Ken Dryden' s article for The Globe and Mail in Toronto

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Ken Dryden' s article for The Globe and Mail in Toronto

Now that I got your attention this article is not what you think, nothing to do with Leafs-Bruins matchup .   Although very nice read on Dryden and the city of Boston.  Enjoy !

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ken-dryden-for-the-love-of-boston/article11588520/?cmpid=rss1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Ken Dryden' s article for The Globe and Mail in Toronto

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Now that I got your attention this article is not what you think, nothing to do with Leafs-Bruins matchup .   Although I very nice read on Dryden and the city of Boston.  Enjoy !

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ken-dryden-for-the-love-of-boston/article11588520/?cmpid=rss1

Thanks for posting this, BsL.  From the time he wrote The Game I've enjoyed Dryden's insightful take on things.  Cheers!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Good post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Articulate is the best word I can say about Dryden. Never heard a hockey player use the english so well. No matter how much education they received. Great Article & Great Post; Thx Legion! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not reading it.  F Ken Dryden!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Good article! I like Dryden in small doses like this but he is a master at using 5 words to say what 1 word could in his books

Plus he stole a cup from us and he's a scab so I can't like him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

At first I enjoyed the article but it got all schmaltzy and referred to the  1970-1971 play offs. Wish I hadn't now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Articulate is the best word I can say about Dryden. Never heard a hockey player use the english so well. No matter how much education they received. Great Article & Great Post; Thx Legion! 

Bingo, nite.  That he is.  There's been a long-standing, running joke here in Toronto about him being so dull he could bore a corpse but I like his commentary on some things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'm not reading it.  F Ken Dryden!

Spot on and i didn't read "The Game" either. Double F Ken Dryden!! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

Good article! I like Dryden in small doses like this but he is a master at using 5 words to say what 1 word could in his books

even worse, he was a Liberal MP for years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Dryden is the only guy i know that if you ask him a yes or no question he'll talk for an hour.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Dryden is the only guy i know that if you ask him a yes or no question he'll talk for an hour.

Have to admit that's true, 50.  When Gord Stellick and co-host impressionist Don Landry were on THE FAN 590 morning show they used to do a bit that speaks to your point where Landry would impersonate Dryden hosting an awards show.  It would start "Good evening, ladies and gentleman..." 

Before long in the background there would be a voice shouting "Breakfast will be served in the lobby!" 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I enjoyed the article, but I also used to cover Question Period in Parliament and his behaviour on the floor turned me off of him (but the same could be said of almost all MPs - Question period is less civilized than a bunch of monkeys in the zoo. If my fellow Canadians ever feel like being deeply depressed and breaking down in hysterical tears over the country being royally screwed, watch Question Period in person). He was open with reporters when he was a Minister, but he was brutal to quote - would always use 15 words when he could use 2, and he was a limelight hog.

Solid writer, but I'm turned off the person.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I respect the minority (Thoreau thesis on Civil disobediedance), the fact remains the majority of people in the U.S. and the world for that matter are good people.  Ken Dryden, I hate his azz as a Canadien hockey player circa 1970s, is being honest, straight forward, and honest about Boston.  Read this to understand my thoughts:  

THANKS AUSTRALIA THIS IS AWESOME

Written by an Australian Dentist 

To Kill an American 
    You probably missed this in the rush of news, but there was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper, an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American. 

So an Australian dentist wrote an editorial the following day to let everyone know what an American is . So they would know when they found one. (Good one, mate!!!!) 

'An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German, Spanish , Polish, Russian or Greek. An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani or Afghan. 

An American may also be a Comanche, Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian , or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims in America than inAfghanistan . The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses. 

An American is also free to believe in no religion.. For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for God.

An American lives in the most prosperous land in the history of the world.

The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence , which recognizes the God given right of each person to the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous.. Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need, never asking a thing in return. 

When Afghanistan was over-run by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country! 

As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan ...

The national symbol of America , The Statue of Liberty , welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed. These in fact are the people who built America 

Some of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of September 11 , 2001 earning a better life for their families. It's been told that the World Trade Center victims were from at least 30 different countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler did. So did General Tojo , and Stalin , and Mao Tse-Tung, and other blood-thirsty tyrants in the world.. But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself . Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place. They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American. 

Please keep this going!
    Pass this around the World .
    Then pass it around again. It says it all, for all of us. 
    Please do not just delete. 
    Pass it on first. 
    Thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I enjoyed the article, but I also used to cover Question Period in Parliament and his behaviour on the floor turned me off of him (but the same could be said of almost all MPs - Question period is less civilized than a bunch of monkeys in the zoo. If my fellow Canadians ever feel like being deeply depressed and breaking down in hysterical tears over the country being royally screwed, watch Question Period in person). He was open with reporters when he was a Minister, but he was brutal to quote - would always use 15 words when he could use 2, and he was a limelight hog.

Solid writer, but I'm turned off the person.

True, red.  Perhaps his words would have been reduced had Canadian parliament been more like this:

http://youtu.be/LXCSdJivHzU

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He shopped at Filene's Basement, Ken's alright in my book.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

and to think the B'S traded his rights in exchange for two stiffs....

thanx for digging up the '70-71 season....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I don't know how you could be a hockey fan, and not have read "The Game".

Forget your biases, and give it a read.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

I don't know how you could be a hockey fan, and not have read "The Game".

Forget your biases, and give it a read.

1.  I don't care what Dryden thinks.

2.  See #1.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger hockey fan than me.  You'll find many that care as much as I do, but I'm not sure that more is possible.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ive always dispised ken dryden.  not so much playing.  Very much in retired hockey life.  That is all.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

Just 1? You sure about that? He wasn't bad in 77, 78 & 79 either.  I know 79 wasn't a final, but he still stole game 7 when he robbed Ratelle in O.T! Played mediocore for Dryden in 7, but as the great ones do. He wouldn't allow that 5th goal. 

Sections
Shortcuts