Kevin Paul Dupont...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Kevin Paul Dupont...

... it seems, has a wannabe follower in Dan Shaughnessy.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/05/05/now_its_time_to_finish_this_unfinished_business/

I don't know who sounds more ridiculous these days, KPD or Silly Dan - the first has unfortunately lost whatever skills he thinks he once had and the second is a fool who annoyingly thinks he should jump on the Bruins bandwagon.  They both call their nonsense sports journalism and it makes me want to boycott boston.com and the Globe and then vomit.  That hurts because I truly enjoy reading the knowledge that appears regularly on these boards and I hope that none of the posters here are really Shaughnessy or Dupont, impossibly disguised as being informed and intelligent.  I consider myself to be a genuine fan and I've followed Bruins hockey seriously for four decades plus, so I read the threads here with great interest because I learn from them and I'm sick of the nonsense and dribble that Shaughnessy and Dupont both now resort to.  Imagine, the two of them competing over who will inherit Bud Collins' trousers and write the next flowery piece of crap about a subject that I take very seriously, especially as the second season intensifies and the Bruins progress further.  Kevin?  Dan?  Are you listening?  If you must write, please consider donating your rubbish to the National Enquirer or the other Globe ... a gift for readers who are looking for entertainment and silly entertainment, at best.  Leave the Bruins to those who are serious about the team and the sport and ... just pop off, now, both of you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IHateManning. Show IHateManning's posts

Re: Kevin Paul Dupont...

Shaughnessy is an idiot. Doesn't say anything that everyone doesn't already know and always has to rain on the parade. I haven't read anything by him or KPD in a long time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Kevin Paul Dupont...:
    [QUOTE]Shaughnessy is an idiot. Doesn't say anything that everyone doesn't already know and always has to rain on the parade. I haven't read anything by him or KPD in a long time.
    Posted by IHateManning[/QUOTE]

You're a lot smarter than me.  Cheers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

KPD had me a little down at the start of the playoffs with his focus on the Bruins being slow but I haven't read anything from him since.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think he does a great job.  He writes the only thing readable in any Boston newspaper.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

He needs a wardrobe consultant

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Luanne7. Show Luanne7's posts

Go flyerssssssssssssssssssssss let's do the same as last year!!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I like Dupes.
    I like Fluto.

Of course when a generalist like Shags, Mazz, or Gasper spout off it's either because the B's are doing very good or very bad. So it's easy to dismiss them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I guess I just don't really understand what there is to hate overall.  Yes, I can see how you could get annoyed with his repetitive statements sometimes, but overall the content is honest and good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think he does a great job.  He writes the only thing readable in any Boston newspaper.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Not true because I like lots of the stuff you write.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

just dont read if you dont like him. i dont mind KPD personally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Anybody watch that video with Shaughnessy and Sullivan ?I can't believe how Sullivan could say in the Bruins first round he saw an average team beat another average team and now the B's are playing so much better in the second round.I think the B's aren't really playing that much better in this round [Thomas is ]Philadelphia has been terrible in my opinion .Montreal would be up 3-0 if they had of advanced.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I guess I just don't really understand what there is to hate overall.  Yes, I can see how you could get annoyed with his repetitive statements sometimes, but overall the content is honest and good.

I don't understand what there is to like about him writing about hockey.
    I'll take his point, but this is NOT the same bunch as last year.  There are key differences
    out
    Wideman Satan Sobotka Whitfield Krecji Seidenberg TT Wheeler Stuart
    in
    Seidenberg TT Krecji Horton Kaberle Peverly Kelly Campbell

Comparing them to the 18-0 Pats?  That's a stretch.

Comparing them to the Red Sox at all??? 86 years vs. 40 years???

The Lucy and the football analogy suggests that every year the Bruins collapse in the playoffs.

The story isn't that simple, they've had years where they didn't make the playoffs at all in the last 40 along with going to the cup finals in the last 40.

He's drawing analogies where they don't exist.

Friday is a big CJ test for my eyes.  Can he get this team prepared for a big game and seal the deal or not?

Friday is NOT a must win.  It would be a good thing for them to win tomorrow.  It *should* happen tomorrow, but they do not have to win tomorrow.  They have 4 games to win 1.

He is an outsider looking in and it is as apparent as when he wrote his article about the outdoor game and about the "diesel fumes" from the zamboni when diesel zambonis are practically extinct and no NHL rink I know of uses a propane zamboni and as a matter of fact every rink I play at uses an electric zamboni.

He is not a hockey guy.

For me, he comes across as a total snob.  I hate snobs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yeah, he's not a hockey guy.  He's in the HHOF for his five Hart Trophies and his three Stanley Cup rings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, he's not a hockey guy.  He's in the HHOF for his five Hart Trophies and his three Stanley Cup rings.

?? Who ??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

KDP has good stuff on most days....must be difficult to constantly come up with fresh material without it looking like a stretch to those who read regularly. If he stays the same with every piece, it would be boring. If he tries to mix in metaphors and be creative, people think he's a poser. Can't really win....

Sometimes in the playoffs he comes our with pieces that tend to hit too hard on the "feeling du jour". I'd rather he take a stance on this team as a whole for the entire playoff run, then create content based on how they meet, exceed or fail on those standards he has of them. A little hubris would go a long way.

Anyway...his best stuff is mid-season, especially when he has some research items from around the league. Say what you want, he knows his hockey.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

It's a dead medium. Everybody knows that. The stuff they write is already 12 hours old by the time we see it.

Dupont is lazy, relying on a 'cult of personality' that isn't. In this day and age, a hockey writer HAS to be inside, HAS to search and bird-dog. If reportage isn't your thing, well then you'd better be a super-mandarin of the game - a hockey Yoda - to make people sit breathlessly at your knee for your next crumb of wisdom. You better have the dope.

We read Dupont, because we read EVERYTHING. And back in the day, Dupont was the ONLY thing on the Bruins you could read.
    Of course, that is no longer the case.
    These days, in journalism, you're either lighting the way or you're in the way.

I will go further. The Boston Globe Hockey Section has always needed a Canadian and if not that, then someone with hockey 'in the wood', in the marrow. Dupont has done a great job of enacting a sort of blase detachment to hide the fact that at his core he just doesn't 'get' the game. He has always written about the Bruins like a guy who got the assignment by losing a bet.

I will go further. Dupont should not be in the HHOF anyway - Sinden was right about that, even way back then. He might of done something to further the game of hockey in the US, but that is more if an indictment of hockey in the US than anything else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

At one time we had a blogger who acknowledged being a sports writer. i don't remember who it was, but it's easy to see that none of these lengthy critiques of KPD have ever had any classrooms on How to write English prose, and be paid to do it. KPD is laughing at you all the way to the bank. My concern is Fluto's criticism of the Flyers that could be posted to stir them up. Leave them be Fluto, and let Ed Snider issue all the negative comments.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I don't mind him except for when he goes off on J. Thornton. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

As much as I did not like the article - he is right - they need to win this game and shut everyone up - I am already sick and tired of hearing about last year. Felger mentions it everyweek on his show. It is has been 30, 60, 90, 120 days since the game 7. Win the game tonight and then all you will have to hear about it the triple overtime game against Edmonton where Wesley missed the open net.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Shaughnessey is an excellent journalist who does not know hockey any more than the average Boston fan.  His article imo was well written even with the cross sports connection. Better than Gasper who is really starting to understand the game more.  A sports journalist in Boston has to reach out to understand other unfamilar sports.  Lastly, KPD, has also been better, less superlative. I was getting real bored with the flowery vernacular... the 70s writting style is boorish now.  Yes the KPD Joe Thornton stuff is just a fetish fixation. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Kevin Paul Dupont...:
    [QUOTE]... it seems, has a wannabe follower in Dan Shaughnessy. http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2011/05/05/now_its_time_to_finish_this_unfinished_business/ I don't know who sounds more ridiculous these days, KPD or Silly Dan - the first has unfortunately lost whatever skills he thinks he once had and the second is a fool who annoyingly thinks he should jump on the Bruins bandwagon.  They both call their nonsense sports journalism and it makes me want to boycott boston.com and the Globe and then vomit.  That hurts because I truly enjoy reading the knowledge that appears regularly on these boards and I hope that none of the posters here are really Shaughnessy or Dupont, impossibly disguised as being informed and intelligent.  I consider myself to be a genuine fan and I've followed Bruins hockey seriously for four decades plus, so I read the threads here with great interest because I learn from them and I'm sick of the nonsense and dribble that Shaughnessy and Dupont both now resort to.  Imagine, the two of them competing over who will inherit Bud Collins' trousers and write the next flowery piece of crap about a subject that I take very seriously, especially as the second season intensifies and the Bruins progress further.  Kevin?  Dan?  Are you listening?  If you must write, please consider donating your rubbish to the National Enquirer or the other Globe ... a gift for readers who are looking for entertainment and silly entertainment, at best.  Leave the Bruins to those who are serious about the team and the sport and ... just pop off, now, both of you.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

I ignore them all, pour another vodka tonic or make a sandwich when the talking heads are on.  I never ever read the sports columns.  They know no more than we do and probably much less.  I do like the blond chick who covers the Bruins game.  She actually knows what she's talking about. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, he's not a hockey guy.  He's in the HHOF for his five Hart Trophies and his three Stanley Cup rings.

OK, can someone explain to me what the heck NAS is talking about???

I was talking about Dan S and I will bet everything I own and hold dear that he's not in the HHOF, has 5 Harts and 3 Cups.

Matter of fact, it would not surprise me an iota that Dan never even stepped foot into the hockey hall of fame in his life.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kevin Paul Dupont... : OK, can someone explain to me what the heck NAS is talking about??? I was talking about Dan S and I will bet everything I own and hold dear that he's not in the HHOF, has 5 Harts and 3 Cups. Matter of fact, it would not surprise me an iota that Dan never even stepped foot into the hockey hall of fame in his life.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Too much analysis, I swore never to judge NAS.  He writes cryptic messages, poetic at times.  Who the puck knows? I sure it is one of many things: sarcasm, a brilliant connection, or he was hung over.

Sections
Shortcuts