Kampfer vs Stuart

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Kampfer vs Stuart

I am willing to live with Kampfer's inexperience so far and hopefully he gains enough confidence  thru out the season and starts to feel more at ease back there... love his skating, and has good puck control coming out of the defensive zone.. also seems to have some offensive knack to his game...

To me when Stuart comes back , it's an easy decision.. McQuaid sits or goes down.. you keep these two..I haven't really been impressed with McQuaid to date.. maybe others see different..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Stuart isn't even an option to sit in the press box.  It will be either Kampfer or Mcquaid.  I like Mcquaid, but he should be the guy to sit.  Kampfer brings more offense which they need more of right now, Mcquaid is just a poor man's Stuart, and a good #6-7 D-man to have around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Kalman posted this on his Blog earlier...thought it might shed light on what PC is able to do at this point...

"Now, the way he’s playing the Bruins would probably want Kampfer to stay and could easily do that by just assigning him and recalling him. However, Kampfer is on an entry-level deal with bonuses built in, as opposed to Adam McQuaid, who’s on his second pro deal and makes a flat $575,000. So there might be cap restraints that prevent Boston, which is right up against the maximum, from keeping Kampfer without moving someone else.

"Remember, Kampfer doesn’t require waivers to go down, but McQuaid does. So it’d be a risk to send down McQuaid. And the way Daniel Paille has been resurrected, it’s unlikely Boston would try to sneak him down to Providence either. Kampfer might be ticketed for even more P-Bruins seasoning once Stuart’s back."

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/12/31/mailbag-on-kampfers-future-and-more-year-end-bruins-related-topics/#more-12793

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Kampfer vs Stuart:
    Stuart isn't even an option to sit in the press box.  It will be either Kampfer or Mcquaid.  I like Mcquaid, but he should be the guy to sit.  Kampfer brings more offense which they need more of right now, Mcquaid is just a poor man's Stuart, and a good #6-7 D-man to have around.
    Posted by abra-cadaver

Stuart will play a string of games (5-8) in my opinion then get traded. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Kampfer vs Stuart : Stuart will play a string of games (5-8) in my opinion then get traded. 
    Posted by xenimus

I agree because when Kampfer is on the ice Boston has their best puck possession. Teams are desperate for defensive help with Stuart's experience he will fetch quite a bit pick and a prospect PC won't just give him away so Steve can play.

Kalman makes a good point and it might hold true but the Bruins would lose mobility and it will hurt Boston immensely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't know if it'll be Stuart or Kampfer.

Maybe it's Stuart or Boychuk.

Maybe it's Kampfer or McQuaid.

Maybe it's Boychuk or McQuaid.

I originally wasn't happy with Kampfer's mistakes, but a few games later, I want to see him stick with the NHL club.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

As much as I like Stuart. I think he's the one with the most value. Especially since he'll be fairly easy to re-sign. Also, bring a back a higher draft pick, if that's what PC asks for in return.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

As much as I like Stuart. I think he's the one with the most value. Especially since he'll be fairly easy to re-sign. Also, bring a back a higher draft pick, if that's what PC asks for in return.
    Posted by nitemare-38

Not every move is made for the future.  Some moves are made for the present.  Stuart is a top 4 defenseman.  You don't trade a top 4 defenseman because a rookie is playing well, or because two rookies are playing well. 

Also, I don't think it's about trading at all.  I think it is about who gets sent down or sent to the press box.  Depth on D is never a problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Kalman posted this on his Blog earlier...thought it might shed light on what PC is able to do at this point...  
    Posted by twentyfour

Thanks for that post... I didn't know about the cap implications. I agree McQuaid should be the one to go down and keep Stuart and Kampfer, but the more I have read, the more I expect Kampfer to be the one to go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

NAS- Stuart is not a 4 now, never has been, and never will be.  i agree with xenimus.  He will be traded.  If PC thought Stuart was a 4, he would've lock him up long term.  Instead he got a 1 year deal that will be attractive to a team looking for some grit on the back end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I don't think it's an issue of Kampfer vs Stuart.  PC should look at the play of all the defensemen and make a choice based on play.  Kampfer has earned a spot on this team.  His ability to rush with the puck is a highly coveted and much needed skill on the Bruins.  Stuart is a much better defenseman than McQuaid.  I would be very surprised if Stuey is moved once healthy.

I personally think McQuaid's popularity has more to do with his willingness to fight rather than his skills as a D man.  I'm not saying AM is terrible, but he is not as good as most people on these boards give him credit for.  Stuey is tough and his hands are much better than McQuaids(although not as good as most D).

An interesting point was made about cap implications.  If there is some worry about sending McQuaid down, i'd risk losing Paille over McQuaid and keep AM as the extra man on the roster(similar to how DP has been the extra guy most of this year).  Although not a cap expert, i think the worry is exposing these guys on waivers in order to send them down, rather than worried about being over the cap $$$.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Kampfer continues to make rookie mistakes on D, and his rushes have not produced anything except a worry for the forwards who must drop back to cover for him.  He thinks he can dazzle with slick deeks and zags but, guess what, this is the NHL not the AHL, and you can't beat NHL defensemen so easily. 

Hunwick had far more rushing vision, puck control, and skating skill....and look what it got him.  Traded.  For nothing.

Kampfer will go back to Providence when Stuart returns.  He will come back up when more injuries occur.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Well, I guess the B's stick with 7 d then & dish Paille.

BTW Mean Stuart was drafted to be a top 4 & I think he'll get there. He's a d-man who's had some injuries that slowed his develpement. He's only 26 & still has time. The guys strong as an ox & not all d-men have this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS- Stuart is not a 4 now, never has been, and never will be.  i agree with xenimus.  He will be traded.  If PC thought Stuart was a 4, he would've lock him up long term.  Instead he got a 1 year deal that will be attractive to a team looking for some grit on the back end.
    Posted by MeanE

Your statements on PC are pure speculation.

I think Stuart is a quality #4 defesenman.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Kampfer vs Stuart : Stuart will play a string of games (5-8) in my opinion then get traded. 
    Posted by xenimus

it would be a big mistake to trade stuart. you can only have so many rookies playing d. who do you call up after ference has his yearly groin pull.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

NAS- "Your statements on PC are pure speculation.  I think Stuart is a quality #4 defesenman."

Ditto for your statement.  His Average TOI does not equate to top 4 defenseman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

NAS- " Your statements on PC are pure speculation.   I think Stuart is a quality #4 defesenman." Ditto for your statement.  His Average TOI does not equate to top 4 defenseman.
    Posted by MeanE

I wouldn't call Stuart a top 4 guy myself.  I do believe he has improved confidence in our zone with the puck this year.  All season long I've been thinking there is nothing stopping him from following the Seidenberg development curve.  IMO if he becomes as consistent and competent as Seids with the puck in our zone he will be a solid No. 2 or 3.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I like Stuart's toughness and attitude, but as a former 1st rd pick, I think his overall game is somewhat lacking.  He gives you very little on the offensive end and is starting to look pretty injury prone. 

While McQuaid isn't as highly touted
    , every time I watch him play I don't really notice much of a drop-off, if any, from Stuart.  I think they need someone back there that can move the puck like Kampfer and really wouldn't be opposed to the team moving Stuart in a trade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Posted by MeanE

With all due respect, MeanE, if you think back to why he only got the 1 year deal, it was because PC had to lock up a ton of other guys at the same time.  There was absolutely no money left.  When he gave Stu the year, he said that it was a "bridge" to a longer deal.

I'm not sure why we're so concerned with trading someone when Stu comes back anyway...don't we WANT depth on the back end?  But if that's the debate then I say that while Kampfer might be good for the future, I'm not sure that he's played well enough to pull any of our top-6 guys out of the line-up - other than maybe McQuaid.  

As for Stuart being injury-prone?  It's not like he re-injures his groin or knee or whatever over and over again.  And I get the sense that, if you let him, he'd be more than happy to play through whatever happens to be broken.  He's played with a broken sternum and a badly fractured hand...he's a beast that plays hard and clearly does whatever he can to not be taken out of the lineup - he's not one of the dreaded passengers.  Personally, I say deal Wheeler or Ryder while their value is high and before they go back to under-performing again.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

You're clearly not paying attention, and not very well informed. Mark Stuart was drafted as exactly what he is, a rugged, stay at home, captain material, defensive defenseman. He's actually got a higher career NHL goal total as high as he did in college. And if you think someone who plays more than two straight NHL seasons without missing a single game is injury prone I don't know what league you think you're watching.

Stuart averages almost 17 minutes a game in TOI, McQuaid a bit over 12.

Even with the ten game difference in games played this season, Stuart is still only five minutes behind Ference in short handed time on ice.

Facts make a much better basis for opinion than pulling things from ones nether regions.

I like Stuart's toughness and attitude, but as a former 1st rd pick, I think his overall game is somewhat lacking.   He gives you very little on the offensive end and is starting to look pretty injury prone.  While McQuaid isn't as highly touted , every time I watch him play I don't really notice much of a drop-off, if any , from Stuart.  I think they need someone back there that can move the puck like Kampfer and really wouldn't be opposed to the team moving Stuart in a trade.
    Posted by siestafiesta

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO Stuart has never reached beyond the 5/6 pairing. He almost got there last year but then had the hand injury. Kamfer's speed and puck handling not only make Seidenberg stronger, but establishes the 3/4 pairing as a quality duo. Not being negative on Stuart, but how would you proceed with the current Bruins defense?? Boychuck plays with Chara, has a hard shot, but is not really smart in when to shoot or when to pass; Ference and McQuaid are fairly consistent so far this year, in fact Ference has made many of us nay-sayers shut our negative mouths, and McQuaid is too good to pass thru waivers. Therefore, the bruins should consider a trade of Stuart or Boychuck; or a trade of Paille and keep 7 defensemen. There is also the option of a bigger [ in quality} trade. IMO Kamfer stays.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I like Stuart's toughness and attitude, but as a former 1st rd pick, I think his overall game is somewhat lacking.   He gives you very little on the offensive end and is starting to look pretty injury prone.  While McQuaid isn't as highly touted , every time I watch him play I don't really notice much of a drop-off, if any , from Stuart.  I think they need someone back there that can move the puck like Kampfer and really wouldn't be opposed to the team moving Stuart in a trade.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Is Mark Stuart a Top 4 defenseman?

Former first round pick:  Irrelevant

Not much on the offensive side:  Irrelevant

Injury prone:  Irrelevant

Tell me more.

Sections
Shortcuts