Krug's Value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Krug's Value

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Started this thread thinking that Krug might land a big score as an RFA, but in reality, it's PC that has all the leverage.  Krug can hold out, that's it.  Same with Smith.

Pretty significant implications here for 2014-15 and possibly beyond.  PC has the leverage.  He can go 1 year deal so the players can become Group 2 RFA's or possibly extend them to more team friendly deals.

I already feel better about the B's cap situation for this season and beyond.

I am also the guy that started the "Is PC Overrated" thread.  Didn't take this situation into account, was thinking that both Krug and Smith were set up for nice scores.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, but you know what?  I bet PC either gives them one year deals with mini-raises so they're just as "set up" next year when they are RFAs or only grills them for two years on this deal at a discount.  Probably give 'em NTCs too. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

How is Krug a defensive liability? I have not seen anything to support this. He's a young defenseman who has offensive skill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How is Krug a defensive liability? I have not seen anything to support this. He's a young defenseman who has offensive skill.

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't exactly established himself as a defensive stalwart based on the numbers or the eye test.

2 minutes less in TOI than Bartkowski during the regular season.

Only 0:15 seconds on PK TOI, as compared to his 2:30 PP TOI.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good thing PC didn't pull a Tallon with those qualifying offers then.

But...umm what about those buyouts ?

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He hasn't exactly established himself as a defensive stalwart based on the numbers or the eye test.

[/QUOTE]

Those numbers don't show him to be a defensive liability, though.  Is McQuaid a defensive liability because he played less TOI/game than every D other but Trotman and Potter...even less than Worseoffsky?

I don't want Krug out there in the last minute or against a big top line.  Otherwise, he's proven pretty strong and good at using his stature to create leverage.  I'm okay with that.

[object HTMLDivElement]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean he is a defensive liability. I have not seen anything in his game to label him with that. Norris trophy winner, no, but by no means a liability back there. People love to assume because a defenseman is skilled offensively he must be bad defensively.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean he is a defensive liability. I have not seen anything in his game to label him with that. Norris trophy winner, no, but by no means a liability back there. People love to assume because a defenseman is skilled offensively he must be bad defensively.

[/QUOTE]

Who are these people?  Would Claude Julien be one of those people?  Doug Houda?  It was the coaching staff that decided to play Bartkowski more than Krug.  What do they know?

For me and my eye-test, Krug is not awful defensively, isn't great either.  He has trouble with bigger players in the corners and in front of his net.  I like his jam, but size/strength is a bit of an issue.  He is terrific once the B's have possession and in transition.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's not a defensive liability because he is offensively skilled.  He's a defensive liability because he's often out of position, out of the zone all together or he's failing to make the correct move to break up the play.

I think he'll learn and get better, but for now AutoPenalty is a better option when trying to keep the puck out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Who are these people?  Would Claude Julien be one of those people?  Doug Houda?  It was the coaching staff that decided to play Bartkowski more than Krug.  What do they know?

For me and my eye-test, Krug is not awful defensively, isn't great either.  He has trouble with bigger players in the corners and in front of his net.  I like his jam, but size/strength is a bit of an issue.  He is terrific once the B's have possession and in transition.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he's great defensively or will be. I just don't think he is a liability. I think his mistakes are more about him being a young NHL defenseman than an offensively gifted one. Bartkowski has the higher defensive ceiling, but he sure had some rough stretches last year, more than Krug.

Towards the end of last season, I would argue Krug had improved his game while Bartkowski took a step back.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's not a defensive liability because he is offensively skilled.  He's a defensive liability because he's often out of position, out of the zone all together or he's failing to make the correct move to break up the play.

I think he'll learn and get better, but for now AutoPenalty is a better option when trying to keep the puck out.

[/QUOTE]

I was actually impressed by his ability to get back into position quickly last year. he had his moments, but for the most part, I think his skating ability helps him cover some of those out. I like the kid. I think he adds a nice balance back there. If he comes down low he may get caught here and there, I'm fine with that, especially with a Vezina goalie back there, but when he comes in by the circles, he has a very accurate wrist shot from there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

I was actually impressed by his ability to get back into position quickly last year. he had his moments, but for the most part, I think his skating ability helps him cover some of those out. I like the kid. I think he adds a nice balance back there. If he comes down low he may get caught here and there, I'm fine with that, especially with a Vezina goalie back there, but when he comes in by the circles, he has a very accurate wrist shot from there.

[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, Kel, I think he's great.  I think he adds a whole different dynamic to the blueline that we haven't seen for at least a decade.  The guy can rip it and put it where he wants.  He'll grow into the defensive side, I'm sure.  That's not skill, it's knowledge.  He'll get it and will be a lot more Brian Leetch than Phil Housley.  Today, however, it's opposite.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Krug is indispensable...terrific talent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claudorr. Show Claudorr's posts

Krug is a keeper. Nobody on the roster can replace him. Hamilton is going to be good, but not as good as Krug, offense wise. And don't forget : Krug has only one year experience...he will only improve. On the defense side, he is pretty good actually. The players in Providence have yet to prove themselves in the NHL.Krug has shown he can star in this league.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Claudorr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Krug is a keeper. Nobody on the roster can replace him. Hamilton is going to be good, but not as good as Krug, offense wise. And don't forget : Krug has only one year experience...he will only improve. On the defense side, he is pretty good actually. The players in Providence have yet to prove themselves in the NHL.Krug has shown he can star in this league.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of this, and I think Krug is the better offensive defenseman right now, but I think Hamiltons offensive game is going to just get better as well. I would argue that in a couple of years, Hamiltons offensive numbers will be right up there with his.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of this, and I think Krug is the better offensive defenseman right now, but I think Hamiltons offensive game is going to just get better as well. I would argue that in a couple of years, Hamiltons offensive numbers will be right up there with his.

/QUOTE]

True, Krug's offensive game is definitely better. But Hamilton's D game is light years ahead of Krug's......hence the TOI disparity. Plus, Hamilton is still a few years younger.

No disrespect to Krug though.....if he keeps working on his D he may yet become a star in this league. Not there yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Krug gives us a nice look on the backend...but like with all young dmen i find he gets outta position a bit more then he should...some of this is easily corrected with his skating...and i have no problem with a guy making a mistake by effort.   I figure 2.5 m x2.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

/QUOTE]

True, Krug's offensive game is definitely better. But Hamilton's D game is light years ahead of Krug's......hence the TOI disparity. Plus, Hamilton is still a few years younger.

No disrespect to Krug though.....if he keeps working on his D he may yet become a star in this league. Not there yet.

[/QUOTE]

I think Krug will get better defensively, my point is I think Hamiltons offensive ceiling is higher than some people may think. I think the kid is going to have a fantastic overall game.

Sections
Shortcuts