1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Karlsson hurt

No further review by the NHL, per TSN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Absolute joke. The NHLPA should step in here. I bet Chris Neil has reviewed it and his decision will come April 22nd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, after calming down a whole bunch I have to agree with NAS.

For those that say it was intentional - simply put it may not have been.

For those that say it was absolutely unintentional - simply put it may have been.  You guys are overanalyzing it.  If it were 'intentional' the intent was to injure without anything specific in mind.  

In that fraction of a second Cooke might have that flash of anger as I'm sure every one of you has had and simply stomped his foot just at that instant.  If you overanalyze it and start going with an idea that he begain to design this in Dec of 2011 and was practicing it and saving it for yesterday, you're way off base.

For me *personally* everything depends on the next interview I see with him, the look on his face, his eyes and explanation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Absolute joke. The NHLPA should step in here. I bet Chris Neil has reviewed it and his decision will come April 22nd.

per my previous post I have to say the evidence is inconclusive.

however, this should absolutely be reviewed.  As I said with the Savard issue, you should not ignore a situation where there is a health hazard on the job site.  yes, it's a dangerous sport and you can get hurt in many ways, but to me if there is a situation where injury can clearly and obviously be avoided, it should be looked at - don't take that too far and start yakking about taking hitting, fighting and pucks to the mouth out of the game.  What I'm saying is there is a tendon protector built into the skate for a reason, there are shin pads for a reason.  And there are rules for a reason.

It should be reviewed.  Phaneuf was cut last year in the calf, I believe it has happened to other players as well.  Look at the film(s) and decide if a new piece of equipment is needed, or a new rule to make this less likely, or if it's just one of those things like a deflected puck to an unprotected body part that's just unfortunate, but impractical to do anything about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Just to clarify, I think it was a deliberate attempt to injure.  Achilles Tendon being sliced unfortunate.  As for sympathy for Cooke, nope, I am biased.  He should not be playing hockey.  

In response to seobrien's comment:

Deliberately trying to slice a guy's Achilles? I have a hard time believing that, even if it is slimebag Cooke. I suppose it's possible, but, in my eyes, unlikely. Yeah, his feet should be down, but still...looks like an unfortunate circumstance to me. Only Cooke truly knows. His rep is bad enough, I can't imagine he wants or needs this hanging over his head, especially since he has been pretty much on the straight and narrow for a year now. Again, who knows?

I just feel bad for Karlsson, kid is a great skater, this could really diminish his career. Sens fans must be besides themselves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Just to clarify, I think it was a deliberate attempt to injure.  Achilles Tendon being sliced unfortunate.  As for sympathy for Cooke, nope, I am biased.  He should not be playing hockey.  

So Isla, what your saying is in your mind Cooke was deliberately trying to injure Karlsson by riding him into the boards but did not try to cut him with his skate ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Lifted his leg with a distinct downward kicking motion. Thats what I saw. Did he mean to do it? Only that idiot knows for sure, but he has ended one career and who knows what he's done to this one..He's certainly altered it in a negative way..Either Brendan Shanahan takes him out of the league or Chris Neil does it April 22nd..Only two options I see here. I hope the NHL does the right thing.

I'm hoping for the 2nd option Kelv. I see attorneys getting involved for both the NHL and the NHLPA, so Shanahan will have no choice to utter "it's inconclusive". Too bad Hatcher isn't still around, I like how he handled big mouths...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CThbqIXS8xM

See you are not left wondering if the two player were in motion. I want a harsher justice for Cooke, clearly Hatcher could have done more but didn't want kill JR. If Matt were hit by a car and mangled today I wouldn't care at all. Descpicable human being is what Cooke!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Karlsson ( insert Savard), kid is a great skater ( insert Savard as a great playmaker), this could really diminish his career. Sens fans must be besides themselves.

^I know how that feels^. With Shero and Mario behind him, Shanahan will say "that there is no proof that Cooke meant this". It will be said with a smile and Cooke will be out trying to end more NHL hockey careers as soon as the Pens take the ice again.

Apples and oranges, Dog. I mean could it be possible? I suppose, but no one in any forum thinks the Savard hit was anything less than a dirty play. I don't see how anyone  can say with any reasonable certainty that this was an intentional act and he was out there waiting for a split second to purposely slice someone's achilles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Lifted his leg with a distinct downward kicking motion. Thats what I saw. Did he mean to do it? Only that idiot knows for sure, but he has ended one career and who knows what he's done to this one..He's certainly altered it in a negative way.. Either Brendan Shanahan takes him out of the league or Chris Neil does it April 22nd..Only two options I see here. I hope the NHL does the right thing.

I'm hoping for the 2nd option Kelv. I see attorneys getting involved for both the NHL and the NHLPA, so Shanahan will have no choice to utter "it's inconclusive". Too bad Hatcher isn't still around, I like how he handled big mouths...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CThbqIXS8xM

See you are not left wondering if the two player were in motion. I want a harsher justice for Cooke, clearly Hatcher could have done more but didn't want kill JR. If Matt were hit by a car and mangled today I wouldn't care at all. Descpicable human being is what Cooke!

I confuse easy.  Are you indicating what hatcher did was ok?  Elbows up and leaves feet.  You cry for heads to roll in one instance then say hatcher could have killed him.  Looked like a kickoff in football run.  

Before you jump down my throat.  What were your thoughts on chara.  It was a much debated topic across the hockey world.  I said it was a hockey play, max played chicken with a semi truck and a walL.   He lost.  Do you believe he intended to cause that much injury on max?   Im not trying to compare and i already stated my opinion on this.  Im stating this before fletch and i argue for a day.  I think both were unfortunate hockey plays.  

I know your view on Cooke.  I respect your opinion and disagree that a human could intentional want to severe another human beings achilles.   i know times have changed from the past but man some of the greats would be suspended for life in this new brand of hockey.  Messier and Gordie Howe for starters.  Their elbows would make cooke look like a school yard nerd.  

Cheers san.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

IKarlsson ( insert Savard), kid is a great skater ( insert Savard as a great playmaker), this could really diminish his career. Sens fans must be besides themselves.

^I know how that feels^. With Shero and Mario behind him, Shanahan will say "that there is no proof that Cooke meant this". It will be said with a smile and Cooke will be out trying to end more NHL hockey careers as soon as the Pens take the ice again.

Apples and oranges, Dog. I mean could it be possible? I suppose, but no one in any forum thinks the Savard hit was anything less than a dirty play. I don't see how anyone  can say with any reasonable certainty that this was an intentional act and he was out there waiting for a split second to purposely slice someone's achilles.

I can see your reasoning SE and the NHL will use that. But were writing about a man where we have evidence of his nature...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_NBz353Go

Time after time after time. First it was knees then Cooke switched to the head and now he has switched again. Listen to Cherry make sense at the end of all the evidence on video.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

When incidents like this happen it always has to be black or white, only a few here went "shades of grey "  (NAS , DEZ, Fletch).

Like I posted last night on another thread, let's call it Karma for Cooke.  It's for all the bad he's done and gotten away with . 

He should get his one day. The Evander Kane beating was not enough nor will be any staged fight (aka Torres-Mayers) .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

When incidents like this happen it always has to be black or white, only a few here too "shades of grey "  (NAS , DEZ, Fletch).

Like I posted last night on another thread, let's call it Karma for Cooke.  It's for all the bad he's done and gotten away with . 

He should get his one day. The Evander Kane beating was not enough nor will be any staged fight (aka Torres-Mayers) .

I converted,

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

Ha no Norris for this talented winger I mean dman. A dman that doesn't play the pk is not elite is a complete joke watch him in his own zone is like watching corvo working the zone a second away from a goal. 

First off, how can a defenseman not play the PK and have a short-handed goal?  He's a plus 6 and is one the most exciting players to watch in the game.

Your the biggest idiot on here, you know nothing about hockey and everyone here would rather you just leave.

He doesn't consistently play on the pk so you must be the biggest idiot on the board then buddy. Research before posting he plays about 1/4 of pk time while elite dmen like chara play more like 50% of pk time. I'd rather you just leave but dreams don't always come true do they. There is about 10 dmen I would take over karlsson bcs he is bad in his own zone who cares if he scores on the pp.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ha no Norris for this talented winger I mean dman. A dman that doesn't play the pk is not elite is a complete joke watch him in his own zone is like watching corvo working the zone a second away from a goal. 

First off, how can a defenseman not play the PK and have a short-handed goal?  He's a plus 6 and is one the most exciting players to watch in the game.

Your the biggest idiot on here, you know nothing about hockey and everyone here would rather you just leave.

He doesn't consistently play on the pk so you must be the biggest idiot on the board then buddy. Research before posting he plays about 1/4 of pk time while elite dmen like chara play more like 50% of pk time. I'd rather you just leave but dreams don't always come true do they. There is about 10 dmen I would take over karlsson bcs he is bad in his own zone who cares if he scores on the pp.

But his 30 minutes a night mean nothing.   The fact he and kane are in a race for mvp of the league.  karlsson is a young superstar.  To laugh about him going down....well.  Anyway.  

He isnt bad in his zone by the way.  He plays to his strengths.   which is hockey IQ, passing and his gift of skating.  Do you ever think for a second maybe his coach doesnt want him on the pk blocking shots and fighting with big hairy apes in front of the net.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And for the record kelv is one of the most respected and best posters on here.  I am sure there are many regulars feel the same way that will validate this statement.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I like the Matt Cooke-Willie Horton comparison.  

I'm not sure if that was intentional though.  With 95% of players I would say not.  But its real hard for me to give that guy the benefit of the doubt.

It would be funny if he faced harsh justice for something minor now, as a karmic backlash for getting away with the Sarvard hit.  You know, OJ style.

I used that exact example when discussing this with my Dad today. I said the league should punish Cooke "OJ style". Totally overpunish for an infraction only because they forgot to punish him earlier.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

43 career goals and 10 of them on the power play...Less than 25% of his goals come on the power play. If you would take 10 defenseman over Erik Karlsson, well, then that just confirms what we know about you. Who are the 10? How many young defenseman come in and play on the penalty kill their first couple of years? How many come in and put up the numbers he does? How many, and i won't limit this to just defenseman, how many players have his skating ability?

Leads the league in shots on net and is 5th....5th in time on ice..Plays more than Zdeno Chara..I realize I'm telling you stuff you don't know..i just wonder will it keep you from spewing uneducated statements.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

FWIW, Aaron Ward had an interesting take 2 minutes in:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/864713/clip/0#pipe42/latest

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

I don't think so, they were both going after the puck against the boards,Cooke is following Karlsson in with the intention of pinning him to the boards.

Yeah, I guess so. I also heard that TSN or NHL.com pointed out that many players go to the boards with their skates up, I just never see it (or pay attention to it). Freak accident for sure, I just thought he was setting him up for a slew foot when I saw it happen, but the pin him against the boards makes sense to me since I guess people bring their skate off the ice more often.

If it was Bergeron that did it, there'd be no doubt that it was accidental. It being the rat Cooke brings doubt into the equation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

They should have suspended him 5 games and told him privately "this one is for Savard".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

Just gonna chime in to say everything you've said in this thread is complete nonsense.  You're thinking of Mike Green, not Karlsson.  Not trying to be mean, but you're just dead wrong here. Karlsson is used in all situations and is a well rounded - although particularly gifted offensively - defensmen.  

List the 10 D-men you'd take over him.

And then delete that list because it looks so stupid when you read it that you don't want to waste our time with it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It would be funny if he faced harsh justice for something minor now, as a karmic backlash for getting away with the Sarvard hit.  You know, OJ style.

I used that exact example when discussing this with my Dad today. I said the league should punish Cooke "OJ style". Totally overpunish for an infraction only because they forgot to punish him earlier.

[/QUOTE]

Great minds dez, great minds...

I'd love it if it worked out that way.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Great minds dez, great minds...

I'd love it if it worked out that way.

[/QUOTE]

"O.J Style"....Absolute brilliant idea.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I understand how people say there was no intent or it's tough to say there was...I  get it, and respect the opinion..But because it's Matt Cooke I cannot give him the benefit of the doubt. But seriously folks, and i'm asking, how many of you have seen, or gone into the boards with someone, trying to gain position and had your leg up that high?..I've watched alot and played alot..Can't remember soemone inititiating contact or trying to gain position by having their leg as high as my dog does when he has nothing but ill intentions for one of my shrubs.

Sections
Shortcuts