Kaberle is helping the PP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Kaberle is helping the PP?

Why is Kaberle making little difference? Because the Bruins problems were always at forward. They have no stars at that position and teams take advantage of that. Look at the PP. The strategy seems to be tunnel-visioned. Just get it to the point and take a screen shot. it never changes night after night. There are no hungry forwards with scoring touch to get the rebounds, no cycling of the puck down low, little movement every single power play. It's a ridiculous and predictable strategy. The "experts" on radio keep insisting he is making a difference but he is definitely not. They need a finisher and they used all that trade bait on more checkers and a defenseman.

By the way Cam, they really are trying to win every game 1 - 0.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbone77. Show tbone77's posts

Re: Kaberle is helping the PP?

If anything I think he has made the powerplay even more predictable. It looks worse now then before. Pass to chara shoot pass to chara shoot

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

This is why I was banging the drum for an offensive D Man and a sniper type with speed off the wing.

Peverley is supposed to be that guy since Chia did not got a more prominent and lethal winger.

So, Peverley hasn't been consisent in this area, but I do admit, I like what I saw from the Peverley, Bergeron, Ryder thing last night. 

Try to keep that together and go ahead and make that your second PP unit as well while you're at it.

This team has had massive personnel disruptions with trades and injuries, so they need to nail down some stability as much as possible.

Lucic Kreicji Horton (Outside of Horton's inconsistency, this has to be the #1 line)
    Peverley Bergeron Ryder (this is really the key line from here on out)
    Marchand Kelly Recchi (I still think this is their best 3rd line)
    Paille Campbell Seguin/Thornton

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfanVA. Show bosfanVA's posts

No and he is terrible defensively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a good trade at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

He isn't terrible defensively, just average

He can only do so much...the real person they miss is Savard

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The major benefit is Kaberle does not let the puck get by him. Chara, Seidenberg and Boychuck  still do; They have a pure sniper in Seguin and don't use him; Recchi has lost every positive element to his game including in close scoring; Ryder is too predictable and awful slow; Not sure if the force of Chara's shot has made Bruins wingers shy about being right in front and more than difficult to tip??; Boychuck still misses the net. Does anyone know if they practice tipping the puck??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

All good comments.

BBreigns: You're right, Krejci's line has to be #1 but they simply are too inconsistent to be that.

Krazy Joe: You nailed it. Savard was our all-star forward and Chia, for whatever reason, did not replace that and boy does it show.

Bogie: I like the idea of putting Seguin in the slot and letting him rip it. Problem is: Bruins would have to change their philosophy on PP and Julien doesn't change much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmb246. Show dmb246's posts

I don't think Kaberle is entirely to blame and I think he is a good addition to any power play ,but what I've been seeing since Kaberle showed up is get the puck to Kaberle regardless if it's the right play or not, Kriecji has been the worst offender passing up chances to shoot or move the puck low just to try to force a pass to Kaberle.
           all you have to do now is cover Kaberle and you get an easy pk

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Kaberle is helping the PP?:
    [QUOTE] Krazy Joe: You nailed it. Savard was our all-star forward and Chia, for whatever reason, did not replace that and boy does it show.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

how was pc supposed to replace savard.  if there was a point/game center out there with a 4mil cap hit, he wasn't on the trading block. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have a different take on this all the way.

It's not Kaberle, it is how he is used in the PP and the PP itself.

This speaks volumes to a coaching staff who get one of the best PMD in the league and can't figure out how to apply him.

What 8 year old came up with the idea of - 'just pass the puck to Chara'?

It is ridiculously simplistic.

This is on CJ and his staff. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I have a different take on this all the way. It's not Kaberle, it is how he is used in the PP and the PP itself. This speaks volumes to a coaching staff who get one of the best PMD in the league and can't figure out how to apply him. What 8 year old came up with the idea of - 'just pass the puck to Chara'? It is ridiculously simplistic. This is on CJ and his staff. 
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

They must have looked at old tapes where Kaberle passed the puck to McCabe and he would wire one past the goalie. It just doesn't seem to work for Big Z.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Ipot: agree

Goodnewsbears: Yeah, might not have been anyone. We heard rumors about Brad Richards. He would have helped but we don't know if he ever was available. They should have pushed for Arnott. PC loves rolde players, thats for sure.

Badhabitude: I couldn't agree more. All you need to do to stop Boston's PP is keep a forward on the half wall on Kaberle's wing and close that lane. Ridiculous strategy. I'd like to see a rotation from 2 point men to the umbrella with forwards like Bergeron or Recchi invoved. What they do now is so basic and predictable it's absurd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Ipot: agree Goodnewsbears: Yeah, might not have been anyone. We heard rumors about Brad Richards. He would have helped but we don't know if he ever was available. They should have pushed for Arnott. PC loves rolde players, thats for sure. Badhabitude: I couldn't agree more. All you need to do to stop Boston's PP is keep a forward on the half wall on Kaberle's wing and close that lane. Ridiculous strategy. I'd like to see a rotation from 2 point men to the umbrella with forwards like Bergeron or Recchi invoved. What they do now is so basic and predictable it's absurd.
    Posted by niftybear[/QUOTE]

nifty - The PP conceived by Ward does not play to the strengths of the players.   The Bruins have some big, strong players yet the extra-man situation does not have seem to have someone consistently in front of the net, screening the shots and causing a disturbance like Holstrom does for the Wings.  The arrival of Kaberle unfortunately means the Bruins have a skilled player trying to operate within the same flawed structure. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

At this point the powerplay has been so well Powerless I wouldn't mind seeing them use chara camped out in front of the net to screen the goalie. I know this may seem as a bit extreme. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I would also say I am not totally on board with that just throwing it out as a suggestion and it would also put chara in more danger of being injured by a shot. I wouldn't fault the coach if they try it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I think it is obvious right now that it is not Kaberle or any other individual but the strategy employed...i.e. Ward's system. it is simply not logical for a team to have Chara  and Kaberle on the back end and Lucic, Horton, Bergeron, and Kreji up front and have such little production on the PP. Furthermore, this is not 2010-2011 specific but a multi-year phenomenon which suggests a system, rather than  individual, failure.....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I thought they was some movements against the Preds which is a little step in the right directing but they need much more movements from the 5 guys on the ice.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I thought they was some movements against the Preds which is a little step in the right directing but they need much more movements from the 5 guys on the ice.
    Posted by lucaooo[/QUOTE]

As a hockey player, Shawn Thornton is a movement.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think it is obvious right now that it is not Kaberle or any other individual but the strategy employed...i.e. Ward's system. it is simply not logical for a team to have Chara  and Kaberle on the back end and Lucic, Horton, Bergeron, and Kreji up front and have such little production on the PP. Furthermore, this is not 2010-2011 specific but a multi-year phenomenon which suggests a system, rather than  individual, failure.....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that's the case, JM.  I've never hated a Bruin as much as Savard, but he got it done on the powerplay.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I like what Kaberle brings to the PP, great vision and passing.  I love how the PP was terrible before Kaberle, but now he gets the blame because is still ineffective.  Maybe it is their approach (system), maybe it is the other guys?  I continue to see a group of guys trying to make the perfect pass.  Simplify things, pucks and bodies to the net.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]I like what Kaberle brings to the PP, great vision and passing.  I love how the PP was terrible before Kaberle, but now he gets the blame because is still ineffective.  Maybe it is their approach (system), maybe it is the other guys?  I continue to see a group of guys trying to make the perfect pass.  Simplify things, pucks and bodies to th
    e net.

I have no doubt its the system more than the players
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle is helping the PP? : I'm not sure that's the case, JM.  I've never hated a Bruin as much as Savard, but he got it done on the powerplay.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it is the case.

Just look at that pp.  For the most part 5 guys standing around and then set up Chara for a 1 timer.  It is predictable it is boring.

I think the pp is a tick tack toe game, pass it around for the primary objective of freeing up the center square for a shot on goal, the shot from the point or elsewhere is the option, but not the primary objective.

The whole concept is wrong IMO.  References keep being made to the defenseman "quarterbacking" the PP.  I think that's wrong, and it's the wrong model.  It's not a football analogy, but a soccer analogy.  The halfback in soccer does the job of picking passes, not the fullbacks.  Who was that 'halfback' previously - SAVARD!  The choices being made in the middle, not from the back.

The Bruin closest to Savard's skills that got the pp to work - IMO that is SEGUIN.

Would Seguin have an immediate positive influence? 
    NO
    Would the PP be better after Seguin is there after about 10 PP? 
    Maybe, maybe not, probably not.
    Would the PP be better at the end of the season with Seguin in it?
    YES
    Is winning the regular season battle more important that the playoff war?
    NO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

[QUOTE] but I do admit, I like what I saw from the Peverley, Bergeron, Ryder thing last night.  Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Peverley is showing soem poise with the puck, perhaps he's becoming comfortable.  The kid has some moves and his PK skills are sarting to shine.

Sections
Shortcuts