Kelly will be signed!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Kelly will be signed!

This guy is too important to let him hit free agency. Goals/Plus-minus/Leadership/Face-offs/etc. I'm sure PC is working a deal, advantage is his age and potential for front loaded contract. Let's say: 5yrs at 3.5 -3.0 -3.0 -3.0 -2.0
    This takes him to 36 with an early raise and keeps cap hit under $3 mil [less than Peverley!].  There is room.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cashman72. Show Cashman72's posts

Re: Kelly will be signed!

I believe PC has already made an offer to all his RFAs, including Kelly. So he must not like the money or the term or both. Who knows? This would be Kelly's best chance at a lucrative contract so maybe he's waiting for July 1st to see what he gets offered elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Kelly will be signed!:
    This guy is too important to let him hit free agency. Goals/Plus-minus/Leadership/Face-offs/etc. I'm sure PC is working a deal, advantage is his age and potential for front loaded contract. Let's say: 5yrs at 3.5 -3.0 -3.0 -3.0 -2.0 This takes him to 36 with an early raise and keeps cap hit under $3 mil [less than Peverley!].  There is room.
    Posted by number08

The goon is making $1.1M next year.  Based on that, Kelly is a $4M player without question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly will be signed!:
    In Response to Kelly will be signed! : The goon is making $1.1M next year.  Based on that, Kelly is a $4M player without question.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

All "clowning" aside, I don't think you're too far off in your assessment. $4 million puts him right around centers
    David Backes (2012: 43pts +18/ 2011: 62pts +32)
    and
    David Legwand (2012: 37pts -3/2011: 41pts +13)
    who each make a COOL $4.5 million. Not making that here.. it will be a HUGE loss, love the guys game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

I hope so. Kelly is super clutch and very very valuable in big games. his game is built for playoff hockey. this guy is a serious professional and also brings good leadership to the Bruins lockeroom that dont get seen. Kelly also has a one heck of a set of wheels........he can fly!

Having Kelly on the Bruins also helps Bergeron bigtime! you can never have to many guys like Kelly down the middle........that's what wins playoff games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fan08. Show fan08's posts

You know what, it's a chance for him to really cash in big-time. Don't blame him one bit if he wants to test the market.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

3 yrs/ $10M would be a steal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly will be signed! : All "clowning" aside, I don't think you're too far off in your assessment. $4 million puts him right around centers David Backes (2012: 43pts +18/ 2011: 62pts +32) and David Legwand (2012: 37pts -3/2011: 41pts +13) who each make a COOL $4.5 million. Not making that here.. it will be a HUGE loss, love the guys game.
    Posted by Sportsnutty

Kelly is an excellent player on a lot of levels and I'd hate to lose him, but comparing him to Backes is just silly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Let's remember here that its comparing numbers that sets a contract, not comparing skill sets. For the record, I was not comparing him to Backes or Legwand skill-wise but merely illustrating what $4.0+ million will get you.
    So let's continue with comparables then.
    Derek Roy 41pts -10 @ $4.0 million a year 
    Brooks Laich 38pts -9 @ $4.5 million 
    Nik Antripov 34pts +1 @ $4.062 
    Matt Cullen 35pts -10 @ $3.5 million.
    Still think he won't sniff $4.0million?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I didn't say some team won't overpay a free agent coming off a great year and a year removed from a Cup ring, but $4m is too much for Chris Kelley and in no world should he make as much as david backes, or get $4m to center the third line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Hopefully Segin won't mind playing the wing for a while. Center is his natural position. However he doesn't seem like he'll be a whiney little wimp like ms. kessel.

Definitely would like to see Kelly with the Bs for the rest of his career. The 1.1m p/y Thornton is getting should be part of his contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kelly is a no brainer, imo.  He has thrived in Boston.  He is clutch, versatile, never slacks off, AND can slide up to a #2 center if needed.   Guys like Kelly are rare in what they can do.  He's like a Bergey-lite.
    Posted by ipot

He played the same way in Ottawa. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly will be signed! : He played the same way in Ottawa. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

so true, people dont typically appreciate a player till they are on their favourite team.  I like Kelly and hope he stays but i'm not going to stress about it.  There are plenty of players out there that could come in here and we would be saying "I had no idea how great he is, i hope we keep him forever." 

He is good though, does absolutely everything out there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Let's remember here that its comparing numbers that sets a contract, not comparing skill sets. For the record, I was not comparing him to Backes or Legwand skill-wise but merely illustrating what $4.0+ million will get you. So let's continue with comparables then. Derek Roy 41pts -10 @ $4.0 million a year  Brooks Laich 38pts -9 @ $4.5 million  Nik Antripov 34pts +1 @ $4.062  Matt Cullen 35pts -10 @ $3.5 million. Still think he won't sniff $4.0million?
    Posted by Sportsnutty

I can't believe some of these players are in the 4 million club. Especially Nik Anthripov, you have to be kidding. I say do what it takes to keep Kelly, he has earned it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly will be signed! : He played the same way in Ottawa. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

True, at least in the games I saw him play, half of which were against the Bs.
    Same guy, slightly better stats here. previous high was 15 goals and 38 points. He is at 20 goals and 38 points currently. Maybe attributable to being in a contract year?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Kelly will be signed.....by someone else. As has been said a million times on these boards, he has priced himslelf out of boston with his career year. Some desperate team will sign him to a ridiculous contract that he will not be able to live up to, and the B's will go on their merry way with Krejci, Bergeron, and Seguin as their top three centers for next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

No, I don't think he will be signed because the B's won't pay him what others will.
    • He has a Ring now, so that desire is satiated.
    • He's not 21, so he has to start thinking of post-hockey life, and if he is ever going to get the big money contract, it is now or never.
    • Maybe Boston is great place to live and play, but he'd prefer to be closer to home/family.
    • Maybe he wants a chance to be a #2, not a #3 center.
    • I can't see the Bruins paying $4+ for what they see as a third line center.
    It is sad, because he fits so perfectly on this team, but I would understand if he went for the big $.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

No, I don't think he will be signed because the B's won't pay him what others will. He has a Ring now, so that desire is satiated. He's not 21, so he has to start thinking of post-hockey life, and if he is ever going to get the big money contract, it is now or never. Maybe Boston is great place to live and play, but he'd prefer to be closer to home/family. Maybe he wants a chance to be a #2, not a #3 center. I can't see the Bruins paying $4+ for what they see as a third line center. It is sad, because he fits so perfectly on this team, but I would understand if he went for the big $.
    Posted by perrysound

Exactly.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I can't see the Bruins paying $4+ for what they see as a third line center. I would understand if he went for the big $. Posted by perrysound

Exactly

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

It'll be interesting to see if he gets paid like a 20 goal scorer or like a guy who's great defensively but most likely to pot 15.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Kelly will be signed.....by someone else. As has been said a million times on these boards, he has priced himslelf out of boston with his career year. Some desperate team will sign him to a ridiculous contract that he will not be able to live up to, and the B's will go on their merry way with Krejci, Bergeron, and Seguin as their top three centers for next year.
    Posted by jaywall

Jay, didn't we all say the same about Ryder last offseason ?  It was a forgone conclusion that he wouldn't be back. The Bruins elected to go the cheap way & tried to replace him with Pouliot. We all know how that has worked out. Ryder's 3.5 million for his 34 goals so far might be one of the best bargains in the NHL this season. IMO, I just think they should at least make a legitimate effort to sign him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I hope to keep him, but there is also the question of where to put him.

Lucic Krejci Seguin
    Marchand Bergy Horton
    Caron Peverley(?) Spooner/Sauve/Pouliot/Knight

I love Kelly.  He isnt a fourth line player, and the Bruins have a lot of top 9 forwards.  I can see us getting outbid.  I wouldnt be happy, but losing "depth" guys who take on larger roles with other teams is an unfortunate consequence of winning the cup.  Much like losing assistants who accept head coaching gigs after winning a cup.

Again, I hope we sign him , but I can see us letting him walk due to the depth we already have.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In Response to Re: Kelly will be signed! : Jay, didn't we all say the same about Ryder last offseason ?  It was a forgone conclusion that he wouldn't be back. The Bruins elected to go the cheap way & tried to replace him with Pouliot. We all know how that has worked out. Ryder's 3.5 million for his 34 goals so far might be one of the best bargains in the NHL this season. IMO, I just think they should at least make a legitimate effort to sign him.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

While he isnt Ryder, Pouliot has had a decent season relative to what we pay him.

Agreed, Ryder is a steal.  I was hoping we'd get him back at the deadline but the Stars were playing too well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Ryder was a steal.....for one year. Don't count on him repeating this years success.

n Response to Re: Kelly will be signed!:
    In Response to Re: Kelly will be signed! : While he isnt Ryder, Pouliot has had a decent season relative to what we pay him. Agreed, Ryder is a steal.  I was hoping we'd get him back at the deadline but the Stars were playing too well.
    Posted by Drewski5

Sections
Shortcuts