Lay Off FAT!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Lay Off FAT!

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

This is why the saying "Statistics lie and liars use statistics" came into being. The whole theme of this thread is, use statistics to justify what all of our eyes can see on 9 out of 10 nights. Lucic is having a bad year, looks lost, is a turnover machine, seems to bring inconsistent effort. We all like the guy, he just isn't impacting the game like he can/is getting paid to. End of story in my opinion.

That's just it though.  In spite of all the things we see with our eyes, his actual production is only down a little bit from his two best years.  It may be that what we see and think is important is not having the detrimental effects we think it should.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because when you try to make things happen, sometimes they go wrong.

Are you really trying to attribute Lucic's turnovers to over-aggressive creativity? Come on now...

I wouldn't say that, but answer this question, do you feel that teams try and match up their best d pairing and defensive forwards against the KHL line?  Maybe Lucic's turnovers are due to the fact that Looch is trying to due to much because he is feeling the heat from the media, fans, and coaching staff and he doesn't have the energy in the tank that it takes to compete against defensive forwards that may not rely on the physical game the way that  Lucic does and rely on their skating ability.  He takes huge hits from subban, keeps motoring on, he gets stitched up on the bench last night, misses only one shift.  I am convinced he is giving us what he has to give.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Hey, I know half of you are joking with the "Fat" nickname but the other half don't realize it and are just calling him fat and out of shape.

I don't see the type of effort and skill that I have seen in the past from Lucic but I don't see him as being out of shape this year. Just see him as more tired, like the rest of the team, like the rest of the league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

The schedule excuse is "NO EXCUSE". Not having it, all the other teams have to go through it as well. I'm pulling for but I will not lay off his horrible play.

Criticize his play, as it hasn't been good, and criticize his effort but criticizing his physique is dumb as I'd hazard a guess that he's in better shape than all of us.

I'll bet he is too but he isn't showing it. It's a joke with the reference and you know how allot of us on here have real dry sarcastic sense of humor don't let the kokes get on you too much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to your list of "Down-year Power Forwards", here is mine.

They don't seem as "tired" as Lucic...

Evander Kane: 16 goals, 15 assists

Chris Stewart: 16 goals, 15 assists

Shane Doan: 13 goals, 11 assists

Dustin Brown: 15 goals, 11 assists

James Neal: 18 goals, 14 assists

Rick Nash: 17 goals, 18 assists

The list is hardly complete and it can be argued back and forth about what defines power forward, but I think it goes to show, for every "down year" power forward you listed, I've got one thats done just fine. Occam's Razor says, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In this case, I think (barring some unknown year-long injury) his game isn't where it needs to be. In Lucics case, how many years do we have to listen to, "When he get's his feet moving..."?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to your list of "Down-year Power Forwards", here is mine.

They don't seem as "tired" as Lucic...

Evander Kane: 16 goals, 15 assists Fantastic Season 1 true exception that I see, I guess looch should have spent the time off in vegas with what many consider a locker room cancer and coach killer.  Not sure why I never thhink of him though, thanks for bringing him up.

Chris Stewart: 16 goals, 15 assists Doesn't hit, 36 is far to few, not taking the beating on body that others who hit are.

Shane Doan: 13 goals, 11 assists only 1 more pt, same +/- , fewer hits, fewer pims

Dustin Brown: 15 goals, 11 assists only 3 more points than Looch, great player, why PC wanted him last year

James Neal: 18 goals, 14 assists Glen Murray like, not a power forward in my book, doesn't fight, doesn't hit enough to fit the category, plays with two of the most talented offensive players in the game today, so i expect his numbers to be better.

Rick Nash: 17 goals, 18 assists Not a power forward in my book, skilled player that is big

The list is hardly complete and it can be argued back and forth about what defines power forward, but I think it goes to show, for every "down year" power forward you listed, I've got one thats done just fine. Occam's Razor says, the simplest answer is usually the correct one. In this case, I think (barring some unknown year-long injury) his game isn't where it needs to be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Too many posts directed towards me so I will respond to all with this one. In my opinion, and the reason why I am increasingly disgruntled with his play, is that he signed a new contract some months ago for star money which is what $6 million per season is. Thus, he is soon to be the highest paid forward on the team. He knows he has to perform to expectations as does everyone else. And right now, not next season just because his big contract kicks in then.

The result so far? 5 goals, wavering intensity, and horrible defensive play. If he were still on his ELC or entering his first RFA contact I would not care too much, but he is not. He is now being paid to produce not just for potential any more.

I do not want to trade him, demote him, or anything else equally ridiculous.

Nor will I lay off Fat until he starts to play like a $6 million  man....that is, to his capabilities.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Lucics case, how many years do we have to listen to, "When he get's his feet moving..."?

About as many years as you will hear from the actual men that put on a sweater in the NHL that Milan Lucic is one of the toughest, if not the toughest player in the league!

http://www.playerspoll.ca/results/20112012-results/skills/who-is-the-toughest-player

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I would agree but his bad play started in the beginning of the season when the B's had an easy schedule.  I think the problem is that he is not being utilized properly.  He should not be on the first line this year.  There is to much pressure on Looch to score goals and its affecting his overall game.  If Clode would push the reset button and put him in a third line checking role I am sure the rest of his game will gradually fall into place.  

I also really think the lines should have been changed up at some point earlier in the season because a)  Other teams have cought on and found ways to defend them. b) the chemistry hasn't been there.  Throw the other teams some curve balls and see what happens.  And I am not talking about doing it for 1 game only.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Nor will I lay off Fat until he starts to play like a $6 million  man....that is, to his capabilities.

Thank you for typing this and it's exactly the way I feel!

Fat, Fat, Fat!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Thank you for typing this and it's exactly the way I feel!

Fat, Fat, Fat!

Then watch out, the knives will be coming in your direction soon.....Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]

Your comments on who is or isnt a power forward are just as subjective as mine are to list them. So nothing to discuss there, however your comment that: "About as many years as you will hear from the actual men that put on a sweater in the NHL that Milan Lucic is one of the toughest, if not the toughest player in the league!"

They said the same thing about Bob Probert and George Larocque. I dont want the guy to be the toughest kid on the block. I want him to play consistent and useful hockey. And he isn't. I wish I was, I think he's a decent guy and when he's on, I love his game. But its been about a year and then some since Ive seen it. And there is no metric or excuse that I need other than my eyes to tell me that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Too many posts directed towards me so I will respond to all with this one. In my opinion, and the reason why I am increasingly disgruntled with his play, is that he signed a new contract some months ago for star money which is what $6 million per season is. Thus, he is soon to be the highest paid forward on the team. He knows he has to perform to expectations as does everyone else. And right now, not next season just because his big contract kicks in then.

The result so far? 5 goals, wavering intensity, and horrible defensive play.  Is it possible that all of these results be a product of exhaustion? If he were still on his ELC or entering his first RFA contact I would not care too much, but he is not. He is now being paid to produce not just for potential any more.

First of all his bank account does not relect that he is a $6 million man. It reflects that he is a $4 million man.

What will Milan Lucic have to do next year to earn the $6 million that he will get at that time?  What are his capabilities?  Is 82 games, 30-30=60, +20, 130 PIMS, 200 hits, 6 fights (against only the "right" guys to fight) good enough?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

I have said it a few times on different posts, but I think that we, as Bruins fans need to give Fat a break.  Too many have been all over this guy!  Power Forwards are struggling with this schedule.  The nature of that position looks like it is taking it's toll on these big bruisers moreso than their highly skilled counterparts.

Scott Hartnell: 24 games 4 G 3 A 7 PTS -4 58 PIMS 54 hits

David Clarkson: 40 games 13 G 8 A 21PTS -6 64PIMS 70 hits

Bobby Ryan: 41 games 10 G 18 A 28 PTS +5 17 PIMS 73 hits

Jarome Iginla: 37 game 10 G 16 A 26 PTS -6 22 PIMS 63 hits

Chris Stewart: 39 games 16 G 15 A 31 PTS +4 38 PIMS 36 hits

Wayne Simmonds: 37 games 12 G 13 A 25 PTS -13 72 PIMS 57 hits

Ryan Clowe: 31 games 2 G 13 A 15 PTS -2 91 PIMS 83 hits

Milan Lucic: 39 games 5 G 18 A 23 PTS +5 59 PIMS 122 hits

Milan Lucic will be the first person to say that he is not happy with his game, but the way that Bruins fans have turned on this guy is pretty bad in my opinion.  Of this group, he is tied for the lead in Assists and plus/minus and leads by a lot in the hits category.  I know that some of you don't like some of these stats, but from what I can tell Looch doesn't look out of place amongst this group of Power Forwards.  Please share stats if you can think of any other power forwards that I missed, but to me it is a reflection of the impact that the condensed schedule has had on this part of the game.

I won't dispute the #'s above but,  Looch has always gone through periods as a BRUIN where he looked lazy out on the ice. This year his poor performances outweigh his good ones. Is it the schedule?  I don't know, but he is also making a ton of mental errors as well. When he's on his game, he dominates. When he's not, he looks foolish. If I had his body, I'd have to be "put to sleep".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to jmwalters's comment:

The result so far? 5 goals, wavering intensity, and horrible defensive play. If he were still on his ELC or entering his first RFA contact I would not care too much, but he is not. He is now being paid to produce not just for potential any more.

Easy jm he's still only a 4 mill guy lol. jk

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

The result so far? 5 goals, wavering intensity, and horrible defensive play.  Is it possible that all of these results be a product of exhaustion? If he were still on his ELC or entering his first RFA contact I would not care too much, but he is not. He is now being paid to produce not just for potential any more.

First of all his bank account does not relect that he is a $6 million man. It reflects that he is a $4 million man.

What will Milan Lucic have to do next year to earn the $6 million that he will get at that time?  What are his capabilities?  Is 82 games, 30-30=60, +20, 130 PIMS, 200 hits, 6 fights (against only the "right" guys to fight) good enough?

The heck with his capabilities, how about showing a PULSE?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Sounds like poetry of some type to me.  

Lucic should be judged on his contract.  His play is hesitant, skill oriented, and his anticipation of play (like the team) is off.  2011 Recchi was being ridiculed for being slow and too old.  Then....  Lucic will be fine in the playoffs imo.  I do have visions of Washington 2012 playoffs dancing in my head, me thinks the team is ready this year.  Lay off of the team,  unusual schedule this year and the team is a strong candidate for the Eastern Conference Finals.  

Now back to the real news, where in the world is carl soderberg? 

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I'm starting to think I preferred bachelor Lucic over married Lucic. 

Ya know marriage can affect your work...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Cut down on the turnovers.

Exactly

Im not gonna bother with looking it up but did you think to throw in the +- of these your comapring to ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Lucic: 31 givaways (most on the team), 16 takeaways for a differential of -15:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team=BOS&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=rtssPlayerStats#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Lucic: 31 givaways (most on the team), 16 takeaways for a differential of -15:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team=BOS&position=S&country=&status=&viewName=rtssPlayerStats#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

Chara 25 giveaways 3 takeaways -22, he's not worth his $7 million lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You display your ignorance. D men almost always have a negative differential. Comes with the territory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

'm not laying off either. What do you call someone who lives on the street and begs for money? A BUM- Why do we as a society call them that? It's because they've took it upon themselves to stop trying and gave up and think that society owes them something.  They made that choice to be a bum.Well I don't know if Lucic thinks he owed something,  but he certainly hasn't been performing to expectations at all. I don't cheer for Hartnell or Clowe unless they play for the Bruins. So, I could care less what they do. Lucic's hit #'s do nothing for me, because his hits have had less impact on games than the number of turn overs he's done which has caused goals. He hasn't had a fight since tje end of Jan. So, I'll call him out until he starts being the Lucic of old. Or unless I find a legitimate excuse as to why he's about as useful as having 19 bucks in ur bank account standing in front of an ATM .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Forget the stats, Fatso fails the eye test too often on too many nights.  When he is on his game, he is a nightmare for opponents and we've seen examples of that this year.  When he is off, he looks like the "3-L's"; Lazy, Listless & Lethargic.

Fat's game should be kept simple.  He is non-fancy, North-South guy that should punish opposing d-men and driving/crashing the net.  When he is playing grab azz with Horton, he is pretty bad.  Also think the system is designed for more counter-punching than in year's past.  CJ needs to make sure he is unleashing this beast.

Clearly needs to improve consistency, and get back to his keeping his game simple.  Not ready to give up on him, but patience is starting to wear thin.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

You display your ignorance. D men almost always have a negative differential. Comes with the territory.

Oh right, u are the only one that realizes this.