kaberle to carolina

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Re: kaberle to carolina

In Response to Re: kaberle to carolina:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: kaberle to carolina : I don't agree. I think the difference is that Ference played above expectations and Kaberle was below. While playing 4-1/2 minutes more per game, Ference was a point behind Kaberle and he only had 5 more shots on goal. If Kaberle doesn't shoot the puck, shouldn't Ference have outshot/outpointed him by a wide margin if he "outplayed him by a mile"? I'll be interested in seeing the complaints if Boston's breakout starts to suffer once again without Kaberle moving the puck. Most of the Boston D likes to play ping-pong behind the net before trying to move the puck up ice.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

You have some good points Dez.  Sometimes it is about expectations rather than who actually played better.  Ference stepped up and contributed some key goals which we probably didn't expect.  We were hoping Kaberle would spark the powerplay which he didn't, so he did not meet our expectations.  I also realize that a guy like Kaberle does some subtle things that may be missed and he makes them look easy, so we take them for granted.  He makes a great first pass and he can skate, so both these allow a good transition to offense.  

The problem as compared to a Ference for example is that he has no sandpaper in his game and I don't mean throwing big hits.  I mean taking hits and winning puck battles.  Those things may be over-looked if he was quarterbacking a strong power-play.  The biggest problem however was the salary hit.  I would have taken Kaberle back in an instant at $3 Million or so a season but over $4 seems a little high. If you are right and the Bruins break-out suffers then it may look like chump change.  Still the Bruins won the Cup with him only playing 5/6 D minutes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Kaberle is loyal to the money.  We don't need him.  He got his ring.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.  Actually maybe let it hit ya.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Shupe c'mon, Kaberle would avoid the door hitting him at ALL costs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: kaberle to carolina : You have some good points Dez.  Sometimes it is about expectations rather than who actually played better.  Ference stepped up and contributed some key goals which we probably didn't expect.  We were hoping Kaberle would spark the powerplay which he didn't, so he did not meet our expectations.  I also realize that a guy like Kaberle does some subtle things that may be missed and he makes them look easy, so we take them for granted.  He makes a great first pass and he can skate, so both these allow a good transition to offense.   The problem as compared to a Ference for example is that he has no sandpaper in his game and I don't mean throwing big hits.  I mean taking hits and winning puck battles.  Those things may be over-looked if he was quarterbacking a strong power-play.  The biggest problem however was the salary hit.  I would have taken Kaberle back in an instant at $3 Million or so a season but over $4 seems a little high. If you are right and the Bruins break-out suffers then it may look like chump change.  Still the Bruins won the Cup with him only playing 5/6 D minutes.
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]
    Hunt, I agree with this in it's entirety.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

For a guy who wanted to play in Boston, he sure left quick when Lord Stanley came!

Not worth the money. Good job PC in letting him walk. Not that I could ever do a better job than you.

Let's get some young guys up and learning how to play Bruins hockey. Kabs sure didn't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Like Corvo, good pick up but would rather have Kaberle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Like Corvo, good pick up but would rather have Kaberle.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    I second this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Kaberle was paid $4.25 million per, the exact same amount per year of the deal that he just completed.  Right around the amount per annum of Jovanovski (4.1, 4 years), Pitkanen (4.5, 3 years), Ehrhoff (4.0, but for 10 years), Brewer (4.0, 4 years) and Bieksa (4.6, 5 years)

Many people seem to feel that he was overpaid, but weren't most of the free agents overpaid this offseason (save for Vokoun/Gagne)?  I see why Chia did not want to pony up 12.75 million (for three years), but the B's are still WELL under the salary cap.  Let us hope that they re-sign Marchand and extend David Krejci with some of the 10 million (or 14 million if Savard retires) in cap space.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kaberle doesn't hit anyone.

Corvo hit a woman.

I'd rather the devil we know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: kaberle to carolina : Actually he is top 4 dman.. and he should be paid that much.. who would you put ahead of him..Upchuk? Ference? McQuaid?  come on?  Kabs has more skill than all three combined..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]
    I would say he used to be a top four Dman.  Game 7 when the money is on the line, he logged 9 minutes of icetime. I would take Boychuck and McQuaid over him anyday. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Well that's the end of that! Please hurray Hamilton in your development don't want to see a ton of bridge contracts over the next few years till your ready.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: kaberle to carolina : Actually he is top 4 dman.. and he should be paid that much.. who would you put ahead of him..Upchuk? Ference? McQuaid?  come on?  Kabs has more skill than all three combined..

Actually I expected him to play like he was the second most well paid d-man the Bruins had in the playoffs....unfortunately he played like he was worth McQuaid money....no loss here....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Totally disagree.  Chara/Seids and Boychuk/Ference were all getting more ice time than Kaberle by the time the playoffs were coming to a glorious end.  Kaberle and McQuaid were clearly the bottom pairing and their TOI proved it.  With the same top 4 returning I don't see how that changes.  So on the Bruins, IMO there is no dispute regarding the role Kaberle fell into.  On a lesser team like Carolina, I'm sure he'll get top 4 minutes.  If Kabby still considers himself a top 4 dman, I think he'll be assuming that role on non-playoff teams for the rest of his career.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Conclusion:

I'm glad Chiarelli swallowed his pride and didn't sign Kaberle to that contract. Over paid.
    Some GM's giving up what they did for a rental would have done all possible to look good and sign him.
    Of course it's ALLOT EASIER WHEN YOU'RE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS !!!