Leafs hire....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Leafs hire....

I know his name is Dubas, and it's not supposed to be just short for du(m)bas(s), but this is an interesting situation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457687" rel="nofollow">http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457687

They're ditching Dave Poulin and Claude Loiselle and bringing in a 28yr old guy who got his first GM job in Jr Hockey when he was 25.  It has all the earmarks of a cliched story of the wonderkind who took a different path trying to change the stodgy failing institution, and the old guard guys who get pushed out to make room for him.  And it also feels a lot like Shanahan doing what MacTavish said he'd to in Edmonton - make bold moves.

So two guys with 20 years of NHL playing experience combined are out, and a kid who spent a couple of years as an agent then four years running a junior franchise in the Soo (DNQ, DNQ, first round exit, second round exit...) comes in with a "fresh approach" and "some good ideas"?  You know what that reminds me of?  When the Leafs hired Gord Stellick as the youngest GM in the history of the league.  And he traded away the pick that became Neidermeyer for Tom Kurvers.  "Fresh!"

This should be interesting to watch, at least...and I can't help but think it makes Stanley's quest that much less ridiculous.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Leafs hire....

His bread and butter is advanced statistics. Think moneyball.

Time will tell if this is the right approach or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

His youth reminds me of when the Leafs hired 30 year old Gord Stellick as GM in '88. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

His youth reminds me of when the Leafs hired 30 year old Gord Stellick as GM in '88. 

[/QUOTE]

And we all know how that turned out......he is a writer for Sportsnet now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"He gets on base."

"But what about that one veteran ?"

"No!"

"Why not ?"

"The other cheap player gets on base."

Baseball doesn't have a cap and that is why there is disparity between small market teams and big market teams. Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Florida are hoping for Tampa, New Jersey and Carolina gold  at some point.

When the Islanders and A's start spending "Suite Money", they won't need any new metrics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I am no great fan of Moneyball; it's either a flawed idea or it's misunderstood.  It's flawed if it's supposed to produce champions, among other things; it's strength is in identifying players who contribute more than they get paid to because the metrics they're best at aren't well-correlated to salary (that is, nobody cares so there's no market for these guys).  That strength diminishes in direct proportion to how pervasive the basic idea becomes - so when a guy like Epstein builds in guys like Youkalis but then turns around and pays goofy money to Ramirez, Ortiz and anyone else he can convince.

In hockey, I don't think there's much of a case for a parallel in advanced stats.  The Cap has already pushed teams to consider how to distribute value across the lineup, with "good possession numbers" being another way of describing what people expect of either solid third lines/fourth lines or two way players.  If that's his "fresh approach" then, well, I don't foresee an end to that drought that is nearing half a century.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Advanced stats is garbage.  In hockey, it can tell you what happened, but not what will happen.

I've written way too much about it, so I'm not doing it again.  

I will offer up, however, the only two bits of info you need on advanced stats:

1.  Scott Gomez is a possession monster.

2.  Ovechkin is done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:[QUOTE]I am no great fan of Moneyball; it's either a flawed idea or it's misunderstood.  It's flawed if it's supposed to produce champions, among other things; it's strength is in identifying players who contribute more than they get paid to because the metrics they're best at aren't well-correlated to salary (that is, nobody cares so there's no market for these guys).  That strength diminishes in direct proportion to how pervasive the basic idea becomes - so when a guy like Epstein builds in guys like Youkalis but then turns around and pays goofy money to Ramirez, Ortiz and anyone else he can convince.[/QUOTE]

I think in Billy's case he had no other choice. The meeting with John Henry is a pretty clear indicator. Imagine a young GM going to Henry and asking "Can we eat $275K in this trade ?"...all day long.

Basing it on championships the As failed. Trying something new to try n stay out of the AL West basement, sell more hotdogs...kept Beane's job and Oakland has had some competitive teams - I think Beane wins. Cashman and Cherington don't need sabermetrics.

Hockey, Basketball and Football gotta have scouts and amazing accountants to understand the three different salary caps. I look at the way Julien goes down to Providence and watches games, "well that prospect still plays at the end of his stick", not coming up to Boston.  

Baseball GMs will try a pogo stick, on a wire between two skyscrapers if they don't have the Dodgers, Stainkees, Phillies or Red Sox cash. Baseball will never have a cap.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If advanced stats work, I'd say they are more for baseball where it is more individual vs individual...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Soon as I heard this............hey that's the guy who hired Sheldon Keefe as his SSM coach..........who was part of the Dave Frost-Mike Danton/Jefferson saga.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Good luck to the Leafs.  Hopefully Dubas has the leadership to handle one of the biggest franchises in the league.

Press conference:

http://youtu.be/0pq52_6e2fU

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And we all know how that turned out......he is a writer for Sportsnet now.

[/QUOTE]

Well, if Dubas has a hand in trading Lupul for Jay Rosehill the memories of Stellick as GM will come flooding back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo, baseball is made for the fantasy play, and the cell phone age group.  The only question is will they teach their children the 19th century game.  I think so in the post concussion period of sports.  Not too much contact in baseball.  

On hockey, stats are nebulus at best.  Correctly put Kel.  

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If advanced stats work, I'd say they are more for baseball where it is more individual vs individual...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This reminds me of the time they hired Gord Stellick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Who cares.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Soon as I heard this............hey that's the guy who hired Sheldon Keefe as his SSM coach..........who was part of the Dave Frost-Mike Danton/Jefferson saga.

[/QUOTE]

I know...and my impression of Keefe is that he should be sending Danton thank you cards for being the guy who took the majority of the heat and publicity.  There was always something about Keefe that bugged me, even before the Frost stuff veered into Law and Order episodes.

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Who cares.

[/QUOTE]

The hockey world.....according to Leaf fans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Wasn't Gordon Stellick hired by the Lerfs and he was really young with no experience?

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No that was Gordon Gecko.  Gord Stellick is the lead singer of the Tragically Hip.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who cares.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

According to Leaf fans, they are the hockey world. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No that was Gordon Gecko.  Gord Stellick is the lead singer of the Tragically Hip.

[/QUOTE]

No. Gord Stellick starred in Magnum. P. I.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Who cares.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great point JM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

The kid has a 92% chance of lasting with the Leafs in 3 years or less.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

I am stupid...How do you apply sabermetrics to hockey? Based upon plus minus ratings? It is a fluid sport.

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Dubas is a nerd.

Nerd

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.