Khudobin/Rask

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Khudobin/Rask

There are obviously other threads going on involving trading Rask, and I know that I've seen these sorts of things thrown out there in the past:
    "Rask and Khudobin will be awesome together for a long time"
    "Khudobin is the future"
    And most importantly:
    "We can deal Rask, because Khudobin is waiting in the wings".

Did 1 person just say this and everyone just believed it? Or is there something that I'm missing? Just by looking at his stats/bio, there's nothing other than a few call-ups where he played exceptionally well that would indicate that Khudobin is an absolute stud, which everyone seems to think.
    He seems very streaky, as there are points where he went on 8 game home unbeaten streaks and allowing 13 goals in that span. What happened in those other games????? Isn't that alarming to anyone?
    I see plenty of people saying "Rask is unproven", and say that he's expendable, because we have Khudobin, who is even more unproven than Rask. Khudobin has put up mediocre stats against 2nd-tier 20-year old prospects and 30 year old goons and journeymen, and has played really well in the 5 games that he's been called up to the NHL.
    He's never cracked .920 for a whole season in the AHL (Rasks NHL SV% is .925). In fact, in Tuuk's so called "down year" last year, his SV% was a pretty good amount higher than Khudobin's career high (.913 - last year).

I guess my question is, why is he so proven, and Rask isn't? What am I not seeing about Khudobin here? This is something that has bothered me for a long time, but I've never really seen or heard anything. Sure, he may be a decent goalie at some point, but why are we so certain that he could legitimately take the reigns from Timmy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Khudobin/Rask

It seems that Khudobin's flashes of brilliance have some people thinking he is a future elite goalie in the NHL. Of course that's absurd. Goalies are a crap shoot to begin with until they've established a few seasons of NHL success. Too many have done it for 1 season then blew up. (Lacher, Razor, Toivenen, etc., etc.). There are a few reasons to think Khudobin has the potential to be an everyday NHL goalie but noone should have the belief that this guy is the next Bruins goalie-elite and Rask is therefore expendable.

Rask has been very good at every level he's played at and IMO has enough NHL games under his belt to be removed from crap shoot status.

At this point in time, the heir apparent to Thomas is Rask. Period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I honestly have not read a single post suggesting that Khudobin would be anything more than a solid NHL back-up to Thomas. 

I think the Rask trade talk is more about folks having confidence in Thomas as the starter over the next few years VS Rask's value/desire to be a #1.  Seems reasonable to speculate that something might have to give there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Khudobin has not done anything to suggest he can be a legit # 1.

Rask has and will be. Any deal invlovling Rask/Columbus would almost certainly have to include Mason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: Khudobin/Rask:
    [QUOTE]Khudobin has not done anything to suggest he can be a legit # 1. Rask has and will be. Any deal invlovling Rask/Columbus would almost certainly have to include Mason.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Well they can keep that sieve on lock. No interest in Mason after his performance thus far this year. Save percentage in the .800 range? On the upside he is ranked 1st in the league in one category, losses... So thanks but no thanks.

Can we just keep Rask and stop the nonsense trades?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

PC wants competition for Rask who is competition for Thomas, gotta have it. I feel bad for Khudobin this season PBruins defense are horrendous as he has faced the most shots in the AHL and made the most saves, not good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Have never thought of trading Rask, as he continues to improve as long as Claude gives him more games. Rask will need a new contract and Chiarelli wants Claude to allow Rask the opportunities to justify the next deal. Khudobin, at this time, is considered the next backup, to Rask, if Timmy is traded, as his contract allows more flexibility. However, Timmy is playing like he wants to stay, and the rest of the team, with a few minor exceptions, are doing their best to keep him from losing. Looking at the Providence defense, Warsofsky and Cantin are 21; Cohen is 22; Barkowski and Kamfer are both 23; Cross is still at B.C. which might explain some of the trouble in Providence, as these young guys gain pro-level experience. Hamilton will need two more years, and Button is only 20. This is the level of inexperience that would initiate the "trade Timmy" talk, for a Shea Weber type as Ference gets older and more brittle, and Boychuck continues to make gaffs. Seidenberg is 30; Corvo and Chara are both 34; so two quality defensemen, to guide Hamilton are probably on Chiarelli's radar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Khudobin lost his first three starts this season, but is 7-3 since then. In November, he has a 1.48 goals-against average and a .958 save percentage."

If Anton keeps playing like this he'll get his shot in the NHL someday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Khudobin/Rask:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Khudobin/Rask : Well they can keep that sieve on lock. No interest in Mason after his performance thus far this year. Save percentage in the .800 range? On the upside he is ranked 1st in the league in one category, losses... So thanks but no thanks. Can we just keep Rask and stop the nonsense trades?
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I think Masons numbers are more reflective of the team he is on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

And like I said in the initial post, SanDog, there are points where he seems to play lights out for a string of games..which also means that he lays a LOT of eggs.
    If you're going to have a 2.50-ish GAA, your GA line better not read like this in consecutive games:
    0-6-1-2-5 or whatever. I'd much rather it be 2's and 3's every night (Rask), with a few 1's and 0's, which gives your team a chance to win EVERY night. Judging by the amount of impressive streaks that Anton goes on, it seems that there has to be some pretty serious lulls, considering his mediocre overall stats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Kelv- Mason needs to get out of Columbus to get better. He needs a system, he is definitely a system guy. New Jersey or a team like that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Khudobin/Rask:[QUOTE]And like I said in the initial post, SanDog, there are points where he seems to play lights out for a string of games..which also means that he lays a LOT of eggs. If you're going to have a 2.50-ish GAA, your GA line better not read like this in consecutive games: 0-6-1-2-5 or whatever. I'd much rather it be 2's and 3's every night (Rask), with a few 1's and 0's, which gives your team a chance to win EVERY night. Judging by the amount of impressive streaks that Anton goes on, it seems that there has to be some pretty serious lulls, considering his mediocre overall stats.Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

I would have a problem with the "Lulls" if he wasn't leading the AHL in saves as well as facing the most shots in the league, he's being left out to dry. Cassidy has some serious problems in defensive breakdowns.

When Providence plays bad they are the worst in the AHL evident last night. When Hamill, Campfer, Sauve, Tardiff and Hennesy play a puck possession game they can hang with anyone in the league, very Heckyl n Hyde. I agree about Mason take him out of Columbus and he plays better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I'm not necessarily saying that he's bad, I guess.....Not as much recently, but I've certainly seen people in the past say that Khudobin IS our future in goal. If you simply judged his NHL appearances? Absolutely. Kid has played lights out. And if you look at his hot stretches, he seems to play pretty well, but something tells me that when it's ugly, its REAL ugly.
    And it's sort of mind blowing that Tuukka is younger than him, but some people want to pass the reigns to Anton. Just a little strange, is all. I'm just not sold at all on him yet as a legitimate option for the future of this franchise.

Sections
Shortcuts