Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.

For a team with 2 players that didn't even practice with the team yet, and considering that they didn't play that well, it's a pretty good sign that they won.

Wow, what is Kaberle feeling now?  How long has it been since he's been on the winning side on an off night?

How are the Bruins feeling after a win on a bad night?

The new parts of the Buins seem to fit pretty well and it seems like Peverley should blend right in.

How much was Kaberle worth?  Was the price worth it?  Let's see how the Leafs do without him.  That should give us some indicators.  Also, the worse the Lafs do, the better that draft pick of course.

I watched some of the Flyers\Canes last night.  It looks to me like the chemistry with Versteeg isn't working out that well.  They didn't look good at all in the loss. 

I think the flyers have been overachieving this year, it's time they had a downfall.

And in the meantime the Devils are on fire.  They should surpass the Leafs and might even challenge for a playoff spot.  Really amazing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.

If you want something of value, you have to give something of value.  The B's paid for Kaberle and got him.  The Leafs are going to fall like stones in the standings.  They've traded a top point producer, their #1 defenseman and a third player and have replaced them with Marlies.

Too early to judge anything on the Versteeg deal.  Chemistry in a classroom is instant, but not on the ice.  The Flyers are a solid team with forwards that we'd sell our mothers for and rock solid defense.  Their goaltending will be the downfall.

The Devils are no joke.  They've been a comedy of errors, but that sitcom ended.  Their wins will continue to pile up and they'll easily end the season well above TML.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I think the price was definitely worth it, however it was obviously pretty heavy.  Every piece Boston gave away was expendable though.  There really wasn't much room for Colbourne with the Bruins abundance of centers.  He (more than) likely would have been stuck down in Providence for the remained of his entry-level contract and who knows what might have happened then.

The first round pick was expendable for obvious reasons.  Another upside of the trade is that it makes the Leafs worse.  The Leafs have no offensive punch on the back line anymore.  The closest thing they have is Schenn (feel free to correct me here if I am wrong, but Phaneuf is still regressing and looks horrible).

PC did what he had to do to get this piece of the puzzle and you have to give him credit.

Here's hoping this puts the Bruins over the top and causes the Leafs to plummet in the standings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Kaberle was a must.  He fit the mold of everything we needed. 
    PP Master- check
    Good Outlet Passer- check
    20 + mins/game- check
    smooth skater- check

Sure he isnt a physical beast but we don't need him to be.  I like the look of the new lineup.  Peverly/Kelly add a big shot of speed.  Would be fun to watch those two with Marchand.  

Our PP and PK has improved.  Two vital areas in the playoffs.  Our transition game also gets a big shot in the arm with Kaberle.

As for Philly, they are for real.  They have 3 solid lines and the best defense core in the league.  As NAS said their goaltending could be the downfall.  But they easily have enough to make a cup run.
    Tampa has also made moves that I thought they would.  I think they have the best top 2 lines in the East. 
    Washington has been quiet but will make a massive move in my eyes.  They have to win a few rounds this year. They have a lot of prospects, lots of young goalies and all their own picks.  I see them adding a goalie and a 2nd line center.  If they nab Brad Richards they will be amazing.  They have the assets to do it. 

New Jersey will also get a boost from Parise.  A little too late but they will be hard to play against down the stretch.  Hard to believe they are doing this w/o Marty.  I wonder if he considers retiring after this year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

The price was a little steep, but, if there is demand you have to anti-up.  TSN said something last night that San Jose almost got Kaberle for a 1st roudner last summer, with a full year on the contract.  The price went up... a lot.

It's going to take this "new" team a while to gel.  I wouldn't be suprised if they end up down in the 5-6 seed by season's end.  I won't be panicking.  Just make the playoffs and let it fly then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Burke said last night " the idea of a team and making the play-offs and then getting hammered in the 1st rd is not my ideal of rebuilding." I don't know about Versteeg going to Philly and why does Philly need another player when they playing consistent hockey all year.Undecided

For our Bruins your right BH Peverly( 1 year remaining on contract very good value) will fit into Wheels skates with extra speed. Kelly can play PK but has more grit then Wheels and can drop the gloves if need be. The Check Mates (Slovakia and Czech) pairing of Chara and Kab will boost the PK( and Krejci will have a better performance from here on in cause these two in the locker with him). Overall the trades the PC made did improve the team with PP grit and extra speed.

Voliba ( another big d man with growing pains will have Kab and Big Z to help nurture him into the NHL) another brothers from the same area as Big Z Kab and Krejci.

Overall PC must extend Kaberle contract to stay in Boston for at least 2 years.Money mouth

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I'm thinking that the Wheeler - Peverley trade is a saw off. I honestly don't know much about Peverley's game, just what some of you posters here have mentioned. So I hope it works out for both clubs.

As for Kaberle trade. In my thought. It comes down to 2 points. One. Can the Bruins resign him ? I really really hope so.

Second and most important is. Will Joe Colbourne be a good NHL player ? We haven't had a Providence update on these boards for awhile, but the last one mentioned that he is still really slow. Will he ever have NHL feet ? If he does, then we will have let a good one go. But I'm thinking management has all ready made their decision by trading him. That's what they get paid to do. Hope they made the right choice. Go Bruins !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.:
    [QUOTE]The price was a little steep, but, if there is demand you have to anti-up.  TSN said something last night that San Jose almost got Kaberle for a 1st roudner last summer, with a full year on the contract.  The price went up... a lot. It's going to take this "new" team a while to gel.  I wouldn't be suprised if they end up down in the 5-6 seed by season's end.  I won't be panicking.  Just make the playoffs and let it fly then.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

They might have almost gotten him for a for a '71 SuperBeetle, but they didn't because it wasn't enough. 

The price, in the end, wasn't much more than that.  Joe Colborne has done absolutely nothing this season in Providence.  College forwards rarely do much at all in the NHL.  Yeah, Kessel and Kariya, but not many more.  Just ask Atlanta about that kid Wheeler in a few years. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : They might have almost gotten him for a for a '71 SuperBeetle, but they didn't because it wasn't enough.  The price, in the end, wasn't much more than that.  Joe Colborne has done absolutely nothing this season in Providence.  College forwards rarely do much at all in the NHL.  Yeah, Kessel and Kariya, but not many more.  Just ask Atlanta about that kid Wheeler in a few years. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Is Oates the best college forward ever?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

With all the talk surrounding Kaberle....Kelly Peverley and Valabik have taken a back seat....Kelly and Peverley are speedy and can pot some goals but Valabik could be an interesting piece...this defenseman is huge at 6'7 255 and was a high draft pick taken 10th overall...he is described on UF hockey talent board as possibly the meanest European to ever come to the OHL at the time and is a feared fighter...at 25 has not reached his potential and is deemed a project but then again isnt Joe Colbourne somewhat the same...he certainly hasn't lit up the AHL and thats a far cry from the NHL...time will eventually show who wins out on deals....look at Wheeler...all the size but still soft...Joe could be a carbon copy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : They might have almost gotten him for a for a '71 SuperBeetle, but they didn't because it wasn't enough. The price, in the end, wasn't much more than that.  Joe Colborne has done absolutely nothing this season in Providence.  College forwards rarely do much at all in the NHL.  Yeah, Kessel and Kariya, but not many more.  Just ask Atlanta about that kid Wheeler in a few years. 

Yes but, unlike these boards, real GM's put out realistic trade proposals.  This could have happened.  I don't think the leafs have much use for a '71 SuperBeatle.  Although, I can picture Ron Wilson riding around in a clown car. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]If you want something of value, you have to give something of value.  The B's paid for Kaberle and got him.  The Leafs are going to fall like stones in the standings.  They've traded a top point producer, their #1 defenseman and a third player and have replaced them with Marlies. Too early to judge anything on the Versteeg deal.  Chemistry in a classroom is instant, but not on the ice.  The Flyers are a solid team with forwards that we'd sell our mothers for and rock solid defense.  Their goaltending will be the downfall. The Devils are no joke.  They've been a comedy of errors, but that sitcom ended.  Their wins will continue to pile up and they'll easily end the season well above TML.
    Sergei Bobrovsky= 23-9-3 W-L-OTL, 2.44 GAA, .919 SV%

Brian Boucher= 14-6-2 W-L-OTL, 2.27 GAA, .920 SV%

Sure it's not Vezina-esque goaltending, but based on cup-winning goalies in recent years, I think it's more than good enough to win the cup

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]If you want something of value, you have to give something of value.  The B's paid for Kaberle and got him.  The Leafs are going to fall like stones in the standings.  They've traded a top point producer, their #1 defenseman and a third player and have replaced them with Marlies. Too early to judge anything on the Versteeg deal.  Chemistry in a classroom is instant, but not on the ice.  The Flyers are a solid team with forwards that we'd sell our mothers for and rock solid defense.  Their goaltending will be the downfall. The Devils are no joke.  They've been a comedy of errors, but that sitcom ended.  Their wins will continue to pile up and they'll easily end the season well above TML.

Awright, yup, the chemisry is a long term experiment.

There is a first impression, that happens once.

I saw Versteeg not be able to keep up with his guy on the backcheck, muscle Versteeg off and get the GWG.

So far, not so good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : Yes but, unlike these boards, real GM's put out realistic trade proposals.  This could have happened.  I don't think the leafs have much use for a '71 SuperBeatle.  Although, I can picture Ron Wilson riding around in a clown car. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

When I was watching TSN yesterday, I didn't think they said San Jose almost got him.  I thought they said the offer was made and rejected by the Leafs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]With all the talk surrounding Kaberle....Kelly Peverley and Valabik have taken a back seat....Kelly and Peverley are speedy and can pot some goals but Valabik could be an interesting piece...this defenseman is huge at 6'7 255 and was a high draft pick taken 10th overall...he is described on UF hockey talent board as possibly the meanest European to ever come to the OHL at the time and is a feared fighter...at 25 has not reached his potential and is deemed a project but then again isnt Joe Colbourne somewhat the same...he certainly hasn't lit up the AHL and thats a far cry from the NHL...time will eventually show who wins out on deals....look at Wheeler...all the size but still soft...Joe could be a carbon copy.
    Posted by saultont[/QUOTE]

That is a another aspect of this worth mentioning.

Knowing when the produce is going passed expiration date.

Kobasew ring a bell?

We'll see, but this aspect is something a lot of people overlook.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : Is Oates the best college forward ever?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Brett Hull?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : Brett Hull?
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    Ironic they were the two that came to mind for us.Brett Hull was lethal.The idea that he would surpass his Dad as a player seemed absurd when he starred for Moncton in the AHL.I guess there is no doubting they were the best tandem of college forwards to play together.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS,

I put a college team together for you.  I know you said fwds.
    Goalie: Miller/TT/Rollie/Rick D
    DMen:
    Keith/Boyle
    Jack&Erik Johnson
    Whitney/Carle
    Liles/Komisarek/Gill
    Fwds
    1. Toews/Heatley/Cammalleri
    2. Kelser/Paul Statsny/Kunitz
    3. Horcoff/Drury/Grier
    4. Modo/Malone/Knuble
    5. Pavelski/Morrison/Van Riemsdyk
    6. Rolston/Okposo/Gionta

Some oldies just in case you wanted to know. Brindamour, Tkachuk, Guerin, Amonte, Leclair.

Here is a link of college players on current NHL teams.  I didnt think it was this many.  http://www.collegehockeyinc.com/view/ncaa/news/news_19603

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Kabs gliding sideways along the blue line on the PP last night was a welcome sight I haven't seen all year from the Bruins skating-challenged D-men. It's exactly what they needed to create more oppts. on the PP.

I think I'm most excited to see how well Peverly fits in. Speed is always welcomed and I have to believe he'll stick on the puck beter than Wheeler, who seemed to give up the rock at the slightest touch and had very little in the way of stick-handling skill.

I just hope the news adds don't mean the back seat for Seguin. I like the kid on the wing and I want him to get minutes. His speed is truly phenomenal and he CAN put the puck home.

Who knows what the playoffs hold. I still don't see the B's as good enuff to overcome the Flyers or TB...but I could (and hope) be wrong.

Another nice sign from last night's game--Tuuka kept them from losing. He made some very big saves at the right time and it's gotta help his confidence.

One more question: why do the B's seem to find ways to win on the road and find ways to lose at home?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, there are some college forwards that have done great things.  When you are forced to envoke the names of Kunitz and Grier near the top of the list, my point is cemented.  (You forgot Marty St. Louis!)

I've done a lot of research (out of sheer boredom and the love for draft knowledge) on college players, when they were drafted and their career paths.  When you look at the number of college players drafted, their impact percentage is very, very low. 

If Dwayne Roloson is on your list, it's trouble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Combine any combo of those players and you win the cup this year.  Kunitz isnt a star but he is useful.  Top line with Sid?  And Rollie would back up Miller and this yrs Vezina winner.  :-)

The list of players is actually rising.  Major Junior is still the major feeder but with so many Euro's being drafted as well as college it is making the numbers more balanced.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I like Kaberle with Seidenberg I think they will help each other in the ends there most proficient in. Once Dennis seals off the puck or does one of his patended soccer saves Kaberle is so quick, effortless in his turn n get the puck up the ice.

Versteeg was really brought in for the playoffs then I believe he will be traded during the off season as Philly has some free agents to lock up Kris will be jettisoned again. Kris is built for the playoffs so I don't pay much attention to him now. Agreed I am not impressed with the Flyers goaltending at all!

For some reason I still believe that Toronto #1 pick might still be in play for the right offer PC just might not be done.

PS. For my money another BC Eagle Hells Kitchens own Joe Mullen should be added to the list.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

NAS,

Who's wins a 3 team round robin.  Euro NHLers vs College NHLers vs Major Junior NHLers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Once Dennis seals off the puck or does one of his patended soccer saves Kaberle is so quick, effortless in his turn n get the puck up the ice. 
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    My Godson always yells kick save and a beauty everytime Dennis has one of his soccer saves.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS, Who's wins a 3 team round robin.  Euro NHLers vs College NHLers vs Major Junior NHLers.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Major Juniors, followed by non-North Americans with NCAA bringing up the rear. 

Sections
Shortcuts