Krejci 3-year extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bleedinblackandgold. Show Bleedinblackandgold's posts

Re: Krejci 3-year extension

In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension:
    Like the signing 5+ mil is more than I expected.
    Posted by michaelf101

I think it's about right, if not a *tad* less than he could have got

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's bang on with it being a 3 year deal with one year restricted free agency. If he had signed a longer deal with more years of unrestricted time, it would have had to approach the 6 mil mark. Or maybe he's just content right where it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Your lips to god's ears, Legion.

Here's another little detail I like.  I think Chiarelli's doing a nice job managing the expiry dates on these deals, especially for UFAs.

They still have to figure out Rask as an RFA and guys like Kelly and Campbell and even Benny the Pou and Thornton UFAs, but the core pieces are all in place for next year.  In two years, it might be armageddon with Lucic, Marchand, and Seguin all coming in as RFAs and Horton and Ference as UFAs... oh yeah, and that's the end of the once maligned Thomas deal - but that's two years away.  A lot can happen in two years, and sometimes the flexibility of expiring contracts is huge.  And besides - the three key forwards there are RFAs still.  Hard to believe.

It gets harder to predict from there because you never know how the landscape might change, but...Bergeron and Seidenberg would be up as UFAs in 2014-15.  No telling what the defense as a whole will look like by then, but assuming they sign the UFA guys, even in 2014-15, the Bruins will have a core of Chara, McQuaid, Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, and Seguin.  Maybe Caron.  Three years down the line, they'll still have at least two thirds of the top six forwards and their franchise defenseman.

Just looks so well managed to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac221. Show mac221's posts

Much applause.  Krejci is my favorite player, so I'm very happy to see him wear the spoked B for the next 3 years.  Here's to more 3 point nights (especially vs the Leafs)!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Sign and trade LoL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

I told ya all he wasn't going anywhere!

19 goals 25 assists 44 points in 52 playoff games

Best clutch foward in the playoffs past 3 years in a row!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

Interesting to look at the different team philosophies. The Bruins take a depth-over-superstar & complimentary players approach. What other teams pay their No. 1 centers $5.25? Granted, No. 2 is $5 million. But consider the approach of others: pay the No. 1 guy $6 million or more -- some are even higher. See Lighting, Tampa -- and their No. 2 center is in the $3 million range. Same cost range but a different distribution. Would you rather have $7 million-plus lost in a single groin pull or a team where you can slide up versatile players making $3 million (Pevs, Kelly, etc.) and be able to plug the newly created bottom-six spot with a <$2 million player with the leftover money? I think it's an interesting business model and -- obviously -- a successful approach to building a team in today's NHL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Sign and trade LoL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

PC does not = Doug Wilson LOL...  and shhhh otherwise Mr Shot will say his line "No Free agents will ever want to sign with the Bruins"

BookBoy ,  That's why they were so interested in Chiarelli. He has the knowledge of how to deal and negotiating contracts and that's not just for hockey.  He's from you neck of the woods.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Nice deal.  I took a look at the Krejci extension thread predictions.  We were all pretty spot on with our predictions.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I'm satisfied with the length of this extension (3 years).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

So when does Savard officially announce his retirement?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

PC is one smart GM..If he waits we know Krejci will perform in the playoffs and
    the price goes up. The price for a good player allways goes up.

Yaso..Savard will not retire if he does he will not get paid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

LOVE good news on the first day of the month.  GO BRUINS!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from staaten10301. Show staaten10301's posts

The $$$ is right - Krejci is good for slightly more point production than Bergeron, but the same area code for salary because of Bergeron's intangibles/seniority - and three years seems like the magic number for Chia - continuity without the crippling Gomez/Luongo-length contracts. You never know how things are going to play out with long-term injuries, but this signing may be the "thank and you and here are some lovely parting gifts" for Horton (gone sooner in a trade-deadline deal or later as a UFA). I like Horton, but he's like Lucic-lite, and equally as streaky, and it's hard to pay twice for the same player in a cap league. When Krejci was out earlier this year, Seguin and Lucic had some great chemistry, albeit in a small sampling. I could see the 1A line going to a full #1 line as Seguin-Krejci-Lucic. The next "critical" decision for Chia is Kelly ... he probably should get Ryder vs. Seguin savings (or Paille's money) in the short-term and Ference's money down the road.

After the dark ages between '72 and '11, these are nice worries to have for a change.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PC is one smart GM..If he waits we know Krejci will perform in the playoffs and the price goes up. The price for a good player allways goes up. Yaso..Savard will not retire if he does he will not get paid.
    Posted by fishfinger

Its a good signing for sure but also means they see Seguin as a winger.  That is unless they plan on letting Kelly go.  But at the moment things look pretty darn good.  I am still holding out hope to land a solid top 4 dman.  I still think this team needs Chara protection.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have no issues with comparisons to Belichick or your knowledge of cap leagues. I was critical of your assessment of Chiarelli last year because you were saying he was not as good Holland or Tallon because they had won cups. I was saying that regardless of past or future, the work Chiarelli was doing at that moment in time (and continues to do) was the best work of any GM in the league. He has now won a title and has the team set up for years of success.

In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : That's an excuse for Jacobs, though. Jacobs set a budget, Sinden followed it and then had to decide what players, where the money would go on the roster, etc. A good owner would have set 2 budgets, 1 for Sinden and then had some wiggle room for possible moves or trades to improve the team. It's actually MORE difficult in a cap era like this because if you have players all at once that need deals, you have to find ways to juggle that.  It's inherently silly to pretend that an open checkbook for any NHL team, pre 2005, somehow was a problem. Part of the leverage Chiarelli has now is because of his own doing, which is a patience, methodical team build which is what Belichick does with the Patriots. I made this comparison last year here, got attacked because I was trying to point out how critical it was. I applaued Savard's and Chara's deal and questioned Ference's, etc. But, in the end, Chiarelli has done a great job building a base of players, both young and older, within the current market. It might be the best GM work in the NHL right now, actually. Look at the teamms that are constantly plugging and pulling players. Look at Toronto. Look at Philly. Good teams, great talent, but they've lacked continuity. You need a base to work from and the only way to get it is to to do it slowly and methodically so it's long term. Jacobs had 30+ years to do that and didn't' care or didn't have the right GM in place to do it.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Do you think Seguin is bad as a winger? I find he seems very effective. I would prefer him playing RW with Bergeron and Marchand than C on another line. I think he mixes very well with them.  Other than Krejci (and Seguin himself) I think they have the highest hockey IQ on the team.  Also, I'm pretty sure that NTC's - if DK got one - can't kick in until you are a UFA. Actually, I think it's the second year of UFA.  So that would mean, despite the signing, the Bruins could still move him  next year or the year after if having Seguin at center is truly necessary. But having Krejci under contract makes him much more tradable.

In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Its a good signing for sure but also means they see Seguin as a winger.  That is unless they plan on letting Kelly go.  But at the moment things look pretty darn good.  I am still holding out hope to land a solid top 4 dman.  I still think this team needs Chara protection.
    Posted by shuperman

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carltetus. Show carltetus's posts

Posted by Yaso#7

Savard won't announce his retirement until his contract is over. If he does before it, he won't collect his salary from the insurance company.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Do you think Seguin is bad as a winger? I find he seems very effective. I would prefer him playing RW with Bergeron and Marchand than C on another line. I think he mixes very well with them.  Other than Krejci (and Seguin himself) I think they have the highest hockey IQ on the team.  Also, I'm pretty sure that NTC's - if DK got one - can't kick in until you are a UFA. Actually, I think it's the second year of UFA.  So that would mean, despite the signing, the Bruins could still move him  next year or the year after if having Seguin at center is truly necessary. But having Krejci under contract makes him much more tradable. In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension :
    Posted by OatesCam

Yes it does make him more tradeable but also sets a bad practice.  Sign and trades are almost taboo.  I think they inked him to keep him.  And never said Seguin was a bad winger.  I prefer him as a 1st line center though.  Being deep at center in my eyes is better than having him on the wing.   BUT, at the moment he is a perfect spot. 
    Seguin is too hockey smart to be playing the wing for his career. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah, I don't like sign and trades. Dealing him in a couple years would be a little easier for everyone to swallow though, if they had to. That will be when Seguin is a RFA and has 3 years under his belt.  Right now I don't think he's ready to be a go-to center in the playoffs.  Offensive centerpiece, sure, but the two way battles against guys like Crosby or Stamkos or whoever, that idea makes me nervous. I think I agree that everything is just right with the lineup right now, and that when Seguin is 21, 22 it could be time for him to be a center.

In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Yes it does make him more tradeable but also sets a bad practice.  Sign and trades are almost taboo.  I think they inked him to keep him.  And never said Seguin was a bad winger.  I prefer him as a 1st line center though.  Being deep at center in my eyes is better than having him on the wing.   BUT, at the moment he is a perfect spot.  Seguin is too hockey smart to be playing the wing for his career. 
    Posted by shuperman

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

His deadline moves were definitely the right moves for the right team at the right time. They were the last necessary moves to show that he could take a team the whole way. Yes, we had all seen the close but not quite routine before. PC truly is an elite GM.

In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension : Well, it was true last winter. Each took some calculated risks to build a Cup winner.  Holland had a formula he's used for over a decade, so clearly he earned his status.  That's even debatable. He's been the best GM for over 10 years even if he absorbed a nice base from Devellano. Tallon laid the framework and also made wise acquistions (Sharp, Campbell, etc). I like what he's doing in Florida, right now, actually. Some were in here overrating Chia last year before he made his really nice and strategic moves at the deadline. IMO, that was because Mike O'Connell as  a Sinden puppet and was horrendous (minus finding Bergeron, Kreicji and signing Thomas, etc). So, by comparison he just looked better. Not only did he prove to be better, he has proven to be elite. All I said was the picture wasn't complete so it's really irrelevant how it looks without the elephant in the room leaving the room (at least a SC appearance). I praised his moves, even though I was not a Kaberle fan and never understood the obsession. All I said was, be aggressive to add chips and I commended him for that, and for us finally seeing a GM have the bed made so we can do things like that. It had happened. The Cup. The idea is to win a Cup or at least end up in a Cup Finals when you have the team to do so.  So, yes, you were right and I was right. He did it. He completed the circle. I was waiting for a deeper run than a 2nd round/3rd round appearance and we got it, partly because of his additional moves at the deadline.  I don't feel we would have won without Kelly, Peverley and even Kaberle. Considering what they did, I just don't.  So, yes, great job. I wanted to see the finished product of what he was building and I did.  But, let's be fair. Prior to June, we had seen the "we're pretty good and in the playoffs" routine before here. Chia knows that wouldn't cut it and you and I know it.  Usually, they were conservative at the deadline and then the small holes would be exposed.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yeah, I don't like sign and trades. Dealing him in a couple years would be a little easier for everyone to swallow though, if they had to. That will be when Seguin is a RFA and has 3 years under his belt.  Right now I don't think he's ready to be a go-to center in the playoffs.  Offensive centerpiece, sure, but the two way battles against guys like Crosby or Stamkos or whoever, that idea makes me nervous. I think I agree that everything is just right with the lineup right now, and that when Seguin is 21, 22 it could be time for him to be a center. In Response to Re: Krejci 3-year extension :
    Posted by OatesCam

Good post
    To be very blunt.  The only move I want is to add a top 4 dman.  Then lets go defend our cup. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by Yaso#7

Probably right when the cheques are due to stop coming.

Sections
Shortcuts