Kovalev weighs in on Subban

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Kovalev weighs in on Subban

He said some comments that I'm sure some people would agree with here, but while reading it I was thinking what his career would have looked like if he played with 50% of Subbans passion. All-world talent who too much of the time looked disinterested.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459761" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459761

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Kovalev weighs in on Subban

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He said some comments that I'm sure some people would agree with here, but while reading it I was thinking what his career would have looked like if he played with 50% of Subbans passion. All-world talent who too much of the time looked disinterested.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459761" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459761" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459761

[/QUOTE]

As I mentioned 50 kel. He was one of the most talented, but laziest hockey players I ever seen. I find it hilarious for someone of his ilk to be saying anything negative about anyone! He could've won the scoring race every year if he would've played to his abilities.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I still remember Gainey giving Kovalev a night off, during his last year in Montreal, and stating to the media "it's for personel reasons". Yah clean your head gear out and start playing like you care meathead!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Kovalev was a well above average player, but I think his lore is beyond his ability. Of course, it's all guesswork in the end. He was talented but lazy, yes, but I don't think his talent eclipsed that of Jagr and those guys.

I don't mind him weighing in on Subban. Obviously someone asked him about it, so he responded. It's not like he's Mike Wallace doing his weekly segment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't mind him weighing in on Subban. Obviously someone asked him about it, so he responded. It's not like he's Mike Wallace doing his weekly segment.

[/QUOTE]

Yes he was asked about it...................but considering the well known inadequacies he had in his game..............he should have been a little more diplomatic in his answer.

Criticism directed at someone else's game coming from one who would have made the all-time NHL first team in laziness ?

A ridiculous, WTF, hypocritical, head scratching, replying interview !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yep!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitch19. Show nitch19's posts

Here'd be me being asked about Subban:

Interviewer:  "So, what do you think of P.K. Subban's game?"

Me:  "Umm, I don't.  One of the biggest gutless pukes in the game.  No credit."

End of interview.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

As dumb or unwarranted as it may be, the guy was asked and gave his opinion. No big deal. I also think the Subban he knew is not exactly the same guy that just got a baskillion $. The punk has matured a bit.

Speaking of opinions....here's mine on Kovalev as a player. Uber talented but his head wasn't on straight at all times. I don't think he was physically lazy. It's about attitude. Some days he had a competitive attitude and other days he'd be blasé about it. Seems to be a somewhat common Russian affliction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As dumb or unwarranted as it may be, the guy was asked and gave his opinion. No big deal.  

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they asked him his opinion and he gave it. They didn't ask him if he thought PK was as lazy as him when he played, they asked him about his $9 mil contract and he gave his answer,who cares, he didn't give a Montreal Canadian bag sniffing answer that all Scab fans wanted to hear, like "he's the greatest defence man in the NHL right now and i can't believe they signed him for $ 9 mil a year,what a steal!". Really,big deal,so he doesn't think PK is worth the money,well neither do i but nobody asked me and i was never as good a hockey player as Kovalev.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As dumb or unwarranted as it may be, the guy was asked and gave his opinion. No big deal.  

Exactly, they asked him his opinion and he gave it. They didn't ask him if he thought PK was as lazy as him when he played, they asked him about his $9 mil contract and he gave his answer,who cares, he didn't give a Montreal Canadian bag sniffing answer that all Scab fans wanted to hear, like "he's the greatest defence man in the NHL right now and i can't believe they signed him for $ 9 mil a year,what a steal!". Really,big deal,so he doesn't think PK is worth the money,well neither do i but nobody asked me and i was never as good a hockey player as Kovalev.

[/QUOTE]

lol. I feel like "Montreal Bag Sniffer" should somehow be on a t-shirt for scab fans :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

You kinda cringe to hear Kovalev weighing in on other players shortcomings, but he certainly has right to his opinion, and I think that on some level I agree with it.  I'm not baffled by the contract at all, but I do agree with the concern the observation that Subban is risky and isn't the best positional defensemen.  I don't think he's among the most valuable D-men in the league, yet, but I also just watched him work the Bruins over in the playoffs and I think Montreal pretty much had to do what they did (if they wanted to keep him long term).  

I can't remember who said it, but some verteran came to the Rangers during the twilight of Kovalev's career, and said that he never realized how talented he was.  Said he was the most talented player in the league.  I remember it reading as kind of a dig -- like 'you'd be shocked at how talented this guy really is, but it's hard to tell from the games you've been watching".

I'll always remember one sequence with Kovalev where Darcy Tucker caught him with an elbow to the head while skating by.  After pausing to stop to hold his head for a second, Kovalev retrieved the puck, curled back around the zone looking for Tucker, weaved his way through the other players, carrying the puck, chipped the puck into Tucker's feet, and then hammered him.  It was remarkable.  Made me realize two things: 1. he was so insanely talented that he could carry the puck around the ice like nobody else was out there in seeking, and destroying Tucker (who carries the puck with them to seek revenge?); and 2. he was so selfish and disengaged from the game that he would literally take a break from the game, and forget about scoring or his teammates, just to settle a minor personal score with Tucker.

Someone find the clip...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to -Chowda-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Yes he was asked about it...................but considering the well known inadequacies he had in his game..............he should have been a little more diplomatic in his answer.

Criticism directed at someone else's game coming from one who would have made the all-time NHL first team in laziness ?

A ridiculous, WTF, hypocritical, head scratching, replying interview !

[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. And regardless of what NAS says. He could've been one of the all time greats had he applied his trade on a nightly basis. And as someone else said. It's seems to be a common thing with Russians. They get their nose outta joint & it's always someone else's fault as to why they didn't, couldn't, or wouldn't perform. I realize he was asked a direct question & he gave an honest answer, but it still doesn't change the hilarity of his response. If this was coming from a Terry O'Reilly, Ray Bourque, or Steve Yzerman it would be a lot different. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

You kinda cringe to hear Kovalev weighing in on other players shortcomings, but he certainly has right to his opinion, and I think that on some level I agree with it.  I'm not baffled by the contract at all, but I do agree with the concern the observation that Subban is risky and isn't the best positional defensemen.  I don't think he's among the most valuable D-men in the league, yet, but I also just watched him work the Bruins over in the playoffs and I think Montreal pretty much had to do what they did (if they wanted to keep him long term).  

I can't remember who said it, but some verteran came to the Rangers during the twilight of Kovalev's career, and said that he never realized how talented he was.  Said he was the most talented player in the league.  I remember it reading as kind of a dig -- like 'you'd be shocked at how talented this guy really is, but it's hard to tell from the games you've been watching".

I'll always remember one sequence with Kovalev where Darcy Tucker caught him with an elbow to the head while skating by.  After pausing to stop to hold his head for a second, Kovalev retrieved the puck, curled back around the zone looking for Tucker, weaved his way through the other players, carrying the puck, chipped the puck into Tucker's feet, and then hammered him.  It was remarkable.  Made me realize two things: 1. he was so insanely talented that he could carry the puck around the ice like nobody else was out there in seeking, and destroying Tucker (who carries the puck with them to seek revenge?); and 2. he was so selfish and disengaged from the game that he would literally take a break from the game, and forget about scoring or his teammates, just to settle a minor personal score with Tucker.

Someone find the clip...

I remember that play Fletch. I believe it even got the Hi-light of the week when it happened. And I believe the Ranger you're referring to is Steve Larmer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to nitch19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here'd be me being asked about Subban:

Interviewer:  "So, what do you think of P.K. Subban's game?"

Me:  "Umm, I don't.  One of the biggest gutless pukes in the game.  No credit."

End of interview.

[/QUOTE]

And Crosby is the whiniest. Doesn't diminish his talents though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

for fletch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCjBppqZFP4

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That was fun.

It was also a reminder that when the term "gutless pyuke" is being used on a thread, it really should mean that someone will bring up Darcy Tucker in the next 5 posts or less.

Are you not entertained?!?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE] 

lol. I feel like "Montreal Bag Sniffer" should somehow be on a t-shirt for scab fans :P [/QUOTE]

Vick's Vapor nor Fabreze can cure that. 

@BsLegion lets get WLH some PK, doing the turtle, and a toilet seat around his neck. Make him feel like a Cyber Bruin again LoL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Just because Kovalev was how he was it doesn't mean he can't give an opinion as a hockey fan.. especially when he is right.  PlusI like Kovi just because of the elbow he gave tucker back in the day. One of the best all round plays ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3CcEOH6W0A

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Tucker's elbow on that play looks so egregious in this era of inquisition level scrutiny on head shots, you almost have to sit back and applaud Kovalev.  I would love to have seen Kovalev back that hit up with a few solid rights to Tucker's beak.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I remember that play Fletch. I believe it even got the Hi-light of the week when it happened. And I believe the Ranger you're referring to is Steve Larmer.

[/QUOTE]

I think you're right!

Thanks for the clip Davey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tucker's elbow on that play looks so egregious in this era of inquisition level scrutiny on head shots, you almost have to sit back and applaud Kovalev.  I would love to have seen Kovalev back that hit up with a few solid rights to Tucker's beak.

[/QUOTE]

I know, and that's part of that makes it so odd and interesting.  First, he doesn't throw down the gloves and attack. He collects the puck, veers out of traffic, and circles back to line up Tucker.  Even his act of violence and retribution is mostly finesse (although I doubt it felt that way to Tucker).  Then he stands there looking almost indifferent when Tucker comes back after him.  Tucker is dazed, flailing, smaller --- hit him Kovie!  Nah, he's done.

There is so much in that clip to digest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Got to hand it to Kovalev, that was the most skilled elbow to the head i have ever seen, bravo good sir!! 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to mattbs' comment:[QUOTE] Just because Kovalev was how he was it doesn't mean he can't give an opinion as a hockey fan.. especially when he is right.  [/QUOTE]

Yah except the opinion of an un-respected fellow co-worker, who doesn't work real hard, on work habits, demeanor and class.

Where's that company at ?

Like Dave "the Hammer" Shultz writing a book against violence after he retires. It matters who's giving the opinion all day long.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Being a smart hockey person...................has " what NAS says " swayed your common sense thinking with anything hockey related ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Chowda-. Show -Chowda-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That was fun.

It was also a reminder that when the term "gutless pyuke" is being used on a thread, it really should mean that someone will bring up Darcy Tucker in the next 5 posts or less.

[/QUOTE]

Here I'll oblige. 

Darcy Tucker. Yes there is a "Side Show Bob" in the BDC crowd.