Kessel heating up!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Kessel heating up!!!!!!!

I am happy for Phil to be on a hot streak.  That stretch from Thansgiving to after New Year's Day when he only scored four goals in 17 games must have been tough.

He was an impressive -10 in that span.

Most impressive, however, is that he's leading the team in goal scoring, yet is dead last among regular players in +/-.  (Lebda has a lower rating, but has only played 20 games)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Kessel heating up!!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]I am happy for Phil to be on a hot streak.  That stretch from Thansgiving to after New Year's Day when he only scored four goals in 17 games must have been tough. He was an impressive -10 in that span. Most impressive, however, is that he's leading the team in goal scoring, yet is dead last among regular players in +/-.  (Lebda has a lower rating, but has only played 20 games)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Phil has a long way to go yet in becoming a better player.  He also has to become a lot more consistent. 

We skates and unleashes that shot, he looks great and can score with the best of them.  When he slumps, not so much.

He'll never be a good checker, but I see signs of him getting better at the back-check and trying to get into the dirtier areas around the net.  I hate, however, that he doesn't shoot more in the shoot-outs.  With a shot like his, it boggles my mind why he usually tries to deke.

As a Leaf fan I'm optimistic that he can become a more complete player, but he's certainly not there yet by a long shot.

Having said that and regardless of who we talk about, the +/- stat is, in my humble opinion, vastly over-rated.

It doesn't take into account powerplay points, for example, so if you get 2 powerplay points but the other team scores just once on 5-on-5 you end up as -1 for the game. 

In Kessel's case, I do think his lack of back checking has resulted in some goals that he could have helped prevent, but overall it's more a testament to the trouble the Leaf defence has had for the majority of the season.  It's getting better and the goaltending, especially with Reimer, has improved but they need to get rid of some of the dead wood on defence (which may be hard to impossible in the case of Komiserak).

I'm happy to see him using his natural skating more and getting his shot off.  If you watched the Leafs like I do, Kessel could easily  have another 10 goals.  He was a bit snake-bitten during the last slump and could have had a couple of goals against Boston in the last game if it wasn't for your goaltending.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In Response to Kessel heating up!!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Don't look now but Phil the Thrill has 19 goals...shoe in for another 30+ season. Don't worry...I think Horton should be able to get 20.......maybe. TO is hot. Draft pick won't be worth much...can you say Zach Hamill  II
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]
    I guess that's good news for you leaf fans.......Too quote Brian Burke " yes I would do that deal again in a heartbeat ".....you know what....watching Seguin"s rapid progression lately.....BB has clearly lost his marbles!    Kiss

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Beez fan, I have no issue with burke saying that, he needs the leafs to be better now..

Seguin and draft picks are about being better later..

I still like the point that his original quoe was "we drafted 7th this year we dont intend to draft this high again" 
    Kessel was supposed to improve the team immediately and he didnt..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]Beez fan, I have no issue with burke saying that, he needs the leafs to be better now.. Seguin and draft picks are about being better later.. I still like the point that his original quoe was "we drafted 7th this year we dont intend to draft this high again"  Kessel was supposed to improve the team immediately and he didnt..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

But when BUrke took over he didn't need the Leafs to be better right away. Leafs fans were okay with a re-build. He screwed that up by going for it right off the bat. Now, post-trade, he DOES need them to be better, simply to justify the trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Kessel will never score a meaningful goal.  He can get 50 and I dont care.  He plays on a terrible team similar to when Kovy was in Atlanta.  His goals mean nothing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Kessel is young enuf to get better as the team gets better. Hes playing on a team thats basically being rebuilt by BB and hes doing a good job. Watch a few leaf games and you see excited hockey going to be more competetive as the season goes on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kessel heating up!!!!!!! : But when BUrke took over he didn't need the Leafs to be better right away. Leafs fans were okay with a re-build. He screwed that up by going for it right off the bat. Now, post-trade, he DOES need them to be better, simply to justify the trade.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]
    The media in Toronto will have a feild day with Burke, if the Bruins get another top 5 selection in the up coming draft. Even if the Leafs do manage to end up say.... 5-10 slot..central scouting is now saying anyone in the top 10 could go first. In the end,  Burke's assumption that the draft is a crap shoot, and his larger than life ego could invariably get him run right out of hogtown. Right now I wouldn't trade Seguin for Kessel straight up nooooo way...if we end up with say Larsson...this trade could go down as one of the most lopsided deals in history....let's not forget we also have Knight, and the money we saved from not signing PK...we were able to sign Horton....the present and future looks promisng for the Bruins franchise !      Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I love the 7 exclamation marks used for a player on another team who is having a painfully mediocre season.  Still writing like a child nash...?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It will be the most lopsided trade in the past 10 years if not longer.  Nobody would trade Seguin for Kessel straight up, then you have the other lottery pick, then you have the massive salary -- $5.5 million!? 

The Bruins got a ton of cap room, and two future stars.  The Leafs got some talent along with one of the worst minus players in the league.  Only a fool like nash could find a silver lining there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]It will be the most lopsided trade in the past 10 years if not longer.  Nobody would trade Seguin for Kessel straight up, then you have the other lottery pick, then you have the massive salary -- $5.5 million!?  The Bruins got a ton of cap room, and two future stars.  The Leafs got some talent along with one of the worst minus players in the league.  Only a fool like nash could find a silver lining there.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Burke is the one who painted that silver lining in his office....and has been known to stare at it for hours on end.....only to see the same visual, of a dog chasing his own tail.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

he's really on the ball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Oh ! Jesus!!.. two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct!! LOL!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

DC -
    If your really rebuilding, your not trading young players, prospects and draft picks for established players, thats not a rebuild.. Toronto wanted improvement, Like I said burke thought parting with (2) 1st and 2nd for kessel would improve the team immediately, and it didn't..

Wally, same post applies,

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I wouldn't take Kessel if I was building a team. Not a chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Ergo,
    We dont think kessel is a failure or bad player most of us are pretty realistic as to his abilities..

We don't need updates from fans who think his trade was a grave mistake, or think hes a top 10 player in this league, or spouted off time after time about his greatness referring to him time after time as a 40 goal scorer and 50 goal potential etc.. etc..

Similarly, kessel didnt want to be here he didnt get along with the coach, and he wanted to get paid.. "he's the man" in his own mind, and he gets to be that in toronto..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

All of those still in love with Kessel should trade in their Bruins gear for Maple Laffs sweaters and stop talking about this meathead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Ergo, We dont think kessel is a failure or bad player most of us are pretty realistic as to his abilities.. We don't need updates from fans who think his trade was a grave mistake, or think hes a top 10 player in this league, or spouted off time after time about his greatness referring to him time after time as a 40 goal scorer and 50 goal potential etc.. etc.. Similarly, kessel didnt want to be here he didnt get along with the coach, and he wanted to get paid.. "he's the man" in his own mind, and he gets to be that in toronto..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    Well said Roler!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

kessel heating up!!!!!!! .....and then he cools off again. streaky player who'll probably get 2 in the next 12 as the leafs lose 10 of 12.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

YYaawwnn!!!

Didn't Leafs start the season winning 4 in-a-row?

Looks like another lonnnng dry spell is on the way!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]YYaawwnn!!! Didn't Leafs start the season winning 4 in-a-row? Looks like another lonnnng dry spell is on the way!
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    I still expect another lottery pick and I can't imagine the Leafs letting me down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Nice goal from Phylis last night...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

troll alert....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

IMO, the Kessel trade was a mistake by Burke. Not because Kessel is a bad player (which he obviously isn't), but because a rebuilding team, should NEVER trade multiple, high draft picks.
    With the money they paid Kessel, they could have signed a free agent such as Kovalchuk (for example),and that would have allowed them to draft Seguin and keep #32 + this year's #1.                                                                  Kessel is 5th in points, and Clarke Macarthur, who they signed for 1/2 the salary, and gave up nothing for, leads the team.
    That is the type of move, that builds a winner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I dont think its nescessary to have alot of draft picks to rebuild a team, hence, that rebuilds your system, not the team, BB targeted some youth with some expereince and the possibilty of being a star in this league. Theres 4 players on that team right now that fit the bill. BB still has a chance to obtain  some decent draft picks if needed, depending on there this team is in a months time. I have watched 3 of the last 4 leaf games and they are improving and I dont see that pick being a top 5. I can only hope as the rest of you. Ill get slaughtered for this statement but im predicting the leafs will battle (not saying they will ) for that 8th spot.