KoKo AHL Player of the Week

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

KoKo AHL Player of the Week

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2014/3/11/5493222/alexander-khokhlachev-ccm-ahl-player-of-the-week-providence-bruins

Pretty good article...

Providence Coach Bruce Cassidy had some positive things to say about Khokhlachev (and Seth Griffith) after Sunday's win. From Mark Divver's P-Bruins Journal:

"They’re creative guys and they’re hungry...They compete for pucks even though they’re not heavy guys. Koko’s goal (on Saturday) was a shot and a rebound. He out-willed two guys to get it in. He’s got a little Zach Parise in him around the net, a smaller guy who really has a good nose for the net...With Koko, you just have to keep him in check with his play away from the puck...

"I think it took Koko a while to understand what was happening here, what we’re trying to do, what his timeline was. Everybody wants to get out of this room and into the (Boston) room. We all get it.  But that‘s a Stanley Cup lineup you’re trying to crack. It’s not just a matter of having a good month. I think they’re starting to understand that... 

"The thing I like about Koko, as a centerman he’s a high plus (plus-13) player. Even though there are some deficiencies in his game, he’s valuing his play away from the puck, and not getting scored on, more than he did at the start of the year. He’s understanding the way the Bruins play a little more."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Re: KoKo AHL Player of the Week

I knew this was inevitable and only a matter of time with this kid. i saw him play in Bridgeport a few weeks back and he was really moving well out there. he stood out for sure. certainly glad PC didn't deal this player.

Man this Bruins team is deep! Spooner and Khokhlachev would be 2nd liners on some teams out there right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Good post, Chappy. And Prov. Bruin player of the Month!

Nice to see Khokhlachev progressing. Seen him play a few times now and always noticed something he did that was impressive. Not AHL impressive but NHL impressive. He just seems to need to put it all together more consistently and it seems like he's getting there now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Another one of the Bruins top flight prospects worth mentioning who also seems to be turning the learning curve in Providence of late is Malcom Subban. he's been hot. all is going pretty well in Proidence these days. kudos to Bruce Cassidy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Great news for PC and the cap next season. Both Spooner and KoKo will have to find a way to stay at 195LBs, or close, to stay effective in the NHL. 175-185LBs is just tough to cut it these days. There are the waterbugs execption like Zuccarello, Marchand and Ennis. But those examples are supa quick and elusive. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I like Cassidy's remark about how the B's play.That says alot about the players the Bruins management decide to keep and the ones they trade away.Koko is starting to get that. As Cassidy says "He's undestanding the way the Bruins play a little more", thats really what its all about. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great news for PC and the cap next season. Both Spooner and KoKo will have to find a way to stay at 195LBs, or close, to stay effective in the NHL. 175-185LBs is just tough to cut it these days. There are the waterbugs execption like Zuccarello, Marchand and Ennis. But those examples are supa quick and elusive. 

[/QUOTE]

Krejci was light coming up and turned out to be argubly way better than good. another 12 to 24 months and another 10 or 15lbs and both are good to go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hard to teach maturity, right?  Good to think he's getting there - but let's be honest, he's player of the week because he had 9 points in 3 games.  I haven't seen him in ages, but I'm going to play the notes of caution - lots of very good AHL scorers who do NHL impressive things have their challenges in the NHL.  Latest example - Corey Conacher.

The thing that gives me the most hope here is that Khokhlachev is learning "how the Bruins do things."  We talk a lot about players needing to find the right opportunity, and I wonder how much of that is simply players developing their own games rather than trying to do that AND tailor the way they play to the system they're in.  Or worse, you get a guy who's a great scorer in the A who thinks it's just a matter of time before someone who wants him to be a great scorer in the NHL asks for him in trade, so why worry about cracking the lineup in the system that brought you up?

I can envision this happening with guys like Hamilton who are such great offensive players but who still have defensive lapses being told to cool it with the rushes and bang it off the glass.  The equivalent of "you don't bunt your way off the island".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

The entire article is worth a read.  I've been watching out for this kid based on his high scoring OHL times and this is the first article that goes deeper than a couple of paragraphs.  Some interesting stuff on the "fancy stats" part that places Koko as Providence's best player....just stats, but interesting to see him ahead of Spooner on that list.

The thing for me that sets him apart from Spooner is that he can score goals too, and goes to the "dirty" areas.  With Soderberg claiming his spot (deservedly) as our 3rd line center for next year at least, it seems Koko could play some wing while Spooner may become the more likely traid bait --- I mean there is only so long we can keep Spoons in the AHL, and I don't think he is cut out for wing given his Seguin-like fear of physical contact

Either way, it seems we have not one, but two quality future top 6 players in Providence which is good for the Bruins

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hard to teach maturity, right?  Good to think he's getting there - but let's be honest, he's player of the week because he had 9 points in 3 games.  I haven't seen him in ages, but I'm going to play the notes of caution - lots of very good AHL scorers who do NHL impressive things have their challenges in the NHL.  Latest example - Corey Conacher.

The thing that gives me the most hope here is that Khokhlachev is learning "how the Bruins do things."  We talk a lot about players needing to find the right opportunity, and I wonder how much of that is simply players developing their own games rather than trying to do that AND tailor the way they play to the system they're in.  Or worse, you get a guy who's a great scorer in the A who thinks it's just a matter of time before someone who wants him to be a great scorer in the NHL asks for him in trade, so why worry about cracking the lineup in the system that brought you up?

I can envision this happening with guys like Hamilton who are such great offensive players but who still have defensive lapses being told to cool it with the rushes and bang it off the glass.  The equivalent of "you don't bunt your way off the island".

[/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like Matt Fraser --- scores a ton of goals but is at the bottom of the team in terms of +/-.  If he could play some D, I bet he would have gotten a legit shot by now (the Bruins actually gave him a shot, but not a lot happened)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

50 - great minds....

Off topic a little, but I'm very curious to see what happens with Griffith.  He's a longshot because he's one of those guys who doesn't do anything "++".  Good shooter, and always seemed to be that guy who could get good shots even if he wasn't perfectly set up, if you know what I mean?  I wondered if he would get very far in the AHL because I expected him to be behind guys like Knight, Sweethands, and maybe Fallstrom and Lindblad. Now that line is the top line with Sweethands and Fraser battling injuries and Spooner just getting back up to speed after the flu.  I can see a path where a guy like Griffith ends up on the roster and just doesn't let them send him back down.  Longshot, but you just never know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's it, Chappy.  It's sort of an "order of operations" question.

1. Can you play the system?

2. If yes, can you score goals while playing the system?

NOT

1. Score goals.

2. Play the system.

There are very few Bure's in the world who are so adept at blowing the zone for a breakaway that you just don't care that much if they know what's below the defensive circles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Its good to see the boys learning and improving.

However, there won't be a roster spot for them for at least 5 years, with Krejci, Bergeron and Soderberg. Playing on the wing is not an option, as Seguin and Soderberg both proved.

Methinks they will be good trade bait to bolster the team at other positions. All the best to them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Got to see KoKo first hand for 2 1/2 season when he was with the Spitfires.

Many highlight reel plays as offensive was never a problem for him.  Too many times however his defense was nowhere to be found and he was benched at times for a period or more.

If he can get his total game together he can be a very good player in the NHL one day.  Don't know if he's at that point in his career now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chappy28's comment:[QUOTE] Or worse, you get a guy who's a great scorer in the A who thinks it's just a matter of time before someone who wants him to be a great scorer in the NHL asks for him in trade, so why worry about cracking the lineup in the system that brought you up? [/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like Matt Fraser --- scores a ton of goals but is at the bottom of the team in terms of +/-.  If he could play some D, I bet he would have gotten a legit shot by now (the Bruins actually gave him a shot, but not a lot happened) [/QUOTE]

Smith crushes it along the boards, positioning and one on battles in the NHL. This was not the case in Austin, Dallas's farm club, last year when viewing both players many times.

Curious if Smith just went out n worked harder during the summer of 2013. The change in Smith is obviously significant as we can see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He'll look good with Bartkowski on (fill in team) next season after Chiarelli finally completes a deal he's been working on for over a year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'd be curious to see him play.  Last I saw him in the Sept-Dec time frame I didn't like the way he was playing or developing.  Seems like something changed since that time frame.  I'd be curious to know if anyone has been watching him right along and noticed any change in this time frame.

Sections
Shortcuts