Leaf fan view on the trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Leaf fan view on the trade

First and foremost, I think this deal definitely hurts Toronto for the balance of this year which automatically helps Boston in terms of the #1 pick they got for Kessel.  Leafs have a lot of depth at defense and a lot of young players in the wings.  But for now, they will be weakened.  Still this deal had to take place and the Leafs also get some more cap room.

This is a deal what will help both teams.  Leafs need to get younger and continue the building process.  Colbourne, by all accounts is a good prospect but plays small.  Will be interesting to see if they pair up Kessel with him.  If so, they better get a banger on the other side or it could get ugly.   I think the 1st round pick plus the conditional pick based on a Kaberle extensio is a lot more then I thought they'd get for Kaberle.  The Leafs are going nowhere with Kaberle in the short to medium term.  Leafs now have 2 lower end 1st round picks along with picks in the remaining round (including their 2nd). 
    As a Leaf fan I'm happy with this overall and I think PC overspent a bit to make a better run at the playoffs.

Bruins PP will get MUCH better with Kaberle there surrounded by the Bruin talent. You will be VERY PLEASED on this front.

Kaberle is NOT a great defensive dman, gets knocked off the puck easily.  However, I think the Bruins system and dman personal will help offset that to a large degree.  Kaberle is also great at getting that 1st pass up ice.
    Will help Bruins play with the big boys during the playoffs where PP makes a lot of difference in games.  Watch for your forwards to start getting some sweet passes and Chara to unload from the point.  Bruins are better today after this trade.  They give up no roster spots and they retain their 1st pick from Toronto.

Kaberle will be signed to an extension.  PC must already know this or he wouldn't have made this trade, guaranteed.

I like this deal for both teams, helps Boston a lot for this year and the playoffs, helps the Leafs in their building process.

Kaberle on the Leafs is exposed but still puts up big offensive numbers. Kaberle on the bruins will be less exposed and still get the offensive lift that they need.

Bruins are now in the mix for a great run in my opinion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Leaf fan view on the trade

I was hoping you'd pop in after this.  Always good to hear from someone looking from the other side (espeically one that isn't frothing).

One question, though.  You speak about Kaberle in general terms that sound promising, but how has his recent play been?  I got the impression he looked a bit bad against Boston the other night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Leaf fan view on the trade:
    [QUOTE]I was hoping you'd pop in after this.  Always good to hear from someone looking from the other side (espeically one that isn't frothing). One question, though.  You speak about Kaberle in general terms that sound promising, but how has his recent play been?  I got the impression he looked a bit bad against Boston the other night.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]
    Kaberle has been playing very well lately.  I wouldn't buy the negative comments from some of the posts here.   You can't go on stats alone.  I watch most of their games and he is really slick out there.  He isn't great defensively, but pairing him up with Ferrence or someone that plays well back there will compensate.

He will excel in Boston.

PC made a gutsy move and I think it will pay off for the Bruins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks LRH.  I think you guys came out on top on this one.  I agree that the Leafs unloading does help the B's in terms of the draft pick, but the first round pick and Colborne seems like a great return to me.

I've watched a lot of Colborne over his career and I think he is a slow developer with uncanny similarities to Joe Thornton (who faced all of the same criticism early on).  Colborne won't be a stud next year, but I think he will be a good NHL player someday.  Further, I don't think that having Kaberle for the rest of the year means much of anything to the Leafs.  I would be very excited about this deal if I were you.

As for the Bruins, I think they gave up too much, but if Kaberle can really help the Powerplay and transition game, it will be hard to complain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Hey a sensible leaf fan.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    Me living in the GTA has to deal with too many of the ones who aren't.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Kessel for Seguin, TOs 2012 #1 for Colborne (essentially), Jared Knight for TOs 2011 2nd pick, Bruins 2012 #1 for Tomas Kaberle is how I see this in the long run."

Where PC came out on top a bit is he still has TOs 2012 #1 as LRH mentions but Colborne could possibly explode in Toronto so the jury is still out right ?

I say again I'm convinced this deal was hatched in Oct. of 2009 on a handshake because PC just didn't have the cap room for Kaberle during the Kessel trade.

Brian Burke now has two #1 draft picks Philly's and Boston's not to shabby.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

You gotta pair Chara with Kaberle...let Kaberle take some chances offensively

Then you pair Kampfer with Seidenberg, and Boychuk with McQuaid/Ference

Our top 4 D looks a lot better now

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

If Kaberle isn't signed and/or Boston does not win a Cup, this is deal that again failed.

I still think Boston needs a winger who can score otherwise this is more of the same.

He will help the PP which was a must.  Yes.

Edit: I did not know Peverly could play some wing.  Maybe this works and serves the purpose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

[QUOTE]You gotta pair Chara with Kaberle...let Kaberle take some chances offensively Then you pair Kampfer with Seidenberg, and Boychuk with McQuaid/Ference Our top 4 D looks a lot better now
    Posted by KrayzieJoe[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Right now, I'd go with McQuaid and Ference and let Boychuk watch for a bit.

Interesting to read LRH's comments - obviously a real fan and an appreciator of the game.

Regarding a later post on Colborne, I see him more in the mode of a Blake Wheeler than a Joe Thornton.  I was disturbed when Thornton was shipped.  When Big Blake was sent onward today ... not so much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It always helps when the comments are without prejudice. PC has wanted Kaberle for two years or more. Unfortunate that the bruins do not still have Rammer as a guiding light. Maybe PC needs to look at the coaching next.Stuart will evolve under Rammer, and he may use Wheels at center where he seemed more comfortable. Don't know much about Peverly, but, he would have to be lights out to replace Kelly at center. The biggest challenge will be watching how Claude decides who will make up the lines. Kelly has speed to play with seguin, does Peverly have similiar capabilities? Ryder/Kelly/Seguin might do well if Slyder can play well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

i think its just human nature as a fan to overvalue what you give up and undervalue what you get back.  Colborne while here wasn't bad but as soon as he gets traded the thought is damn he's gonna be a star.  That being said, it seems Burke finally made a very smart deal.  To get what he did for a player that only wanted to go one place and is a ufa is very impressive.  I can just imagine what his initial offer was though, probably seguin and lucic and a first. 

I don't agree with PC knowing he can resign kaberle being a driving force behind this deal, his chances of signing him in the offseason are just as great whether he already has him or not.  This is a trade for a rental with the hope of resigning.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Thanks LRH...I was hoping for your slant on things and I think your observations are excellent. It's tough to be objective when you're a fan of a team but you manage to do that. I'm not sure what you did in a past life to be burdened with the leafs for your team, though. I suspect there has been some sort of mix up because you deserve better. :P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Thanks to LoveRealHockey for his great analysis ! !

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Kaberle is not a miracle worker and never was. Defenses figured him out on the power play years ago - that's why McCabe was let go.

One  thing you can expect from Kaberle, though, is that he will re-sign with the Leafs, barring a Stanley Cup win by Boston - and that is highly unlikely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Why would McCabe be let go if Kaberle is the worse player at that position or on the PP from the point?

That makes no sense.

Kaberle />McCabe by a good margin.

I am as cyncial as anyone and that made no sense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticBear68. Show CelticBear68's posts

My impression was McCabe was let go when the "new" measures to reduce clutching and grabbing started being enforced, making him and his signature "can opener" move a liability.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

One thing a Kaberle-watcher can honestly say is he's been consistent and steady in his play over the years on some very poor Leaf teams.  It should be interesting to see what playing with a contending club does for him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Why would McCabe be let go if Kaberle is the worse player at that position or on the PP from the point? That makes no sense. Kaberle />McCabe by a good margin. I am as cyncial as anyone and that made no sense.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

That was kind of like the Chara/Redden debate a few years back. I think TO made the right choice then and now we are going to benefit from it much like we did when we got Chara...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Leaf fan view on the trade:[QUOTE] Defenses figured him out on the power play years ago - that's why McCabe was let go. One  thing you can expect from Kaberle, though, is that he will re-sign with the Leafs, barring a Stanley Cup win by Boston - and that is highly unlikely. Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Wrong the Leafs let McCabe go because Kaberle is so good Toronto didn't need the extra #2 dman. Another wrong is tonight Tomas told Naoko right on camera that he was not going to re-sign with the Leafs no intention.

PS. "Kaberle has 3rd highest PP assist total in behind Thornton/Crosby over last 6 yrs w/157"

Hey Extra, Extra get you facts here! Extra Extra!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Bruins only win on this deal if they can re-sign Kaberle (or they win the Cup.)

I question his heart and his fit in a defensive system.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

Well, if he publicly stated he will not resign with the Leafs after this year and it has been made known that the only team he would be traded to was Boston (or Boston was his first choice), I'd say there is a good chance he resigns here.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77ray77. Show 77ray77's posts

[QUOTE]Well, if he publicly stated he will not resign with the Leafs after this year and it has been made known that the only team he would be traded to was Boston (or Boston was his first choice), I'd say there is a good chance he resigns here.
    Posted by 306bruinsfan[/QUOTE]
    I dont know how many of you watched the brian burke interview on the trade, bot he stated that he was not willing to extend kaberle for the amount of money he thought it was going to take, that being said i believe he will re-up with the bruins, this was his choice, this is where he wants to play