larry brooks article

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: larry brooks article

In Response to Re: larry brooks article:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : If Steckel was a dirty player, I might agree.  He is not, so I disagree.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You don't necessarily have to be a dirty player to deliver a questionable (dirty) hit.Maybe Steckel didn't think the result would be as bad but it was.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : You don't necessarily have to be a dirty player to deliver a questionable (dirty) hit.Maybe Steckel didn't think the result would be as bad but it was.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    My thoughts exactly.I'm sure Steckel had no idea Crosby would be hurt on the play but he certainly meant to make contact.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : Any hit to the head can cause a head injury.  Both were forehead smashes to the dashers,he had his bell rung on both. Any Morin/moron should have seen this and responded. The fact is the big bad B's of old would have responded, for cripes sake they went into the fn stands armed with shoes, what kind of a hockey retaliation was that. To play as a TEAM you have to back up your TEAMMATES especially the physically challenged players and when he is a star it is tenfold, and |Sav is one of these. Last week a big todo of Greskin reaching 50, which he would never have reached without Sementhead, McSorely, MR. Lays and others protecting his @$$ on every shift.  You don't have to be a team of goons, you have to be a TEAM!
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

That is very hard to understand.  Especially for a Moron like me. I haven't heard that play on words with my name since I was 12 so nice one. 

This is 2011 not the 1970's,80's, or 90's.  Why does everyone on here feel like the Bruins need to be big and bad like the 'old days'.  They are pretty tough in my eyes without beating people with shoes and getting hit with tire irons in the face.  Shave you mustache, cut off that mullet and get with the times!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The days of the Bertuzzi/Moore incident are hopefully long gone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : My thoughts exactly.I'm sure Steckel had no idea Crosby would be hurt on the play but he certainly meant to make contact.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

“Contrary to popular belief, I feel like it was incidental,” Steckel said. “I didn’t see him. I didn’t look."

Dez, if you can read minds, can you also predict the future?  Do you know the Powerball numbers?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivvak. Show kivvak's posts

The first game the Bruins played against the Penguins this season the same DB that nearly decapitated Marc Savard and probably ended his career took a run at David Krejci and drilled him into the boards when the puck wasn't anywhere near him. He also drilled Adam McQuaid from behind in front of the Bruins net when the puck was in the corner, he came all the way from the blue line to run him. And the Bruins did nothing!. Marc Savard and Andrew Ference are the only players on this team who stand up for thier teammates. Both guys have jumped players to defend Lucic and Lucic has not jumped in to defend anyone in two years. Until the big boys on this team start defending their teammates the Matt Cookes of the league will continue to take runs at our stars to gain an edge. Wake up Bruins

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

The Bruins need another defining moment to re-assert an intimidating identity. Brooks is a bit off base in his article, but it highlights a problematic perception about the Bruins. The collapse against Philly last year only heightened that push-over sense. I can't imagine any team in the East's upper echelon would be worried about facing the Bruins at this point. Not saying they need to goon up, but they need to show some more fortitude. And this isn't a comment about their lack of locker room "fire"-- which is a common message on these boards. They just need to ... show up when their backs are against the wall.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : “Contrary to popular belief, I feel like it was incidental,” Steckel said. “I didn’t see him. I didn’t look." Dez, if you can read minds, can you also predict the future?  Do you know the Powerball numbers?
    So you expect Steckel to say "yeah,I meant to hit him but I never expected him to get hurt so bad"?Crosby was looking the other way,Steckel was looking forward as he "incidentally"made contact with Crosby.I don't need ESP as I have access to 2 working eyes and can base my judgement on what I saw with them.Besides,I don't think that Steckel saying "I feel like it was incidental" is a very adamant denial on his part.As far as the powerball goes,I have a good feeling about 11 and 29.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : So you expect Steckel to say "yeah,I meant to hit him but I never expected him to get hurt so bad"?Crosby was looking the other way,Steckel was looking forward as he "incidentally"made contact with Crosby.I don't need ESP as I have access to 2 working eyes and can base my judgement on what I saw with them.Besides,I don't think that Steckel saying "I feel like it was incidental" is a very adamant denial on his part.As far as the powerball goes,I have a good feeling about 11 and 29.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Exactly. I also seem to recall Cooke saying something to the effect that he didn't mean to hurt Savard and that he thought the hit was clean. When Campbell came out with no suspension it only seemed to justify Cookes reply. If you are going by a players response to a dirty hit by what he says to the media then no Bruins fans should have a problem with Cookes hit. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There is a big difference between Cooke and Steckel.  If you don't know that, I can see how you would feel both actions were similar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

My comments about this whole topic have been in regards to both teams response to both hits which was nothing. I don't really care about who delivered the hits or if one player has a clean or dirty reputation or not. All i am saying is that in both instances in my opinion the hit was dirty and they both illicited no response from the team whose player got  hit. Like i said earlier , responses by teams to a hit ala the Bertuzzi/Moore incident are over. If thats what you are waiting for i think you will be disappointed .   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0sMqyR3TIU&feature=feedrec_grec_index

No fine or suspension here.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I also saw no response from the Coyotes to the elbow. I watched the Richards hit on Booth and the Panthers did basically nothing. Maybe its just a general malaise by players in the N.H.L to dirty hits. Like i said i have seen fights break out over a clean hit for no reason. The players ire seems to be misguided in many cases but Thorntons staged fight with Cooke will have to do i guess. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't see a beatdown when Crosby got corked at the winter classic (and don't tell me it wasn't intentional). Where was Orpik,Engelland,Letang,Talbot.Nada. 
    Because it wasn't intentional. Go watch the many angles of the replay. There was no intent. What Steckel just happened to know Crosby would skate right in front of him?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

How about the second hit against the end boards that put Crosby out. Was that accidental as well ? I guess the unwritten rule about hitting star players is a myth. There was no response from the Penguins after the second Crosby hit as well. You know the hit , the one where Crosby gets his head smashed against the glass from behind.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]How about the second hit against the end boards that put Crosby out. Was that accidental as well ? I guess the unwritten rule about hitting star players is a myth. There was no response from the Penguins after the second Crosby hit as well. You know the hit , the one where Crosby gets his head smashed against the glass from behind.
    Do you know how many times that same type of hit happens a game? More than once. Crosby was just unlucky in that fact that he is out resulting in a concussion. There was no response because there was no need for one at the time. No dirty hits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : Do you know how many times that same type of hit happens a game? More than once. Crosby was just unlucky in that fact that he is out resulting in a concussion. There was no response because there was no need for one at the time. No dirty hits.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Your opinion on both hits are that they were clean and in my view they were intentional and dirty. Lets just agree to disagree and call it a wash.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Apparently, our little corner of the hockey world is the only one that reacted with stunned disbelief to the Bruins' failure to respond two weeks ago when Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland smashed Marc Savard into the boards with a forearm to the mouth that left the Boston center "woozy." How is it possible that an organization of such heritage, one that lists Cam Neely on the letterhead as club president, could simply watch again -- again! -- while Savard was hammered again -- again! -- by the same team -- again! -- without a response? It was no accident the Bruins were so psychologically weak they were beaten by the Flyers after taking a 3-0 lead in games and then a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7 of the conference semis last spring. It's not going to be an accident when this team of imposing ability and strength on the ice underachieves again. They don't care enough to protect one another. Or at least, they never cared enough to protect Savard, or to stand up for Savard, whose career is in jeopardy after he sustained another concussion last Saturday following a check from Colorado's Matt Hunwick . The coach, Claude Julien , has never seemed to see an issue. Neely? It must be studied corporate blindness from the suite above the rink. The Big Bad Bruins ceased to exist a long, long time ago. ****** That's a pretty big rip.  Brookes is a dope, but still, that's a big rip. Dang!

Spot on NAS! A reasonable response by The Team is expected.  The goonery is history but not the response to illegal or overly aggressive hits by the opposition.  I am so tired of watching TT get hammered in front with little or no response.  The one thing Stuart would not put up with.  McQuaid may not be talented but he does make sure TT is protected.  Finally Ference, the whipping boy of many posters, is one who does respond immediately when other team members are illegally hit, by accident or not.  Despite my ramblings the Bs need to respond in kind.  The opposite point of view seemingly gives other teams the intiative to be aggressive when playing the Bs.  Intimidation may not be the correct word here, but passive response is imo not hockey. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : Sometimes it takes until the next game, as in the case of Cooke's initial hit, when the Bruins stood alone like a herd of sheep, but yes...they're always there to defend each other within a week or two of one of them receiving a cheap shot. While I'm not a Bruins fan, I have a lot of respect for the franchise. Sadly, Brooks is right:  there's no way that some Bruins teams of the past would have been as meek as this one is when it comes to opponents dishing out hard hits (even ones that fall under the definition of legal) to one of their best players.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Look around the league at guys who have been put out by questionable hits with no retaliation by their own team.. Crosby ( Best Player in the League ) , Cammelari ( yes , Kennedy..that was a nice non response by your Habs as well ), Perron, Stuart to name a few.. Maybe toolbox Larry could have brought up those examples as well... Welcome to the new NHL... Why is this a Bruins issue ?  looks to me it's a league wide epidemic... As I said this is the new NHL where lack of respect for one another has been running rampant for a long time.. The NHL is too young ,for it's own good,  and players are a reflection of our younger society, where respect is a thing of the past..

I know now why Tortorella can't stand this guy..some of the best post game scrums  between him and Brookes are classic.. to quote a famous incident between these two after a game " John McLean? Go ask him.. Larry replies this is a waste of time...Good , now get the F#%K out of here...

Which is what I would respond to his article..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : Look around the league at guys who have been put out by questionable hits with no retaliation by their own team.. Crosby ( Best Player in the League ) , Cammelari ( yes , Kennedy..that was a nice non response by your Habs as well ), Perron, Stuart to name a few.. Maybe toolbox Larry could have brought up those examples as well... Welcome to the new NHL... Why is this a Bruins issue ?  looks to me it's a league wide epidemic... As I said this is the new NHL where lack of respect for one another has been running rampant for a long time.. The NHL is too young ,for it's own good,  and players are a reflection of our younger society, where respect is a thing of the past.. I know now why Tortorella can't stand this guy..some of the best post game scrums  between him and Brookes are classic.. to quote a famous incident between these two after a game " John McLean? Go ask him.. Larry replies this is a waste of time...Good , now get the F#%K out of here... Which is what I would respond to his article..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

Spot on Cowboys9 . Its not a Bruins issue , it is a league wide issue where players could give 2 shittz what happens if they hit a guy in the head because they know there will be no retaliation from anybody. And that goes for all teams.Respect for each other on the ice is long gone. Used to be players didn't even have to wear helmets.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from palealeman. Show palealeman's posts

i would like to think that someone would post this article in the briuns locker room,  i would also liketo see  mcgratten called up to talk to england and the pittsburg team!  go briuns

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : Look around the league at guys who have been put out by questionable hits with no retaliation by their own team.. Crosby ( Best Player in the League ) , Cammelari ( yes , Kennedy..that was a nice non response by your Habs as well ), Perron, Stuart to name a few.. Maybe toolbox Larry could have brought up those examples as well... Welcome to the new NHL... Why is this a Bruins issue ?  looks to me it's a league wide epidemic... As I said this is the new NHL where lack of respect for one another has been running rampant for a long time.. The NHL is too young ,for it's own good,  and players are a reflection of our younger society, where respect is a thing of the past.. I know now why Tortorella can't stand this guy..some of the best post game scrums  between him and Brookes are classic.. to quote a famous incident between these two after a game " John McLean? Go ask him.. Larry replies this is a waste of time...Good , now get the F#%K out of here... Which is what I would respond to his article..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

I agree with your points...this is an NHL reality. But the Bruins are a team that has long been known for being physical. They're not even close to that, and in fact despite having guys like Lucic are one of the meeker clubs in the league when it comes to retribution for cheap shots and hard hits. God knows they've had enough opportunities to send a message--certainly more than most. They don't do it...their reaction to the Matt Cooke initial hit was shocking for anyone who's watched the Bruins for more than 3-4 years.

A first step: drop the damned instigator rule and allow players to do more self-policing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

It either says something about today's NHL (no one retaliates like the old days) or the current status of the Bruins (they are but mere shadows of their former tough as nails persona) that Lucic went out of his way to THANK and PRAISE that Atlanta player who KO'd Cooke w/one punch in a fight some time after the Savard incident.

That's what the Bruins do for payback now? Thank players on other teams for doing their work for them? I know the goonie days are gone but w/the exception of Ference and maybe McQuaid this Bruins team seems not to care at all about standing up for their own.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : I agree with your points...this is an NHL reality. But the Bruins are a team that has long been known for being physical. They're not even close to that, and in fact despite having guys like Lucic are one of the meeker clubs in the league when it comes to retribution for cheap shots and hard hits. God knows they've had enough opportunities to send a message--certainly more than most. They don't do it...their reaction to the Matt Cooke initial hit was shocking for anyone who's watched the Bruins for more than 3-4 years. A first step: drop the damned instigator rule and allow players to do more self-policing.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

Kennedy you summarized my discontent with the New NHL.  The "trap", parity, and rules that either don't work or are not used.  The instigator rule is a joke.  Team response to unwarranted aggressive play and/or illegal hits is definitely restricted by the instigator rule.  The third man in is never ever called to make the instigator rule seemingly ridiculous.  The two together is a paradox. Throw the instigator rule out, and call third man in is the solution.   

The trap and parity (hard cap) is fine for competition yet the end result is non response to aggressive play.  Points at a premium during the regular season make retaliatory strategy almost an after thought.  That will not change.  Nonetheless, The Bs use to be at least on par with the Flyers, not now. The Bs should resurrect the aggressive nature to their play.  No cheap shots unless you want to play in kind.  Some semblance of physical play would make teams adjust their play especially when the Bs are a home. 

Best of days Kennedy.  Liked your commentary. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]It either says something about today's NHL (no one retaliates like the old days) or the current status of the Bruins (they are but mere shadows of their former tough as nails persona) that Lucic went out of his way to THANK and PRAISE that Atlanta player who KO'd Cooke w/one punch in a fight some time after the Savard incident. That's what the Bruins do for payback now? Thank players on other teams for doing their work for them? I know the goonie days are gone but w/the exception of Ference and maybe McQuaid this Bruins team seems not to care at all about standing up for their own.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    When did Lucic supposedly go "out of his way to thank and praise " Evander Kane?He probably sent him a fruit basket too I suppose.I look forward to the day you post something positive about the Bruins that has nothing to do with the seventies.I miss those days too but they aren't coming back-ever.

Sections
Shortcuts