Kadri steamrolls Backstrom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Kadri steamrolls Backstrom

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

They have to stick with the precedent of making absolutely no sense.

I guess the NHL can't believe one player can deliver 2 dangerous checks in one game. I don't think there's ever been a player who got 2 suspensions from 2 different checks in one game, and apparently the NHL's diciplinary arm didn't know how to deal with it. Sherriff Shanny didn't want to make a precedent.

Cool, so if you've thrown a suspendable hit, but somehow were not thrown out of the game, you've now got immunity until the horn sounds?  Got it.  Some specious interpretation of double jeopardy maybe...?  

Whitey Bulger would love Shanahan.  'Excuse me, that murder came after I already killed someone else earlier that day -- you can't ding me for both!' 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I guess the NHL can't believe one player can deliver 2 dangerous checks in one game. I don't think there's ever been a player who got 2 suspensions from 2 different checks in one game, and apparently the NHL's diciplinary arm didn't know how to deal with it. Sherriff Shanny didn't want to make a precedent.

Cool, so if you've thrown a suspendable hit, but somehow were not thrown out of the game, you've now got immunity until the horn sounds?  Got it.  Some specious interpretation of double jeopardy maybe...?  

Whitey Bulger would love Shanahan.  'Excuse me, that murder came after I already killed someone else earlier that day -- you can't ding me for both!' 

Is it definite that the other hit wont be reviewed? Don't all match penalties get one? I think he should be called in for the other one and get 5 games. I said it earlier, I dont think he'll be treated as a repeat offender for the same game, but I don't agree with it.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'd much rather get hit with elbow wearing a goalie mask than a regular helmet. The inside of the goalie helmets are lined with softer padding than regualr helmets. . Then you have the cage. Looking at it, I don't know if it was enough to be injured, that said, I'm in my living room he's on the ice.

Kel, I think he bounces the back of his head off the ice pretty good too.  I think that's where more damage may have been done.

Also, sometimes concussions are caused by the rapid jolt of the head, more than the actual impact coming through the helmet, because your brain gets jolted by the inside of the skull.  Like, you can get a concussion from severe whiplash even if your head doesn't hit anything.

Anyhow, whatever, I'm no doctor and am just repeating what I've heard, but I see no evidence of faking there.  I actually was impressed with Backstrom for sending the trainer back to the bench and trying to stay in there.  I though that, if anything, he tried to minimize any injury.  Who knows.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd much rather get hit with elbow wearing a goalie mask than a regular helmet. The inside of the goalie helmets are lined with softer padding than regualr helmets. . Then you have the cage. Looking at it, I don't know if it was enough to be injured, that said, I'm in my living room he's on the ice.

Kel, I think he bounces the back of his head off the ice pretty good too.  I think that's where more damage may have been done.

Also, sometimes concussions are caused by the rapid jolt of the head, more than the actual impact coming through the helmet, because your brain gets jolted by the inside of the skull.  Like, you can get a concussion from severe whiplash even if your head doesn't hit anything.

Anyhow, whatever, I'm no doctor and am just repeating what I've heard, but I see no evidence of faking there.  I actually was impressed with Backstrom for sending the trainer back to the bench and trying to stay in there.  I though that, if anything, he tried to minimize any injury.  Who knows.

Back of the helmet, not much for protection, thats where regualr helmets win. Neck snapping back (I'm thinking this is it, obviously a guess) the most dangerous part of the play is not being able to brace for the hit.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Is it definite that the other hit wont be reviewed? Don't all match penalties get one? I think he should be called in for the other one and get 5 games. I said it earlier, I dont think he'll be treated as a repeat offender for the same game, but I don't agree with it.

Right on -- If they want to say the second head shot didn't deserve an additional suspension -- so be it -- but they can't NOT at least review it or Shanny really comes out looking like a total fool (AGAIN).

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

"Cool, so if you've thrown a suspendable hit, but somehow were not thrown out of the game, you've now got immunity until the horn sounds? Got it. Some specious interpretation of double jeopardy maybe...?

Whitey Bulger would love Shanahan. 'Excuse me, that murder came after I already killed someone else earlier that day -- you can't ding me for both!"

Now that's a humorous analogy, love it

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Different in the sense that you were pooping your diaper over Marchand's hit and now you put the accountability on the goalie.  Your position is inconsistent, didn't realize there was a statute of limitations when pointing that out.  Not sure why you didn't get your panties in a twist with shupe who immediately brings up the Lucic hit on a Kadri thread, wasn't that two years ago?

What is consistent in both cases is your desire to be "Johnny Contrarian".  Another "look at me" moment from you.

I didn't bother with Shupe's fire starter because when he gets his feet in position, there is no moving him.  Ever.

I've put no accountability on the goalie.  He was in the crease.  Kadri bumped into him.  It's two for interference. 

Pooping my diaper?  Panties in a twist?  Your position is so weak you have to resort to remarks like this to deflect.  Sad.

Marchand makes contact with Umberger by extending his elbow as he skates by.  Kadri makes contact with Backstrom and moves his arm afterward.

Please tell me how they are similar.

Want to get this right, the guy who told me to "F-off" in his previuos post is trying to take the high road now on style?

When you argue style over substance it's kind of, game, set, match.

I'm sure there is a new opportunity right around the corner to play your contrarian card.  Good luck with that.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Look at the two pictures you just quoted in your post.

You said those hits were similar.

Tell me how.

Better yet, Crowls, you should let this thread die.  That's what people like to do when they get tarred and feathered.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What do you see there that amounts to one iota of evidence of Backstrom faking an injury?

According to Sherriff Shanny in his video review, Backstrom suffered a serious injury.

If this is in fact correct, it totally changes the context of my earlier post.  Dirty hits that cause injury, in my view, are the kicker.  I originally thought Backstrom was uninjured, and probably somewhat embellised the infraction, thus making a penalty sufficient.  It appears I was totally incorrect in that assumption.  Based on the fact that the keeper was in his crease, and smack is always less tolerated on goalies than the other players.....I update my position to 7 shit-kickings and 4 games.

In fact

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

For the record i said 2 gms so not really baiting.  Also dreger tweeted that lucic changed the landscape with goalie contact after his miller run.  Saying GMs met and agreed to protect goalies. So i have backing from them and assume as a repeat offender he would get 30 games for his run on miller.  Players from now on no matter what the play should get a game for any goalie contact.   I remember TT drilling a Sedin in the finals.  Why is this permitted.  Why do goalies use this rule to their advantage.  In terms of kadris other hit, if that is s suspension just pull hitting out of hockey.  He did eberything right and tucked his elbow down.  He hit more with his chest.  Every night there is a review.  The league stinks.  

kadri is a fine player.  also has a lot of marchand in him.  

To be blunty honest, i thought the play was dumb, but not really that bad.   Goalies dive more then soccer players in habs jerseys.  

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"GMs met and agreed to protect goalies. So i have backing from them"

Baha...classic stuff shupe.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

For the record i said 2 gms so not really baiting.  Also dreger tweeted that lucic changed the landscape with goalie contact after his miller run.  Saying GMs met and agreed to protect goalies. So i have backing from them and assume as a repeat offender he would get 30 games for his run on miller.  Players from now on no matter what the play should get a game for any goalie contact.   I remember TT drilling a Sedin in the finals.  Why is this permitted.  Why do goalies use this rule to their advantage.  In terms of kadris other hit, if that is s suspension just pull hitting out of hockey.  He did eberything right and tucked his elbow down.  He hit more with his chest.  Every night there is a review.  The league stinks.  

To be blunty honest, i thought the play was dumb, but not really that bad.   Goalies dive more then soccer players in habs jerseys.  

Love is blind shupe.  He did everything right...that's until the principle point of contact was the poor guy's head sandwiched into the glass!

In response to hangnail's comment:

Love is blind shupe.  He did everything right...that's until the principle point of contact was the poor guy's head sandwiched into the glass!

shupe and the GM's didn't see that part...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Like Lucic on Spacek in the 2011 playoffs?.   After that hit GMs agreed to try and cut down on running a guy in the numbers and slamming head in glass.  no suspension on lucic in that case   

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Like Lucic on Spacek in the 2011 playoffs?.   After that hit GMs agreed to try and cut down on running a guy in the numbers and slamming head in glass.  no suspension on lucic in that case   

That's right, and there shouldn't have been.  After shooting the puck, Spacek put himself in a bad position.  Lucic was just finishing his check.

The Kadri hit was blindside and to the head.  Two very different hits.

• Sections
    Shortcuts