Kovalev Hangs up the Skates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Kovalev Hangs up the Skates

Kovalev has decided that it is finally time to retire:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418798

If I could sum up his career it would be one of wasted talent. Few had the skills he did but he just did not put out on a consistent basis.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Kovalev Hangs up the Skates

Disgusting moves, incredible strength, awesome skater, all-world talent. Why it never translated into more success is anyones guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yep, he reminded me of the 80's Petr Klima (albeit, with more talent). Klima would deke through a whole team and put it top shelf.....once every 10 games that is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Hes loaded and has a cup ring and was a major contributor during that run..  If he had a heart he likely goes down as one of the best ever.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

430 goals, 599 assists, #70 overall in points.

No shoulda or woulda or coulda.  Superstar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

430 goals, 599 assists, #70 overall in points.

No shoulda or woulda or coulda.  Superstar.

Star, anyway. It's tough to be too overly critical of a player who lasted 19 years, is 50th all-time in games played and 70th in points. Anyone who can crack the top 100 in those categories has had a heck of a career. Maybe he wasn't as hard a worker as some players, but obviously he worked harder than tonnes of other players that have come down the pipe - you don't have those numbers or longevity ONLY on talent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Over 1300 games and just over 1000 points is hardly superstar status. Had he thrown in a few more seasons like he had from time to time then maybe. The guy just seemed to be disinterested for long stretches. He sort of looked like a guy playing shinny who is the best player on the ice but because it's shinny he doesn't want to show off. He'll do something spectacular once in a while but cruises around like it's public skating most of the time.

Very good player overall, exceptional at times but also underperformed too often to be great even though he clearly had plenty of talent and the skills to be great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The guy is 70th overall in the history of the NHL scoring, but he's not a superstar because you didn't like the way he played.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The guy is 70th overall in the history of the NHL scoring, but he's not a superstar because you didn't like the way he played.

Lots of people don't like the way he played.

It is a valid point, he did take quite a few nights off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I loved the way he played. About every other season or so or every 4th night otherwise. Well under a point per game for his career, never elevated it in the playoffs. IMO he was a superstar for a few of his seasons but definitely not for his career. 70th in scoring with 19 or 20 seasons to get there? Sorry, I can't label him a superstar. he missed it by THIS much!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

easily one of the most talented players to ever play, he had it all, size, speed, hands, shot.. you name it, it was awesome to watch the penguin powerplay when he was there with Mario and co.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Lots of people don't like the way he played.

It is a valid point, he did take quite a few nights off.

I'm sure allot of fans didn't like the way Bucyk or Lindsay played but for a time they were considered at the top. I didn't like allot of the whining n crying Mario did but he was the best player I ever saw.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

67th all time in goals

76th all time in assists

70th all time in points

50th all time in games played

Taking 19 seasons to get there isn't a black mark.  Playing 19 seasons and 1,301 games is a feat in itself.

"He should have had more points" and/or "He should have been more dominant" doesn't take away from his accomplishments.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

Always reminded me of a player with the same number, the big M, had so much talent but not the work ethic of his younger brother Pete.

That's Frank Mahovlich for the youngsters, too bad he played also with the stinking shabs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

67th all time in goals

76th all time in assists

70th all time in points

Taking 19 seasons to get there isn't a black mark.  Playing 19 seasons and 1,301 games is a feat in itself.

"He should have had more points" and/or "He should have been more dominant" doesn't take away from his accomplishments.

NAS, I agree with all of that. I just don't think it equates to "superstar" .

Cheers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Stats can say a lot and can be debated back and forth. All I know is that when he was on the ice vs Bruins -- he scared the hell out of me 100% of the time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

For a guy with all world talent, all world skills, he sure was frustrating to watch, which seems odd when you think about it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

67th all time in goals

76th all time in assists

70th all time in points

Totally agree with his accomplishemnts, and someone who never saw him play may look at those 20 years from now and think he must have been a really good player. They'd be correct. But I look at those numbers and wonder what they would be like if he, and i hate this term, played with a higher compete level on a more regualar basis. i think the fact that he accmplished all those numbers says how talented he was.

Superstar numbers, all-world talent. no queston about it. He'd dominate a game one day and then you'd have to check him for a pulse the next one. Imagine what those numbers would be if he ever had that drive. I agree with Shupe, could have been one of the best ever. Those numbers as good as they are, should have been alot better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://youtu.be/XQQyanpFnPQ

Some of his best goals.  Some serious skills on display.

Sections
Shortcuts