KDP - small centers remark

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Re: KDP - small centers remark

I'm confused by what you are asking, a bigger winger who could handle mid ice checks? Lucic and Horton aren't big enough?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

As some of you stated, all three injuries are different and not based on size. Bergeron is not a small center, Kreji 's hit should have been an interference penalty, but, the referee was caught up in the injury, and the concussion came from either the dasher or the ice even though Oshe led with his shoulder pad to the face. KPD seems a little harsh in his perspective. Replacement should be interesting as Hamill has been very effective in setting up goals in the last few Providence victories.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Just establishing historical numbers.  Yzerman and Sakic both played well into the last decade, so I'd suggest at least four of the names I mentioned are particulary relevant.  You can add Tavares, Brad Richards, Mike Richards, Paul Stastny, Derek Roy, Pavel Datsyuk, Mikko Koivu...and that's just naming guys in the top 10+ for scoring centres.  Toews and Sedin are only slightly bigger.  The top scoring centres who are genuinely big right now are Thornton, Getzlaf, and Malkin when he gets back on form.  Lecavalier if he ever gets back on form.  Dubinsky and Backstrom are bigger but not giant.

True enough that Krejci has a long injury history for a guy his age - hip, wrist, concussion....  But that's the game.  Jason Allison was a big enough guy but it didn't help his wrists.  And Huscroft (with respect) suggests the Bruins solve their problem by acquiring Jochen Hecht.  Know how big he is? Same height as Bergeron, one pound heavier.

My point is only that this isn't about size so getting bigger isn't the answer.  Maybe most importantly, getting bigger and less skillful is not the answer.  That would be the equation - it would have to be because there are very very few players as skilled as Krejci, Bergeron, and Savard who go 6'3"+ and 215+.  Most of them - maybe all of them - make $6M+.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: KDP - small centers remark:
    In Response to Re: KDP - small centers remark : Thanks Duinne for the correction (hahaha poor Kevin), you seem to do that for me on ocassion. I was looking for intelligent answers got some.  But I do wonder on the subject of the injuries to Krejci, possibly he needs to play more passive for instance did he need to make a check on TJ?  I like his aggressiveness but the injuries spell a change in play.  Randomly, I think a bigger centerman on the second, third, or even on the fourth line would be important against those players mentioned above in my response to BB. I think the team can mature in the next few months while the injured players recovered.  
    Posted by islamorada

I don't think Krejci was aiming for a check on Oshie; I watched it again today on the replay, and it appears they were both going for the puck at the same time and just ran into each other. Oshie had perhaps a second more than Krejci did to brace himself and lower his shoulder, and Krejci ended up getting the worst of it. Even so, as I've noted before, I doubt Krejci would have been hurt if the hit had happened in open ice - his head slamming into the dasher is undoubtedly what caused the concussion. I saw it happen in person and it was a horrifying moment.

And as I said, I have to disagree about the Bruins centers - I don't think size matters. Martin Hanzal is a lot bigger than Patrice Bergeron, but I'll take Bergeron in a heartbeat in the toughness department. And size doesn't protect you against freak injuries and/or cheap shots.

And Dupont loves to hear himself talk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Krejci didn't protect himself going into that battle for the puck.  Gotta know it's Oshie when TJ's out there trying to establish his physical presence by thumping everything he can.  And most players are taken off guard in that situation because Oshie went for the hit, not the puck, when neither player had it.  That's borderline interference - and it should be interference precisely because the guy taking the hit never touches the puck. As for your questions, Isla, Krejci plays with the two biggest wingers the Bruins have.  That's not the answer.
    Posted by Bookboy007

With respect, bookboy, I watched the game on NESN and all of the replays - Oshie's hit was perfectly timed and I don't think it was interference as both players went for the loose puck and arrived at the same time.  I agree with you that Krejci didn't protect himself well enough but if he did, then he wouldn't have been in position to win the puck.  Catch-22 - good for Krejci, showing a toughness and a commitment to take the hit to get the puck, and fortunate for Krejci (and us) that he's forecast to be back in 7-10 days (fingers crossed).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Meh.  Sakic, Yzerman, Lafontaine, Trottier, Gilmour, Messier - most of these guys were in the same size bracket - within an inch or two and give or take a max of 10 lbs.   Tocchet was 5'11" and 214.  Bourque was 5'11" 225.  Stamkos is 6'1" and 196.  Crysby is 5'11" and 200. On the other hand, Lindros was 6'4" and 230.  Brother Brett was 6'4" and 215.  Both were sayonaraed by concussions. It's a fallacy that the Bruins have "small" centres, and the top three centres have suffered concussions, therefore they suffered concussions because they're small.  Taking nothing away from the severity of the Jones hit, Bergeron has to know he's putting himself in an awful position on that hit.  Savard got blindsided with a cheap shot on the follow through of a shot.  Krejci didn't protect himself going into that battle for the puck.  Gotta know it's Oshie when TJ's out there trying to establish his physical presence by thumping everything he can.  And most players are taken off guard in that situation because Oshie went for the hit, not the puck, when neither player had it.  That's borderline interference - and it should be interference precisely because the guy taking the hit never touches the puck. As for your questions, Isla, Krejci plays with the two biggest wingers the Bruins have.  That's not the answer.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Noticed most of the centers you mentioned were 80s and 90s players.  The average size of players in all positions are significantly changed since those years.  Ahhh, not that I disagree with your analysis just the fact Krejci has been hurt several times is troubling.  Both Bergeron and Savard are one concussion away from ending a career.  Me thinks one has to look at the size of the player in that in that case.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok Try Spezza, Kopitar, Thornton, Getslaf, Staal, Kesler, Carter, Malkin for some bigger centers.  Others that you mentioned are heavier (Toews) than even Bergeron.  Your argument is solid, but I only counter by saying the number of small centers on the Bs has to be a concern.  KDP is correct imo.  BTW I really like Krejci as a player even better than Savard.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Big guys usually have more injury problems than smaller players. Perhaps the NHL should actually do something about the concussion problem instead of constantly "looking into it" for years. NFL made a new rule this year and also are developing better helmets. There have always been small players but what they are learning about concussions now is frightening, like the recent study on those two junior teams. Does the NHL ever do anything right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

It's KPD, not KDP, just to be accurate. And I don't agree at all. Hockey players get injured frequently, irrelevant to size. David Booth suffered a similar injury to Savard, and I don't see anyone complaining that Booth is small and vulnerable. If size mattered, shouldn't Patrick Kane be hurt all the time?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Meh.  Sakic, Yzerman, Lafontaine, Trottier, Gilmour, Messier - most of these guys were in the same size bracket - within an inch or two and give or take a max of 10 lbs.   Tocchet was 5'11" and 214.  Bourque was 5'11" 225.  Stamkos is 6'1" and 196.  Crysby is 5'11" and 200.

On the other hand, Lindros was 6'4" and 230.  Brother Brett was 6'4" and 215.  Both were sayonaraed by concussions.

It's a fallacy that the Bruins have "small" centres, and the top three centres have suffered concussions, therefore they suffered concussions because they're small.  Taking nothing away from the severity of the Jones hit, Bergeron has to know he's putting himself in an awful position on that hit.  Savard got blindsided with a cheap shot on the follow through of a shot.  Krejci didn't protect himself going into that battle for the puck.  Gotta know it's Oshie when TJ's out there trying to establish his physical presence by thumping everything he can.  And most players are taken off guard in that situation because Oshie went for the hit, not the puck, when neither player had it.  That's borderline interference - and it should be interference precisely because the guy taking the hit never touches the puck.

As for your questions, Isla, Krejci plays with the two biggest wingers the Bruins have.  That's not the answer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I'm confused by what you are asking, a bigger winger who could handle mid ice checks? Lucic and Horton aren't big enough?
    Posted by matttt87

A center is a forward.  Two centers on the Bs are smaller.  Mid ice hits are more frequent for centers.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

KDP - small centers remark

Watching KDP this morning being interviewed by the bombastic Felger, I caught a remark by KDP on the Krejci injury.  He said the Bs have small centers who are skilled and talented by vulnerable to injury.  Looking at the Bs the last two years I would say the evidence is there to prove his assumption correct.  Krejci has been injured quite often, Savard too albeit on a cheap shot, but the fact remains the Bs could use a bigger center who could handle mid ice checks. Would enjoy opinions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to KDP - small centers remark:
    Watching KDP this morning being interviewed by the bombastic Felger, I caught a remark by KDP on the Krejci injury.  He said the Bs have small centers who are skilled and talented by vulnerable to injury.  Looking at the Bs the last two years I would say the evidence is there to prove his assumption correct.  Krejci has been injured quite often, Savard too albeit on a cheap shot, but the fact remains the Bs could use a bigger winger who could handle mid ice checks. Would enjoy opinions.
    Posted by islamorada

Time to make a trade.  Wheeler, Hunwick, and Hamill to Buffalo for Jochen Hecht (bigger stronger centerman) and a 3rd or 4th round pick.  Bring up Bartkowski.  Put Seguin on the wing as soon Krecji returns (7-10 days?).

Lucic Seguin Horton
    Caron Bergeron Recchi
    Paille Hecht Ryder
    Marchand Campbell Thornton (McGrattan)

Chara Bartkowski
    Seidenberg Ference
    Stuart McQuaid

When Krejci returns.

Lucic Krejci Horton
    Caron Bergeron Recchi
    Seguin Hecht Ryder 
    Marchand Campbell Thornton (McGrattan)

When Boychuk returns.

Chara Boychuk
    Seidenberg Bartkowski
    Stuart Ference (McQuaid)

Just my thoughts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

It's KPD, not KDP, just to be accurate. And I don't agree at all. Hockey players get injured frequently, irrelevant to size. David Booth suffered a similar injury to Savard, and I don't see anyone complaining that Booth is small and vulnerable. If size mattered, shouldn't Patrick Kane be hurt all the time?  
    Posted by duinne

Thanks Duinne for the correction (hahaha poor Kevin), you seem to do that for me on ocassion. I was looking for intelligent answers got some.  But I do wonder on the subject of the injuries to Krejci, possibly he needs to play more passive for instance did he need to make a check on TJ?  I like his aggressiveness but the injuries spell a change in play.  Randomly, I think a bigger centerman on the second, third, or even on the fourth line would be important against those players mentioned above in my response to BB. I think the team can mature in the next few months while the injured players recovered.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good perspective duinne. You cannot play hockey, as these guys do, and not be in excellent physical shape. Kreji is slim, wiry, and strong or he could not maintain control of the puck as he does. Bergie is bigger and just as solid, both injuries came from ramming into the dasher, which is immovable. Bigger does not translate to better, it does come into being when wings are 6' 4/5" and defensemen are 5' 10/11 like Hunwick and Ference vs. the CAPs. Seguin is not smal, he is only 18 and growing; Wheeler has both size and speed, but he has not become a proven finisher in the NHL. The experiment at center, which requires smarts and positioning will be interesting to behold. Recchi,Thornton,Paille,Hunwick,Ference are on the small side on the Bruins, the rest are all as big as most NHl players. I enjoy KPD, but he seems more interested in stories on Milt this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

In Response to Re: KDP - small centers remark : A center is a forward.  Two centers on the Bs are smaller.  Mid ice hits are more frequent for centers.  
    Posted by islamorada

I was confused because you didn't say center, you said winger. Also the hit on Krejci took place where a winger would generally be positioned, the hit on Savard was a cheap shot and could have happened to anyone no matter how large, and the hit on Bergeron was a boarding call that he was in a bad position for - once again a case in which size wouldn't have helped. I just don't see how size would have helped prevent any of those injuries aside from possibly Krejci's but was somewhat of an oddball case since it was OT and the injury seemed to be from the fall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: KDP - small centers remark : I was confused because you didn't say center, you said winger. Also the hit on Krejci took place where a winger would generally be positioned, the hit on Savard was a cheap shot and could have happened to anyone no matter how large, and the hit on Bergeron was a boarding call that he was in a bad position for - once again a case in which size wouldn't have helped. I just don't see how size would have helped prevent any of those injuries aside from possibly Krejci's but was somewhat of an oddball case since it was OT and the injury seemed to be from the fall.
    Posted by matttt87

Made the change... you are correct on my use of winger.  Still hold to the bigger center necessity.  

Duinne,  I watched the Krejci hit and I believe Krejci was actually trying to check TJ.  I would like to hear his opinion.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

In Response to Re: KDP - small centers remark : Made the change... you are correct on my use of winger.  Still hold to the bigger center necessity.   Duinne,  I watched the Krejci hit and I believe Krejci was actually trying to check TJ.  I would like to hear his opinion.  
    Posted by islamorada

I have to say I agree with you here, after watching it over and over to me it really looked like Krejci had his head up looking for it and TJ was looking down at the puck and then they just collided and Krejci got all of the bad. I also agree that the injury came from him slamming his head into the boards. This reminds me somewhat of when Ovechkin came flying in for a hit on Malkin and even though Malkin looked more defenseless he had the right stance and Ovechkin got crushed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwCq9gd4hGI

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Missed Kopitar, Staal and Spezza on my list - but neither of those last two is playing up to par of late, so I forgive myself. I thought about Kesler, but he's only an inch taller and 7lbs heavier than Bergeron. 

But that's not really your point.  I think what we're looking at here is a team-building thing.  Bergeron's the strongest and biggest of hte Bruin centres.  Savard's the shortest and has the best resume.  Krejci is the lightest but has the best up-side offensively.  Pretty hard to decide who to dish in order to make room for a bigger centre, even if you're thinking that bigger centre is a 40 point guy and not a top six forward.  Look at the names on your "bigger centres" list Isla and they all take home big cake.  Some are making more than Krejci and Savard combined.  So - every strategy has its risks and right now the Bruins have depth of skill at the C position, which is balanced by the need for depth because some of the players may be more vulnerable to injury.  Could get bigger, but you might not get the same scoreboard.

Last - you cannot play hockey passively and succeed.  Asking Krejci not to go full bore into a puck battle will be more detrimental over the long haul than losing him for a few games here and there.  Hopefully, as he gets older and more experienced, he'll protect himself better and suffer fewer injuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

If you want to blame anything in the Krejci hit how about taking a look at the football style  shoulder pads the players wear now.Oshie looks like a linebacker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teddytheo. Show Teddytheo's posts

KPD probably meant that the B's centers (Savard, Krejci, Bergeron) are on the soft physical side more than anything. They do seem to get their fair share of injuries.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

KPD probably meant that the B's centers (Savard, Krejci, Bergeron) are on the soft physical side more than anything. They do seem to get their fair share of injuries.
    Posted by Teddytheo

Bergeron? Soft? ROFLMAO.

As for Savard and Krejci, both of their concussions would have happened even if they were built like tanks. Being big and strong doesn't protect your brain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

It's KPD, not KDP Posted by duinne

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP ~ Adrian Cronauer

PS. Sorry I just don't have anything else to add when KPD is spewing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: KDP - small centers remark : Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP ~ Adrian Cronauer PS. Sorry I just don't have anything else to add when KPD is spewing.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Now that is funny!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

KPD wrote an entie article on this problem late last year on Boston.com. Might still be able to find it with a search.

Sections
Shortcuts