Lack of goaltending depth

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Lack of goaltending depth

Last summer I looked at the Bruins goalie prospects and thought wow, we're deep for the forseeable future. Now? Not so much.

Khudobin will be gone, so barring a trade for a cheap backup, Sveberg will be called up. Not bad, as I think he'll be a servicable backup. But that means our depth for the short term does not look that great, and lord knows who is going to be playing for Providence next year.

Hutchinson is gone, so there's no one in the system beyond Svedberg with a reasonable amount of pro experience.

The only pro goalie is Adam Morrison, who got lit up like a Christmas tree in the ECHL this year.

Zane Gothberg was a freshman at UND this year - I liked what I was able to see of him, but he's a few years away yet from going pro, even in the AHL.

And then there's Subban, who still has some eligibility years left for junior - do they push him up to Providence next year or let him continue to develop in he OHL?

As it stands, I'm not worried about the goalies for Boston next year, but Providnce could be a mess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Lack of goaltending depth

I am thinking Svedberg will get one more season in the A. PC will get a cheap backup of the Auld variety as filler.

Svedberg (should he continue to progress) will get the Rask-heir apparent treatment.

Still pretty weak between the pipes for an organization....quite right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Lars Volden = Roy + Brodeur + Hasek.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Last summer I looked at the Bruins goalie prospects and thought wow, we're deep for the forseeable future. Now? Not so much.

Khudobin will be gone, so barring a trade for a cheap backup, Sveberg will be called up. Not bad, as I think he'll be a servicable backup. But that means our depth for the short term does not look that great, and lord knows who is going to be playing for Providence next year.

Hutchinson is gone, so there's no one in the system beyond Svedberg with a reasonable amount of pro experience.

The only pro goalie is Adam Morrison, who got lit up like a Christmas tree in the ECHL this year.

Zane Gothberg was a freshman at UND this year - I liked what I was able to see of him, but he's a few years away yet from going pro, even in the AHL.

And then there's Subban, who still has some eligibility years left for junior - do they push him up to Providence next year or let him continue to develop in he OHL?

As it stands, I'm not worried about the goalies for Boston next year, but Providnce could be a mess.

I think there is a Norwegian Goalie called Volden who plays in the Finnish elite league as well.

Dunno much about him other than i remember he was here for he rookie camp last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It will be interesting to watch things in Providence this year.  I think that Rask and Svedberg will be 1-2 for the foreseeable future, so barring major injury issues I'm not too concerned.

But yeah, if Rask blows a hammy, who would the backup be for Svedberg?  And who would play in Providence?  

Gothberg wasn't even the starter at UND last year, right?  I would think he'll be there for at least another 2 years.

If Matt Dalton leaves the KHL, do the Bruins still have his rights?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I forgot about Volden - any one seen a recent prospect report on him? I saw he had a 4-4-1 record this season, but with a 2.01 and a .927. Would he be capable of taking over the starter's spot in Providence if PC doesn't make a move for an Auld like player and needs to promote Svedberg?

I cringe at the idea of Morrison being third on he depth chart.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

It will be interesting to watch things in Providence this year.  I think that Rask and Svedberg will be 1-2 for the foreseeable future, so barring major injury issues I'm not too concerned.

But yeah, if Rask blows a hammy, who would the backup be for Svedberg?  And who would play in Providence?  

Gothberg wasn't even the starter at UND last year, right?  I would think he'll be there for at least another 2 years.

If Matt Dalton leaves the KHL, do the Bruins still have his rights?

I don't think so Fletch, but I'm not certain.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Never considered Hutchinson to be depth, had good stretches here n there. Book is going to be bummed about his boy Mikey, boy crush.

That would be good if PC could get Volden over to fight it out with Subban for the starting job in Providence. I don't see what else Svedberg has to prove in the AHL and why the Bruins would want to bring in a scrub-Auld-type.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillsBruins. Show WillsBruins's posts

I would also like to see Svedberg up next year, i think he can be really really good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Boy crush?  I didn't realize I was waving the Hutch flag.  I thought he might be able to pull it together, and I'm actually surprised they didn't qualify him for the exact reason this thread exists.  I thought for sure he'd split time with Subban in the A this year (though I haven't looked at Subban's age - he is AHL eligible, right?) as a capable AHL backup/platoon guy.  I still won't be surprised in he turns into Mike Smith - tall, rangy goalie who doesn't get a sniff until he's 25 or 26.  Even their AHL stats are similar....

Oh, wait, I see it now.

Are you not entertained?!?!

Sections
Shortcuts