Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.

Interesting to read all the variations, and I was thinking that NAS means that College players who are Canadian like St.louis are in the second grouping, but the classification is a bit confusing. Getting back to the original posty, Kaberle will make a major difference in how the Bruins progress from here. How Claude lines up his new troops will probably be a challenge for everyone.
                     Ryder/Kelly/Seguin
                     Ryder/Peverley/Seguin  although moving Rex to the 4th line could add Seguin or Peverly or Kelly to Bergeron's wing. Otherwise we have:
                     Peverly/Campbell/Thornton/Paille 
           The biggest problem to flexibility is that Ryder does not vision himself as a 4th line player and it would appear in his commitment, plus Thornton has the lowest skill capability of all. So, just sit Thornton and the speed and skill quotient is much better, and adding any of the speedier players to Bergeron's line could be a major improvement.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : When I was watching TSN yesterday, I didn't think they said San Jose almost got him.  I thought they said the offer was made and rejected by the Leafs.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan[/QUOTE]

It goes without saying the offer was rejected, otherwise he'd be a Shark.  In my way of thinking, the fact the offer was made gave it credibility.  I guess for semantics sake I shouldn't have used the word "Close" as there is no variance, it either gets the deal done or it doesn't.  I was "close" on the sense that Doug Wilson thought it was a reasonable offer for Kaberle. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : It goes without saying the offer was rejected, otherwise he'd be a Shark.  In my way of thinking, the fact the offer was made gave it credibility.  I guess for semantics sake I shouldn't have used the word "Close" as there is no variance, it either gets the deal done or it doesn't.  I was "close" on the sense that Doug Wilson thought it was a reasonable offer for Kaberle. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Brian Burke thought Kessel and Boston's first round pick were reasonable for Kaberle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : Brian Burke thought Kessel and Boston's first round pick were reasonable for Kaberle.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Correct, and that was close too.  If you are comparing to what we paid yesterday, remember there were a couple of years Kaberle was under contract where this could just be a rental.  The value should be going down significantly as he is closer to UFA, which leads back to my original point that I think we slightly overpaid for Kaberle.  Not enough to make it a bad deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : Correct, and that was close too.  If you are comparing to what we paid yesterday, remember there were a couple of years Kaberle was under contract where this could just be a rental.  The value should be going down significantly as he is closer to UFA, which leads back to my original point that I think we slightly overpaid for Kaberle.  Not enough to make it a bad deal.

time will tell, but i don't think we overpaid. colborne isn't really tearing up the ahl. i'm not convinced he would have ever made this team. and a late 1st rounder is far from a sure shot at becoming a quality nhler.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : They might have almost gotten him for a for a '71 SuperBeetle, but they didn't because it wasn't enough.  The price, in the end, wasn't much more than that.  Joe Colborne has done absolutely nothing this season in Providence.  College forwards rarely do much at all in the NHL.  Yeah, Kessel and Kariya, but not many more.  Just ask Atlanta about that kid Wheeler in a few years. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Tkachuk,Guerin,Modano,Gionta,Parise,Weight,Brind'Amour,Nieuwendyk,Oates,Hull,Joe Mullen...pretty good list off the top of my head.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : Tkachuk,Guerin,Modano,Gionta,Parise,Weight,Brind'Amour,Nieuwendyk,Oates,Hull,Joe Mullen...pretty good list off the top of my head.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

You know what else is a good list?  The rest of the players in hockey history.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick.:
    [QUOTE]For a team with 2 players that didn't even practice with the team yet, and considering that they didn't play that well, it's a pretty good sign that they won. Wow, what is Kaberle feeling now?  How long has it been since he's been on the winning side on an off night? How are the Bruins feeling after a win on a bad night? The new parts of the Buins seem to fit pretty well and it seems like Peverley should blend right in. How much was Kaberle worth?  Was the price worth it?  Let's see how the Leafs do without him.  That should give us some indicators.  Also, the worse the Lafs do, the better that draft pick of course. I watched some of the Flyers\Canes last night.  It looks to me like the chemistry with Versteeg isn't working out that well.  They didn't look good at all in the loss.  I think the flyers have been overachieving this year, it's time they had a downfall. And in the meantime the Devils are on fire.  They should surpass the Leafs and might even challenge for a playoff spot.  Really amazing.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if this was posted, but I wonder if Chiarelli timed the trades with the road trip and the extended time off between games, to the players' and coaching staff's advantage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : I'm not sure if this was posted, but I wonder if Chiarelli timed the trades with the road trip and the extended time off between games, to the players' and coaching staff's advantage.
    Posted by watchtower[/QUOTE]

I think the timing was more based on how crappy the team was playing.  I think the uncertainty was affecting them.  Time now to concentrate on Hockey. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : I think the timing was more based on how crappy the team was playing.  I think the uncertainty was affecting them.  Time now to concentrate on Hockey. 
    Although as a fan,I hate the off days, I'm happy the team has a few days to practice and create some chemistry before  taking on a surging Flames team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Tyler Bozak, a college teammate of Colborne's at Denver was on THE FAN 590 today and said many positives about him but included that he's learning to "use his size to get some separation" from defenders.  

Soon afterwards the noticable tone of callers went from crowing about Burke "stealing" Boston's first rounder this year for a player who probably won't resign with the B's to Burke obtaining a 6-5, 215 pound "softie." 

I think what added to Leaf Nation's giddiness was Colborne scoring today during regulation and SO in his debut with the Marlies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jman4. Show jman4's posts

So we gave up a first round pick a 6ft 5" guy who does not hit. If he never played tough in his life up to now, he never will. His father is wealthly, the kid does not need the sport. I say a the Leafs go stiffed on this one.

Go B's

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/941775--cox-kaberle-deal-fits-into-burke-s-master-plan

One view from the Toronto Star's Damien Cox, folks. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Just an FYI, not that it makes a difference one way or the other in the debate at this point in time but Colborne scored a goal and added a shoot-out goal in his first game as a Marlie.

Shoot-out goal was really nice.  Kid has good hands

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=98706

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntari. Show RichmondHillOntari's posts

[QUOTE]Just an FYI, not that it makes a difference one way or the other in the debate at this point in time but Colborne scored a goal and added a shoot-out goal in his first game as a Marlie. Shoot-out goal was really nice.  Kid has good hands http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=98706
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

LRH - Agreed.  His debut was impressive.  With the Bruins he was in a logjam having to unseat Krejci, pre/post-concussed Savard, Bergeron and Campbell on the big club.  On the baby B's he may have been behind Hamill, Spooner, Arniel and the long-awaited Soderberg over in Sweden. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]NAS, I put a college team together for you.  I know you said fwds. Goalie: Miller/TT/Rollie/Rick D DMen: Keith/Boyle Jack&Erik Johnson Whitney/Carle Liles/Komisarek/Gill Fwds 1. Toews/Heatley/Cammalleri 2. Kelser/Paul Statsny/Kunitz 3. Horcoff/Drury/Grier 4. Modo/Malone/Knuble 5. Pavelski/Morrison/Van Riemsdyk 6. Rolston/Okposo/Gionta Some oldies just in case you wanted to know. Brindamour, Tkachuk, Guerin, Amonte, Leclair. Here is a link of college players on current NHL teams.  I didnt think it was this many.  http://www.collegehockeyinc.com/view/ncaa/news/news_19603
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE] Good stuff. Slam dunk!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Kaberle trade evaluation & Leafs 1st round pick. : I'm not sure if this was posted, but I wonder if Chiarelli timed the trades with the road trip and the extended time off between games, to the players' and coaching staff's advantage.
    Posted by watchtower[/QUOTE] I mentioned the same thing to a co-worker today. The timing is about as good as the bruins could want.