with the comment that his success (hasn't won anything yet) has alot to do with Chara and the system. Having Chara helps, can't argue that, but goalies still have to be good goaltenders to have any success. During the coarse of a game and a season, NHL shooters are going to get their chances. Thomas had Chara during the Cup run and he still had to stand on his head for the B's to even get to the Finals. Thomas benefited from Juliens system and the presence of Chara, but the whole team benefited from Thomas' stellar play.

Cheers to that Kel! I find people who claim about "team systems" makes a goalie better! That's the biggest piece of kief I ever heard. A team system can make a goalie's job "easier", but it doesn't make him better!

Last night Rask showed something that we don't see very often & that his reflexes! He flashed out 2 blockers, 2 pads & made his best save on a puck that went off his own player, that showed that he can adapt & be TT like when he needs to.  For the most part Rask depends on his positioning keeping his body upright. I love the way he's playing right now & the B's are lucky they have him! Not the other way around! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I hate it when people attribute a goalie's success to the team he plays for or the "system".  How many goalies have been great playng for a shetty team their whole career? Every great team has relied on their goalie to be great at least some of the time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

This is GARBAGE!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

I hate it when people attribute a goalie's success to the team he plays for or the "system".  How many goalies have been great playng for a shetty team their whole career? Every great team has relied on their goalie to be great at least some of the time.

I agree somewhat, you can't use a teams "system" or style in solely judging a goalies ability or career, but if that was the case how should Marty Brodeur be judged. His teams have always been defence first and trap playing teams ideally suited for a goalie to build a prolific resume on good not great talent, Scott Clemmonson as an example.  Marty is one of the all time greats in my mind and a sure fire HOF'er but the "system" the Devils played and still do, greatly benefitted Marty's career.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I agree somewhat, you can't use a teams "system" or style in solely judging a goalies ability or career, but if that was the case how should Marty Brodeur be judged. His teams have always been defence first and trap playing teams ideally suited for a goalie to build a prolific resume on good not great talent, Scott Clemmonson as an example.  Marty is one of the all time greats in my mind and a sure fire HOF'er but the "system" the Devils played and still do, greatly benefitted Marty's career.

And he was a big reason the team was so good. The two go together. That's my point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

And he was a big reason the team was so good. The two go together. That's my point.

Can't argue that at all WTL, and yes Rask complements the B's defence well and imo will have a fine career. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The best in the modern era? That's a good start.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Post season performance will provide the answer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Best in any era. And can handle the puck better than some defenseman.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Kel...I'd like to say that & I'm a big Marty fan, but when you have the Plante's, Bowers, Sawchuk's & Hall's all playing without a mask & some of them facing Bobby Hull, Andy Bathgate & Boom, Boom & all lived??? I can't say that Marty's the best in any era. Well I can say it, but I don't believe it. Puck Handling? Marty Brodeur is the professor! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

When Chara leaves the team Bs fans will find the truth.  It is a team game, TT made money on that concept.  Rask is good, can be great, but.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Kel...I'd like to say that & I'm a big Marty fan, but when you have the Plante's, Bowers, Sawchuk's & Hall's all playing without a mask & some of them facing Bobby Hull, Andy Bathgate & Boom, Boom & all lived??? I can't say that Marty's the best in any era. Well I can say it, but I don't believe it. Puck Handling? Marty Brodeur is the professor! 

Brodeur was better then these goalies IMO. And I was a big Glenn Hall supporter as the best of that era. An electric style of goaltending back then.

All great goalies though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep 2010 was all Rask's fault. What a crock of absolute bull still being spun. Short memory for Tuukka's performance in the previous playoff round against Ryan Miller and the 103 point Sabres.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Post season performance will provide the answer

This is what will be my barometer also.  If he can continue to be consistent with his play and bring it into the playoffs we can all categorize him as good . 

One thing for sure he's been very good handling the puck and giving his D relief.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Brodeur was better then these goalies IMO. And I was a big Glenn Hall supporter as the best of that era. An electric style of goaltending back then.

502 consecutive games is a record that'll never be touched. Still amazes me how a goalie wasn't killed in those days. I know there was period where shots off the ice wasn't alllowed, but it was allowed when Hall played. The "painting my barn" is one of my favourite hockey stories. lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

502 consecutive games is a record that'll never be touched. Still amazes me how a goalie wasn't killed in those days. I know there was period where shots off the ice wasn't alllowed, but it was allowed when Hall played. The "painting my barn" is one of my favourite hockey stories. lol

In those days the sticks were like tree branches. The puck was in slo-mo compared to the modern era.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In those days the sticks were like tree branches. The puck was in slo-mo compared to the modern era.

It wasn't in slow-mo once Makita accidently invented the curve. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

in response to kelvana33's comment:

I response to nrguy's comment:

Agreed, time will tell but his success thus far has a lot to do with the Bruins system and the beast that is Chara.Rask is a very good goalie and I have faith that he is up to the task of being the top guy in Boston for years to come as long as he's healthy. I'd rather have Rask than most of the goalies across the league.I'm still happy the Bs got him for Raycroft from the Leafs and happy the Leafs got nothing when he left.

Cheers to that Kel! I find people who claim about "team systems" makes a goalie better! That's the biggest piece of kief I ever heard. A team system can make a goalie's job "easier", but it doesn't make him better!

Last night Rask showed something that we don't see very often & that his reflexes! He flashed out 2 blockers, 2 pads & made his best save on a puck that went off his own player, that showed that he can adapt & be TT like when he needs to.  For the most part Rask depends on his positioning keeping his body upright. I love the way he's playing right now & the B's are lucky they have him! Not the other way around! 

[QOUTE]

I'm back to Hockey and the Bruins after 30+ years away. I got pissed off after Orr was allowed to walk and Esposito was traded and stopped watching shortly thereafter. 

This talk of a player being a product of the system is pardon my language, a lot of krap. Certainly a player may thrive better with one team than another but a great player is a great player. It's the same BS that people spout when they claim Welker catches 100+ catches a year because he's a product of the system just as they say about Brady.

As for Rask, I'm in Milwaukee and don't get to see many Bruins games but the few games I've seen him in the last few years he looks pretty rock solid. 

Hetch 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

B's have been blessed with great goaltending with the Thomas/Rash duo over the past few seasons. I expect Tuuka to continue to be solid in net and give the B's a chance to win on the majority of nights.

One thing we don't really know is how well he'll stand up to alot of play time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

A dark horse for the Vezina.

Clearly in the upper echelon of goalies in the league.

Only time will tell, clearly there is a lot of potential there.