Kreji possibilities

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Kreji possibilities

In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities:
    [QUOTE]Presidents don't generally make hockey decisions; they make business decisions including hiring the right people to put together a good hockey team.  They comment on the makeup of the roster the way your boss comments on your performance.  I think Neely is charged with making the connection between the Bruins and the city of Boston, and then with Bruindom as a whole.  He has a long history of running organizations in the community, so he knows how to work the public and get a message out.  Sure, he's also a figurehead in the sense that no Bruin fan disliked Neely.  I've met avid Bruin fans who weren't crazy about Park and Ratelle, Bucyk, Middleton, even Esposito - but not Neely.  He's in the Orr/Bourque stratosphere.  But his role in managing the team is quite likely misunderstood.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I generally agree with your post, but quite honestly in my entire life following the B's since the 60's I've never spoken to anyone who disliked John Bucyk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39037
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

OK, so he's a figurehead.  A great Bruin, kept around the organization because he's a great Bruin, the fans love him, and he looks great in the position, but with no real decision-making powers.

Am I reading this right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : Do you realise who that is?  Here is what he does: http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/2011-12_Boston_Bruins_prospects_roundup
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]
    I understand who he is. But when he starts saying he can tell exactly what someone is feeling, and what their actions will be in the near future, simply by the look on their face, it's a pantload.
    No one expects 200 points, but is a point-a-game too much to ask for a no. 1 or 2, Center?
    I don't have a problem with keeping Krejci, if the plan is to keep Seguin at RW.
    5M is too much for a 3rd line center, and it would further limit his point production, and reduce his trade value, playing with guys like Pouliot and Caron.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : OK, so he's a figurehead.  A great Bruin, kept around the organization because he's a great Bruin, the fans love him, and he looks great in the position, but with no real decision-making powers. Am I reading this right?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Read this right

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : OK, so he's a figurehead.  A great Bruin, kept around the organization because he's a great Bruin, the fans love him, and he looks great in the position, but with no real decision-making powers. Am I reading this right?

See my post above.  "Real decision-making powers" yes, though maybe not direct hockey decisions.  Smart, successful community campaigns for almost two decades now for other organizations. 

SoxFan - I know what you mean - it was really odd, but it was in Alberta where they will eat their own.  And mostly the complaint was that he was over-rated.  The person in question was a Bruin fan from the '50s on, so his impression of Bucyk had a lot to do with associating him with the lean years pre-Orr when JB was one of the core players and leading scorers most years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Chiarelli was hired by Jacobs, Julien by Chiarelli. I think most hockey stuff is handled by Chiarelli, Sweeny and co., but Neely is part of the team. I'm sure that they take his opinions seriously because he's a former player, but PC is the one charged with winning championships.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Do you really think they spent 3 years grooming Cam to be a "figurehead"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There allot of Sports President/GMs that say allot to the media. Real tough talk but then there is no follow up, no results. Now Cam has now made two referrals to philosophical disagreements with Juliens approach. The first was "can't win games 0-0" that following summer Chiarelli goes out n gets Horton to put away  Krejci feeds. Then the next season Boston when healthy are the most potent 5 on 5 team in the NHL Stanley Cup is the result.

Now Mr. Irrelevant (figure head according to some) has spoken again regarding how he feels about a missing component. I now expect follow up...Again...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : Do you really think they spent 3 years grooming Cam to be a "figurehead"?

Sure, why not?  P.R. is important.  It looks good for the team to keep a beloved ex-player involved in the organization. 

Are you telling me that, despite his lack of NHL management experience, that he directs P.C. in matters regarding player personnel?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It's hard to say who does what and maybe both guys deserve credit.  I just find it odd that Neely gets applauded for speaking out publicly (and making rather obvious observations) about the team, when it appears to be Chiarelli's job to make the actual fixes.  I'm also not crazy about announcing to the whole league what pieces the Bruins will likely be seeking in the offseason, even if it is already fairly clear.  There is a good chance that makes no difference at all, but I personally like the mystique and effectiveness of the quiet, calculating GM-type.  But I understand that at the end of the day, Neely is primarily in a PR position while Chiarelli is not.  I hope others remember it to.

I love that Chiarelli stays largely in the shadows and doesn't disgrace himself like, say Mike Gillies, by publicly lobbying the league, crying about conspiracies, and insulting opposing players.  Chiarelli has caried himself with a more quiet dignity that understates just how effective he has been as a GM. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]There allot of Sports President/GMs that say allot to the media. Real tough talk but then there is no follow up, no results. Now Cam has now made two referrals to philosophical disagreements with Juliens approach. The first was "can't win games 0-0" that following summer Chiarelli goes out n gets Horton to put away  Krejci feeds. Then the next season Boston when healthy are the most potent 5 on 5 team in the NHL Stanley Cup is the result. Now Mr. Irrelevant (figure head according to some) has spoken again regarding how he feels about a missing component. I now expect follow up...Again...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Zackly SanDog

Cam Neely doesn't seem to me to be the type who wouldn't voice his opinion if he thinks it's appropriate. It's that very quality that is an asset for this organization. He is the embodiment of what it means to be a "bruin" , and history shows that he also represents what he is not - A Canuck

He's smart, strong and competitive, I'm glad he's in place, and feel like he will stand up when it's needed. We've got smart strong conservative leadership in the GM and Coaching depts. There needs to be some fire and direction to make that combo accountable. That's Cam Neely, and that aint no figurehead

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : Sure, why not?  P.R. is important.  It looks good for the team to keep a beloved ex-player involved in the organization.  Are you telling me that, despite his lack of NHL management experience, that he directs P.C. in matters regarding player personnel?
    I don't believe I implied anything other than the fact he spent 3 years with the organization in upper management before being given his current role as President. I don't see why they wouldn't have given him this "figurehead" position 3 years earlier if it's truly all that it is.  That said, PC is the GM for a reason. He's the one who has the final say on who stays. CJ makes the final decisions on who plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : I don't believe I implied anything other than the fact he spent 3 years with the organization in upper management before being given his current role as President. I don't see why they wouldn't have given him this "figurehead" position 3 years earlier if it's truly all that it is.  That said, PC is the GM for a reason. He's the one who has the final say on who stays. CJ makes the final decisions on who plays.

Well, perhaps "figurehead" is too harsh a term.  There are many important non-hockey personnel decisions to be made, many of which directly affect the team's perception in the community.  Neely has experience with community organizations, especially in the health care sector.  So he probably is the one making the decisions on community partnerships and outreach. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]There allot of Sports President/GMs that say allot to the media. Real tough talk but then there is no follow up, no results. Now Cam has now made two referrals to philosophical disagreements with Juliens approach. The first was "can't win games 0-0" that following summer Chiarelli goes out n gets Horton to put away  Krejci feeds. Then the next season Boston when healthy are the most potent 5 on 5 team in the NHL Stanley Cup is the result. Now Mr. Irrelevant (figure head according to some) has spoken again regarding how he feels about a missing component. I now expect follow up...Again...

If you're sure the only reason PC went and got Horton is because of what Neely said about the 0-0 thing, yeah, you're right.  If you believe any piece that picks up the pp, is solely the result of Neelys comments...you're right again.
    I don't feel that way.  I think the term Mr. "Irrelevant" is also a serial exaggeration to anything written on this thread about Neely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

While I think Neely is a factor in hockey decisions, I wouldn't put too much weight in his public statements.  Chiarelli was working on the Horton trade practically since Kessel was dealt, and well before any 0-0 game comment. The panthers just wouldn't part with their biggest ticket draw until just before his no-trade kicked in. Saying that the Bruins have the personel but need to improve their pp approach doesn't really say much at all. I think we all know they need to change their approach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : If you're sure the only reason PC went and got Horton is because of what Neely said about the 0-0 thing, yeah, you're right.  If you believe any piece that picks up the pp, is solely the result of Neelys comments...you're right again. I don't feel that way.  I think the term Mr. "Irrelevant" is also a serial exaggeration to anything written on this thread about Neely. Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE]

No I don't think that is why PC went out an got Horton directly from the statement but I do feel like he felt some real pressure to do something after the collapse against Philly. Before the summer of 2010 PC really had no checks n balances now he does.

The "Mr. Irrelevant" is just directed at some posters that feel that Neely does nothing and is just a face for the franchise. I don't think that Neely will direct PC to pick up another Morris/Kaberle/Corvo clone but Cam will not put up with "oh well Geoff Ward is trying real hard" either if the Bruins start off slow next fall.

@OatesCam, I agree that Chiarelli coordinates his scouts fully and makes the day to day decisions on trades and on call ups definitely. I also feel PC does take the time to pay attention to remarks from Cam when he does speak up in public or private. Jacobs hired Neely to make sure both Julien and Chiarelli are being advised from a Hall of Famer players point of view.

A corporate structure if you will.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

If you look at the regular season PP stats, you won't necessarily see a high degree of correlation between 'elite personnel' and high PP%.  Look at the league leader: Nashville -- you're telling me that their offensive stars are superior to (say) the Penguins (5th)?  Or that Florida's (7th) are better than Detroit's (22nd)?

You can talk personnel or systems all you want, but in the end, I think the PP is one of the last bastions of on-ice, player-to-player chemistry and individual skill.  Since PP goals happen in so many different ways, I don't think there's any one single secret to PP success.  Do you need a 'mucker' who'll take the abuse in front of the net and score those 3' goals (Holmstrom)? Do you need a guy with a howitzer from the point (Chara)? Do you need guys who can make passes with blindfolds on (Sedins)? Do you need a guy who can one-time cross ice passes into the top corner (Ovie)? 

The answer is probably: you need at least two or three of those elements which make a PP successful, but you also need a bit of luck, two PP teams who can stay together all season and practice together, and a whole lot of confidence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Mr. Neely is the Bear.  He is the growl in PC, Jeremy, and even CJ.  If I have it right, JJ has given him the right to growl.  Counter intuitive to all the analysis by PC, Sweeney, and CJ.  If the Bs need a identity, Lucic lost his, then Neely is the typecast actor.  Krejci is what he is, highly skilled, small and somewhat slow, if given space he is a killer.  Lucic and Horton are great linemates for Krejci.  My hope is Horton can make a quick recovery, but I am reminded introspectively of Bergeron, Savard, et al. Krejci is trade material, but I always say "Gretzky was traded", end of the argument.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : Yeah, I can't really answer all of these questions, because my post is one of opinion, not fact.  I don't know.  I'm no insider.  My impression is that Neely is a good public face of the organization and he is certainly a popular one, but I don't actually know what he does or if he is all that sharp at running the true hockey operations.  It is not my impression that Neely has "been called to the mat" for anything, just credited with many of the same critiques about the team that you see here daily.  In many ways I am asking the opposite of the questions you've posted since Neely seems to get so much credit already. Like, why does Neely get credit instead of Chiarelli sometimes?  Why is he painted as the one who has noticed the powerplay problems?  Why does Neely publicly complain about things that Chiarelli appears to privately address (or try to)?  How valuable is his "buck-stops-here" mentality? etc? I think Neely got tons of credit for the championship (don't you?).  Plenty of that was probably deserved, but the championship was won largely on the backs of players that Chiarelli assembled and the team remains in an excellent spot (talent-wise, cap-wise) largely because of Chiarelli's smart planning, IMO. If I had to pick one to run the team, I'd pick Chiarelli.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Like every single person here, I don't know what goes on behind the closed doors.  For anyone to suggest that this guy does this and this guy doesn't do that is ridiculous.

Bruins management put together the team on the ice.  The team won the Cup.  Great job by all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't see anything in the profile that speaks of Neely's current job description.  You're reading his background. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : Sure, why not?  P.R. is important.  It looks good for the team to keep a beloved ex-player involved in the organization.  Are you telling me that, despite his lack of NHL management experience, that he directs P.C. in matters regarding player personnel?

You certainly know a lot about public relations.

"Sorry we lost the Cup again."

"Sorry we signed that goalie to one of the worst contracts ever."

"Sorry our club lacked any leadership and we had to name the goalie the Captain."

"Sorry our players dive all the time."

"Sorry our players bite other players."

"Sorry our fans burned down the city."

"Sorry our GM blames a game in Januray for losses in April."

"Sorry we won the President's trophy and lost in the first round."

Crank up that PR machine!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]Here's a list of "comparable" players to DK for the 2013 season. There are some players on the list you'd keep DK ahead of (but not many). He'll really need to step up his game next year if he's to truly earn his money. David Krejci: Top 20 Cap Hit Comparables Name Age Team Length Expiry Salary Cap Hit Delta   Krejci, David » 26 BOS 3 2015 $5,250,000 $5,250,000 $0 Carter, Jeff » 27 LAK 11 2022 $6,250,000 $5,272,727 $22,727 Hossa, Marian » 33 CHI 12 2021 $7,900,000 $5,275,000 $25,000 Pominville, Jason » 29 BUF 5 2014 $5,500,000 $5,300,000 $50,000 Perry, Corey » 26 ANA 5 2013 $4,875,000 $5,325,000 $75,000 Getzlaf, Ryan » 26 ANA 5 2013 $6,125,000 $5,325,000 $75,000 Ryan, Bobby » 25 ANA 5 2015 $5,562,500 $5,100,000 $150,000 Kessel, Phil » 25 TOR 5 2014 $5,100,000 $5,400,000 $150,000 Grabovski, Mikhail » 28 TOR 5 2017 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 $250,000 Hemsky, Ales » 28 EDM 2 2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Neal, James » 24 PIT 6 2018 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Tavares, John » 21 NYI 6 2018 $4,000,000 $5,500,000 $250,000 Bergeron, Patrice » 26 BOS 3 2014 $4,550,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Plekanec, Tomas » 29 MTL 6 2016 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Kesler, Ryan » 27 VAN 6 2016 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Havlat, Martin » 31 SAN 6 2015 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Gionta, Brian » 33 MTL 5 2014 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Ribeiro, Mike » 32 DAL 5 2013 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $250,000 Horcoff, Shawn » 33 EDM 6 2015 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 $250,000 St. Louis, Martin » 36 TBL 4 2015 $5,500,000 $5,625,000 $375,000 Alfredsson, Daniel » 39 OTT 4 2013 $1,000,000 $4,875,000 $375,000

JW

This is pretty delayed response, but guys I would consider upgrades on this team over dk, getzlaf, tavares, kesler, bergy, perry, b ryan, james neal, kessel, hossa 5 yrs ago(not really, he's much older than dk, but a great player).  I know Kessel's mental makeup as you all do, so it would make him a wash with DK, but those other 7 are all better or than DK.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : Why does the GM get the credit but the team President get pushed aside?  Who's to say that the GM does it all, but the skills and decision making of the President are questioned? Neely was a businessman long before coming to work for the Bruins. Why is Neely called to the mat for the powerplay when Chiarelli is not?  Can't Chiarelli fired Ward?  If not, does that make it Neely's decision?  If so, why can't Neely get any credit for the rest of the success of the team?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

PC is good at holding out for trades, being cautious with the cap etc, but he is extremely cautious and passive.  He needs Neely ahead of him to say, Pete, it's time to change something on the PP now.  Or, we are making mid season trades this year and going for it, cash in some of the 10 1st rounders for a risk.  Without Neely, I feel like we would just resign every guy forever until they're 40 and retire on their terms.  Neely seems to be the voice for PC to make him act, the  PC choses how to act (trade for kelly, pev, kaberle, fire ward or sign new pp guys, etc)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kreji possibilities : JW This is pretty delayed response, but guys I would consider upgrades on this team over dk, getzlaf, tavares, kesler, bergy, perry, b ryan, james neal, kessel, hossa 5 yrs ago(not really, he's much older than dk, but a great player).  I know Kessel's mental makeup as you all do, so it would make him a wash with DK, but those other 7 are all better or than DK.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan[/QUOTE]
    I said there were only a few on the list that you wouldn't keep ahead of DK.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Agreed, we have a conservative coach and gm who need to be pushed to not stand pat.  That's where Neely comes in, he pressures those guys for changes and then PC and Claude use their strengths and expertise to fix it.

Sections
Shortcuts