KPD on hitting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

KPD on hitting

"Kevin Paul Dupont ‏ @GlobeKPD Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Neil hit on Boyle would be great talking point for players/owners/GMs this summer. Fine line: legal and predatory and excessive force.

What exactly does he want? What is there to talk about? For players to text each other before games asking if it's alright to play physical? If your gonna make that hit illegal then hockey becomes a no contact sport. And then he says last week, "Backstrom cross-check to Peverley's face isn't even on my radar."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: KPD on hitting

I don't think he's suggesting answers....just that there needs to be better discussion on legal hits versus excessive force.

Some fans think it's one or the other...if a hit is legal by the letter of the law, then it's fine. Others think there needs to be a better understanding that predatory hits needs to leave the game because bigger, faster, more armored players can do more damage than they used to in the past.

With injuries up, no doubt they need to keep talking about it and figure something out. The whole "taking contact out of the sport" is bogus and you know it. Stop being such a drama llama. Guys are getting careers ended and a much higher clip, and something needs to be done. Hopefully folks with more experience and greater understanding of the game than you and I will take an honest look at it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

I never claimed to have all the answers. All I know is the main reason I've been attracted to hockey since I was 5 years old is the physical nature, or I guess you could say violence. And what is there to understand other than these guys make hundreds of thousands if not millions to play this game, and they've been playing it their whole lives, so they're well aware of the risks. Life is a risk. Maybe they should suspend death for 25 "games."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: KPD on hitting:
    [QUOTE]I don't think he's suggesting answers....just that there needs to be better discussion on legal hits versus excessive force. Some fans think it's one or the other...if a hit is legal by the letter of the law, then it's fine. Others think there needs to be a better understanding that predatory hits needs to leave the game because bigger, faster, more armored players can do more damage than they used to in the past. With injuries up, no doubt they need to keep talking about it and figure something out. The whole "taking contact out of the sport" is bogus and you know it. Stop being such a drama llama. Guys are getting careers ended and a much higher clip, and something needs to be done. Hopefully folks with more experience and greater understanding of the game than you and I will take an honest look at it.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Of course they will not take hitting out of the game, but you are right about the bigger, faster, armor-wearing players of today and the injuries. I think the league would like to see the violent but legal hits reduced but who knows how you legislate something like that. maybe they are hoping to muddy the waters on what is a legal hit and what is not to the point that everyone plays it safe with their checks. If that's the plan, they certainly have muddied the waters with the craappy officiating and Shanny's dartboard of random punishment but it ain't getting the result they wish for.

Drama llama??? lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Anybody know a touch hockey league our esteemed columnist can follow?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think KPD's stance is that hits in hockey should be about getting the puck from the player.  He doesn't like the "I'm going to cream this guy as hard as I possibly can" big-hit mentality in the league now.  He wants a culture change, more than a rule change.