Kelly Hold Up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Re: Kelly Hold Up

I'm not really worried about putting Bergeron as a 3rd line-center. He's a perfect professional, a fantastic defensive player, and would still see plenty of ice-time because Julien already knows how valuable he is. Like all great shut-down centers, Bergeron isn't one of those players that needs line-mates to make an impact on the game; he covers so much ice and touches the puck so much that any line he's on will be doing a good job. It's not like pev's is a bad player that won't be productive with Bergeron.

Krejci could play 2nd line (less 5v5) and Power-Play, which already suits his game.

Marchand is really the wild-card here... hmmm. Don't know where to put him. Maybe it's time to take the training wheels of him, if he could make in impact off the Bergeron line that would really give us some flexibility.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

The Peverley deal set the bar on Kelly, thought Pevs got to much, rather have them both at about $2.75 Mil/ea.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Ottawa traded him away while they stunk, after being with that organization a long time.  Now they appear to be on the up-swing.  I'd say it's possible he wants to give his former team a chance to resign him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly Hold Up:
    [QUOTE]Ottawa traded him away while they stunk, after being with that organization a long time.  Now they appear to be on the up-swing.  I'd say it's possible he wants to give his former team a chance to resign him.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Do you know if his family lives there? does he have a family?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

His wikipedia entry says his wife teaches in the Ottawa school system.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

The center’s price keeps going up for when he's an unrestricted free agent after this season is over. All in all, considering how productive Kelly has been, it's not a bad problem to have for a Bruins team that should be shelling out the dollars to keep an invaluable piece of the winning formula. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Ottawa traded him away while they stunk, after being with that organization a long time.  Now they appear to be on the up-swing.  I'd say it's possible he wants to give his former team a chance to resign him.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Outside of his wife teaching there, is there any reason at all to think he'd want to go back?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Hold Up : Outside of his wife teaching there, is there any reason at all to think he'd want to go back?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    He was there long enough he may think of it as "home".  Obviously, this is speculation, and would only be relevant if what Chiarelli has offered him is something he would accept as being market-value, but hasn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

With several guys waiting to be signed in the off season, I think everyone will be on the waiting list. I sure hope they resign him, for the B's have the cap space available to keep this team intact for several more years.... We'll just have to wait and see, but I do the B's want to hold on to him. Both CJ and PC hold high regards for Kelly, so I dont see them letting him go, unless someone blows his salary over the roof, which could happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

I will wait until playoff season is done then the UFA's will be talking more with the agents and their concerns. I can't see signing Kelly now cause PC only mistake was signing Thornton 1.1 mill. I have nothing against Thornton but I would rather see the money going towards Kelly or Paille getting a contract.

The Bruins do not need an older enforcer when Bruins have a group of players that can take of business when need be and the players have better skills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Hold Up : Outside of his wife teaching there, is there any reason at all to think he'd want to go back?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

On a CBC telecast they mentioned that Kelly liked Ottawa and there might be a chance he'd go back.

And as we all know what the Canadian media says is all true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Hold Up : He was there long enough he may think of it as "home".  Obviously, this is speculation, and would only be relevant if what Chiarelli has offered him is something he would accept as being market-value, but hasn't.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Last season when he got traded in an interview he did say it's always tough being traded . He didn't seem too happy especially since the Sens at the time didn't look like they were going anywhere for a couple of years and he was going to a team that was positioned well for the playoffs.
    The first person he thanked in his post cup win interview was Murray and the Sens organization for giving him this opportunity and winning the cup with the Bruins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

He's played his way into his likely shot at a big long-term contract. There is no reason to think some team in dire need of leadership, centers, and two way players (I can think of one in a big Ontario city) wouldn't throw 4-5 years at 3.5 at him. Good for him, he's earned it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Maybe he's a 3rd line center (and to be paid as muc) on the Bruins, but might very well be a second line center, with appropriate pay, elsewhere.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

It is funny he gets the A this year for leadership and plays a stand up role all year long. Compared to other third line centers in the league? And this is a question? Really what would it take for the Bruins to keep him? Is he really going to give up another run for the cup over money? I really like having Kelly here. I would not want to be in PC shoes trying to figure this one out. Every other gamble he has made has been a great move. Even the Rolston move is panning out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[QUOTE]It is funny he gets the A this year for leadership and plays a stand up role all year long. Compared to other third line centers in the league? And this is a question? Really what would it take for the Bruins to keep him? Is he really going to give up another run for the cup over money? I really like having Kelly here. I would not want to be in PC shoes trying to figure this one out. Every other gamble he has made has been a great move. Even the Rolston move is panning out. 
    Posted by Macfact[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, and why not? He's certainly earned the right to do so.  No one knows how good the B's will be in a few years or who will be contenders. He'd be doing himself a disservice for not playing his hand. He may well want to stay with the B's and would accept a possibly shorter or less money contract, but he doesn't owe the Bruins a hometown discount. If a team offers him more than 3-3.5 for 4 or 5 years, he'd be dumb to not entertain that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giesse. Show Giesse's posts

[QUOTE]He's played his way into his likely shot at a big long-term contract. There is no reason to think some team in dire need of leadership, centers, and two way players (I can think of one in a big Ontario city) wouldn't throw 4-5 years at 3.5 at him. Good for him, he's earned it.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

+1, we were lucky to get him, and he has been well worth every penny. Sigh. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

[QUOTE]I will wait until playoff season is done then the UFA's will be talking more with the agents and their concerns. I can't see signing Kelly now cause PC only mistake was signing Thornton 1.1 mill. I have nothing against Thornton but I would rather see the money going towards Kelly or Paille getting a contract. The Bruins do not need an older enforcer when Bruins have a group of players that can take of business when need be and the players have better skills.
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

Your chances for getting injured greatly increase the more you fight. Having players like Lucic Chara fight is not a good idea. Fun to watch but you run the risk of getting hurt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

It's going to be a real interesting off season.....

-  we once again have a wealth of capable centers on the team
    -  I think Seguin will blossom as a center where he can utilize his vision more
    -  It would be a shame to have Bergeron (2nd in points on the team) on the third line with lesser wings -- it's a waste of his offensive ability
    -  DK has been inconsistent again this year, not to mention on of the few minus players on a team that has one of the highest goal differentials in the league

Management is going to have some pretty big decisions to make in the offseason.  Is it worth keeping DK as our #1C producing 60-65 pts per year, when Seguin might put up 80+? If so, do we move Seguin to center and then waste Bergeron's offensive ability as a 3rd line center playing with the likes of Pouliot (Marchand will not be a 3rd line winger).  Is Spooner ready for the NHL - as a center? wing?

To me, Kelly is the perfect third line center.  But there is more to the question to that as it is ultimately about getting the most out of your resources -- meaning the whole team as opposed to a particular player.  It is a good problem to have because if somebody goes, they will at least be a valuable asset.  I almost wish they would have signed Kelly already becaue at least then we could get some value out of him if we decide to part ways.

No matter what, we have a logjam at center and I would not be surprised if next year's roster does not have either Kelly or Krecji.  I think that if we pay Kelly to stay on the team, we need to shed salary somewhere else, most likely at the center position.  Then again, maybe Horton never makes it back and we'll need Seguin as a winger and the problem is solved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

bruins really have three #2 lines and one #3 line.  i can see caron taking over paille, but don't want to see kelly leave. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kelly Hold Up : Absolutely, and why not? He's certainly earned the right to do so.  No one knows how good the B's will be in a few years or who will be contenders. He'd be doing himself a disservice for not playing his hand. He may well want to stay with the B's and would accept a possibly shorter or less money contract, but he doesn't owe the Bruins a hometown discount. If a team offers him more than 3-3.5 for 4 or 5 years, he'd be dumb to not entertain that.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

I agree with you he deserves his pay day. We would all like to see him have it. The question is can he garner that with what is available in the league? I guess we will find out now. Look at the Ryder scenario.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

One other thought on the hometown discount. The Red Wings became a power house because they believed in the ulitimate wisdom. Maybe this kind of loyality does not exist. If Kelly had stayed in Ottawa he would have not won a cup. Is he really going to be picked up for that kind of money from a cup contender? Or is he going to be relegated to a team that sits on the bubble like Dallas is with Ryder only one point away from not making the playoffs at all. If it was me as an athlete I would want to factor in the highest likelihood of winning a cup this or next year. He has earned the right to make the money and no one can deny that. He has given us 100 percent and we love him for it. We have some guys in the making like Caron which has suprised us all a bit. PC makes good decision after good decision. But to think Kelly will not consider where his best chance to win a cup again will be in such a tight knit team would crazy. Not a hometown discount but a thirst for the cup.

Sections
Shortcuts