Krejci 3-year extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Krejci 3-year extension

Games against the Penguins (like the Redwings last year) could expose any weaknesses that need to be fixed. I'm OK with the D, but if there is a weakness right now that looks to be it.

In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Good post To be very blunt.  The only move I want is to add a top 4 dman.  Then lets go defend our cup. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

can't wait to see how much Seguin will command after next season....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

A little surprised that DK did better than PB, given PB's leverage (approach to UFA), but overall a pretty fair deal.

Agree with shupe that this seems to mean that PC sees Seguin as a wing, not sure how I feel about that.

That said, hard to argue with PC, he has done a great job.  He has been a heck of alot more right than wrong.  In Peter I trust!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Your all heart Krejci.......taking less to stick with your brothers and play in a system that's comitted to winning championships demonstrates your true character. your a true Bruin

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

As a poster mentioned I think it was newfie bullet what a change and a positive one. These bruins aren't run like the bruins of my youth were. I like the sighning its fair to both the player and the bruins. Anyone have an idea of how much free cap space we have left now for next season? Also wonder if anyone else is on the horizon to be extended.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]A little surprised that DK did better than PB, given PB's leverage (approach to UFA), but overall a pretty fair deal. Agree with shupe that this seems to mean that PC sees Seguin as a wing, not sure how I feel about that. That said, hard to argue with PC, he has done a great job.  He has been a heck of alot more right than wrong.  In Peter I trust!
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I know how I feel . Leading his team in scoring playing with Bergeron who has a better all around game them his. Who cares as long as the results are what they have been this year .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : I know how I feel . Leading his team in scoring playing with Bergeron who has a better all around game them his. Who cares as long as the results are what they have been this year .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Obviously, I care or I wouldn't have posted it. 

Thanks for your opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Obviously, I care or I wouldn't have posted it.  Thanks for your opinion.

I don't and your welcome .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Obviously, I care or I wouldn't have posted it.  Thanks for your opinion.
    crowls... i have that poster of patrice on my fridge. it's the first thing i see every morning when entering the kitchen to make my morning coffee. it's a great way to start the day. brings a smile to my face, without fail.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't know why, seeing the evolution from last year to this year, anyone is still questioning the way the Bruins are handling Tyler Seguin's role on this hockey team.  He's been dynamite this year, but even just look at the Notebook piece today or yesterday where Claude acknolwedged that 1) he's now getting the respect a player of his talents merits and 2) this is his next challenge, his next big adjustment.  The kid has incredible potential; we're just seeing the first of what might be a few big breakthroughs.  Don't move from development to front-line role at the first sign of progress.

I think it's OatesCam who said that maybe in a couple of years, they do deal Krejci because they have a greater need to fill than they do right now and/or the only way to get more from Tyler is to put him at centre.  That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know why, seeing the evolution from last year to this year, anyone is still questioning the way the Bruins are handling Tyler Seguin's role on this hockey team.  He's been dynamite this year, but even just look at the Notebook piece today or yesterday where Claude acknolwedged that 1) he's now getting the respect a player of his talents merits and 2) this is his next challenge, his next big adjustment.  The kid has incredible potential; we're just seeing the first of what might be a few big breakthroughs.  Don't move from development to front-line role at the first sign of progress. I think it's OatesCam who said that maybe in a couple of years, they do deal Krejci because they have a greater need to fill than they do right now and/or the only way to get more from Tyler is to put him at centre.  That sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I'll bite, since I have the most recent "Tyler on the wing" comment on this thread.

Agree, it is hard to argue with the kid's progression or the team's role in that development.  Results matter, and hard to argue with that Stanley Cup banner that was just hung up in the rafters this fall.  I simply see a kid that can be an explosive force in the league and truly believe he is best suited up the middle.  That's my opinion, with this signing, it's hard to see how that happens.

Said another way, I am sure that RNH could also produce points on the wing like Seguin, but he is playing his natural position and he is taking off.  Crosby could also produce points on the wing, fairly certain of that. Point here is, just because Seguin is having some success this year on the wing, that there isn't a bit a trade-off from the "what might he be producing" if he was up the middle.

If the team didn't already have an incredible 2-way center in Bergeron, I might feel different about "loving" Krejci.  That said, I like the guy, he is a very good player, but was still intrigued by the idea of moving him for another "finisher" or an upgrade on the blue-line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't know that Seguin would produce even more in the middle. He might.  But he would also be defending against the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Backstrom, Malkin, Staal, Staal and so on. That's a tall task for a guy with one season's worth of experience.  Everyone has been raving about how good Steven Stamkos is, but if you watch a game where he matches up against a solid all-around center (like say Bergeron) he still get's manhandled in a lot of the little areas of the game.  He definitely did last year and the year before even thought he was piling up points. It's fine for R N-H, the Oilers don't have any better options and they aren't expected to win the cup this year. But for the Bruins, looking to repeat, a second-year center on a top line is a major liability.  In a seven game series against Pit Seguin would get eaten alive by Malkin or Crosby, whichever one he was matched against. Krejci and Bergeron are both solid defensively and could do well in that match-up. The Bruins need them if they are going to repeat. In another year or two Seguin might be ready to go head-to-head with those guys. But I wouldn't want to pin my hopes of a repeat on him just yet. Our guys out-playing guys like Stamkos, Lecavelier, Sedin, Kessler and so on in all three zones was a big part of the title.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Okay experts how does this effect our cap space? With Signings needed in

Kelly
    Campbell
    Paille
    Thorton
    Corvo
    Boychuck
    Rask

Does this make obvious someone has to go?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I did not include Pou for a reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I don't know that Seguin would produce even more in the middle. He might.  But he would also be defending against the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Backstrom, Malkin, Staal, Staal and so on. That's a tall task for a guy with one season's worth of experience.  Everyone has been raving about how good Steven Stamkos is, but if you watch a game where he matches up against a solid all-around center (like say Bergeron) he still get's manhandled in a lot of the little areas of the game.  He definitely did last year and the year before even thought he was piling up points. It's fine for R N-H, the Oilers don't have any better options and they aren't expected to win the cup this year. But for the Bruins, looking to repeat, a second-year center on a top line is a major liability.  In a seven game series against Pit Seguin would get eaten alive by Malkin or Crosby, whichever one he was matched against. Krejci and Bergeron are both solid defensively and could do well in that match-up. The Bruins need them if they are going to repeat. In another year or two Seguin might be ready to go head-to-head with those guys. But I wouldn't want to pin my hopes of a repeat on him just yet. Our guys out-playing guys like Stamkos, Lecavelier, Sedin, Kessler and so on in all three zones was a big part of the title.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Great post . What people forget is the increased defensive responsibilities if Seguin is moved to center . All they think about is he's a natural center and his points would increase. Being a natural center and playing junior hockey is just a tad different then having responsibilities playing that position in the NHL. Giving him that added responsibility might just decrease his point total , not increase it. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Let's suppose Chiarelli wants to keep the roster (aside from subbing Caron for Pouliot) intact and that he signs extensions after polishing off one of those $10,000 dollar champagne bottles.  

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m) 
    Brad Marchand ($2.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m) 
    Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Jordan Caron ($1.100m) 
    Shawn Thornton ($2.000m) / Greg Campbell ($2.000m) / Daniel Paille ($2.000m) 

DEFENSEMEN
    Zdeno Chara ($6.916m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) 
    Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.566m) 
    Joe Corvo ($3.000m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.000m) 

GOALTENDERS
    Tim Thomas ($5.000m) / Tuukka Rask ($3.000m) 

BUYOUTS: Patrick Eaves ($0.258m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,975,000; BONUSES: $2,850,000
    CAP SPACE (20-man roster): -$1,675,000

That's pretty close to working, as-is.  Some of those salaries would certainly be lower.  What's more, if there is a bonus cushion again next season, this roster would fit under the cap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Great Job DrCC 

Is it possible to retain Rask at 3 mil. and Kelly at 3 mil. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they all wanted to stay on a winning team and made the decision to stay upon that idea.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, and the cap will likely go up. The Bruins are in an excellent position to contend last year, this year and next.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Whoever said PC is the best at managing the cap right now might want to take a look out west at the Red Wings. It helps when you have a team willing to take pay cuts to stay together. The wings have something like 20 million coming off the books next year. Chia is going to have to make some magic this offseason so he won't be in trouble the year after (when Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin are up).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]Whoever said PC is the best at managing the cap right now might want to take a look out west at the Red Wings. It helps when you have a team willing to take pay cuts to stay together. The wings have something like 20 million coming off the books next year. Chia is going to have to make some magic this offseason so he won't be in trouble the year after (when Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin are up).
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I think Nathan Horton will be gone. Got a feeling he will be the odd man out & I have no issue with that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I think it's all depending on if there is another Right Wing coming to Boston. I don't think Caron will ever be a first line winger. Horton won't be here if he demands a raise, he hasn't deserved that yet. But, I don't think he'll be gone unless he completely disappears.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Having money come off the books doesn't mean good cap management. It means you have players retiring or leaving as UFA's that you will need to replace. Lidstrom and Stuart are UFA's, with Lidstrom probably retiring. Without them the Redwings will not be the same team. The Bruins, on the other hand, have Chara and Seidenberg signed for multiple years. Holmstrom, Bertuzzi and Hudler are also UFA's. Without all of those players Detroit will be a shell of its former self.  That is not good cap management, that is unfortunate circumstance created by an aging team.

[QUOTE]Whoever said PC is the best at managing the cap right now might want to take a look out west at the Red Wings. It helps when you have a team willing to take pay cuts to stay together. The wings have something like 20 million coming off the books next year. Chia is going to have to make some magic this offseason so he won't be in trouble the year after (when Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin are up).
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]Let's suppose Chiarelli wants to keep the roster (aside from subbing Caron for Pouliot) intact and that he signs extensions after polishing off one of those $10,000 dollar champagne bottles.   CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR FORWARDS Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m)  Brad Marchand ($2.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m)  Rich Peverley ($3.250m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Jordan Caron ($1.100m)  Shawn Thornton ($2.000m) / Greg Campbell ($2.000m) / Daniel Paille ($2.000m)  DEFENSEMEN Zdeno Chara ($6.916m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m)  Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.566m)  Joe Corvo ($3.000m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.000m)  GOALTENDERS Tim Thomas ($5.000m) / Tuukka Rask ($3.000m)  BUYOUTS: Patrick Eaves ($0.258m) CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter) (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion) SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,975,000; BONUSES: $2,850,000 CAP SPACE (20-man roster): -$1,675,000 That's pretty close to working, as-is.  Some of those salaries would certainly be lower.  What's more, if there is a bonus cushion again next season, this roster would fit under the cap.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Kelly @ 3M? A bit high, but reasonable and could see this happening.
    Thornton @ 2M? Never, I predict he comes back @ less than 1M (and as the 10th or 11th FWD) or not at all.
    Campbell @ 2M? Fair, I hope he comes back. 
    Paille @ 2M? Undecided on this one, probably a fair salary, but I'd be okay letting the youngsters fight for this spot instead.

Corvo @ 3M? I think this is too high...he has played reasonably well, but will be 35. Drop it down to 2M for 1 year and I'd take him.
    Boychuck @ 3M? No...just no.

Tuukka @ 3M? A big cap hit for a backup goalie, but he isn't your average backup goalie... I'd prefer a shorter deal at lesser dollars.Maybe 2-3 years @2.5 (100% raise)

Remember Lucic, Horton, Seguin, and Marchand are free agents the following season too...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Kelly @ 3M? A bit high, but reasonable and could see this happening. Thornton @ 2M? Never, I predict he comes back @ less than 1M (and as the 10th or 11th FWD) or not at all. Campbell @ 2M? Fair, I hope he comes back.  Paille @ 2M? Undecided on this one, probably a fair salary, but I'd be okay letting the youngsters fight for this spot instead. Corvo @ 3M? I think this is too high...he has played reasonably well, but will be 35. Drop it down to 2M for 1 year and I'd take him. Boychuck @ 3M? No...just no. Tuukka @ 3M? A big cap hit for a backup goalie, but he isn't your average backup goalie... I'd prefer a shorter deal at lesser dollars.Maybe 2-3 years @2.5 (100% raise) Remember Lucic, Horton, Seguin, and Marchand are free agents the following season too...
    Posted by TitleTown11[/QUOTE]
    I'm afraid you missed the point.  I was giving those guys unreasonably high salaries to show that even then they would still fit under the cap.  Keeping the team together next year (if desired) should not be a problem.  The year after?  Sure things could get tricky, but so much can change in between that it is hard to speculate.

@CraftyandSly1 - Don't forget, they've got Savards LTIR money as well.  So unless he laces-up again, that's another ~$4M.  If the bonus cushion is reinstated, that's another $2.6M (because of Seguin - him making bonuses could fudge some of these numbers).

Sections
Shortcuts