Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?

Since David Krejci was made the "highest-paid" Bruin yesterday by Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, and centers the Bruins #1-line, I must ask this question: Who is the more valuable foward is it Krejco or Bergeron?

As B's fans know -- they are both very good players, but most will not even blink and would respond, "Bergeron is the man. He's the best.  He does everything well. He's so consistent and he comes to play every night." He's a leader and a captain. Therefore, he's certainly more popular and respected from fans than David Krejci. 

But that's not what I'm asking, and personally, after watching the B's Stanley-Cup run, in which Krejci came up huge, and lead the entire NHL in scoring in the 2011 Playoffs, and also witnessing how they collapsed against the Flyers 2 years ago, after Krejci sustained a broken wrist. The B's led 3-0 while he was playing, and he was the B's best forward in the lineup, and then lost 4 straight after he was hurt. Needless to say,  it's clear to Peter Chairelli and the Bruins' front-office by their actions yesterday that David Krejci is likely the B's #1 center and is even  more valuable to them than Parice Bergeron is. Well, that's what Krejci's salary says anyways. What do you say?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?

Bergeron is the MVP forward and #1C.  He was more forced into a defensive role because Krejci is not quite as good defensively. They are similarly effective offensively, but Bergeron typically plays tougher opponents with less skilled wings.  That has changed with Seguin and Marchand now riding with him and the stats reflect this.  That unit is now the #1.  Also, Krejci signed his contract at a later time with a bigger cap and after the cup win.  So while the $$ value is higher he is actually making a smaller portion of the Cap than Bergeron when he signed his deal. If they signed their contracts at the same time you could say the team valued Krejci more.  But with the cap going up by 7% between signings and Krejci making only 4% more, you could say the Bruins actually value DK (very slightly) less than Bergeron. PB has also been making his money a year earlier and will be eligible for a raise (if warranted) a year earlier. Between the two, PB is doing better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Chara is the highest paid Bruin. Rightly so.

Without the successful cup run, Krejic would have likely garnered 4.75-5 mill per year and Bergeron would have likely seen the same to slightly higher. Same with Marchand.

Given that we are arguing about 250,000, it's basically a moot point.

Both are extremely valuable and to say one is more valuable than the other is pretty pointless.

Bergeron is better in the defensive zone and Krejic better in the offensive zone. If you value offensive play more than defensive play, it's a tie as Bergeron is better in the faceoff dot. If you value them both equally, it's Bergeron by a nose.

Either way, we're splitting hairs. They're both very very good players with flashes of greatness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In Response to Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?:
    [QUOTE]Since David Krejci was made the "highest-paid" Bruin yesterday by Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, and centers the Bruins #1-line, I must ask this question: Who is the more valuable foward is it Krejco or Bergeron? As B's fans know -- they are both very good players, but most will not even blink and would respond, "Bergeron is the man. He's the best.  He does everything well. He's so consistent and he comes to play every night." He's a leader and a captain. Therefore, he's certainly more popular and respected from fans than David Krejci.  But that's not what I'm asking, and personally, after watching the B's Stanley-Cup run, in which Krejci came up huge, and lead the entire NHL in scoring in the 2011 Playoffs, and also witnessing how they collapsed against the Flyers 2 years ago, after Krejci sustained a broken wrist. The B's led 3-0 while he was playing, and he was the B's best forward in the lineup, and then lost 4 straight after he was hurt. Needless to say,  it's clear to Peter Chairelli and the Bruins' front-office by their actions yesterday that David Krejci is likely the B's #1 center and is even  more valuable to them than Parice Bergeron is. Well, that's what Krejci's salary says anyways. What do you say?
    Posted by DaPrince77[/QUOTE]

I say your post is BS! Comparing the 2 is stupid. both are equal in value and the contracts are pretty much the same. both players are the best in their role and both have hearts the size of Boston. the Bruins need both guys to get where they want to go. and their also best freinds.........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Thats like asking which of my kids I like better.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -sabot-13. Show -sabot-13's posts

Bergeron = Triple gold club

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Who I think is better changes form game to game. I'm calling it a tie. And not because as seaobriens says that it's like asking which of my kids I like better, but because they are pretty equally valuable to the team although in different ways.

I disagree with the premise that the Bruins value DK more because he is paid higher than Bergeron....the amount is too small a difference and Bergeron signed a year earlier. If they did his contract today would it be less than the $5.25mil DK got? I think it would be right there if not a tweak higher.

Besides...I think Bergeron got a signing bonus. If that's correct, his total payday probably passes Krejci's if not his average annual salary.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

In Response to Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?:
    [QUOTE]Since David Krejci was made the "highest-paid" Bruin yesterday by Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, and centers the Bruins #1-line, I must ask this question: Who is the more valuable foward is it Krejco or Bergeron? As B's fans know -- they are both very good players, but most will not even blink and would respond, "Bergeron is the man. He's the best.  He does everything well. He's so consistent and he comes to play every night." He's a leader and a captain. Therefore, he's certainly more popular and respected from fans than David Krejci.  But that's not what I'm asking, and personally, after watching the B's Stanley-Cup run, in which Krejci came up huge, and lead the entire NHL in scoring in the 2011 Playoffs, and also witnessing how they collapsed against the Flyers 2 years ago, after Krejci sustained a broken wrist. The B's led 3-0 while he was playing, and he was the B's best forward in the lineup, and then lost 4 straight after he was hurt. Needless to say,  it's clear to Peter Chairelli and the Bruins' front-office by their actions yesterday that David Krejci is likely the B's #1 center and is even  more valuable to them than Parice Bergeron is. Well, that's what Krejci's salary says anyways. What do you say?
    Posted by DaPrince77[/QUOTE]

Easy. Patrice Bergeron.

Just think of the fact that he's no longer that 30g 70p+ player many thought he would evolve to and is still a better all-around player than Krejci. If you would compare Bergeron from 2004-2007 (Pre-concussion) it would not even be close. Im still hopeful than Bergeron can be a 25g/40a guy, his hockey IQ is off the charts. No knock on Krejci but he needs great players around him to tap into his potential. Even in Providence he had dynamic young talent to play with (Kalus, Versteeg, Sobotka). Bergeron can play in any situation, any style.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Seguin

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not important.  Who cares?  The Bruins win with Bergeron, Krejci, and Seguin holding hands as they cross the finish line.  On different nights, each guy can be the best.  Which is great for us and awful for other teams to defend.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In terms of $$, I don't think you can read much into that bump.  OatesCam's math tells the story re: the difference between the two; it's actually more telling that the salaries are almost identical, which fits with the story Chiarelli always tells about building a three line attack.  Krejci led the playoffs in scoring, Bergeron scored the winner and the insurance in Game 7.  Krejci has been pivotal the last two playoffs, but they didn't win a playoff round the year Bergeron was out with his concussion, either.  Krejci's responsible, can kill penalties, can work off the boards....  I do think Bergeron's more valuable, but it's hard to ignore what Krejci has done for the team in a tough role.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

They're both No. 1.

They're both excellent all-around players. Bergeron might be better on face-offs, but Krejci is right there. Bergeron is better offensively and more creative offensively than he's given credit for, and Krejci is better in in the defensive zone than he's often given credit for. Krejci's best might be a hair better, but Bergeron is more consistent.

It's really a moot point. With both centers, the Bruins have basically two No. 1 lines. I think when this season is all said and done, the 3-7 start is going to look more of the fluke than the 12-0-1 November.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Both have there strenghts & both are very important to the Bruins past and present. Fortunately for us there is room for both.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?:
    [QUOTE]Both have there strenghts & both are very important to the Bruins past and present. Fortunately for us there is room for both.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]
    Perfect answer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

When I get into debates with Jordan and Magic Johnson fans as to why I think Larry Bird was a better basketball player I always say "lets go down the checklist, shall we ?" "The Better free throw shooter ?, 3 point shooter ?, left handed shooter ?, rebounder ?,  passer ?" BIRD is the Word! Of course I would always get "Who's got more rings ?" Yawn

But in this case 1A and 1B is fine because they complete a perfect power center. I'd give Bergeron the slight edge but not by much and that has to do with me being a huge fan of Patrice, he's been he longer and through more. So it really is an opinion based answer, too close to call IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]When I get into debates with Jordan and Magic Johnson fans as to why I think Larry Bird was a better basketball player I always say "lets go down the checklist, shall we ?" "The Better free throw shooter ?, 3 point shooter ?, left handed shooter ?, rebounder ?,  passer ?" BIRD is the Word! Of course I would always get "Who's got more rings ?" Yawn But in this case 1A and 1B is fine because they complete a perfect power center. I'd give Bergeron the slight edge but not by much and that has to do with me being a huge fan of Patrice, he's been he longer and through more. So it really is an opinion based answer, too close to call IMO.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    It's like comparing 2 supermodels. Both are hot and neither would have anything to do with me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1? : Excellent question ... the correct answer is, "It depends on the circumstances." Bergeron is better on faceoffs, along the boards, possesses identical speed as Krecji, far better on defense, and is far better on the PK. Krecji is a far better set-up man (like Adam Oates), better on the PP, is an equal when lined-up against the opposition's #1 or #2 lines, but he outshines Bergeron with better hockey skills and on-ice presence. Many people conveniently forget that the Bruins were ALSO without Timmy Thomas in net and Dennis Seidenberg as our #2 defender. The team collapsed because they didn't have a viable #2 defender (at the time), they didn't have an answer for Timmy Thomas (who won the Vezina), and they didn't have an answer when they lost Krecji -- NOR WOULD THEY HAVE HAD AN ANSWER had they lost Bergeron instead of Krecji. Chia found those answers during last year's trading deadline. It depends on the circumstances. (smile)
    Posted by CraftyandSly1[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your in depth analysis CraftyandSly1
    We're definetly splitting hair's here. I'm thrilled both these guys are on the B's. Needless to say, with Seguin most likely anchoring a line in the near future, the B's are extremely strong at the center position for the forseeable future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

both and neither

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Pretty sure the only players of the top 9 forwards, 3 of them don't have any background at center. Marchand, Seguin, and Pevs have all played center at some point in their careers (Marchand in Prov, I believe).

As for Bergeron/Krejci.....
    Bergeron is more valuable to this team that Krejci. He hasn't really had the chance to play with ANY elite offensive talent. Let's just look back and see how good he made Brad Boyes look a while ago. With Seguin/Marchand on his wings, I think Bergeron has a really good chance to crack the point-per-game barrier this year.

Krejci elevates his game a level in the playoffs, but let us not blow it out of proportion; even with a hat trick (in a game where the score was over before his 3rd goal, if I recall), and a couple HUGE personal performances against Philly (other than game 2, the games were all well in hand), he was still less than a point per game player. The Bruins also played more games than any other team in the playoffs. It also helped that the team that played almost as many games had to face Tim Thomas in net for 7 games and shut them down. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure I recall everyone calling for his head after the Montreal series, because he was invisible up to that point.
    I love Krejci as a player, don't get me wrong; I think he's a very good player for this system in that he can get very creative offensively, but is very mindful of his defensive play as well. I do agree that he elevates his game for the most part in the playoffs, but the whole "league leader in points in the playoffs" is ridiculous, when the B's played more games than anyone.
    Bergeron had 20 points in 23 games, while Krejci had 23 points in 25 games. Krejci played with Horton and Lucic. Bergeron played with a hot-head rookie and my favorite "Bag o' Bones".
    Once again, Krejci is awesome, but the thing that irks me is the elevated playoff play, and that people compare stats when Krejci has played with superior offensive talent the past 3 years, while Bergeron has produced very close stats.
    Even in '08-'09 when Krejci's line was "3rd line", Wheeler/Ryder (when they're playing hard) are dangerous, and I think Bergeron was playing with PJ and Sturm-o. PJ????

Bergeron 1A
    Krejci 1B

This wasn't a post to put Bergeron on top, it was a post to ensure that Krejci wasn't put above Bergeron (even though a lot of you agree with the 1A-1B assessment).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Q: Krejci or Bergeron, Who's #1?

A: Doesn't it depend on whom they match up with?  For some, one is #1; another is #2; etc...   Let's be pragmatic and say that one is 1a; the other is 1bHowever, they alternate.  Isn't that what the "A" on the team jersies implies?  (Just joking.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Actually there is no debate, and all of these accolades might just put the trade Kreji posts to rest. Any team needs 4 centers, and the Bruins have four that are doing their jobs to perfection so far. In addition the Bruins have Peverly and Seguin who are also very good at the center position, but balance their lines as wings. Glad to see that Claude was not happy with Wednesday's performance. Another indication that Claude is doing better than he once did, and is moretively involved.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

They are both great players who play Claude Julien's system so well. For example the day Krejci was signed by Peter Chiarelli the B's GM made a point by saying, "David is not just a highly-skilled offensive player, but what sometimes goes unnoticed is he's also very strong in his defensive-zone, and I think you need that kind of effort/sacrifice defensively to have a championship team." Can you say great "2-way player?" That's exactly what both Krejci and Bergeron are, "great 2-way player's."  If there were ever 2 players who are equally important to their teams it would be these 2 guys.  
    As I mentioned earlier in my post, i love Bergeron for "night-in-night-out" consistency. He just such a sound player -- the kind that Claude Julien has on the faceoff circle with 20 seconds left in a one goal game. However when the playoff's role around, it's Krejci's time to shine. Simply put Krejci is a "MONEY-PLAYER," and here in Boston that means a lot.

Sections
Shortcuts