Knuckles & Whitey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Knuckles & Whitey

Some pretty crazy stuff about the relationship between Chris Nilan and recently convicted Whitey Bulger.  Apparently, Whitey has a copy of the 1986 Habs Cup ring that he wishes to keep as it was "gifted" to him.

Chris Nilan and Whitey Bulger pose with the Stanley Cup in 1986. (WBZ-TV I-Team photo)

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/13/chris-nilan-whitey-bulger-didnt-get-stanley-cup-ring-from-me/

Whitey with a Habs ring seems like a good fit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Knuckles & Whitey

More on this.

Canadiens 1986 Stanley Cup ring (Photo: TSN.ca)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=429681

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Nilan and Whitey are cut from the same cloth.  

I don't know what kind of self-respecting B's fan clings to a Montreal Cup ring anyhow.  I would have sold it to some Pierre Ledeuche in Montreal two decades ago.

He was a rat with no loyalty in the sports world too...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I've dealt with Nilan on a couple of occasions. It's like talking to a sixth grader with an attitude. Typical Southie rat.

http://www.patriotledger.com/answerbook/braintree/x1373174392/Former-NHL-player-Chris-Nilan-arrested-at-South-Shore-Plaza

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Two losers

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Nilan was married to the daughter of Teresa Stanley, and Teresa Stanley was Whitey's girlfriend (the previous girlfriend, not the one he was caught with)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wow, lots of hatred for Nilan.  He was dirty, but for the day he played, he wasn't the 1983 version of Chris Simon.  As for his loyalty, he was a Canadien and still identifies with that team.  Yeah, he got pretty fouled up with substance abuse, but I don't hate him for it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hate is a strong word.  I don't hate him.  But he was awfully dirty.  The cheapshot on Middleton and a similar cheapshot that broke Bobby Holik's jaw always stand out to me.  Then he turns into a junkie and a petty thief after his career.  Not too impressive.  And in the context of this (chuming it up with that scum Whitey Bulger), I'd say "two losers" is a pretty fair assessment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's not like he was just hanging out with a random bad guy.

It's Bulger.  And it was his wife's defacto father-in-law.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Who cares?  They have zero impact on any of our lives. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Hate is a strong word.  I don't hate him.  But he was awfully dirty.  The cheapshot on Middleton and a similar cheapshot that broke Bobby Holik's jaw always stand out to me.  Then he turns into a junkie and a petty thief after his career.  Not too impressive.  And in the context of this (chuming it up with that scum Whitey Bulger), I'd say "two losers" is a pretty fair assessment.

The butt-end to Middleton's chops was brutal. 

If I remember correctly, the hit on Holik was when he was a Whaler, crazy game.  Very bad hit, could have called about 5 different penalties on that play.  I was at that game, it was retaliation for an Ed Kastelic cheap-shot on Janney.  A real-life example of "you run our soft guy, I will run yours", old-time cheap-shot.

I hated Nilan as a Hab, but appreciated him as Bruin.  Typical "laundry" reasoning on my end.  Like 80 games in a B's jersey should make up for the 500 games as a dirty Hab.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Who cares?  They have zero impact on any of our lives.

None of them do, Hang.  Very little in life actually does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

The butt-end to Middleton's chops was brutal

I hated Nilan as a Hab, but appreciated him as Bruin.  Typical "laundry" reasoning on my end.  Like 80 games in a B's jersey should make up for the 500 games as a dirty Hab.

A dirty scum!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If I remember correctly, the hit on Holik was when he was a Whaler, crazy game.  Very bad hit, could have called about 5 different penalties on that play.  I was at that game, it was retaliation for an Ed Kastelic cheap-shot on Janney.  A real-life example of "you run our soft guy, I will run yours", old-time cheap-shot.

Yes, that's about how I remember it, except that Holik was a rookie who had nothing to do with the play.  Instead of fighting him or someone else, Nilan cheaped him from the blindside and broke his jaw.  I think Holik was 19 years old.  I think we all forgive that one because Nilan did it in a Bruin jersey during a heated rivalry game, and it was retaliation for a Whaler cheap-shot.  But still, it was a filthy play.  Probably a 25 game suspension by today's standards.  That's cool you were at that game Crowls -- in Hartford or Boston?...can't remember...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Not to change the subject, but I've always felt Dale Hunter was the dirtiest player I've seen. Do you guys think Nilan was worse?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Yes, that's about how I remember it, except that Holik was a rookie who had nothing to do with the play.  Instead of fighting him or someone else, Nilan cheaped him from the blindside and broke his jaw.  I think Holik was 19 years old.  I think we all forgive that one because Nilan did it in a Bruin jersey during a heated rivalry game, and it was retaliation for a Whaler cheap-shot.  But still, it was a filthy play.  Probably a 25 game suspension by today's standards.  That's cool you were at that game Crowls -- in Hartford or Boston?...can't remember...

That game was at the Garden.  Can't remember all the details, think it was the same game Neely went with Ulfie and Byers/Milbury got suspended when LB stepped onto the ice between the benches.

Here are some of the details.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/12/15/2637182/this-week-in-bruins-history-bruins-sink-whalers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not to change the subject, but I've always felt Dale Hunter was the dirtiest player I've seen. Do you guys think Nilan was worse?

No, I think you're probably right, along with a few others.  Hunter was horrible.  He'd have been kicked out of the league if he played that way today (instead of having his number retired...)  Others that come to mind for me are Bryan Marchment, Ulfie, Bobby Clarke, Chris Simon, and Cooke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

That game was at the Garden.  Can't remember all the details, think it was the same game Neely went with Ulfie and Byers/Milbury got suspended when LB stepped onto the ice between the benches.

Here are some of the details.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2011/12/15/2637182/this-week-in-bruins-history-bruins-sink-whalers

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.  I can't ever seem to find video or reference to that game, or the actual Nilan hit.  I remember it, but as we all know, a 25 year old memory can get pretty dicey after all this time (was Pheobe Cates topless in the front row at that game too?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

never liked Nilan. he was a good defensive fighter. I remember when he punched oreilly in the face. Terry wasn't expecting it. nilan was a dirty scoundrel, with his demeanor I'm not surprised he turned to drugs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

No, I think you're probably right, along with a few others.  Hunter was horrible.  He'd have been kicked out of the league if he played that way today (instead of having his number retired...)  Others that come to mind for me are Bryan Marchment, Ulfie, Bobby Clarke, Chris Simon, and Cooke.

ken linseman. tiger williams. jimmy mann, chris chelios, 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Chelios is an interesting mention.  I never thought he was that bad, but I do remember a game against Hartford where he literally fought off a linesmen after one fight so that he could sucker Adam Burt while Burt was fighting someone else.  Bet it would be a 20 game suspension by today's standards.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd put Claude Lemieux up there with the rest of the dirty ones.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hated Chelios, but don't think he was dirty, just more of a puzzy.  A little like Subban in that he will not tustle with any big guys, but will go with a small player.  Think Subban vs Marchand, when he wants no part Lucic.  I saw one night where Neely wanted Chelios, he passed and ended up going  with both Kasper and Burridge.

Dirtiest guys all-time have to be Cooke and Ulfie.  When you end a guys career, that ought to vault you to the top of the list.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Chelios, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgzFXlWnx0

Instigating fights when a bunch of non-fighters are on the ice? Check

Sucker punch on a guy who still has his gloves on? Check

Driving punches into a guy who's already down while the refs are holding him? Check

Fighting off a linesmen to sucker a 2nd guy, who's arms are being held by a teammate? Check

Preening for the crowd and benches afterwards, as if what you just did wasn't totally cowardly? Double check

Not. Too. Impressive.

Sections
Shortcuts