Leafs at Bruins 1/14 gdt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Leafs at Bruins 1/14 gdt

plenty of time to sort things out for the playoffs...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

In response to Ramz's comment:

First road  regulation win for the leafs since Oct 30th.!!! Guys we need more scoring from our 1st line!!!!

this was all about special teams and average goaltending

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Lots of time for sure but they need a top 4 D to replace #44. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Rask has been horribly inconsistent lately, last two goals should be easy saves for him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Rask has been horribly inconsistent lately, last two goals should be easy saves for him

I have been leading the charge lately on Rask inconsistency... But tonite , you could blame him on Gardiner goal, but the others were poor defensive coverage , terrible clear out by D... Last goal went off Chara stick and changed direction... Stuff happens... Not the reason they lost...lack of PP and PK main reason....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Tuukka's stats

In DecemberGAA 2.22 SV .927%
    In January GAA 2.68 SV .911%

Actually thought Rask's numbers would look worse considering how bad the defense has been in front of him. Not great but not horrible either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

In response to xdrive's comment:

I have been leading the charge lately on Rask inconsistency... But tonite , you could blame him on Gardiner goal, but the others were poor defensive coverage , terrible clear out by D... Last goal went off Chara stick and changed direction... Stuff happens... Not the reason they lost...lack of PP and PK main reason....

Thats the only weak one i saw also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Tuukka's stats

Actually thought Rask's numbers would look worse considering how bad the defense has been in front of him. Not great but not horrible either.

Are you saying that his numbers wouldnt be good on a bad team?  Dont get me started.   Dont do it.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

We need a top 4 D, move Erikson back to the second line, Smith to the third and replace Sods via trade bc he brings nothing to the table.  Rask needs some rest cuz he's on pace for 70 games plus the Olympics.  Also, can we buy a second hand PP somewhere or someone who can one time the cross ice passes?  Goalies are getting across long before we get a shot off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

The penalty kill is not the same without Seidenberg.  They need to make a trade to bring in someone who can at least partially fill his shoes.

The lack of a consistent effort by this team is frustrating.  There are going to be up and down periods in a long season but this team is up and down period to period.  After being so good and playing 60 minutes in San Jose they played sporadic tonight against a defensively porous leafs team. Miller, Boychuk and McQuaid (dumb pinch leading to a penalty)/Rask all made sleepy plays that led to the first 3 leaf goals.  Once they were down 4-2 the push we knew was coming happened and they swarmed the leafs.  I am not saying they could have done that the whole game but this team is so good that they win many games playing only 2 periods or half a game.  It is a bad habit with this team which is overlooked because they still win.

The problem is if they want to win another Cup they need to be able to match the consistency of Chicago or LA.  The Cup last year was likely Boston's if they won game 4 at home but they allowed 5 goals in regulation and lost in overtime.  I thought I was happy with one Cup but I think guys like Chara, Bergeron, Lucic and Krejci should be hailed as multlple champions. Iggy needs a Cup and Rask needs one as the starter.  For this to happen there has to be less Jekyll and Hyde moments and a consistent killer instinct.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Tuukka's stats

When the D starts slipping, the goalie is going to feel the reverberations, and that's what's happening.  2 goals were on Rask; 2 on a horrible PK.  But that's really a symptom of both components on the back end being out of sync.

Rask DID win them that game in SJ by standing on his head.  So, he hasn't "lost it" by any stretch, but he will if this sloppy, scrambling D play keeps up.

I don't know what the answer is, but it most assuredly means they need someone to fill Seid's skates imho.  This team isn't built to win by giving up 4 - or even 3 - goals a game.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Tuukka's stats

When the D starts slipping, the goalie is going to feel the reverberations, and that's what's happening.  2 goals were on Rask; 2 on a horrible PK.  But that's really a symptom of both components on the back end being out of sync.

Rask DID win them that game in SJ by standing on his head.  So, he hasn't "lost it" by any stretch, but he will if this sloppy, scrambling D play keeps up.

I don't know what the answer is, but it most assuredly means they need someone to fill Seid's skates imho.  This team isn't built to win by giving up 4 - or even 3 - goals a game.  

Isnt that why they pay the goalie large bills.  I indicated that any above average goalie would have awesome stats in boston system with the team structure built around def 1st.  So now that a guy like seidz goes down and rasks numbers go up?   I indicated freely that this year be a testing year for me with Rask for the following reasons:

1.   He has never played a heavy work load.  Well he is now closing in on the most gms started in his career and its the half way pt of the year.  

2.  He was insulated with a very strong top 6 def.  he doesnt have this. He has a lot of rookies jumping in

3.  The pressure that goes with a big money deal.  

For me to date he has done a fantastic job.  I think his play has been elite.  the scary part for me of the above noted is number 1.  Im very concerned about last yrs long playoff run, tied in with a heavy workload season, olympics then playoff stretch.  He needs some rest but im not sure how you rest the guy you pay the most.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We're all gonna die!!!!

How short are your memories, people?

Things went pretty well in the playoffs last, year, right?  I mean, a couple of weird bounces away from a Cup?  Dominated the Pingu?  Anyone complaining about that?

"But Book, that was when they had Seidenberg and Horton and Seguin - this team is so much worse!"

Remember the last 10 regular season games last year when the Bruins and Scabs engaged in a turtle derby to see who could forfeit the division title?  Bruins gave up 4 to the Devils (won 5-4), the lost 2-1 to the Isles, then gave up 4 again in a loss to Carolina, then 3 to Buffalo (L) then 3 to Pittsburgh (L) - brief interlude where they pumped the Panthers 3-0 - gave up 5 to the Flyers (L) - brief interlude to pump the Lightning - 3 to Washington, 4 to Ottawa to end the regular season on a two game losing streak.  That's a 2.80 GAA for the team, but much like this last stretch, it's a lot worse if you take out the shutouts - 3.50.  That's what the Oilers have as a team GAA this year, so it's basically brutally awful.

In that stretch, Carolina had two PPG, then the next game Buffalo had two PPG, then the next game the Penguins had two PPG (one by Iginla).  The Flyers didn't have a PPG in their 5 spot, and it was sandwiched by shutouts, but then the Caps got all three of their goals on the PP.  The Bruins gave up 21 PPG all year, but 9 of them in this one bad stretch amounting to just under a fifth of the season.  And they had that PK superstar Dennis Seidenberg and Andrew Ference.

Two years ago, there was a similar stretch at the beginning of March, with the Bruins giving up 3, 3, 4, 4, 1, 4, 5, 6, 6 before righting the ship again.  That's 4 goals/game.

They are never perfect all year.  Not when they had Thomas, and not now with Rask.  Not when they had a younger version of Seidenberg and Chara.  They're "off" on the PK at the moment.  They get that back to locking down 20+ in a row between goals and they'll be winning more often.

Relax, guys.  You need a rest.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

Hope so

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

I'd like to remind everyone.......last year, we won game 7 without Seidenberg, and then beat the Rangers in the second round - without losing a game in regulation.

I miss him too, but God dammmit, it's the middle of the regular season, let the players figure it out. Let the youngsters learn and grow, while they have this opportunity.

Let's not sell out the store, and lose the youngens, just because you want a few more wins when they don't count.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Exactly, wheats.  When things are going well, you hear all sorts of people b**ch and moan about the Bruins not playing the kids and how Julien loves his vets.  Now, when team is losing a few games, the pressure is on and people want to replace the kids and new guys with someone else.  Because, you know, we're all gonna die.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Tuukka's stats

Isnt that why they pay the goalie large bills.  I indicated that any above average goalie would have awesome stats in boston system with the team structure built around def 1st.  So now that a guy like seidz goes down and rasks numbers go up?   I indicated freely that this year be a testing year for me with Rask for the following reasons:

1.   He has never played a heavy work load.  Well he is now closing in on the most gms started in his career and its the half way pt of the year.  

2.  He was insulated with a very strong top 6 def.  he doesnt have this. He has a lot of rookies jumping in

3.  The pressure that goes with a big money deal.  

For me to date he has done a fantastic job.  I think his play has been elite.  the scary part for me of the above noted is number 1.  Im very concerned about last yrs long playoff run, tied in with a heavy workload season, olympics then playoff stretch.  He needs some rest but im not sure how you rest the guy you pay the most.  

He had enough rest during summer - this rest thing is blown out of proportiinss. Ref- see brodeur

He's playing the way he's playing that's it .he's going have to come through in playoffs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

I'd like to remind everyone.......last year, we won game 7 without Seidenberg, and then beat the Rangers in the second round - without losing a game in regulation.

I miss him too, but God dammmit, it's the middle of the regular season, let the players figure it out. Let the youngsters learn and grow, while they have this opportunity.

Let's not sell out the store, and lose the youngens, just because you want a few more wins when they don't count.

Nice Wheats, the young guys ar ebeing asked to do more and you know their are going to be bumps. I think this is PC's mindset, he'll evaluate it come deadline and if he hasnt seen enough improvement he'll adress it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The fact is they do need to do something about the loss of seids, Krug and bartowski simply need a break from the game, rotate, miller so far not bad but what about the mistakes of the top 3, chara Mcquaid and boychuk, it seems no ones leading the harge in the back end. Rask again questionable and with no reliable backup in net theres a serious problem. Rask is on pace to play 70 games, thats too much.. I mentioned this before until they do something on the back end, this team is simply a 500 hockey team. Up front the top 2 lines are just too sporatic on offense, the 3rd line, 2nd game back for eriksson hes looking energized, that line might be better in short time. The 4th line is what it is

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I can agree with all let's not panic , this team is still very good . Although if we look at last years in the final the Bruins were missing that something, a gamebreaker , some like to point the finger at Seguin (yes if he could have styarted scoring the Bruins win the cup) .  They were missing an element to go over the top.

The fact remains this team is about the same, with Seidenberg or with a replacement.  Bottom  line they will compete but I doubt very much they will win a cup (isn't this the goal ?)and who knows might be too tired for the 1st round (Olympics , short summer and taxed players, Chara, Rask, Bergeron etc...) . Unless Chiarelli gets lucky and pulls a rabbit out of hat (or a hat out of rabbit) .  Missing an element to go over the top.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Special teams and goaltending let them down again,not much else that can be said,about this game on to the next.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I can agree with all let's not panic , this team is still very good . Although if we look at last years in the final the Bruins were missing that something, a gamebreaker , some like to point the finger at Seguin (yes if he could have styarted scoring the Bruins win the cup) .  They were missing an element to go over the top.

The fact remains this team is about the same, with Seidenberg or with a replacement.  Bottom  line they will compete but I doubt very much they will win a cup (isn't this the goal ?)and who knows might be too tired for the 1st round (Olympics , short summer and taxed players, Chara, Rask, Bergeron etc...) . Unless Chiarelli gets lucky and pulls a rabbit out of hat (or a hat out of rabbit) .  Missing an element to go over the top.

Don't know B's.  If healthy and firing on all cylinders, I'll take this years team over last.  Just MO, but I really felt the B's had some bad karma in the finals last year.(same as Pitts vs the Bruins).  I feel like the B's were the better team, just didn't work out for whatever reason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

We're all gonna die!!!!

How short are your memories, people?

Things went pretty well in the playoffs last, year, right?  I mean, a couple of weird bounces away from a Cup?  Dominated the Pingu?  Anyone complaining about that?

They are never perfect all year.  

I still say that was the only difference from winning that series......and ,oh yeah....Jagr & Sequins scoring a facking goal or two!!

Sections
Shortcuts