Landeskog named youngest Captain in NHL history.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Landeskog named youngest Captain in NHL history.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404504

Just 19 - unreal.
    Fletch what's the reaction to this out in Denver?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Landeskog named youngest Captain in NHL history.

Very interesting.  I haven't heard much yet, but you really have to wonder about how this goes over with the rest of the team.  I believe that Stastny and Hejduk remain as assistants, which means Duchene and Eric Johnson aren't anything.  I think Stastny and Hejduk went through the motions last year.

The most logical choice seemed to be Ryan O'Reilly, in my opinion, but he remains unsigned.  It seems risky to me, for a team that has some older, more experienced candidates.

On the other hand, you couldn't pick a better 19 year old and if leader by example is the best form of leadership, Landeskog and O'Reilly were the two best leaders and hardest workers last year.

A part of me likes this, while another part sees this within the pattern of desperate, haphazard moves this team has been making.

I think I would have gone with:
    O'Relly, C
    Landeskog, A
    Johnson, A

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Who was the captain last season?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Milan Heijduk or how ever its spelled

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Its Hejduk wasn't that far off.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640843&navid=DL|NHL|home

That article says he didn't want the C anymore and gave it up end of last season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, Hejduk gave it up voluntarily, which was the right thing to do.  Can't have the captain carrying the worst +/- on the team year after year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Personally, I've always thought the Captain letter was over-rated. Guys that are leaders will be leaders regardless of who the marketing department decides the fans think are the most leader-like.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Olsonic's comment:

Personally, I've always thought the Captain letter was over-rated. Guys that are leaders will be leaders regardless of who the marketing department decides the fans think are the most leader-like.

Agreed.  It is kind of a figurehead position in most cases.  You get to talk to the refs...bfd

Kind of like the manager a McDonalds.  Your shirt and nametag are different but you're doing the same thing as everyone else...

In this case I think the issue is the vote of confidence the team is placing in Landeskog.  Or a cynic would point out the reluctance to place that same vote of confidnence in more experienced, accomplished players like Duchene, Stastny, Johnson, and O'Reilly...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Olsonic's comment:

I disagree. Way too much on a young player who should be concentrating on his game developing instead of worrying about the burdens that come with being a captain. I've read he is a leader everyhwere he has been and that he was captain material but it is too soon for this kid or any kid.
    Captains have to call player only meetings, go to the coach about problems a player may be having on the ice or off the ice, organize team gatherings etc..

i don't know enough about the other players leadership abilities to suggest who may be a better choice, I'm thinking a player like Steve Downie, but who knows. i do know this kid has the skill to be one of the top players in the game and I would have waited intil that potential was fullfiled before naming him captain. Just my opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

(this quote system is completely broken)

I actually agree with you Kel when you put it like that, it does create some expectations from the media and fans.

But as far as the internal responsibilities, I just believe that stuff (like calling a team meeting, speak to the coach about problems with a player) happens regardless of whether or not you sew a letter on someones shirt.

I also believe the organization of team gatherings is more of something for high-school teams, in the pros they have management do this stuff (this is a hunch on my part).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I remember when the press kept asking Brett Hull about having the "C" taken away from him by Keenan. Hull laughed and said "Everyone knows who the leader in the Blues locker room is!" If Landeskog is that leader then the Avs made the right choice, if he isn't that leader that boisterous player in Colorado isn't going to shut his mouth in between periods just because he doesn't wear the "C".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Just observing the Avs from afar I figured Dushcene would have been the heir apparent.  Landeskog must have some intangebles that caused club brass to sit up and take notice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Just observing the Avs from afar I figured Dushcene would have been the heir apparent.  Landeskog must have some intangebles that caused club brass to sit up and take notice.

I've read he does have those intagibles. I just think he may be too young, but if you look at the roster, nobody really jumps out at you either.

Either way, real good young player, but I think if Duchene can stay healthy he is a tad better.
    Not many Avs fans would agree with me on that one I'm sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sometimes, you guys are really amazing.

Since when did any of you become insiders at the Avs camp?

OC, someone being named captain is a heck of a lot more than having the letter sewn on the jersey.  Outside of the pride, which can drive or sink a player, the chosen leader plays a very important role.  I'm not sure if you've ever been involved in anything that has to do with a large group working towards accomplishing a task.  When focus or goals get lost, the leader often has to bring everyone to the table to get back on track. 

Whether or not the players buy into words or actions is a different story.  If they don't, it may be management's fault for picking the wrong guy.  Playing games is not the same as fighting a war, but leaders are leaders no matter where you go.  If 10 Privates are huddled down behind a berm and the Sarge tosses a grenade and goes over the top, the Privates are likely to follow. 

If upper management deems a contstruction site needs to be finished by Friday and at quitting time, the supervisor is still out there with his hammer and nails, other workers might stick around.

In hockey, when things are mess, the Captain brings the group together for a call out session, a moral boosting or just a venting evening.  This isn't something that can be done by management.  Management is on the other team.  Also, when stuff isn't going properly, the players look to and go to the Captain to discuss the issues and if they warrant it, the Captain will present the concerns to the coach, GM, or higher.

There is also the "gang" is of things.  When a player arrives at his new team, assuming the team is not a wreck, he will do what he can to earn the respect of the Captain, considering the Captain has the respect of everyone else on the team.  Should problems arise, the Captain can address them individually.  If Chris Neil were to be traded to Boston and a few guys had an issue with him (understandably), Chara would certainly have meetings with those players to quell the lynch mob.  He doesn't need the "C" on his jersey to do so, but he has the "C" on his jersey because of it.

Lord knows why I'm typing my fingers off about this subject.  I think I'm askew due to the dismissal of the role.  Captains of hockey teams are very different than any other sport. 

I don't know too much about Landeskog as a person or as a player.  I don't follow the Avs very much at all.  I used to when it was Roy, Sakic, Forsberg Blake, (you know who), but lately...who cares.  I do wish this kid the best.  Some young players have been named Captains and have become hockey icons.  For more than half of my life, Yzerman was Captain in Detroit.  I have always thought that was pretty awesome.

TLDR.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'm not trying to minimize the role, I just reallly agree with what Sandog said.  If he's truly the leader or will truly become the leader, then this is a smart move.  If he's not the leader, than this makes things complicated, and trying to fake it isn't going to help anyone.  I think the feeling in Denver is that Ryan O'Reilly was the most practical choice, but nobody really knows and I haven't heard one single negative word said about Landeskog.

I'm not trying to pretend I'm an insider or anything else, but I watch a lot of Avs games and go to a good number of them.  I'll say this, Matt Duchene and Paul Stastny did not match the effort, spirit, or effectiveness of Landeskog and O'Reilly last year.  Landeskog and O'Reilly were the best players on that team.

Landeskog will be a beast too.  Total power forward.  Plays like Neely, outside of the fighting.  He hits, drives the net, and has really good hands.  And he does it on every shift.  If leading by example is really important, then this could be a good choice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I have no idea who is considered a leader out in CO but I'm surprised that a 19 year old kid would be named captain. How old was Crosby when he was named captain?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Sure, name a kid captain of your NHL team.  What could possibly go wrong?

cough*Joe Thornton*cough

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

C'mon.  That wasn't a thread killing comment, was it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Lol no it wasn't. Just a lot less traffic now with the changes and lack of features being added or restored.

Honestly, I don't understand why a young kid with barely any NHL experience would be named captain. You'd think they'd want to name someone who has been around the league and knows/has a good rapport with some of the officials.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Since you'd always like to have a captain or alternate captain on the ice, I would think that this would be closely tied to TOI.  Since Chara is on the ice pretty much the whole night it makes sense he has it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

That's a valid point. Still seems interesting that you'd have a young kid go and try and have a conversation with a referee. Ref might take it as who does this punk think he is questioning me?

Sections
Shortcuts