Leafs Pick revisited

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Leafs Pick revisited

I was starting to get on board with potentially moving the Leafs pick because they are playing better and potentially climbing up and I really want the B's to push for the cup NOW.  The fact is the Leafs are still a lottery position despite winning some games.  I'm pretty sure the Devils will pass them very soon moving them into 27th.  I can only see the Leafs passing Florida and even they will be tough to pass depending on how much more they blow it up before the deadline. 

Basically I THINK this will still be a top 5 and probably top 4 pick so it would hurt to lose that pick to acquire pretty much anyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: Leafs Pick revisited

I was just looking at the standings and NYI are charging hard and could end up ahead of Toronto.  Edmonton and Ottawa are hopeless, so a #3 position is the best we can hope for, and it isn't out of the question.  While last year was vital to get into the top 2, this year I'm eyeing the top three, getting one of Couturier, Larson, or Nugent-Hopkins.  Toss Landeskog in there and fourth looks pretty good to. The deal would have to be very good for me to pull the trigger. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

I agree the Devils and the Islanders are playing really well right now.  If only Florida could do the same.  The Sens and Oilers forget about them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It's worth it to be in that bunch of picks with 8% or greater chance of #1. 

And the Bruins will be.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Words out of my mouth BadHab - the top 5 or 6 are all blue chippers and then this draft falls way off. A shot at getting Larrson, Couturier, Ladeskog or RNH? Especially that top D?

Keep the pick - remember we grabbed Bourque with 8, so you never know.

So my question is, if the Leafs win the lottery, who should the B's take first overall?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Revisiting this pick another way, compare Kessel to Seguin first years in the NHL.
    Kessel comes into the league older than Seguin did and Kessel gets much more ice time, 70 games and 11 goals.

Seguin already has 8 goals in 51 games, and to restate younger than Kessel, with less ice time that Kessel.

About Knight, one sign I always look for is a 'point progression' in jr.  Guys who get less points after they get drafted - most of the time it is a sign of trouble.  Knight will surpass his totals of last year, he has 54 pts in 52 games, over a pt a game which ain't half bad.  Last year he had 57 pts in 63 games.  He's projecting OK so far. At least IMO.

Then there's this year's pick.  Keep it or trade it, it's 100% sure that it's a top 8 pick - and that's if the Leafs catch fire and go white hot.  And most likely a top 5 pick.  That's a pretty decent pick with the odds on that it will be a decent player.  If the pick is dealt, it will be for somebody pretty decent that's for sure.

If you don't think the Bruins were right to do this deal, you are a stark raving lunatic.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs Pick revisited:
    [QUOTE]Words out of my mouth BadHab - the top 5 or 6 are all blue chippers and then this draft falls way off. A shot at getting Larrson, Couturier, Ladeskog or RNH? Especially that top D? Keep the pick - remember we grabbed Bourque with 8, so you never know. So my question is, if the Leafs win the lottery, who should the B's take first overall?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Red, I am also of the opinion that PC does not trade this pick, and I don't think he will unless he gets Brad Richards , and signs him to a long term deal .. and I dont think that is going to happen,.. To answer your question about #1 pick for the Bruins if the stars align... I like offense and a kid who has some toughness to his game..Landeskog would make a great Bruin pick.. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Words out of my mouth BadHab - the top 5 or 6 are all blue chippers and then this draft falls way off. A shot at getting Larrson, Couturier, Ladeskog or RNH? Especially that top D? Keep the pick - remember we grabbed Bourque with 8, so you never know. So my question is, if the Leafs win the lottery, who should the B's take first overall?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I can't even answer that question.  The very thought has put my mind into ecstasy.  I might have just wet my pants, I'm not even sure.

oh - the very idea!  First, I'd go back and dig up all my old posts.  Then I would totally unload on those Kessel loving boneheads.  oh boy would I ever hand it to them.  I would make NAS look like a cross between my fairy godmother and the good witch of the west.

oh oh oh.  that would feel soooooo good - stomping their tiny little brains out.

I'm trying to come up with a simile (or whatever the word is, NAS will know), except I can't think of one.  A kid in a candy store?  No, the #1 would be way better...  way better... the Habs franchise moved to Las Vegas?  No, that #1 would be better...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The volcano of Mount Royal (which is in Montreal) blew and all of its eruption landed on the Bell Centre during a Leafs vs. Habs game?

And is parrallel the word you're looking for?

PS I'm glad I helped put you into ecstacy - I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've done that to a guy.;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It has to be really simple.  You don't trade the pick for the best offer you get.  You trade the pick if you're getting what you really want.  So when Chiarelli says he'd consider it, I don't think he sits down on Feb 27 and goes over the proposals and just picks the best one.  It has to be a proven, young, #2 D with an offensive dimension to his game, or it has to be young, high-end offensive player.  Otherwise you don't do it.  Anything else is like money burning a hole in your pocket - that is, your asset goes away and you end up with little to show for it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Keep the Leafs pick. The only way they don't is if they feel they don't need it (they do) OR there is truly a 'gamechanger' (Chiarelli's word for a potential deal they were looking at last week) to be had with it - a Teamchanger, like Zach Parise. (not likely)

The Bruins should stay out of the UFA/Rental vortex, after games with Detroit this weekend I would not classify this Bruins team as 'one player away', they would be merely throwing picks/prospects away.

The only reason to look at Tomas Kaberle, would be to make the Leafs worse down the stretch...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Someone will take Kaberle and make the Laffs worse.  Chiarelli doesn't need to do it.

I thought they looked pretty good for long stretches against Detroit, but the Wings managed to ride out some good pressure and some good play by the Bruins.  If Krejci stops waiting so long to make a play that the opposition could stop for a sandwich on their way back to the offensive zone, I think yesterday's game could have gone differently.

Come to think of it, if the Bruins don't gift the Wings about four goals over the two games, the whole home and home looks very different.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]It has to be really simple.  You don't trade the pick for the best offer you get.  You trade the pick if you're getting what you really want.  So when Chiarelli says he'd consider it, I don't think he sits down on Feb 27 and goes over the proposals and just picks the best one.  It has to be a proven, young, #2 D with an offensive dimension to his game, or it has to be young, high-end offensive player.  Otherwise you don't do it.  Anything else is like money burning a hole in your pocket - that is, your asset goes away and you end up with little to show for it.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    I agree Book, it has to be for a Richards or Parise, signed long term, otherwise keep the pick. I wouldn't be against trading our own...put the Toronto pick Uh-Uh. We have all seen what happened on the weekend.....this team has some work to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I was just looking at the standings and NYI are charging hard and could end up ahead of Toronto.  Edmonton and Ottawa are hopeless, so a #3 position is the best we can hope for, and it isn't out of the question.  While last year was vital to get into the top 2, this year I'm eyeing the top three, getting one of Couturier, Larson, or Nugent-Hopkins.  Toss Landeskog in there and fourth looks pretty good to. The deal would have to be very good for me to pull the trigger. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget HUBERDEAU.The scouts are really starting to take notice even though he's been making noise all season long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Declan26. Show Declan26's posts

Have you guys seen Toronto's upcoming schedule for the rest of the season? It only gets tougher, I'm all for trading for some serious talent, but if that player or package isn't worth it, why trade a possible top 5 pick, maybe even top 3 pick? I see NJ passing Toronto, so that's one more team out of the bottom 5. Even with any upgrades the Leafs make, they still have a tough schedule, i don't see them getting out of the bottom 5...GO B's!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs Pick revisited : Don't forget HUBERDEAU.The scouts are really starting to take notice even though he's been making noise all season long.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Who-Berdeau?  I've never heard of him.  I'll have to do some research. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Ryan Murphy is starting to be the guy I would like to see if it's the 5 spot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs Pick revisited : Who-Berdeau?  I've never heard of him.  I'll have to do some research. 
    I think you'll be surprised to see how he stacks up versus Coutourier.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would like Murphy as well.  This draft is deep as opposed to top-loaded like last year.  I would take anyone in the top 8 or so.  For that reason I wouldn't move the pick regardless if it gets worse or better, it's a toss-up as to which prospects are best this year, but they are all quite good.  Hopkins might be the best, but some scouts have him out of the top 5.  Keep the pick and get a good young player to compliment Seguin for years to come.

[QUOTE]Ryan Murphy is starting to be the guy I would like to see if it's the 5 spot.
    Posted by derrickmorin[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Richards is too old to be trading a top-5 pick for, plus he eats up too much cap space. Not worth more than $5M at the age of 32. He'll be going downhill by the time that Leaf pick starts making an impact....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I remember Chiarelli mentioning last summer one of the offers he received for last years TO pick he said "WoW" when he saw it but didn't pull the trigger so if he were to do it the offer would have to be more than "WoW".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs Pick revisited : I think you'll be surprised to see how he stacks up versus Coutourier.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I watched some utube stuff and ya, he looks good.  Nice size and isn't afraid to use it.  Has some offensive upside too.  Could do worse for sure, and ya, Coutourier seems to be slipping a little.  The B's scouts will be earning their keep with this one.  Tough decision with the 3-4 spot.  I think Larson is the clear #1, especially given the B's needs.  After that, who knows. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs Pick revisited : I watched some utube stuff and ya, he looks good.  Nice size and isn't afraid to use it.  Has some offensive upside too.  Could do worse for sure, and ya, Coutourier seems to be slipping a little.  The B's scouts will be earning their keep with this one.  Tough decision with the 3-4 spot.  I think Larson is the clear #1, especially given the B's needs.  After that, who knows. 
    He plays in my hometown so I'm a little biased but Huberdeau has steadily climbed the rankings all year.He seems like a lock for top 10 now but I wouldn't be shocked if he cracks the top 5(depending on the needs of the teams drafting).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'd be much happier with Shea Weber on the team and locked up long term than with a draft pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]I'd be much happier with Shea Weber on the team and locked up long term than with a draft pick.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Are you thinking straight up 1 for 1?  In that case I could be convinced.  If other assets are involved, depending what they are it gets complicated.  I really like where this team could be 3-5 years from now.  I'm not willing to jeopardize that for an immediate improvement unless it is a piece that makes a cup run a realistic goal.  I don't think Weber does that.  I'm not sure that deal is out there to be made.  So, I'm back to hanging on to it.

Sections
Shortcuts