Khu dat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Khu dat?

In case no one else has mentioned this - the Bruins locked up Khudobin to be the top goalie in Providence for the next two years or until he decides to bolt for the KHL.  Smart move because they don't have many other legit options for that position.  Khudobin gives them a reasonably legit option in the event of an injury to Thomas or Rask or an almost inconceivable trade.

Maybe even more important, it gives Cassidy's P-Bruins something they haven't had in a long time - a goaltender who can win games.  Extremely important for a young group on the blueline to have a goaltender who can bail them out so every mistake doesn't end up in the twine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Khu dat?

I was sure he was going to the KHL. 
    Why is everyone so high on this guy ?  Has he really been tested in the NHL ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

This was discussed and the main question was what does it mean for Thomas ? The usual defenders of TT jumped on then his detractors also weighed in. The reason why the thread got a little heated is because Khu dat has a "One Way" the 2nd year of his contract the same year TT-God is down to 3M one year left.

The move itself I really like because at some point Thomas will indeed retire (after he signs a 2 year extension) and Tuukka gets pushed as he should be. Me thinks Khudobin's agent threatened 2 things to PC, I'll get him more money in the KHL and I don't want my client to end up like Cory Schneider (as an example) around 30 with not a ton of NHL games played to warrant a starting job.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Wonder why PC didn't take a flyer out in the late rounds on a goalie. It's a good thing there is a Khudobin or the cupboard would be rather bare down on the farm. I wonder, if after training camp and PC has done his evaluations, he doesn't move along a Baby B or two and trade for a young goalie ?  Khudobin was signed the same time as Trent Whitfield. Good to know we got Trent locked up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They did Stuke - they grabbed a Finnish goalie with their final pick.  Lars Voldun.

Unless they want to push Thomas/Rask (mostly Rask), there's no reason to sign a top goalie prospect because hey, where's he going to play?  Khudobin's the perfect solution right now.  He's 25, so he's no raw rookie.  Four pro seasons with decent numbers in the AHL and skewed NHL numbers (five decisions - 4-1 - but only 4 games worth of minutes played).  He signed with his eyes open, and he could step in if needed.  He'll stabilize the goalie situation in Providence until Gothberg or Voldun is ready to play pro or Hutchinson gets his game together.  A "young" goalie - a prospect - couldn't do these things, so better him than someone else's failed prospect (though really, that's pretty much what Khudo is).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

In Response to Re: Khu dat?:
    I was sure he was going to the KHL.  Why is everyone so high on this guy ?  Has he really been tested in the NHL ?
    Posted by BsLegion

YES

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

They did Stuke - they grabbed a Finnish goalie with their final pick.  Lars Voldun. Unless they want to push Thomas/Rask (mostly Rask), there's no reason to sign a top goalie prospect because hey, where's he going to play?  Khudobin's the perfect solution right now.  He's 25, so he's no raw rookie.  Four pro seasons with decent numbers in the AHL and skewed NHL numbers (five decisions - 4-1 - but only 4 games worth of minutes played).  He signed with his eyes open, and he could step in if needed.  He'll stabilize the goalie situation in Providence until Gothberg or Voldun is ready to play pro or Hutchinson gets his game together.  A "young" goalie - a prospect - couldn't do these things, so better him than someone else's failed prospect (though really, that's pretty much what Khudo is).
    Posted by Bookboy007
      Hey Bookboy...I've got a good memory, it's just short is all....I remember that now...First Finnish goalie to be drafted in the NHL...I hope somebody down there has a good year...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Is...is that humour Stuke?  'Cause the Bruins have a pretty good Finnish goalie who was drafted by the Leafs in the first round in 2004....  And they drafted that Toivonen kid out of Finland, so it's not "first Finnish goalie drafted by the Bruins" either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

Lars Volden is Norwegian.
    Playing in the finnish elite league.
    Big dude, 18 years old i think.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Don't see Kudo as a failed prospect, his numbers have been good wherever he has played, his NHL numbers outstanding, only reason he has never got the shot was he was behind a fellow getting paid 6M, not going to bump him in Min.

He has a reasonable contract at 875K for 2 years, and 100K and 800K in Ahl each year and will become UFA after that. This is a possible winwin for player and B's. Injury to either TT or TR, we have a valuable asset that would love to play with Bos D in front of him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Khudobin was/is never going to get more minutes than Backstrom ? Thomas may not sign the extension on the cheap as well...

The Bruins can't afford to let go of Anton IMO. Reading and Providence already have junk for goalies. I say PC has more hopes than just now...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Khudobin was/is never going to get more minutes than Backstrom ? Thomas may not sign the extension on the cheap as well... The Bruins can't afford to let go of Anton IMO. Reading and Providence already have junk for goalies. I say PC has more hopes than just now...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I agree.  If nothing else, maybe he turns into a decent #2 goaltender, a la Joey MacDonald.  If Thomas goes elsewhere after his deal is up and Rask is the #1, maybe this guy is the #2.

It won't hurt to have him on the payroll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Is...is that humour Stuke?  'Cause the Bruins have a pretty good Finnish goalie who was drafted by the Leafs in the first round in 2004....  And they drafted that Toivonen kid out of Finland, so it's not "first Finnish goalie drafted by the Bruins" either.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Not Finnish...but first Norwegian goalie drafted....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Given what the Wild got for him, they gave up on him.  The threat of the KHL was part of that, but they decided he was about to become a valueless asset and moved him for another guy who is basically a valueless asset (despite lighting up his new league).  Clearly he was willing to stay in NA and play in the AHL even with a KHL offer on the table, so how hard did the Wild try to sign him as a backup to Backstrom?  Key word there is backup.  He didn't have to supplant Backstrom, just be a solid #2.  He just committed to being a solid #3 for the Bruins, so it can't be the ol' "he wants to be a starter!" argument.  So - they gave up on him.  I call that being a failed prospect.  It doesn't mean he can't still be a good goalie and have a nice career - even if he has to wait until he's 27 or 29 to get a real NHL look.

The timeline will be tricky, but my thinking has always been along the lines that he's the #2 in waiting - if he'll wait that long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Believe he was the first Norwegian goalie drafted (ever) AND the first goalie drafted from the Finnish league this year.

I love the way PC throws a late round draft pick at a young goalie prospect every year (Gothberg last year).  This is the only way to draft goalies in my opinion.  Higher round picks have too much value for something so unlikely to pan out, and since every team only needs 1 or 2 of them, goalies can always be had via trade and free agency.  But if a 7th round pick for an 18-year old goalie pans out even once, it is absolutely worth trying it 10 times.

I can't see Thomas in Boston for more than two more years.  Hopefully we can keep Khudo around long enough to comete with Rask to be the next guy. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"even if he has to wait until he's 27 or 29 to get a real NHL look."

that never happens ;-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Given what the Wild got for him, they gave up on him."

Or Chuck Fletcher really thought he was helping Houston win the Calder and wanted some depth knowing he could get Turco or Emery to back up Backstrom during the summer...

Sections
Shortcuts