Killorn Hit On Ranger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Killorn Hit On Ranger

Have you guys seen this hit?  I'm not usually a guy who likes to blame the victim, but come on.  What was Ranger thinking?  I've been playing dude-stick-and-puck for twenty years.  But, before that, I played hockey.  I was also a defenceman.  There's no way I would've ever done what Ranger did on that play.  In my day, when someone was chasing you on a dump-in, you skated as fast as you could, skated around the net and tried not to get hit.  If Ranger keeps skating with the puck, he doesn't leave the ice on a stretcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Killorn Hit On Ranger

WATCH IT HERE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Everything Ranger does is wrong.  Opponent in pursuit, he skates directly to the boards.  The last second change of direction made it much worse.

I blame the "victim" all the time on plays like this.  I can remember on one hand how many times I put myself in this position.  And every time, after, I'd think, "Wow, that was stupid.  What was I thinking?"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Agree with goodnews.  He almost baits him into trying to hit him, hesitates, then turns into the boards.  There is suddenly nowhere to hit they guy but in the numbers.  The is just no way that is what Alex Killorn was trying to do.  Forechecking has gotten really hard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ranger took the wrong track on the puck as he was watching up ice - Killorn didn't. and was going to be in a much better position to play the puck off the play. Instead of realizing this and repositioning himself for a play against killorn, Ranger makes a last second likely instinctive decision to make a stab for the puck, putting him straight into Killorn's tracks. Killorn didn't have a hope in hell of avoiding that hit. I doubt it would evn have been a hit if Ranger hadn't turned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

That's about where I stopped watching this game (wanted to watch CHI-STL ). TSN was buzzing on Killorn but this was totally on Ranger, last minute he turns into Killorn. Refs giving him a mach penalty was just wrong !  If Ranger continues in the direction he initially was going towards to get the puck probably would not even be hit,  even with his back turned.

p.s. as for Chicago they prove once again when they need to win they are the best team in the West and maybe in the whole NHL.  Crawford was awesome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Ranger looks up to the scoreboard as time was running out in the period. Which is probably why he ended up taking the wrong track to the puck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Looked to me like Ranger faked like he was going to rim the puck around the boards and absorb the hit - like 99.9% of all hockey players would do in that situation - then he inexplicably turns into the hit while ducking down, basically putting his head right into the path of Killorn's hit. NAS nailed it "what was I thinking?!?!"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ranger took the wrong track on the puck as he was watching up ice - Killorn didn't. and was going to be in a much better position to play the puck off the play. Instead of realizing this and repositioning himself for a play against killorn, Ranger makes a last second likely instinctive decision to make a stab for the puck, putting him straight into Killorn's tracks. Killorn didn't have a hope in hell of avoiding that hit. I doubt it would even have been a hit if Ranger hadn't turned.

[/QUOTE]

It probably would have been a phantom crash into the boards Shawn Thornton style.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It probably would have been a phantom crash into the boards Shawn Thornton style.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking - side by side board crash.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Where is san with his camera angle?   Victims are to blame on most of these.  You make a stupid play you get the results.  kilorn was doing his job by forechecking and attempting to get body contact.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's about where I stopped watching this game (wanted to watch CHI-STL ). TSN was buzzing on Killorn but this was totally on Ranger, last minute he turns into Killorn. Refs giving him a mach penalty was just wrong !  If Ranger continues in the direction he initially was going towards to get the puck probably would not even be hit,  even with his back turned.

p.s. as for Chicago they prove once again when they need to win they are the best team in the West and maybe in the whole NHL.  Crawford was awesome.

[/QUOTE]

I flipped to this game as well.  Those are 2 awesome teams.  Chicago i think is better then last year.  And of course Crawford was awesome.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

Everything Ranger does is wrong.  Opponent in pursuit, he skates directly to the boards.  The last second change of direction made it much worse.

I blame the "victim" all the time on plays like this.  I can remember on one hand how many times I put myself in this position.  And every time, after, I'd think, "Wow, that was stupid.  What was I thinking?"

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you totally.

BUT

These kinds of injuries cannot, continue to happen with such regularity.  It's really damaging the game.

How did this dung  creep into the game, and how do we get it out.  it's a really convoluted conundrum.  Theres so many factors in play, and nothing seems to be working. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If the elbow doesn't hit the back of the head then I think the hit is Ok. No telling what Shanahammer will think.

http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There is a significant rise in pedestrians getting hit by cars.

Growing up, I was told "Look both ways before crossing the street."

These days, people don't look either way.  They just start walking.

Yes, the cars are to blame because the law says pedestrians have the right of way.

Greatly reduce injury by having pedestrians follow the old rule of "avoid this dangerous action".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I flipped to this game as well.  Those are 2 awesome teams.  Chicago i think is better then last year.  And of course Crawford was awesome.   

[/QUOTE]

Hey when you're inconsistent, that means you're going to have some really good games too...;)

I think Chicago, somehow, has regressed in scoring depth recently.  It seems more and more like they are desperately double shifting the Kane-Toews-Sharp line when they need a goal.  Bickell is suddently very, very mediocre after his Sean Bergenheim-ish playoff run.  Saad is inconsistent and and pretty quiet.  Hossa's injury is coming soon.  Kruger...meh?  Shaw is good, as long as someone else can get him the puck in front.  I think the Bruins and the Blues matchup better in foward lines top to bottom.  But Chicago has a great blueline and a top scoring line that can blow any game open, so you never know.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

There is a significant rise in pedestrians getting hit by cars.

Growing up, I was told "Look both ways before crossing the street."

These days, people don't look either way.  They just start walking.

Yes, the cars are to blame because the law says pedestrians have the right of way.

Greatly reduce injury by having pedestrians follow the old rule of "avoid this dangerous action".

[/QUOTE]

But Ranger did look both ways AND up at the clock on the scoreboard. So I don't get your point. It's not like he got hit by the zamboni :P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey when you're inconsistent, that means you're going to have some really good games too...;)

I think Chicago, somehow, has regressed in scoring depth recently.  It seems more and more like they are desperately double shifting the Kane-Toews-Sharp line when they need a goal.  Bickell is suddently very, very mediocre after his Sean Bergenheim-ish playoff run.  Saad is inconsistent and and pretty quiet.  Hossa's injury is coming soon.  Kruger...meh?  Shaw is good, as long as someone else can get him the puck in front.  I think the Bruins and the Blues matchup better in foward lines top to bottom.  But Chicago has a great blueline and a top scoring line that can blow any game open, so you never know.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah. 27-12 2.21 .919 is an off year.  I guess off his amazing year last year it is.  

Chicago has been minus hossa for a bit.  But bickell has always been avg but has been playing like he did in the playoffs.  I think when you throw toews sharp then kane hossa on two lines its gonna be strong.  Shaw, Versteeg and smith are playing with energy.  Even Bollig plays his role well.  I really like their defense.   I just think their younger players that we have mentioned are know experienced and better and you still have the core as elite players.  Add a solid 6 defense and big game crawford and they are scary.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah. 27-12 2.21 .919 is an off year.  I guess off his amazing year last year it is.  

Chicago has been minus hossa for a bit.  But bickell has always been avg but has been playing like he did in the playoffs.  I think when you throw toews sharp then kane hossa on two lines its gonna be strong.  Shaw, Versteeg and smith are playing with energy.  Even Bollig plays his role well.  I really like their defense.   I just think their younger players that we have mentioned are know experienced and better and you still have the core as elite players.  Add a solid 6 defense and big game crawford and they are scary.  

[/QUOTE]

I got to sit on the glass last Wednesday and watch them play the Avs, and I was surprised how ineffective their other 3 lines were.  But I agree that there is plenty of talent, should they get going.  Bickell and Saad looked awful though.  Hossa is the tin man, and Versteeg is Captain streaky.  Smith did look good though, and Shaw seems like a big game player.

Rannta was the starter (as Crawford gave up 4 goals in the 1st period and was pulled last time here...ahem, cough...).

I think that if anything, Chicago's D is underrated.  Keith makes so many things easy for this team, and with a partner like Seabrook they always seem to have an advantage.  Hjalmarsson and Leddy looked awfully good too.  No weak link in those guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Looks like no supplemental discipline for Killorn. Glad the NHL got this one right, and for once the comments on TSN are somewhat sane:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=446810

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looks like no supplemental discipline for Killorn. Glad the NHL got this one right, and for once the comments on TSN are somewhat sane:

[/QUOTE]

Three cheers!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I got to sit on the glass last Wednesday and watch them play the Avs, and I was surprised how ineffective their other 3 lines were.  But I agree that there is plenty of talent, should they get going.  Bickell and Saad looked awful though.  Hossa is the tin man, and Versteeg is Captain streaky.  Smith did look good though, and Shaw seems like a big game player.

Rannta was the starter (as Crawford gave up 4 goals in the 1st period and was pulled last time here...ahem, cough...).

I think that if anything, Chicago's D is underrated.  Keith makes so many things easy for this team, and with a partner like Seabrook they always seem to have an advantage.  Hjalmarsson and Leddy looked awfully good too.  No weak link in those guys.

Bad example when they play the Avs.  It's like the Bruins when they played against the Habs their first two meetings. AVs match up really well for some reason.

Last night Crawford outplayed Miller (their savior) .  The Blackhawks when it comes to making a statement they win.  They did it to the Ducks when everyone was saying they were the best team and now to the Blues. They've also did it to the Kings. They're the best team in the West , again, if the Avs don't throw a wrench in their spokes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Three cheers!

[/QUOTE]

No supplemental discipline, sounds like Ranger is ok, and the Bolts won the game despite a major/game misconduct being called on the ice.

A rare...Win-Win-Win

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Three cheers!

[/QUOTE]

No supplemental discipline, sounds like Ranger is ok, and the Bolts won the game despite a major/game misconduct being called on the ice.

A rare...Win-Win-Win

[/QUOTE]

Thing is Crowls, is it really, or does it magnify the fact there's no real direction.  I agree the league got it right(this time), but the refs obviously saw it differently.  I'm wondering if this won't elevate the confusion

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Thing is Crowls, is it really, or does it magnify the fact there's no real direction.  I agree the league got it right(this time), but the refs obviously saw it differently.  I'm wondering if this won't elevate the confusion

I still think it's boarding, though that wasn't Killorn's intent. But he doesn't slow up and he doesn't keep his stick down. Granted he had next to no time to pull up, but if he was going in for the puck, not the body (which again is fine) there''s no injury. Once it's determined to be a board, it can't be a minor because there's an injury. And it's a game misconduct because that injury is to the head/neck/face and that's an automatiic misconduct under the rule. I think the refs got it right, at least by how the rule book is written (You can disagree with the rule itself) and that the league got it right by not bringing in supplemental discipline.

Without those manadtories I'd say it was a 2 minute minor, but with the mandatories in place, the right call was made.