Knight and Spooner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Knight and Spooner

Their legend continues...without ever playing one NHL game. 

I haven't seem much of them outside of rookie camp and youtube.  I do know that neither was anywhere near the top of the scoring list in the OHL.  You can blame Knight's poor team and Spooner's move from one team to another, but what have they actually done?

I'm trying to understand why people think one of them (or both) will make the NHL next season.  All I can come up with so far is the fact that they skate fast and that they are Bruins draft picks.  (Keep in mind, there is also a Craig Cunningham thread around here somewhere!)

My guess is that both of them will be back in the OHL next season, in Providence the following year and then maybe one of them might make the big team the year after that .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Knight and Spooner

Sounds about right NAS.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

I've seen both play, and both have game. i think either one of them have an OUTSIDE, and I mean outside chance at making the big club, but my guess is that they are returned to the OHL next year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Haven't seen many posts advocating Spooner (a few)/Knight (none) with the big club next year.  Most posts I read are talking Caron, maybe Sauve getting a shot. 

Agree with your assessment, OHL next year and possible WJC for both.  Camp the following year to see where they are and what they can do.

Who really knows, though?  Young guys have made their mark in recent years; Bergeron, Kessel, Lucic, Seguin and even Caron.  If they prove that they are ready, I trust the coaching staff and management to make the right call. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I wont claim to know much about either, but wasn't Knight one of the last ones cut from camp last season?  That probably has some merit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Stay away from Providence nobody wants to see your bitter beer face around the Dunk trying to convince everyone that the Bruins don't have any prospects worth while. What none of the sunglass hut girls in Providence Place smile back ?

gm  g    a    p
    AHL  79  18  41  59 who's numbers are better than Brad's first season ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Gotta give people time to adjust to the new reality where the team owns the Cup and prospects can be developed slowly rather than expected to jump from junior to the top six where they will be lit up like candles if they fail to deliver.

The Bruins rosters that Bergeron and Lucic cracked were pretty weak clubs.  The 02-03 club was the last Ftorek year.  They had Murray and Knuble, Thornton and an injured Samsonov, Rolston, and Stumpel.  After that...not much.  That's why they barely cracked .500.  Lucic broke through after the brutal Dave Lewis year when they were the 8th worst team in the NHL.  Knight and Spooner will be trying to surprise their way on to a Cup championship roster.

It could happen.  Spooner's a bit of an odd duck, and sometimes that kind of personality ramps it up in the face of a challenge.  Knight will have more work to do, I think.  But it will be a huge surprise if the Bruins choose to keep either of them ahead of the Providence guys.  If I'm Caron, Sauve, Arniel, or Hamill, I'm furious if it goes down.  Hopeful that's the kind of fury they'd channel into improving their games...but I don't know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

You're one grizzled dude, NAS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Spooner I only once saw play in the Orr Cherry All Star game in their draft year on the internet. Spooner scored a spectacular short handed goal which was the game winner. 

Spooner and Knight's moment of truth will probably come on how they do in Providence the year after next season. They both played in Providence for 3 games last season. Knight had 2 assists and Spooner had 2 goals and 1 assist. If any one of them can duplicate their pace of 3 games played at Providence over a longer number of games played in the AHL, they will be in the NHL. 

Of course if either one of them shines in the WJH tournament, that will help their case also. I was told by a guy whose knowledgeable about junior hockey on Yahoo Puck Daddy (Guy F), that Marchand was Team Canada's best forward in one of those WJH tournaments one year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Knight and Spooner:
    [QUOTE]You're one grizzled dude, NAS.
    Posted by shaunk[/QUOTE]

Why?  Because I'm not gaga over a couple of second round picks that didn't exactly light up a league of kids? 

I hope they turn into awesome NHLers and awesome Bruins.  I created this thread to find out if there was something I was missing.

So far, the answer is:  no.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Stay away from Providence nobody wants to see your bitter beer face around the Dunk trying to convince everyone that the Bruins don't have any prospects worth while. What none of the sunglass hut girls in Providence Place smile back ?        gm  g    a    p AHL  79  18  41  59 who's numbers are better than Brad's first season ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Glug glug glug post.

Glug glug glug post.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobforte2002. Show bobforte2002's posts

In Response to Knight and Spooner:
    [QUOTE]Their legend continues...without ever playing one NHL game.  I haven't seem much of them outside of rookie camp and youtube.  I do know that neither was anywhere near the top of the scoring list in the OHL.  You can blame Knight's poor team and Spooner's move from one team to another, but what have they actually done? I'm trying to understand why people think one of them (or both) will make the NHL next season.  All I can come up with so far is the fact that they skate fast and that they are Bruins draft picks.  (Keep in mind, there is also a Craig Cunningham thread around here somewhere!) My guess is that both of them will be back in the OHL next season, in Providence the following year and then maybe one of them might make the big team the year after that .
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Spooner not only had a very good camp last year he also had a fairly good season in Juniors scoring a combined 81 points over 64 games (35 goals, 46 assits).  He has NHL speed and play making ability. His hockey sense is  very good and because of his speed and smarts he is a very effective penalty killer. Like all players on the smallish size Spooner is going to have to add to his frame and build up his core strength in order to play in the NHL but skill set wise he has the tools.  He finished last year playing for the Providence Bruins scoring 3 points in 3 games.  I'm not sure Spooner has much more to prove at the Junior level next year.  As he will turn 20 during next season he is eligible to play in the AHL next year.  It's unlikely he makes the Bruins, baring a spectacular camp, but it seems much more likely he winds up playing in Providence for a full season next year, vs going back to Juniors, where the Bruins can be much more involved in his development.

Knight had a very good season in the OHL last year scoring 70 points in 68 games (25 goals / 45 assists).   He is not the skater Spooner is but makes it up for it with his physical play.  Like Spooner he is on the smaller size and will need to add to his frame and his core lower body strength to play at the NHL level.   Good two way player. Scores both skill and hard-nosed type goals. Plays with an edge and isn't afraid to go to the net and the dirty areas.  Also like Spooner Knight will turn 20 in the 2011-2012 season and thus would be eligible to play in the AHL next year.  Knight may benefit from going back to Junior for another year but again like Spooner would probably benefit more from playing in the AHL where the Bruins could be much more involved in his development.  I don't think Knight has much if any chance of making the Bruins next year but I believe he winds up in Providence instead of back in Juniors full time for the 2011-2012 season.

The Bruins don't have many roster spots to fill at the forward position (at this point just one spot as Ryder has essentially been replaced with Pouliot).  Sauve, Arniel and Caron are much more likely to wind up playing games with the Bruins next year versus Spooner or Knight however both Spooner and Knight skill set wise project to be more impact type players at the NHL level then Sauve, Arniel or Caron so expect them both of them to be NHL regulars sooner rather later. And by sooner I'm guessing both Spooner and Knight break camp with the Bruins in the 2012-2013 season (especially with Peverly, Thorton, Campbell, Kelly and Paille all being UFAs after this upcoming season).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

Well NAS I would say this!  I am with you that they are unproven draft picks that seem to be on a pedistal around here!  Having said that, the same could of been said about these second rounders before they stepped into the Bruins lineup out of nowhere!
    Patrice Bergeron Junior
    David Krejci Providence
    Milan Lucic Junior
    Brad Marchand Providence
    You just never know when there going to be ready!  Given the Bruins recent history, these kids will not be given the oppurtunity to play unless they are lights out in camp.  My guess is Caron is this years big surprize.  Although I got a feeling Doug Hamilton may make a push.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Nice PROSPECTS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Knight and Spooner : Spooner not only had a very good camp last year he also had a fairly good season in Juniors scoring a combined 81 points over 64 games (35 goals, 46 assits).  He has NHL speed and play making ability. His hockey sense is  very good and because of his speed and smarts he is a very effective penalty killer. Like all players on the smallish size Spooner is going to have to add to his frame and build up his core strength in order to play in the NHL but skill set wise he has the tools.  He finished last year playing for the Providence Bruins scoring 3 points in 3 games.  I'm not sure Spooner has much more to prove at the Junior level next year.  As he will turn 20 during next season he is eligible to play in the AHL next year.  It's unlikely he makes the Bruins, baring a spectacular camp, but it seems much more likely he winds up playing in Providence for a full season next year, vs going back to Juniors, where the Bruins can be much more involved in his development. Knight had a very good season in the OHL last year scoring 70 points in 68 games (25 goals / 45 assists).   He is not the skater Spooner is but makes it up for it with his physical play.  Like Spooner he is on the smaller size and will need to add to his frame and his core lower body strength to play at the NHL level.   Good two way player. Scores both skill and hard-nosed type goals. Plays with an edge and isn't afraid to go to the net and the dirty areas.  Also like Spooner Knight will turn 20 in the 2011-2012 season and thus would be eligible to play in the AHL next year.  Knight may benefit from going back to Junior for another year but again like Spooner would probably benefit more from playing in the AHL where the Bruins could be much more involved in his development.  I don't think Knight has much if any chance of making the Bruins next year but I believe he winds up in Providence instead of back in Juniors full time for the 2011-2012 season. The Bruins don't have many roster spots to fill at the forward position (at this point just one spot as Ryder has essentially been replaced with Pouliot).  Sauve, Arniel and Caron are much more likely to wind up playing games with the Bruins next year versus Spooner or Knight however both Spooner and Knight skill set wise project to be more impact type players at the NHL level then Sauve, Arniel or Caron so expect them both of them to be NHL regulars sooner rather later. And by sooner I'm guessing both Spooner and Knight break camp with the Bruins in the 2012-2013 season (especially with Peverly, Thorton, Campbell, Kelly and Paille all being UFAs after this upcoming season).
    Posted by bobforte2002[/QUOTE]

Bob, I think you need to do a little research on eligibility rules for the OHL. And Knight's skating does not take a back seat to Spooner's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

I  have not seen Ryan Spooner play live but am going on comments made by his coach in Kingston, who happens to be Doug Gilmore know Hall of Fammer.Heard him in an interview with him after the end of the season and he said do not be surprised to see this kid in a Bruins uniform real soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Based on their birthdays, they may both see another year of Junior.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmanning. Show tmmanning's posts

Beside camp Spooner was the highlight of the rookie game that the B's moved up to Boston with all the Seguin hype and he came out and overshadowed #2 draft pick. I think that has alot to do with the hype about him making the team this year. Probably doesnt hurt Sauve that he lead the PB's in goals and  he had the two assits on Spooners goals in that game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Knight and Spooner:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight and Spooner : Glug glug glug post. Glug glug glug post. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yah OK anyone on here that questions your scouting authority is drunk got it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Stay away from Providence nobody wants to see your bitter beer face around the Dunk trying to convince everyone that the Bruins don't have any prospects worth while. What none of the sunglass hut girls in Providence Place smile back ?        gm  g    a    p AHL  79  18  41  59 who's numbers are better than Brad's first season ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I 2nd that!  and no more comments on Doug Hamilton please (Shot).
    I'll leave the scouting to Chowdah.  From what I saw in pre-season Spooner did better than expected and was a late cut. That was positive although based on what I saw you could tell they both were not ready to make the next step away from juniors.
    Let's just say Marchand at their stage showed more and got the feeling sooner rather than later would make the big team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm quite sure that Chiarelli has Sweeney's staff measuring all the pros and cons. Both Arneil and Caron survived poor coaching in Providence, and may very well be additions to the bruins. Knight and Spooner, plus all the other 20/21/22 year olds willbe weighed against their capability to play with bigger, stronger men. All of Chiarelli's picks this year are 18 or younger, except the goalie, so he is trying to establish a steady stream that includes physical development as well as hockey skills. Sauve apparently has extra speed and a great shot, but, needs some meat on his bones; Caron is just about ready in all areas of skill and strength; Arneil is probably on the borderline; and Knight and Spooner might make Providence, but , another year of juniors will help their physical growth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

NAS, for three years I couldn't figure out what was wrong with Brad Marchand.

After a fine junior career and excellent international experience, I thought: what was he doing in Providence?

I heard an interview with Chiarelli where he outlined Marchand's problem. He was doing all things he was doing in junior but it wasn't working for him. Until this year. He didn't give up, he kept working at it and it came.

From what I know of Jared Knight, he won't quit either. Nothing has ever come easy for him. One day he will get it, too.

Ryan Spooner, though I think is a different story. He has all the talent, but things come easy for him and if it doesn't work, I don't know if he will put in the extra effort. He did jump ship in Peterborough, this year, when the going got tough for him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with the premise of the OP, in that I would be very happy if either Knight or Spooner show enough this year to make the Providence roster.

As for Boston, there are now 12 NHL forwards signed up, so any competition is for the 13th forward 'luxury box' spot or to cover injuries.  For those positions I am partial to the guys with AHL experience -- Caron, Sauve, Arniel, Hamill -- we know a lot more about them and have a confidence level that they can fill in.

None of the current prospects seem good enough to be considered for an NHL job without demonstrating that they belong as top-6 forwards in Providence first.  Only Seguin and Lucic have skipped that step in the past few years.  Take the 4 guys mentioned above along with Whitfield, Camper, Cunningham, McDermid, etc., and making the top-6 in Providence is no easy task.

I think the odds are that Knight and Spooner are back in junior for another year, and probably for the best.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Spooner looked pretty good in training camp last season

Sections
Shortcuts