Kessel Could Learn From Kadri

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Kessel Could Learn From Kadri

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/03/22/toronto_maple_leafs_phil_kessel_could_learn_from_nazem_kadri_feschuk.html

Nazem Kadri has emerged as the Leaf's go-to guy so far this year.  Dave Feschuk thinks Phil Kessel should adopt some of Kadri's ways to help take the team and his game to the next level. 

Two different styles here but I can't see Kessel developing some other element to become more of an all-round player.  A gifted scorer but he hasn't shown much desire to be an important factor in other areas of a game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Kessel Could Learn From Kadri

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/03/22/toronto_maple_leafs_phil_kessel_could_learn_from_nazem_kadri_feschuk.html

Nazem Kadri has emerged as the Leaf's go-to guy so far this year.  Dave Feschuk thinks Phil Kessel should adopt some of Kadri's ways to help take the team and his game to the next level. 

Two different styles here but I can't see Kessel developing some other element to become more of an all-round player.  A gifted scorer but he hasn't shown much desire to be an important factor in other areas of a game.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one RHO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kadri has been toiling in the AHL for most of his career.  Toronto fans are so high on him now, they're saying the team's top sniper should mimic him.

Marble Lolololoafs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Maybe that's what Kessel needed?  A little time in the AHL to learn that you have to be a truly great sniper - not a streaky guy who disappears when the team slumps - if you want to be as one-dimensional and Phyllis is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think there is no cure for streaky players in basketball and hockey. When they are on it's awesome to watch, when they are off they can't buy a point. Kessel motors up the engine through the neutral zone gets that low hard shot off that the goalie can't stop even if he tracked it. 

To me a goal scorer like Kessel, and even Neely for that matter, sometimes needs a center like Savard or Janney or Oates to get them out of a slump. Kessel doesn't have that, if Phat Phil hadn't been seperated from Savard he would be ringing up 40 in his sleep every year.

I still like to watch Phil wind it up n go across the blueline and if I were a GM I's sign him but not for $5M. With the right center he could keep any Power Play at 21% and not even brake a sweat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one RHO.

50, I doubt Kessel's losing any sleep over his game especially now that he's been scoring lately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

We had the top scoring offense in hockey with Kessel on the team. I still think that 08-09 team was the most talented team not to win a cup. they also swept the Habs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Kadri has been toiling in the AHL for most of his career.  Toronto fans are so high on him now, they're saying the team's top sniper should mimic him.

Marble Lolololoafs.

NAS, I wish them good luck with that.  You're right.  With Burke ushering Kadri in as the next big thing, he didn't live up to expectations despite Kadri's own views that he belonged in the NHL.  Even Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins jumped on him publicly a year ago for having unacceptable fat levels. 

In the past sports media in this town have made a big deal if Kessel just happened to wander closer to his own blue line in a game than he usually does.  We know Kessel wasn't drafted to be Don Marcotte. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Maybe that's what Kessel needed?  A little time in the AHL to learn that you have to be a truly great sniper - not a streaky guy who disappears when the team slumps - if you want to be as one-dimensional and Phyllis is.

It would have been interesting to see how he handled that experience, BB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

NAS, I wish them good luck with that.  You're right.  With Burke ushering Kadri in as the next big thing, he didn't live up to expectations despite Kadri's own views that he belonged in the NHL.  Even Marlies head coach Dallas Eakins jumped on him publicly a year ago for having unacceptable fat levels. 

In the past sports media in this town have made a big deal if Kessel just happened to wander closer to his own blue line in a game than he usually does.  We know Kessel wasn't drafted to be Don Marcotte. 

Come playoff time, some of the Don Marcotte's of the hockey world end up being more valuable then the one dimensional players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I think there is no cure for streaky players in basketball and hockey. When they are on it's awesome to watch, when they are off they can't buy a point. Kessel motors up the engine through the neutral zone gets that low hard shot off that the goalie can't stop even if he tracked it. 

To me a goal scorer like Kessel, and even Neely for that matter, sometimes needs a center like Savard or Janney or Oates to get them out of a slump. Kessel doesn't have that, if Phat Phil hadn't been seperated from Savard he would be ringing up 40 in his sleep every year.

I still like to watch Phil wind it up n go across the blueline and if I were a GM I's sign him but not for $5M. With the right center he could keep any Power Play at 21% and not even brake a sweat.

San, he may never have that top center (eg. Bozak, Grabovski) but it seems he'll still scored between 25 and 35.  With Leafs he hasn't scored less than 30.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Come playoff time, some of the Don Marcotte's of the hockey world end up being more valuable then the one dimensional players.

True, Chowda.  The one-dimensionals can be shut down - and it's the Don Marcottes who usually do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

San, he may never have that top center (eg. Bozak, Grabovski) but it seems he'll still scored between 25 and 35.  With Leafs he hasn't scored less than 30.

You have to have talent to do that and would not have a problem if Kessel came back to Boston as a free agent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

You have to have talent to do that and would not have a problem if Kessel came back to Boston as a free agent.

Neither would I especially if he rung up 30 plus for the Bruins and helped win another championship.  With the Leafs it's more likely to be this:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Nice picture RHO. Very nice. I'm gonna show it to my Compare - a big Leaf and golf fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

Nice picture RHO. Very nice. I'm gonna show it to my Compare - a big Leaf and golf fan.

Saw it on a Leaf joke site, DB.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

hahaha....sweet! Looks like Kessel and now Kadri are set to take up the mantle....

And in other news Phil Kessel is listed as day-to-day for straining a back muscle while practicing the traditional Leaf "lifting of the golf bag" ritual scheduled for the end of the regular season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Neither would I especially if he rung up 30 plus for the Bruins and helped win another championship.  With the Leafs it's more likely to be this:

Theres another guy,Sundin, could have helped the leafs by agreeing to a trade but said he wanted to retire a Leaf, then the next year signed a 1 year $10 mil deal with the Nucks, where he floated around for a year trying to catch his breath......loser.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

hahaha....sweet! Looks like Kessel and now Kadri are set to take up the mantle....

And in other news Phil Kessel is listed as day-to-day for straining a back muscle while practicing the traditional Leaf "lifting of the golf bag" ritual scheduled for the end of the regular season.

Ya know I'd be a little careful with what your saying. I remember in 06' the Flame fans were doing the same kind of thing with the same kind of picture except it was Pronger on the back. IF the Leafs get into the dance it'll be an absolute crazy play-offs if the Habs, Leafs, Sens & Jets all make it? Wow it's gonna be fun especially with a chance of a Mon-Tor first round.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Ya know I'd be a little careful with what your saying. I remember in 06' the Flame fans were doing the same kind of thing with the same kind of picture except it was Pronger on the back. IF the Leafs get into the dance it'll be an absolute crazy play-offs if the Habs, Leafs, Sens & Jets all make it? Wow it's gonna be fun especially with a chance of a Mon-Tor first round.  

I'd actually like to see that, funny considering i detest both teams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Theres another guy,Sundin, could have helped the leafs by agreeing to a trade but said he wanted to retire a Leaf, then the next year signed a 1 year $10 mil deal with the Nucks, where he floated around for a year trying to catch his breath......loser.

[/QUOTE]

Wow! Do you feel the same way about Bourque? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[/QUOTE]

Ray accepted a trade that at least tried to help the B's, Sundin left the Leafs high and dry claiming he wanted to "retire" a leaf, which he didn't.Just the way i see it Nite, Sundin was a pretty good hockey player but if i was a Leaf fan i would have been pizzed at him, and i work with a few that are.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Ray accepted a trade that at least tried to help the B's, Sundin left the Leafs high and dry claiming he wanted to "retire" a leaf, which he didn't.Just the way i see it Nite, Sundin was a pretty good hockey player but if i was a Leaf fan i would have been pizzed at him, and i work with a few that are.

[/QUOTE]
    Ray asked for a trade & I thought that's all Matt did too. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I consider myself forewarned...no more laughs at the Laughs...er, I mean Leafs expense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Ray accepted a tradethat at least tried to help the B's, Sundin left the Leafs high and dry claiming he wanted to "retire" a leaf, which he didn't.Just the way i see it Nite, Sundin was a pretty good hockey player but if i was a Leaf fan i would have been pizzed at him, and i work with a few that are.

Ray asked for a trade & I thought that's all Matt did too

[/QUOTE]
    Sundin left as a free agent, the Leafs asked him to waive his no trade clause at the trade deadline his last season with the Leafs but he refused(which is his right), i just thought it would have been a nice parting gift to the Leafs to help them with a rebuild. The Ducks were offering a package at the time that included Bobby Ryan and a 1st rounder and other teams offered other packages. On a personal note i'm glad he didn't waive his ntc as the Leafs might have escaped mediocrity sooner.

Sections
Shortcuts