Karlsson hurt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Karlsson hurt

Yeah, last year's Karlsson was that mix of good and bad - exceptionally good offensively, generally decent but occasionally dominated in the defensive zone.  I didn't like him winning the Norris just because he had gaudy point totals.  I thought both Chara and Weber had more impact on the game when they were on the ice.

But you haven't seen Karlsson much this year if you still think he's a one-dimensional player.  The only reasons he doesn't play more on the PK are his overall ice time (over 27 min./game) and the fact that the Sens have some capable PK D who can take that role on for him.  Karlsson now uses his skating ability much more effectively defending players in open ice, and his quickness compensates for the fact he doesn't clear guys out down low.  He just keeps the puck from getting to them.  He has been much more impactful this year - more than Chara who is, it seems, having a slow start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I understand how people say there was no intent or it's tough to say there was...I  get it, and respect the opinion..But because it's Matt Cooke I cannot give him the benefit of the doubt. But seriously folks, and i'm asking, how many of you have seen, or gone into the boards with someone, trying to gain position and had your leg up that high?..I've watched alot and played alot..Can't remember soemone inititiating contact or trying to gain position by having their leg as high as my dog does when he has nothing but ill intentions for one of my shrubs.

Only time it's happened to me kel is when someone actually WAS trying to kick me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

When will the league do something about Matt Cooke? Okay, it's hard to judge intent... but his history speaks for itself. The Pens announcers are ridiculous saying, "you can't just assume he was trying to injure because of his past play, he's been a changed man..." Bullspit.

I HATE COOKE AS MUCH AS ANYONE BUT I DONT THINK THAT WAS INTENTIONAL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE POSTER ON BOTH THE POINT AND THE EMPHASIS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

It scares me when you guys yell so much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

He has gotten better than last year in his own zone but he is far from an elite dmen he is not a two way dman. his numbers are inflated from the pp he has scored 30% of all his career pts on the pp. So for the clowns on this board to ask me the basis of my argument is laughable bcs none of them even look at his numbers. Look game to game at how much pk time he logs most of his time is all on the pp. He is no chara or weber or even sutter these guys play balanced two way games. He is bad in his zone comparing him to corvo was done as a joke he isn't that bad but he is far from an elite dman. He is in his fourth nhl season if he hasn't developed his two way game by now then it is either bad coaching or the player himself you tell me. After four years if the coach still doesn't see his best dmen as capable on the pk then I don't see how he can be considered elite. He maybe fun to watch but is not what the norris trophy is suppose to represent, which is the best dman not the one who scores the most. And the Ha was not laughing at his injury it was for the media already labeling him the Norris winner ten games into the season when he shouldn't have even won it last season. His plus 6 has more to do with the guy playing in net then his defensive play I watch the games maybe you should too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

That's good to hear. It would seem most other things are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

chara, sutter, weber, Brian Campbell, Keith yandle, del zotto, hedman, letang, and then I would put karlsson on the same level with pietrangelo, so I lied he is around the 9th or 8th best dmen sorry. I like two way dmen sue me the position has defense in it i figured the guy should at least be good at it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sutter's a centre - if you meant Suter, then you're also wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to heyoo's comment:

chara, sutter, weber, Brian Campbell, Keith yandle, del zotto, hedman, letang, and then I would put karlsson on the same level with pietrangelo, so I lied he is around the 9th or 8th best dmen sorry. I like two way dmen sue me the position has defense in it i figured the guy should at least be good at it. 

Dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He has gotten better than last year in his own zone but he is far from an elite dmen he is not a two way dman. his numbers are inflated from the pp he has scored 30% of all his career pts on the pp. So for the clowns on this board to ask me the basis of my argument is laughable bcs none of them even look at his numbers. Look game to game at how much pk time he logs most of his time is all on the pp. He is no chara or weber or even sutter these guys play balanced two way games. He is bad in his zone comparing him to corvo was done as a joke he isn't that bad but he is far from an elite dman. He is in his fourth nhl season if he hasn't developed his two way game by now then it is either bad coaching or the player himself you tell me. After four years if the coach still doesn't see his best dmen as capable on the pk then I don't see how he can be considered elite. He maybe fun to watch but is not what the norris trophy is suppose to represent, which is the best dman not the one who scores the most. And the Ha was not laughing at his injury it was for the media already labeling him the Norris winner ten games into the season when he shouldn't have even won it last season. His plus 6 has more to do with the guy playing in net then his defensive play I watch the games maybe you should too.

So because 30% of his points come from the power play that makes him a bad defenseman??? because he is real good on the power play there is no way he can be a good defenseman, right? Would you care to guess what percentage of Lidstroms career points came from the PP? How about Bourque? Points on the power play do not tell how good a defenseman is, what it does tell you is how good they are on the power play..Your in way over your head here..Oh wait, was the Karlsson power play statement a joke too like the Corvo comparison?

What media labeled him the Norris Trophy winner after 10 games? Do you have a link?

I'd say 100% of your posts are crappy. That makes you a very bad poster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Why don't you look up their career pts and enlighten us with facts not assumptions what % of their pts were scored on the pp. and then tell me how great karlsson is on d that you compared him to bourque and lidstrom who are both two way dmen which karlsson is not. He cant even get reg time on an average teams pk but he is a two way dman. Yawn takes a bad poster to know one. Give me facts not assumptions and if you think karlsson is better than suter then I can't help you pal. You got me I spelled his name wrong sorry. We don't agree to me he isn't a two way dman not gonna change my mind until he performs constantly defensively. Teams roll out usually 4 dmen during the length of a pk and if he doesn't get close to 50% of pk time then his coach doesn't think he is good defensively. He didn't have to say it bcs he does with his time on the pk unit. The coach sticks him on the pp bcs that is what he is good at, he is not a two way dman so he isn't counted on when it is most needed which is on the pk. It's fine he can't shut down teams best player that's why I do not think he is elite. Will he be elite someday maybe but today he is not that guy. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Why don't you look up their career pts and enlighten us with facts not assumptions what % of their pts were scored on the pp. and then tell me how great karlsson is on d that you compared him to bourque and lidstrom who are both two way dmen which karlsson is not. He cant even get reg time on an average teams pk but he is a two way dman. Yawn takes a bad poster to know one. Give me facts not assumptions and if you think karlsson is better than suter then I can't help you pal. You got me I spelled his name wrong sorry. We don't agree to me he isn't a two way dman not gonna change my mind until he performs constantly defensively. Teams roll out usually 4 dmen during the length of a pk and if he doesn't get close to 50% of pk time then his coach doesn't think he is good defensively. He didn't have to say it bcs he does with his time on the pk unit. The coach sticks him on the pp bcs that is what he is good at, he is not a two way dman so he isn't counted on when it is most needed which is on the pk. It's fine he can't shut down teams best player that's why I do not think he is elite. Will he be elite someday maybe but today he is not that guy. 

You're making it worse.  Put away the stats (that aren't working in your favor anyhow), and watch him play.

If you think Del Zotto, Campbell, and Hedman are better than Karlsson, that tells me you haven't watched very much of any of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

bruins8, you are an odd one. First Kessel, now this. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Facts (not assumptions)

Lidstrom 1142 Career points 590 of them on the PP...oh my, thats a high percentage.

Bourque 1579 Career points 760 of them on the PP...what percentage is that?

Never compared Karlsson to Bourque and Lidstrom. I used them as examples to show you that a defensemans power play points does not mean he is one dimensional..You'll catch on, or not..

You suggest he cannot shut down a teams best player. Now, I'm not saying he is Zdeno Chara like is his own end, but he has logged the 5th most ice time in the NHL..Is that all on the power play and against 3rd and 4th lines?

I never mentioned Ryan Suter, but since you did, I'll take Erik Karlsson over Ryan Suter any day of the week. Hows Ryan Suter doing these days without Shea Weber? He's a minus-6 with 43 less shots on net than Karlsson...Hey, for that matter, how is Shea Weber doing without Ryan Suter? I'll tell you..1 assist so far this season with 35 less shots on goal than Karlsson..Those are great numbers if your Al Pederson...Now, can I get the list of 10 defenseman you'd take over Karlsson?

Karlsson, like most young defenseman will only get better in his own zone..takes time.in fact, he's already started that climb...Chara was a minus -27 in his 3rd season..

Again, can I get that list?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Greasy play gone bad.

No reason to give Cooke the benefit of the doubt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In my view, Cooke came in hard on Karlsson.  Correctly, but then once he made contact, he drove is skate blade on top of Karlsson's skate.  He did not intend to cut the tendon but the intent to drive the skate downwards imo was an attempt to injure.  I ask you, how many times does this same type of hit happen in a NHL game?  Most players do not drive their skate downward as Cooke did!  The same can be said for the hit on Savard, blind side, and with the intent to injure.  I am sure Cooke did not mean to end Savard's career.  The net effect though is he did.  Now a young talented player is out because of his actions and yes intent to injure.  

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to islamorada's comment:

Just to clarify, I think it was a deliberate attempt to injure.  Achilles Tendon being sliced unfortunate.  As for sympathy for Cooke, nope, I am biased.  He should not be playing hockey.  

In response to seobrien's comment:

So Isla, what your saying is in your mind Cooke was deliberately trying to injure Karlsson by riding him into the boards but did not try to cut him with his skate ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Hate Cooke as much or more than anyone.

This is a hockey play gone bad, nothing else, would that it were but it isn't.  Sorry, but Cooke blinders are making it out to be what it is not.

15 years in NHL coming into his 35th year he has made $13M to be the biggest dewbag in the NHL, but this was a hockey play gone bad.

It is just bringing it closer to Cooke getting what he deserves, but will probably never happen.  He will retire with his name on the cup and there is shiite that can be done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

As long as Matt Cooke is involved there will always be that smell of suspicion surrounding him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just in case it isn't clear yet - as a Norris Trophy Winner, Karlsson was 78 points, 28 on the PP, for 35.9% of his points.  Here's how the rest of that list of "better" players stack up:

Chara   - 52 points, 18 on the PP, 34.6%

Suter- 46 points, 25 on the PP, 54.3%

Weber  - 49 points, 22 on the PP, 44.8%

Campbell - 53 points, 31 on the PP, 58.5%

Yandle - 43 points, 11 on the PP, 25.6%

Del Zotto - 41 points, 14 on the PP, 34.1%

Hedman - 23 points, 4 on the PP, 17%

Letang - 42 points, 15 on the PP, 35.7%

So only Yandle and Hedman were less dependent on the PP to score for points, and Campbell, Suter and Weber got much higher percentages of their points on the PP. 

Plus, again, Karlsson is not the defensive gong show he could be last year.  He's much smarter about the way he uses his skating to leverage guys out of scoring areas, move guys off the puck, and dash into passing lanes to make steals.  Arguing this point is a fail.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Facts (not assumptions)

Lidstrom 1142 Career points 590 of them on the PP...oh my, thats a high percentage.

Bourque 1579 Career points 760 of them on the PP...what percentage is that?

Never compared Karlsson to Bourque and Lidstrom. I used them as examples to show you that a defensemans power play points does not mean he is one dimensional..You'll catch on, or not..

You suggest he cannot shut down a teams best player. Now, I'm not saying he is Zdeno Chara like is his own end, but he has logged the 5th most ice time in the NHL..Is that all on the power play and against 3rd and 4th lines?

I never mentioned Ryan Suter, but since you did, I'll take Erik Karlsson over Ryan Suter any day of the week. Hows Ryan Suter doing these days without Shea Weber? He's a minus-6 with 43 less shots on net than Karlsson...Hey, for that matter, how is Shea Weber doing without Ryan Suter? I'll tell you..1 assist so far this season with 35 less shots on goal than Karlsson..Those are great numbers if your Al Pederson...Now, can I get the list of 10 defenseman you'd take over Karlsson?

Karlsson, like most young defenseman will only get better in his own zone..takes time.in fact, he's already started that climb...Chara was a minus -27 in his 3rd season..

Again, can I get that list?

How much pk time did bourque and lidstrom log? We all can make stats that favor our points but when it comes down to it i want an actual dman that can play two way hockey and sorry but karlsson cannot do that yet. He is the third highest dmen on Ottawa with pk time and he is suppose to be their premier dman? I'm not saying the kid isn't talented he could be an all timer if he develops the right way. But he is not there yet, a elite dman is one that you want on the ice when your up 1 and there is a couple minutes left if he can't log pk minutes then he is not a franchise dman. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Just in case it isn't clear yet - as a Norris Trophy Winner, Karlsson was 78 points, 28 on the PP, for 35.9% of his points.  Here's how the rest of that list of "better" players stack up:

Chara   - 52 points, 18 on the PP, 34.6%

Suter- 46 points, 25 on the PP, 54.3%

Weber  - 49 points, 22 on the PP, 44.8%

Campbell - 53 points, 31 on the PP, 58.5%

Yandle - 43 points, 11 on the PP, 25.6%

Del Zotto - 41 points, 14 on the PP, 34.1%

Hedman - 23 points, 4 on the PP, 17%

Letang - 42 points, 15 on the PP, 35.7%

So only Yandle and Hedman were less dependent on the PP to score for points, and Campbell, Suter and Weber got much higher percentages of their points on the PP. 

Plus, again, Karlsson is not the defensive gong show he could be last year.  He's much smarter about the way he uses his skating to leverage guys out of scoring areas, move guys off the puck, and dash into passing lanes to make steals.  Arguing this point is a fail.

Your right pp pts has little to do with the Norris, all I was trying to point out is that he does not log  pk minutes and depends on the pp to up his pts and make a case for the Norris. He is a talented player I never said he was not. I just feel as if his defensive game is not developed and until he develops a two way game I prefer other Dmen over him. The difference between him and all the players above is he does not log the minutes they do on the pk and against the top lines. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

bruins8, you are an odd one. First Kessel, now this. 

I do not know who bruins8 is but I am wondering how toronto is doing since I said they had loads of  talent last offseaon and you tried  to shoot me down saying they were rubbish. Where do they sit again in the standings? How is kadri playing remember you saying the kid was a joke. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I do not know who bruins8 is but I am wondering how toronto is doing since I said they had loads of  talent last offseaon and you tried  to shoot me down saying they were rubbish. Where do they sit again in the standings? How is kadri playing remember you saying the kid was a joke. 

You are mixed up as usual. I never said any of these things and you are as foolish as Stanley is to think you can deceive posters just by changing your screen name. Your posts are carbon copies of his.

You are bruins8. 

I watched Kadri play ( no, not on your free secret OHL web site ) on the same line with Jared Knight as a junior and thought he was outstanding.  And my thoughts haven't changed. He has NHL abilities and I have always liked him.

As far as saying the Leafs were going to be rubbish ? Another false comment. Never said that either.

P.S. Your thoughts on hockey still make you an odd one in my mind.