Lay Off FAT!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UCONN. Show UCONN's posts

Re: Lay Off FAT!

In response to MeanE's comment:

Is FAT a commonly used term for Lucic? Had I know that and opened / read this thread first, I wouldn't  have started a similar one 30 minutes later. My bad, in any event...

It's interesting to see those stat comparisons, but how many of those guys are skating exclusively on the first line? (serious question, I don't know and I'm too lazy to looking that up).  I like Lucic and even when he's off his game can contribute, but I can't understand why he's still playing on the first line and why most people on these board keep him there in all of  the "what if" scenarios.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

It's a rough schedule this year. It's a reason, not an excuse.

Its a rough schedule for everyone. If he can't handle the grind then maybe he is not in ideal shape?

Now what is the word I am looking for that describes someone not in shape? Rhymes with "sat" I believe....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The schedule excuse is "NO EXCUSE". Not having it, all the other teams have to go through it as well. I'm pulling for but I will not lay off his horrible play.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Its a rough schedule for everyone. If he can't handle the grind then maybe he is not in ideal shape?

Now what is the word I am looking for that describes someone not in shape? Rhymes with "sat" I believe....

It's very possible he's not in ideal shape, it's very unlikely that he's actually fat as you all continue to call him. It's a fact that the Bs have played a lot of games in the past 2 months.

Having armchair quarterbacks call a professional athlete "Fat" and thinking it's funny is pathetic. I could see if the guy had a double chin and couldn't skate but I don't see a guy laboring up and down the ice each shift. Half of you are doing it thinking you're funny, I guess the other half of you are triathletes.

I see no one calling Horton "Fat" and I see the same effort from him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The schedule excuse is "NO EXCUSE". Not having it, all the other teams have to go through it as well. I'm pulling for but I will not lay off his horrible play.

Criticize his play, as it hasn't been good, and criticize his effort but criticizing his physique is dumb as I'd hazard a guess that he's in better shape than all of us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

It's very possible he's not in ideal shape, it's very unlikely that he's actually fat as you all continue to call him. It's a fact that the Bs have played a lot of games in the past 2 months.

Having armchair quarterbacks call a professional athlete "Fat" and thinking it's funny is pathetic. I could see if the guy had a double chin and couldn't skate but I don't see a guy laboring up and down the ice each shift. Half of you are doing it thinking you're funny, I guess the other half of you are triathletes.

I know what you are saying, just having a little fun.

In truth, the nickname Fat for Lucic has little to do about him being actually fat....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

For those of you who are not on BDC daily, FAT is a joke to poke fun at the media that was blasting Lucic during the skating sessions that were held at BU before the lockout ended.  None of us are making fun of Lucic or think that he is fat.  You will also see Cedfano or some iteration of that name used for Chara, as a poster absolutely butchered his name in a post and it stuck.  For those of us who come on this board daily, it is a little lightheartedness that we use while we are debating each other on a regular basis.  So eveyone can relax already.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I know what you are saying, just having a little fun.

In truth, the nickname Fat for Lucic has little to do about him being actually fat....

I wish people would just follow along. If people go on vacation and miss things don't try to jump in and fix everything right away, it won't work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Exactly, that's why I have posted similar players to Lucic.  It isn't an excuse, it seems to me that it is a reality of the situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

To whit:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Herein and forthwith etc., let the following hold true for each instance wherein Milan Lucic, aka #17, is referred to as FAT or FAT Daddy:

1. The hysteria during the shortened training camp that led to repeated comments that Lucic had gotten Fat during the lockout was ridiculous and worthy of being mocked;
    2. The ridiculousness of that hysteria not withstanding, and hockey players being hockey players, there was great potential for Lucic's teammates to riff off of the accusation by referring to him as FAT - as in "I hear "Lucic is Fat" so often, I'm beginning to think that's his name" or getting a #17 jersey made that reads "FAT" across the back.  Jersey is, of course, in double extra wide.
    3. The whole FAT saga has become emblematic of the way people criticize the way Lucic's game looks rather than what he accomplishes on the ice.  Referring to him as "FAT", particularly when discussing yet another round of criticism of his game, should remind us of the stupidity of those first comments about his supposed weight gain.
    4. FAT is not intended to sound like he is my best friend, someone I know in real life, someone whose jersey I wear, someone of whom I have posters up in my bedroom etc etc etc.  It doesn't attempt to suggest a close relationship with Lucic; it attempts to mock those who criticize him for spurious reasons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to UCONN's comment:

Is FAT a commonly used term for Lucic? Had I know that and opened / read this thread first, I wouldn't  have started a similar one 30 minutes later. My bad, in any event...

It's interesting to see those stat comparisons, but how many of those guys are skating exclusively on the first line? (serious question, I don't know and I'm too lazy to looking that up).  I like Lucic and even when he's off his game can contribute, but I can't understand why he's still playing on the first line and why most people on these board keep him there in all of  the "what if" scenarios.

I answered the Fat question for you UCONN, in terms of "1st line"  not sure, but if I had to guess, they all are probably in the same category in terms of minutes played.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

To whit:

Thank you DrCC!  I was too lazy to go find it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]

So suddenly he will just magically pick it up next year commensurate to his paycheck? Is that how you are suggesting he gauges his own effort?  I'm not suggesting that at all.  You are the one that brought up his contract.

He is about to get star money, he knows, it and the organization knows it. Yet going into his new contract he is severly underperforming which is a problem....especially with the cap contracting next season.  Should your obsession with what Lucic makes be something that you are upset with PC for?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

None of the players listed will be making elite money ($6 million) next season. Surely that kind of cash can buy more than 5 goals?

What will Clarkson receive?  Not sure if it will be $6, but I am sure it won't be chump change.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

C'mon JM, that's not true on a couple of levels.  For one, if the issue is how much Cap he takes up, he's only taking up $4M this year, so that's the impact of his salary relative to his current performance.  This is exactly what MeanE is talking about - people jumping off the Lucic bandwagon in droves for made up reasons that come down to him having an off year.  The last two years, he had 56 goals, averaged over 60 points, but he's had a stretch of 40 games...no, I take that back, because no one was moaning about his performance when they were 15-3-3.  He's had a stretch of say 20 games where he has not produced and people want to trade him and they would rather have Chris Stewart, who is widely regarded as a poisonously selfish guy, or David Clarkson who has had an almost identical drop off after the first 10-15 games as Lucic and is about to become a UFA or Iginla who is rapidly deteriorating as a player or Clowe who had zero goals when he was traded - ZERO - but hey, he'll hit some people so the fact the team isn't scoring will bother us less.  Clowe makes $400K less than Lucic right now and is a UFA.  If he doesn't get a raise, it will be because...his play this year will have scared people off.  He's also six years older than Lucic, and in his second year of declining production.

That's the other level.  We don't know what Clowe, Clarkson, Iginla will make next year.  We know Ryan will make $900K less than Lucic, but then his deal was signed two seasons earlier and it's only his second contract.  Hartnell and Simmonds are very good deals.  Khudos to Homer.  But Iginla could very well hold out for $6M.  Clarkson could get offers in that range.  Ryan will almost certainly top $6M when he signs his next deal - if he had stuck to his guns lst time, he might already be there.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to G4ck5's comment:

Its not that us/we B's fan hate Looch, we just know he can play better. We have all seen it, and Looch knows he can play better. I just hate some nights Looch has no emotion or doesn't feel like he should skate. He has made terrible passes that have lead to goals everytime. Most can agree that its a love hate relationship with Looch. He is a terrible girlfriend that shows spots of brilliance.

All of the criticisms that you metnion can be attributed to exhaustion, could they not?  He has made terrible passes that have lead to goals yet he still is tied for the best plus/minus on the list.  I wonder what all of these other power forwards look like on a nightly basis.  I don't watch them, so I don't know, but the one's that I have seen against the B's haven't shown me anything more than what Looch brings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and the legendary Bobby Ryan, who everyone is always stalking on e-harmony?  He has 5 more points than Lucic.  5.  1 every 8 games.

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I agree 50. The original point of the thread is why some were bashing Lucic this season when his numbers are "relatively" the same as other so-called power forwards. To me it is because he is soon to be in"star territory" money-wise unlike the rest on the list and, thus, needs to step it up in my opinion.

Did PC sign Lucic to a $6 millions dollar contract extgension because he thought Lucic is a star?  Did he sign Lucic because when he is right, he brings a combination of hitting, fighting, and scoring that very few if any can match in the game today?  The key word in that is "right".  Lucic is not right as we see him now.  In the beginning of the season when the schedule was "normal" he was hitting, scoring, and knocking guys out like Carkner.  I believe that Lucic is giving us everything he has right now.  I feel that with some rest, that I believe management and coaching should be considering right now, he will provide everything that PC signed him to the extension for.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

He certainly looks off.  But then, his 82-game pace is for 50 points.  A dip from the back-to-back 60 points he had the past two seasons, but also not so large an amount to be concerned.

This is why the saying "Statistics lie and liars use statistics" came into being. The whole theme of this thread is, use statistics to justify what all of our eyes can see on 9 out of 10 nights. Lucic is having a bad year, looks lost, is a turnover machine, seems to bring inconsistent effort. We all like the guy, he just isn't impacting the game like he can/is getting paid to. End of story in my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

He's not playing like he is capable of. Numbers are down. Way down. He should have more than 5 goals. Seems every game latley he coughs up the puck that leads to either a goal or a quality scoring chance. And you can now almost call it before it happens. Thats concerning.

The big thing is, okay, he's struggling offensivley, it happens, but where is the physical game and the legs moving?? That to me, equals effort. Why when Julien calls him out publicily (Horton too) before the Washington game do we all of a sudden see the Lucic that us Bruins fans absolutley love? Only to dissapear?

Only he knows the answer.

He doesn't have the legs, that's the crux of the problem!  If Lucic was the only power forward that was struggling this season, I would probably line up with the rest of the witch hunt.  But from what I can see of comparable players stats, they are experiencing the same dfficulties.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to G4ck5's comment:

Its not that us/we B's fan hate Looch, we just know he can play better. We have all seen it, and Looch knows he can play better. I just hate some nights Looch has no emotion or doesn't feel like he should skate. He has made terrible passes that have lead to goals everytime. Most can agree that its a love hate relationship with Looch. He is a terrible girlfriend that shows spots of brilliance.

All of the criticisms that you metnion can be attributed to exhaustion, could they not?  He has made terrible passes that have lead to goals yet he still is tied for the best plus/minus on the list.  I wonder what all of these other power forwards look like on a nightly basis.  I don't watch them, so I don't know, but the one's that I have seen against the B's haven't shown me anything more than what Looch brings.

Here's the other thing - if Lucic's bad passes result in goals "every time," where the h--l are his teammates?  He is far from the only Bruin to give the puck away, though he does give it away more than any other Bruin forward according to the NHL's real-time stats.  31 giveaways in 40 games.  You know who that ties him with?  Pavel Datsyuk.  Martin St. Louis.  He's got three more giveaways than Cindy Crosby, but then Crosby has played 3 fewer games, too.  You know who used to lead the league in giveaways year after year?  Gretzky.  Because when you try to make things happen, sometimes they go wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

@readsocks - "who wants to be on the ice with Lucic?"

I'd love to see a poll.  How many players are there in the NHL?  I suspect the answer is that number minus Ryan Miller.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because when you try to make things happen, sometimes they go wrong.

Are you really trying to attribute Lucic's turnovers to over-aggressive creativity? Come on now...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

He certainly looks off.  But then, his 82-game pace is for 50 points.  A dip from the back-to-back 60 points he had the past two seasons, but also not so large an amount to be concerned.

This is why the saying "Statistics lie and liars use statistics" came into being. The whole theme of this thread is, use statistics to justify what all of our eyes can see on 9 out of 10 nights. Lucic is having a bad year, looks lost, is a turnover machine, seems to bring inconsistent effort. We all like the guy, he just isn't impacting the game like he can/is getting paid to. End of story in my opinion.

So it is a coincidence that others that play his position are struggling as well?  I don't think that anybody is arguing over what we see from Lucic and what we know he is capable of.  I think the argument is why?  I think that the numbers leaguewide for his position and role bear out that these guys are tired due to the schedule.  Is your reason like others that he isn't playing up to snuff because he is married?  What is everyone else's excuse for power forwards?  As I have said, can any or all of your concerns about his play be attributed to exhaustion?