Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knights/2011/07/21/18453036.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump

At the Develeopment camp, his father said that they are having specially made hockey pants so that he can play with it.

The pump is inserted into the side of the abdomen and remains there until the dosages run out. Then they remove, refill and re-insert.

His father was a bit grossed out at the procedure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump:
    [QUOTE]At the Develeopment camp, his father said that they are having specially made hockey pants so that he can play with it. The pump is inserted into the side of the abdomen and remains there until the dosages run out. Then they remove, refill and re-insert. His father was a bit grossed out at the procedure.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Hey Wheat, he says in the article that other diabetics say it's the way to go. I'm wondering if there are others in the NHL who have had this done , who they are and how they are making out playing with the pump ?

It's amazing what they can do nowadays .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : Hey Wheat, he says in the article that other diabetics say it's the way to go. I'm wondering if there are others in the NHL who have had this done , who they are and how they are making out playing with the pump ? It's amazing what they can do nowadays .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

From what his father was telling me, no-one in any contact sport has been outfitted. I believe some marathoners, triathletes and tennis players so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : From what his father was telling me, no-one in any contact sport has been outfitted. I believe some marathoners, triathletes and tennis players so far.

Sounds like he is a trailblazer in this procedure then regarding playing contact sports with it. Let's hope it works for him and it is properly protected. By the sounds of the interview he still is having some issues with the way he feels because of the diabetes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Tie Domi's kid, who recently signed on with the Knights, is also diabetic and will be following Jared's progress. He'll be looking to get outfitted, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Tie Domi's kid, who recently signed on with the Knights, is also diabetic and will be following Jared's progress. He'll be looking to get outfitted, too.

I don't know if this is the type of pump he is being fitted with but I found this on Youtube. Looks pretty simple and should be easy to protect .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfG4-YMu0Vo&feature=related

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : I don't know if this is the type of pump he is being fitted with but I found this on Youtube. Looks pretty simple and should be easy to protect . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfG4-YMu0Vo&feature=related

Yikes.  I wouldn't call that easy to protect, what if something happens that the needle gets broken.  And what is the other end of the thing, it must be some kind of container.

Then again, if Bobby Clarke did it...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re:  Then again, if Bobby Clarke did it...
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I don't think Bobby Clarke played with a gadget.  I don't believe they were around then.  He was probably taking shots between periods or at certain times of need.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : I don't think Bobby Clarke played with a gadget.  I don't believe they were around then.  He was probably taking shots between periods or at certain times of need.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Right, I misstated that, disregard gadgetry, I meant if Bobby Clarke could play at that level with diabetes, so might Knight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Wasn't Nick Boynton diabetic?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Wasn't Nick Boynton diabetic?  
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

I'd answer yes
    http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2004/12/01/4121/nhls-boynton-scores-on-diabetes-control-/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : Yikes.  I wouldn't call that easy to protect, what if something happens that the needle gets broken.  And what is the other end of the thing, it must be some kind of container. Then again, if Bobby Clarke did it...
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I imagine that today's hockey pants are more protective then the Cooperalls you play with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : I imagine that today's hockey pants are more protective then the Cooperalls you play with.

My Cooperalls don't fit anymore.
    I wish they would make hockey pants so they don't shrink.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

That's a real challenge. The baseball guy had the pump behind his back, and zero contact. However, we continue to see medical marvels, and should acknowledge how important these creative doctors, or medical terchnicians, have become. Goos luck to Jared, his game is not very passive.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

My nephew played college football and uses an insulin pump.  However, he did not play with the pump.  There is only a small needle (the port) that stays in.  If needed, he would re-connect the pump to the port at half time.  Based on my experience with my Nephew, he lived with me for a summer, I don't think that Jared will actually wear the pump while playing, he will be able to adjust during intermissions.  I can tell you from experience that regulating diabetes is a very difficult job, even with the pump.  Even if you do everything the doctors tell you to do, you can still become out of whack with sugar levels.  Good Luck Jared.  I know that living with diabetes is a 24/7 job!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Teammate of mine that I played basketball with in highschool (2000-2003) wore one during games.  Never heard any griping of taking a hit to the pump or the area but it had a case like one you would put an ipod in to take to the gym.  Prior to that the kid always had a section of his bag dedicated to candy/gatorade/water/crackers and then insulin depending on what his levels were.  Was a pain for him to regulate, the pump made his life a lot easier.  I would imagine there will be a way for them to work this into equipment.  These pumps have been downsized a bit and are more thin than they used to be.  If its not game safe maybe its sometime he wears during practice, pregame skates, warmups but then removes it for game time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

Last year my Son was mentored by Anthony Ast (Giants draft pick and JDRF Jr spokesman who addressed the NHL awards last year). My Son is Type 1 and plays with his pump.

He wears it in a padded balistic nylon case that is threaded through the draw strings of his pants. It hangs just above his cup.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Knight being outfitted with a diabetic insulin pump : From what his father was telling me, no-one in any contact sport has been outfitted. I believe some marathoners, triathletes and tennis players so far.

a friend of mine played in the CFL and knows Kelly Bates (former Roughrider) who played lineman with his pump. I think he was the first to play with it (he had to get league approval to wear it under his equipment).

This is a topic I unfortunately know too much about.

Bruins connections wise, when we met Ast at the Giants camp he introduced us to Cunningham (B's prospect) who was at a prospects camp with Knight.

Cunningham explained to my son how well the Bruins medical staff treated Knight. He got one on one attention and training how to play with type 1.

Sections
Shortcuts